• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe

VagrantFarce

Let's settle this one right here right now, what the hell differentiates these two and how can one figure out the difference in themselves?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fe: values are based on the object (external, group, etc);
Fi: values are based on the subject (personal or universal)

To figure out which you prefer, just think where you get your values from. Self or others. Now, for T's, it will be more difficult, since (as I have come to see) in a nonpreferred position, the differentiation of e and i is a bit more fuzzy. F in general is basically a rejected function, but its two attitudes will come up in one complex or another; one of them likely more negative or "shadowy" than the other. But that's a more advanced level of the theory.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fe tends to be more concerned with external societal rules, etiquette, politeness, and encouraging others to do the same.

Fi tends to be more focused on internal values and is concerned with ethics as an end to themselves, and not necessarily so much the societal rules of polite behavior. Fi wants to be authentically an individual, and in theory allows others to be their individual selves with less interference. This is debatable, apparently.

They both seem kind of warm and fuzzy, touchy-feely and sensitive I guess, so therein lies the confusion, particularly for a T.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, pretty much what has been said. Also, the way I see it...

Fe = likes to be liked by others

Fi = likes to be true to themselves

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The difference of E and I is essentially always a matter of point of reference. Feeling is about personal/interpersonal values. Introversion is looking to a standard made within, Extraversion is looking to a standard made without. Put it all together.

Fi use: Concern with following self-established values.
Fe use: Concern with following socially established values.*

*Where social simply refers to the stuff of other people, and does not necessarilly have to do with popularity or authority.

redacted

Let's settle this one right here right now, what the hell differentiates these two and how can one figure out the difference in themselves?

Feeling - value judgments (good, bad, cool, not cool, etc.)
Fe - value judgments with the mentality that you don't want to miss an environmental factor before judging. So like, Fe continuously checks with the current situation at the cost of being able to devote processing time to going in depth in value judgments. In other words, why would I go in depth about one judgment if i'm missing a key factor?
Fi - value judgments with the mentality that the environment will distract from the ability to go into depth. As in, why would I waste my attention on everything in the environment -- it has nothing to do with what's actually GOOD or RIGHT.

There's a processing tradeoff between looking at everything going on and analyzing the factors you already have in depth. Fe prefers the breadth (what's going on) and Fi prefers the depth (what's already being thought about).

By the way, it's a myth that Fe users somehow gets their values from other people. Or that they directly care about other people's feelings. It's just that they're more likely to pay attention to other people and their feelings because they view those things as relevant environmental factors.

Edit: it's not realistic to think anyone is purely extroverted or purely introverted in their feeling, either. I and E just define opposing ends of a spectrum. It's completely possible for anyone to come to the exact same value judgments, regardless of their so-called preference. And even if someone was purely introverted or purely extroverted in their feeling, their perceiving functions or thinking function could be going in the opposite direction, which confounds the whole issue. The factors that introversion focuses on could come from extroverted functions, etc. etc.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By the way, it's a myth that Fe users somehow gets their values from other people. Or that they directly care about other people's feelings. It's just that they're more likely to pay attention to other people and their feelings because they view those things as relevant environmental factors.

One might argue that Fe and Fi users alike get their values from other people...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mine fight each other back and forth...but fi's hardcore...she always wins :D

redacted

One might argue that Fe and Fi users alike get their values from other people...

Sure, or that they've biologically evolved and there's some sort of distribution, or whatever. My point was more that Fe users aren't necessarily conformists and Fi users aren't necessarily individualists. It's just a different overall focus.

Vague

MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know this is way too old a thread, but could someone theorize on how Fe vs Fi will act when in love? How do those two function users love, really?

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Fi is subjective feeling, Fe is objective feeling. They make judgements and assumptions, that is all.

Fi pays attention to their internal sense of whether something feels harmonious or discordant, good or bad, or whatever their internal feeling about something may be. External factors take a backseat to this internal feeling.

Fe pays attention to external factors: the emotions and needs of others and social consensus. It makes judgements based on these external factors.

gromit

likes this
I know this is way too old a thread, but could someone theorize on how Fe vs Fi will act when in love? How do those two function users love, really?

Have you read about the love languages? That is something that a lot of people find helpful in terms of showing love in relationships.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fi and Fe are...

the same thing

configured differently.

/might not be true

Vague

MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] Very interesting!

[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] Well, I didn't know about it, thanks. I did a test online and seems that my preferred love language is "quality time" followed by "physical touch". What's the analysis? Is it representative of Fi ?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^maybe. Mine is 'words' followed by quality time, which seems pretty Fe. And i think S's tends to be gifts.

gromit

likes this
Are you looking to apply to a particular relationship, or more curious about correlations?