• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many Ns are in general population ?

how many Ns are in general population, in your opinion ?

• Total voters

Chloe

I know different autors state different %, from 50% - 20% of Ns.
I'm not sure what to think, also because I usually count as Ns only people who are very N... but other who seem S could also score N.
well, use a poll! :)
+i doubt it's very different from state to state, so just answer how you see it in place/country where you live.

Unique

Going by your logic then... sensors should only count as sensors if they score highly on the S

After all they don't serve us "real" sensors much
:doh:

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm, we need a new letter for those that fall in between. It's a wider range than X, so....

Q?

;)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is probably not the type of question that should be answered with a poll.

G

garbage

Time to sit back and watch intuitives vote for some outrageously low percentage and then internally use the poll results to justify their feeling of superiority over the general population :popc1:

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Something like 25% is what I've read from various sources.

Chloe

Time to sit back and watch intuitives vote for some outrageously low percentage and then internally use the poll results to justify their feeling of superiority over the general population :popc1:

well i dont think N is superior, for sure. It has many disadvantages... but it's sure harder to find something incommon with an extreme S...

i'm just curious what perception people got about % in their life.... mine is like 20% middle-high Ns, maybe bit more including borderline Ns.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Combating ignorance with less ignorance. This is for the United States, I'm sure the composition is different in other countries.

OK, maybe it's me but we have this internet search engine called Google, but any search engine will do. I type "MBTI Statistics" in the search bar, I scroll through the results, find something from this organization called CAPT (looks a little bit more legitimate than thembtiblog and starlightpagina) and I get some stats!

Maybe avoiding easily answered and likely incorrect conjecture is an S thing, I dunno.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe avoiding easily answered and likely incorrect conjecture is an S thing, I dunno.

Naw, anyone can make a frivolous poll just for kicks. :)

... sigh, I was feeling lonely after reading that... only 25% Thinkers in the female population? Arg.

And ISFJs rule the female bracket, double piratey arg!

Chloe

OK, maybe it's me but we have this internet search engine called Google, but any search engine will do. I type "MBTI Statistics" in the search bar, I scroll through the results, find something from this organization called CAPT (looks a little bit more legitimate than thembtiblog and starlightpagina) and I get some stats!

Yeah, it is you. I was asking for your impression in your life. Not statistics, because it's clear that it's way off if you can find from 50% to 20%. I mean your impression is also wrong/correct, but to have actual % wasn't my real interest.
It's not about legitimate, I was interested in people's impressions, because you can't know is that woman in your coffee shop S or N, but you have some worldview you live with and it's "i think there're xy Ns out there".

Other thing is why I'm interested in this wacko info... :D:shock:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Yeah, it is you. I was asking for your impression in your life. Not statistics, because it's clear that it's way off if you can find from 50% to 20%. I mean your impression is also wrong/correct, but to have actual % wasn't my real interest.
It's not about legitimate, I was interested in people's impressions, because you can't know is that woman in your coffee shop S or N, but you have some worldview you live with and it's "i think there're xy Ns out there".

Other thing is why I'm interested in this wacko info... :D:shock:

I don't feel isolated or like "I'm the only one" which from browsing this forum makes me quite thankful.

Most people, to me, seem to slide between the S/N border but that's also because I'm on the S/N border myself. Personally I feel many people on this forum put way too much emphasis on this particular dichotomy when there are much more salient characteristics that have more impact on their lives than MBTI, things like their sex, race, sexual identity, culture, etc. In fact, I see much of the things people call "sensor" and "intuitive" as being direct results of culture. Here's a longer post I wrote about it before.

The things people often use as examples differentiating sensing and intuiting seems to me to come down to education, experience, and exposure.

What I notice on the forum is if anyone can talk about politics, science, current events, and their feelings, with any intelligence they're an N. I'm from DC so any Joe or Jane Blow on the streets of downtown DC can talk politics and current events and I can go to the theater or a make-up counter to hear people talking about their feelings.

These are my opinions of why people think intuitives are so rare:

Location: People from smaller population centers tend to be more like-minded than those from larger metropolitan areas. That like-mindedness is often thought of as being "sensing" which it isn't necessarily. Your immediate culture impacts how you conceive of things, which brings me to the second reason:

Culture: I'm a racial minority and I find it hard to scrape off the thick patina of Fe, Si, and Se from most of the black people I try to type. I know two black INTJs that are more Fe than me! And frankly the way my Fe manifests itself feels different than the way the other Fe-dominants on the forum manifests itself so I've basically given up trying to find people who I typologically identify with on the forum.

Exposure: You can be the strongest ISxJ ever and if you've been exposed to many different types of people, foods, ideas, languages, whatever I completely think you'll be more open to experience than an ENxP who's been in one place their whole life. In fact, the larger vat of knowledge Si has to pull from it begins to look like an encyclopedia of knowing virtually anything.

Education: This ties to exposure as well, but you can be taught things like critical thinking skills, argumentation, metaphor use. A lot of what people consider being intuitive comes down to being culturally literate, i.e. "Did you get my [obscure] reference?" Yes: N. No: S. Being culturally literate is dependent upon how much you're plugged into the dominant culture. If you're not, a lot of metaphor use will go over your head. Or you'll use metaphor that is within your domain of knowledge but doesn't necessarily map to the dominant culture.

And these gawd-awful typing threads!!!:steam: Think about this: if you have an incredibly popular movie or fictional character that everyone seems to relate to and enjoy they're probably a sensor or close enough to the S/N line for people to see a bit of everyman in that character. Ye average sensor, will not identify with a hardcore N and vice versa. When I researched correlations between MBTI and the Big Five I found studies that most people hover around the middle of the Openness factor, which roughly relates to what MBTI considers "sensing" and "intuiting." The Openness factor as has subfactors:

1. Fantasy - the tendency toward a vivid imagination and fantasy life.
  2. Aesthetics - the tendency to appreciate art, music, and poetry.
  3. Feelings - being receptive to inner emotional states and valuing emotional experience.
  4. Actions - the inclination to try new activities, visit new places, and try new foods.
  5. Ideas - the tendency to be intellectually curious and open to new ideas.
  6. Values - the readiness to re-examine traditional social, religious, and political values.

If I had to guess, I think the ONLY factors that indicate a preference for intuiting are Ideas and Values. Fantasy, Aethetics, Feelings, and Actions, are anyone's game. And guess what? You can score highly on those subtraits and still get a high Openness score without having high Ideas and Values scores. Conversely, you can score high on the Ideas and Values subtraits and still have a low Openness score. I personally think a truly open person would score highly on all subtraits not just a few, or rather the most important ones. ;)

Based on my experience I think the population of S/N is around 60/40 rather than 75/25 or that impossible 90/10.

Jaguar

What's a starlight vagina? Oh, pagina. :D

Edit: I just read that huge post of yours, dating back to February.
I see you do your homework well; the majority of people in this forum do not.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice bell curve, it's almost perfect. This thread has as much purpose as the other hundred thousand that have been created. It's at least mildly interesting to see how the people have voted :D

Jaguar

I usually count as Ns only people who are very N...

I usually count as blacks only people who are very black.

Edit: In addition to my posting a comment as ridiculous as yours,
I'm going to add that I think perhaps only a fraction of those in this forum claiming to be N,
are actually what I would even consider to be the definition of intuitive.