• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

iNtuitors thinking they are Sensors

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah, I was actually trying to prove to a friend that I am borderline ESFP by digging it up. Heh! I just couldn't stop laughing when I actually found I tested high NP and low EF. I guess I fail at trying to be an S.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yeah, I was actually trying to prove to a friend that I am borderline ESFP by digging it up. Heh! I just couldn't stop laughing when I actually found I tested high NP and low EF. I guess I fail at trying to be an S.

When you "actually found". You mean you couldnt remember the detail of the test, just the general concepts?

How shocking ;)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Oh I was digging up the results of the test I took in college. I had convinced myself I had tested ESFP. I meant I found the results paper in the attic.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I dont know what motivated it and I am inclined to say that I have no genuine intrest in every random person I meet, but as I said its more like a stereotyped sort of thinking that asseses different positions on the bridge of a starship to people.
Yes to mental disease. ;) Actually, if you go look at the big book of psychological disorders DSM-IV, you'll find that pretty much everybody will carry traits of this or that used to classify as "disease"... but seriously, I myself is also such an extreme N that I just cannot see how the S description can fit in anyway. Mind you I do use sensing functions, they're just non-dominant?

Thats basically my idea about Intuition aswell. Snake is prolly a bad metaphor, take worms if you like and then imagine 100 worms moving on a pile all around each other, stacking up and forming a shape, a silhouette of a human being. That means the silhouette is formed by the movements, directions and different colors of the worms, ultimately saying that the shape is derived from the worms itself.
This is the first time I've heard people describe shapes and patterns of relating information as colored snakes and worms. But thank you for spending the time to describe your take on the difference between N and S approach.

What told me that I am thinking different is my life. You can randomly pick any moment out of my life and you will find a lovely person, who is accepted by the community but never really in it. I never knew the latest news, I never up to date and I am always in it, but always out it aswell. Everyone knows that I am a huge freak but they accept me cause I am ressourceful, relieable and a hell lot of a fun to have in a group.
Never really in it... Is the difficulty in relating/fitting into the group what drives people to seek out ways of identifying and attempts to explain such differences? That is they look into possible explanations and happen to stumble onto MBTI and stop there because it gives "proof" of such differences and make people feel happier because they're not "freaks" or have mental disorders?

The N descriptions are more flattering. Simple.
Or perhaps what best describes us are the most flattering...

It might be a problem where people cherry pick moments, instead of looking at themselves and the way they usually think in an objective manner as someone said earlier in the thread. Not really being truthful to your mental happenings.

Also, in regards to using sensing all the time, have you never followed a thought in your head, without paying attention to things around you? You're not consciously taking information from the world around you, and you walk into a ditch.
Agreed to the cherry picking to justify "type". I've never walked into a ditch before, but I've been nearly run over by cars (in small streets that should definitely be avoidable) several times. :doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This is the first time I've heard people describe shapes and patterns of relating information as colored snakes and worms. But thank you for spending the time to describe your take on the difference between N and S approach.

Well first of all I am not people, nor will I ever be.
Second did you like it or did you just wanted to say: at least you tried ent.
Cause if you wanted you immensly hurted my feelings :).

Never really in it... Is the difficulty in relating/fitting into the group what drives people to seek out ways of identifying and attempts to explain such differences? That is they look into possible explanations and happen to stumble onto MBTI and stop there because it gives "proof" of such differences and make people feel happier because they're not "freaks" or have mental disorders?

In Germany you get instead of grades in class 1-3 in school an evaluation form describing your behaviour. In mine there was always written "Oliver connects easily with people and has a vivid imagination". "Vivid imagination" was a nice description for "he cant shut his mouth and talks like a waterfall, deriving new meanings where there is nothing to be derived, jumping to conclusions connecting things that are not even existing in the real world".

And thats basically the thing I meant. What I'ld call intuition. What I'ld call different about me. Nowadays I know there are a lot people, who are like me, especially the American culture seems to be more prone to speaking metaphorically or to talk iconoclastic. The German culture is not.

I never had a hard time with being accepted in a group or to find people I can have fun with, but I never managed to identify with them and that's basically all there is to say.

For example a lot of people around here, where I live, tend to say in chatrooms or in reallife "I am bored". Well I am never bored, if I am alone for example. I am bored in church or in the supermarket, but even there I find something to entertain myself with. But I am never bored with myself. It's like a constant neverending adventure going on in your head, resetting from time to time cause your brain is so overloaded with information that it forgets things.

What you are trying here is to form a general assessment to what drives people to think they are Intuitives. I gave you my description and I like you to honour it but not to use it for a therapeuthical concept to analyse why people do what they do. Cause I am as I said not people, I am quite an individual, who is a singularity.

I am not implieing that I am better than anyone or that I am the only individual out there, I am just saying I havent typed myself to be a N cause I wanted to find an answer for an individual existence. I have typed myself N cause I deeply and profoundly understand what Myers and Briggs meant with someone being a N, cause I live their dream.

----

There is a story from my life, which may be intresting. I told it before in the forum just in a different context. My first great love, an ISFJ felt in love with my vivid imagination. I brought a new form of fun into her life with my iconoclastic nature. I was best friend with an ENFP that time and that friendship accelerated Ne-insanity to a powerful wrestling tag team, which quick-witted humor was matched by noone.

She fell in love with that happy, playful and optimistic interpretation to life I got and I fell in love with her sensitive, touching and artistical soul ( she was a brilliant painter ). I should be wrong tho, badly...

This different thinking, intuitive nature, my best friend and I got, the ISFJ was attracted to, attracted others. Soon we built a new circle of friends and many people from her (the ISFJ) school came to it. An INTP, an INTJ two INFPs and more casual people, who were not so deeply connected. The INTJ and me were best friends, we even founded a company later, the INTP tho was a different story.

The guy got a troubled life, had to grow up without a dad and he was an ultimately sarcastic and I mean very sarcastic guy. He got a lot of issues and you know ISFJs, they like people with issues. The other thing was, what I tried to understand via Socionics nowadays, ISFJs and INTPs seem to be the same quadra. Back then when the INTP and the ISFJ came together that was when I started to see that my girl wasnt the sensitive person I thought she to be.

No, by a far shot not, she was even more brutal, sarcastic and insensitive than the INTP guy. I mean, I am hypersensitive I admit yes, but I know it and I try to not be it the best possible way. I can take a lot of insensitivities, insults and dumb things until I break but if you have to deal 24/7 with two people forming a sarcastic duo, backbiting the whole day about other peoples lifes, one day too much is too much.

I firstly just became hypersensitive and they dont liked my company no more. My ISFJ didnt try to find out whats wrong with me, nor did she understand it, cause she hadnt got the imagination to think like another person, she just listened. She was good at listening but she never understood.

I didnt overdo it tho, meaning I didnt become all highwire and guilt-tripping everyone but our relationship changed and the ISFJ felt it too. The love was gone.

It all ended with the INTP guilt-tripping my ISFJ about how hard his childhood was and her giving him a kiss to make him feel better and with me jumping over a fence beating the INTP up and breaking his nose and then going to prison to sober up.

----

Nowadays with my INFJ things are different. She is even more hyper-sensitive to things than I am. She sees connections everywhere and is pissed by the slightest bit of things. I love that, but I admit it takes a master to handle her and I am not there yet.

But with her, it is like that: she does know that I am feeling bad, before I even feel that I am feeling bad. She is like a mystic on that one. And I so adore her respect and care for my person, cause I give a person I love nothing less in return. I'ld quit my job, crash my car, quit drinking and smoking, I'ld to anything for her. And she gives it back exactly the same way. She exactly sees the same connections, like I do in daily life. We do communicate without words.

It is truly scary.

I dont know if this suffices to qualify for N-Ness, but that is my understanding of it.

I want to ask you tho, to not use my personal stories for therapeuthical purposes or to try to form a general concept explaining how people come to typing themselves a N with them.

Believe me I am not one of those people, seeking shelter under an MBTI tested so called N-function... I am truly insane

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I prefer to pay attention to people who know what they're talking about.
That's why I don't read your posts very often. :D

There's Se and Si
Te and Ti.

Make a decision.
but how can you tell i don't know what i'm talking about without paying attention.

it would behoove you to learn that the simple fact that i employ different diction for a concept than traditional literature has no correlation with my knowledge of the subject.

you really ought to give that post a closer look. try reading between the lines.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're not consciously taking information from the world around you, and you walk into a ditch.

I'm typing this from a ditch. How did you know? :shock:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
probably not too many of the people here, seeing as this thread is called 'iNtuitors thinking they are Sensors' and most of the people here identify themselves as intuitives... sensotard mistake? :alttongue:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
probably not too many of the people here, seeing as this thread is called 'iNtuitors thinking they are Sensors' and most of the people here identify themselves as intuitives... sensotard mistake? :alttongue:

I truly adore your lion.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I got an idea there.

Do you think that a thing like intuition may be involved too in learning to speak a foreign language you never quite really learned, but only from listening to it in computer games or science fiction movies ? This includes especially to understand metaphors or hidden jokes

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If in doubt, they are S, people type others and themselves too freely as Ns.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got an idea there.

Do you think that a thing like intuition may be involved too in learning to speak a foreign language you never quite really learned, but only from listening to it in computer games or science fiction movies ? This includes especially to understand metaphors or hidden jokes

Are you saying that Intuition is like Esperanto? :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
If in doubt, they are S, people type others and themselves too freely as Ns.

and to think, people trying to learn more about mbti and their type are actually more likely to mistype themselves after spending time on the forum because of all the silly connotations... how ironic. :D

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've considered that I've typed all the Ts wrong, all the Fs wrong, all the Es as Is, the Js as Qs, I've looked at it from the other side... and then considered Occam's Razor (shit, I think that's what it was called) - If there is not enough evidence available to be certain of your answer, then the simplest answer is the best. Clears up all of my insane paranoia, the ESTP guy down the road, is still a classic ESTP, not an INFP with strange love of thrills, bizarrely T like ethics and a mastery of grounding themselves. There's no use in suspecting that someone is deceiving you without evidence, it's a waste of your mental prowess.

- King of Despair Doubt

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I doubt every part of my type, except the F, that one is impossible to doubt (apparently I'm known for being 'sensitive'). I have read the entire Please Understand Me II and spent nearly a year on this forum and sometimes I think that surely I must be an S because I like the idea of being an N far too much. Or, I must be an E because IxFPs are described as good people and surely I'm to a good person and I love to laugh loudly and talk often. Or I can't be a P because I like to give my opinion. But then, that's all based off behavior, which I've learned can be a pretty ill indicator of actual type. I'm also ADD, which just completely messes up the behavior typing. >,<