• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
[YOUTUBE="4cLHxIaUWO0"]Let's Go To Prison[/YOUTUBE]

While not the best quality, It's my favorite example of INTJ humor with a healthy bit of Se.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
i guess i make use of a lot of random associations whether they be scientific, literary, film/tv or general pop culture. sometimes it goes over people's heads if they don't understand or know the reference.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
My humor generally revolves around comedic timing, shock, and or dry/sardonic jokes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni-types do not have humor.

This must be a joke.....some of the funniest people are INxJs. It's usually subtle and witty, but it's sometimes very clear & biting. In any case, hilarious!

Being Ne-aux, I can be playful and silly in random way, and Fi-dom makes me a bit sardonic and wry in a subtle way. I like to say ridiculous things and exaggerate with a wink, but people don't always get it, and then I just seem like someone who says ridiculous things :doh:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to imagine something completely random and have it interact with something else. For example, while watching a concert, I thought it would be interesting to attach a rope to all of the band members and have them flying around while going nuts playing guitar. I mess with obtuse ideas and possibilities and make something normal into something insane. That seems to be the sense of humor I work best with, but generally I try to include a bit of wit and pun if it comes to me quick enough.

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
I tend to imagine something completely random and have it interact with something else. For example, while watching a concert, I thought it would be interesting to attach a rope to all of the band members and have them flying around while going nuts playing guitar. I mess with obtuse ideas and possibilities and make something normal into something insane. That seems to be the sense of humor I work best with, but generally I try to include a bit of wit and pun if it comes to me quick enough.

This. Except, sometimes I like to throw in a little sarcasm. However, I'm not good with puns, at all.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne humor is random, wacky, and silly, which makes sense when you think about what Ne does. Ni humor is harder for me to tack down. The main thing that comes to mind is verbal irony, which creates an interplay between the literal and intended meaning of your words. In order to understand and use that kind of humor, you have to be aware that words have multiple interpretations and that they aren't to be taken at face value. Ni is what allows you to do that.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne humor is random, wacky, and silly, which makes sense when you think about what Ne does. Ni humor is harder for me to tack down. The main thing that comes to mind is verbal irony, which creates an interplay between the literal and intended meaning of your words. In order to understand and use that kind of humor, you have to be aware that words have multiple interpretations and that they aren't to be taken at face value. Ni is what allows you to do that.

That sounds quite right, The last joke I remember hearing from an INFJ I know was something like: okay, so a man walks into a bar... *bursts out laughing*
me: :huh:
her: *explains*
me: discusses technicalities of what a bar is, then makes joke about ogres using bars or poles

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This morning I was on the subway doing my people watching thing when I looked at this dude who was completely thugged out down to the mean mug. I noticed he had on pink Hello Kitty socks.

I was amused.:sombrero:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
joke.jpg

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That sounds quite right, The last joke I remember hearing from an INFJ I know was something like: okay, so a man walks into a bar... *bursts out laughing*
me: :huh:
her: *explains*
me: discusses technicalities of what a bar is, then makes joke about ogres using bars or poles

Three men walked into a bar. The fourth one ducked.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have a habit of ranting hilariously.
Its mainly disecting things like movies that weve(my freinds) have watched ect.
I also really like messing with people, like going into the middle of a crowd in the mall and then suddenly freaking out "OH MY GOD SOMEON PLEASE HELP ME!!! MY HANDS!!! MY HANDS WONT COME OFF MY WRISTS!!!!!!"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a dark sense of humor, I'm pretty into black comedies. I like hyperbole, exaggeration, and feigned hysterics. I like when people do different things with their voices for effect, or make animals "talk".

I can also just be silly and ridiculous. I love John Cleese's stuff from back in the day. I think random, weird stuff is funny. My sense of humor can be mean and twisted, but not totally cruel. There is a point that I think is TOO black.

So what has this got to do with Ne or Ni? Will someone explain that one to me?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whenever I go out to eat and the waiter asks if anyone would like dessert, my ENTP friend without fail says, "No thanks. I'm driving." ENTP's seem to have go-to phrases/jokes that work for them. I laugh every time.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Maybe it's because those types that have Ni as their main preference don't utilize change of expression or tone of voice to let others know it's "joking"...that's what I've noticed.

It's kind of true I guess... I have a tendency to make one of two types of jokes. 1) Jokes as dry sarcastic comments 2) Absolutely silly ridiculous word plays. I have no problems with it being called Ni and Ne humor, but I don't think they're necessarily limited to a particular type.

Whenever I go out to eat and the waiter asks if anyone would like dessert, my ENTP friend without fail says, "No thanks. I'm driving." ENTP's seem to have go-to phrases/jokes that work for them. I laugh every time.
I do that too... coined phrases that becomes more or less inside jokes. Like "You're my favouritest uncle sarcie"
"I'm your only uncle sarc"
"Exactly! That's why you're my favourite! You get my joke!"

S

Sniffles

Yes people are always complaining about they never can tell if I'm joking or not, since there's so much subtlety to my humour.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ah, the thin line between subtilitysubtlety and poor people skills

ygolo

My termites win
There is a theory (Berens's) that the 7th function in the "lasagna model" is what is responsible for the comedic view...but the same function can be "deceiving."

For instance for me, that would be Se, and I really like physical humor over most other things. But I'm also the type that will wear my shirt inside out or backward at times. Keeping a sense of humor about these things allows me to not be too hard on myself.

For an ISTP, it would be Ne, and they would find protracted inferences comedic or deceptive depending on their mood.

So I am going to push this theory to the limit. Let's see what sticks.

Complete list:

ESFJ/ESTJ -Ni- finds weird/unlikely visions of the future either funny or deceptive
ISFJ/INFJ -Te- finds strange/improper organization either funny or deceptive
ISTJ/INTJ -Fe- finds outdated/ineffective social norms either funny or deceptive
ISTP/ISFP -Ne- finds protracted/ridiculous inferences either comedic or deceptive
ENFJ/ENTJ -Si- finds lapses in/incorrect recall either funny or deceptive
ENFP/ESFP -Ti- finds weird/incorrect analysis either funny or deceptive
ENTP/ESTP -Fi- finds sociopathic/lack of values either funny or deceptive
INFP/INTP -Se- finds miscues/obliviousness of senses either funny or deceptive

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are some good examples? Would you say Ni is more banter-y and Ne is pun-filled and word play?

They're both very banter-y.

Ne humor is based on connecting unlikely ideas/people/things in the outer world into funny combinations/wording things in ways that, through subtext, could be interpreted in numerous different ways. Ne humor is generally implied rather than blunt, but the pieces are always there for you to put together and the speaker almost always wants the listener to be able to connect the dots and discover the humor--after all, it's based on patterns that exist out there in the external world, and would continue to exist whether or not we were here to observe them.

Example, George Carlin: "I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where's the self-help section?' She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose."

Ni, on the other hand, doesn't always particularly care if anyone else understands the humor, because it's based on rearranging internal definitions of perspective and breaking down the assumptions inherent in the way one looks at things. Ni humor is more subtle and rarely displays the outwardly absurd/over the top nature of Ne humor.

Remember that Ni believes everything is totally a function of perception, so if something's funny to me it might not necessarily be funny to you, and so Ni will sometimes make quiet deadpan jokes that are extraordinarily funny to the speaker, but that there isn't enough even information for a listener to even put it together--but that's not the point, since it's all in the way you look at it anyway.

A lot of Ni humor is based on poking subtle fun at people who place too much stock in their own arbitrary views of reality.

Example, Bill Hicks: "My boss always used to say, 'Hicks, how come you're not working?'

And I'd say, 'Cause there's nothing to do.'

And he'd say, 'Well, you pretend like you're working!'

'Well, why don't you pretend I'm working? Yeah, you get paid more than me, you fantasize! Pretend I'm mopping. Knock yourself out. I'll pretend they're buying stuff; we can close up! I'm the boss; now YOU'RE fired! How's that for imagination?'"

Now clearly, being a standup comedian, Hicks wanted his audience to understand the humor here when he told the joke live--but you can tell that at the time the actual situation he describes was happening, he was sardonically mocking his boss for taking his own view of reality too seriously and he really didn't give a shit if the boss got the joke or not--as long as Hicks himself saw the connection and appreciated it. That's Ni.

P.S.,
Family Guy is 100% Ne. King of The Hill is more Ni...if that helps.