• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

G

Glycerine

What are some good examples? Would you say Ni is more banter-y and Ne is pun-filled and word play?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about Se vs Ni?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ni-types do not have humor.

Ha ha, possibly true, at least in some cases.

I have an INFJ friend who doesn't understand why some people think certain things are funny, and I know my sense of humor doesn't come across to her like it should.

G

Glycerine

Ha ha, possibly true, at least in some cases.

I have an INFJ friend who doesn't understand why some people think certain things are funny, and I know my sense of humor doesn't come across to her like it should.

That's what we would like you to think...
It's funny people think I'm being serious when I am making a joke and think I'm funny when I'm being serious.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Ni humor:

Just a couple days ago I made a lame, off-hand joke about how the birthday song is copyright now so we'd have to pay whoever holds the copyright to sing it, and then this other guy, who I didn't even know, began rattling off how it's not copyright infringement because we're not selling a product so we wouldn't owe anyone anything if we sang it.

I just kind of stared at him dumbly for a while. He probably thinks I'm an idiot.

P

Phantonym

It's funny people think I'm being serious when I am making a joke and think I'm funny when I'm being serious.

:D Yup. I have that too. I've even thought about labelling my sentences with "serious" and "joke". Both online and in "real life" (Btw. This is "serious").

G

Glycerine

Ni humor:

Just a couple days ago I made a lame, off-hand joke about how the birthday song is copyright now so we'd have to pay whoever holds the copyright to sing it, and then this other guy, who I didn't even know, began rattling off how it's not copyright infringement because we're not selling a product so we wouldn't owe anyone anything if we sang it.

I just kind of stared at him dumbly for a while. He probably thinks I'm an idiot.

:D Yup. I have that too. I've even thought about labelling my sentences with "serious" and "joke". Both online and in "real life" (Btw. This is "serious").

LMAO, same here. Half the jokes I ever make seem to fly over people's heads. EDIT: Ne types speak up.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe it's because those types that have Ni as their main preference don't utilize change of expression or tone of voice to let others know it's "joking"...that's what I've noticed.

G

garbage

LMAO, same here. Half the jokes I ever make seem to fly over people's heads. EDIT: Ne types speak up.

I post things along the lines of Haphazard's jokes as Facebook statuses and halfway expect people to take me seriously.. and I delight in the possibility that they will.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Um, no, this individual has openly talked about it and pondered why this is so. I mean, she does have a sense of humor, but is primarily very srs about certain things.

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ

So true! "What if such and such. Hahahahaha."
"Wow! Did that really happen?" :huh:
Possibly they don't hear the what if... when I make a joke it tends to come out a bit garbled

Ed: My humour is mostly based on incongruity and word play.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I opened this thread hoping to hear about iN Ne humor desciptions but all I'm gettng is you guys talking about how no one thinks you're funny.

That to me is funny. Realising how unfunny it is, is funny to me. I don't know what that comes under. Probably the "not funny category." I know it can seem mean to some people. But most of what I find humorous is observational, situational and imaginative. N stuff.

sade

Maybe it's because those types that have Ni as their main preference don't utilize change of expression or tone of voice to let others know it's "joking"...that's what I've noticed.

I've noticed that too. Depends on the person though.
I don't change the expression on my face when relaxed, but I do try when around people as part of the social mask.

I'd say the Ne users like to joke around semantics more. Random connections to same word, or so. Word play probably.
I'm better at banter, and exaggerating stuff kinda like Hap's first post.

Trefle

MBTI Type
INFJ
yes, me too. I noticed that my kind of humor is somewhat sarcastic (I'm the one who giggles or laughs at most snark inside a movie) and uses hyperbole, exaggeration and such. And people took me seriously, like, "What took you so long?" "...I'm twenty months pregnant and you know it." "What, don't be silly." "....okay."

I guess slapstick humor and dirty, adult joke aren't my thing.

G

Glycerine

Um, no, this individual has openly talked about it and pondered why this is so. I mean, she does have a sense of humor, but is primarily very srs about certain things.
LOL, I was truly honestly joking about the "that's what we would like you to think..." part. Got you good. :devil:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne style humor is like this, but those Ni people be making jokes like this.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

Ne style humor is like this, but those Ni people be making jokes like this.

Is there something you're supposed to do when speaking to differentiate between a serious statement and a facetious one? ...hmm...nope nothing comes to mind :D