• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne Humor

G

Ginkgo

This also describes my humor perfectly. I actually think Ne humor comes from subverting expectations. I laugh when a joke throws me off. The funniest jokes are often the ones that sound like they mean something but really don't at all. Self-referential humor. Humor that draws attention to its style of humor. It's pretty postmodern.

I can't make any comments about Ni humor. The one INTJ I knew loved drawing satire out to the point of ridiculousness.

If feel that The Simpsons has basically been reduced to this sort of humor.

G

Ginkgo

The show lost me years ago due to, among other things, this kind of humor.

You and the rest of its old fan base, which is funny considering I think they moved in that direction to retain the fans who would be familiar.

Kurt.Is.God

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4W5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't actually like the Simpsons much, from what I've seen of it. I was more referring to something like 12 Oz. Mouse, or Napoleon Dynamite, or Pokey the Penguin.

Edit: also this.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ha ha, possibly true, at least in some cases.

I have an INFJ friend who doesn't understand why some people think certain things are funny, and I know my sense of humor doesn't come across to her like it should.

I know my dad doesn't even think I have one sometimes.

BUT I PROVED HIM!!!

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
the only aforementioned show I enjoy is Curb Your Enthusiasm. last season wasnt its worse (I laughed a lot) but I think its time Larry hangs it up. its always best to go out on top.

ps
fraiser does suck, simpsons is slacking, family guy isn all that funny and ive never laughed at king of the hill.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I opened this thread hoping to hear about iN Ne humor desciptions but all I'm gettng is you guys talking about how no one thinks you're funny.

That to me is funny. Realising how unfunny it is, is funny to me. I don't know what that comes under. Probably the "not funny category." I know it can seem mean to some people. But most of what I find humorous is observational, situational and imaginative. N stuff.

Same here! I laugh out of the blue all the time just because I relate two things together and it's funny.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
No wonder I don't like family guy. (I think it sucks) I would say the simpsons is mostly Ni too.

I actually don't like family guy too, though I think MacFarlane is a funny guy.

What I really love is offensive humor, e.g. Sasha Baron Cohen, Bill Maher. It doesn't even have to be my own opinion on things, if the background of the comment is reasonable.
To see people who are stuck in their own sets of belief getting pissed off is more satisfying than anything to me. Guess that can be called "Socratic humor".

The priest here is a really cool guy, he takes it calmly. However, I think people pull out the "offended-joker" way too often these days.

Honest Trailers by Screen Junkies are a favorite of mine. They're pointing out flaws and make fun of stupid mass-entertainment-blockbusters like Transformers or The Hobbit.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I think this is Ni:

"In the year 2054, the entire defence budget will purchase just one aircraft. This aircraft will have to be shared by the Air Force and Navy 3½ days each per week except for leap year, when it will be made available to the Marines for the extra day." - Norm Augustine

This could very well be Ni humor, or more likely INTJ humor. It's sarcastic and funny because the absurdity is reinforced by the detailed elaboration of it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So basically what is the conclusion from this 19 page zombie?

From what I see humour appears to be subjective with a large amount of agreement based on coincidental similarities in taste..... Just like everything value based!

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
So basically what is the conclusion from this 19 page zombie?

From what I see humour appears to be subjective with a large amount of agreement based on coincidental similarities in taste..... Just like everything value based!

I doubt that anyone will find a strong correlation between humour and MBTI type. The only biological trait that I feel might is sex - the rushes of testosterone you get as a man can definitely influence what you think and joke about, and how likely you are to make jokes. Women seem less liable to use humour than men.

The kind of media and books I was exposed to as a child - BBC comedies, limericks and satirical poetry (Chaucer, Shakespeare) - have definitely shaped my sense of humour. Naturally, the environment I grew up in has too: my dad is quite outspoken and rather shameless, walking around naked and talking about crude sexual things to get a reaction out of my mum. I haven't had the easiest start to life with other boys, either. That tore apart my native idealism and has made me more cynical than I might otherwise be.

I think that my humour falls under two categories. Subtle, mocking humour that makes light of failings and ironies, and brash, outrageous humour designed to shock people. I can use hyperbole. Part of my aim in using humour is to force people to examine their own prejudices and moral imperfection - especially if they are earnest, feel-good types who can't take a joke. Feminists, SJWs and the like are easy pickings.

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Most of my humor is deadpan, like Kullervo's. Sarcasm is my friend. And when people don't get it, it's easy to just carry on like normal. If they think it's offensive or something though, then I am obligated to inform them that I, in fact, was joking. "Well it wasn't funny." "Maybe not to you."

On occasion I make more crude/off-color or sexual jokes. I don't talk like that often so it's good when I want to shock people. Things about black heels and black flats, and I suddenly say, "Well I'm white and I'm pretty flat." (Referring to my chest.) The look on the other person's face was priceless.

There was also the time that one of our drum majors was leading a sectional and we were talking about hearing loss in one ear and playing piccolo (both the drum major and I played piccolo at the time). So she asked me about hearing loss and I went, "Huh?" And she repeated her question. It took two or three iterations before she got it. And then I answered her seriously.

Telling actual jokes with set-up and punchline and stuff, I tend to either miss important details or start laughing way too hard in anticipation of the punchline. Back in freshman year, I had a bad habit of finishing the joke and immediately launching into explaining it. I've since remedied that but I sometimes go too far in the other direction where people either don't realize that the punchline is the punchline or they don't get it at all and I have to drop hints until they finally go "oh" or I've fully explained it. That might be the nature of the joke or it might be my delivery.

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni humour imo comes off as very obnoxious because it's trying to get you to see their 'vision' or 'point' i guess and you feel stupid if you don't get it. Jimmy Carr (a supposed NTJ of some kind?) is a good example of that. Ne humour is more all over the place and trying to see a lot of different scenarios i'm guessing. (George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Robin Williams)

chado

MBTI Type
infp
ni humor is very symbolic my dad is entj and alot of his friends are entjs so i constantly hear there humor,its very symbolic and funny,like this girl asked my uncle for a 5$ and my uncle said ,dear i dont even have a 5$ to borrow you

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni humour, does it exist? :huh: if we are talking about the lack of Ni because Se is showing then it would be clowning around in an annoying way.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Ni humor:

Just a couple days ago I made a lame, off-hand joke about how the birthday song is copyright now so we'd have to pay whoever holds the copyright to sing it, and then this other guy, who I didn't even know, began rattling off how it's not copyright infringement because we're not selling a product so we wouldn't owe anyone anything if we sang it.

I just kind of stared at him dumbly for a while. He probably thinks I'm an idiot.
Omg i also joke like this. XD

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I knew a Ni-dom that was involved in a complex scheme of funny business creating some type of fake Wikipedia thingy. I'm curious about different sorts of Ni humor, and I think sometimes it can be a very private, internally hilarious humor that may or may not translate to the outside world. Perhaps it also involves distilling the complex nonsense of reality into a one-liner.

Actually Marilyn Manson is a confirmed Ni-dom, and he has certain twists of humor based on ironies about life distilled down to a single concept. There is an intensity about it, though that is different from the lighter humor style of Ne. His song "I Don't Like the Drugs, but the Drugs Like Me" I *think* is a way of referring to the saying that religion is the opiate of the masses, combined with the idea of intrusive evangelism. I think he's calling religion a drug that actively seeks you out to convert you into using (I'm not personally insulting people who value religion, but this is what came to my mind at the moment). That would be an example of distilling humor to a core concept and using irony of perfect opposite to create a surprise connection.

Ne humor is easier to read and there are a lot of comedians to use as examples because it is so good at re-contextualizing and forming plausible connections between random ideas. I once heard a Ne-aux say that humor is basically connecting ideas that are far apart in semantic space. He was a Ti-dom.