• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you find your type?

How did you find your type?

• Total voters

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
What I mean is how did you first figure out your type (out of the 16 types)? Was it by: looking at each of the 4 categories, was it looking at cognitive functions, was it reading online descriptions of the types to see which one fit best, was it Socionics, doing online tests, people from here typed you, etc.

Poll is up, please vote. I'm interested to see the results.

VagrantFarce

I did it by looking at the functions and how they interplay with each other in the different combinations, and simply trying to match my own neuroses and behaviour to them as closely as possible (the Lenore Thompson wiki was a big help in this regard). I'm still not 100% sure, but nothing ever is and it's as close a match as I'm going to get within the confines of this particular system. :)

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Initially it was from taking a number of online tests, which were quite uniform in their results, and with time my initial results were solidified by understanding of functions and recognition of their presence in my day to day life.

Overall I find the stereotypical descriptions of the INTP fit me poorly. But they also fit much better than any other type description.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
First I took some online tests which narrowed the choices to 2 (INTP/ISTP), and then read both the descriptions and figured that ISTP made more sense than INTP

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My brother, an expert on mbti, typed me. He then gave me a book all about reading mbti types on people. It turned out, he typed me correctly (I read the book of course).
Also took online tests afterwards and they also gave me the same type.

P

Phantonym

At first I took both MBTI and Socionics tests online. Then I went through the dichotomies and determined with which I can identify the most. Type descriptions have never fit me that well and I always take them with a grain of salt. I didn't even touch the functions part at first.
To be honest, cognitive functions still give me the creeps and I still question my type frequently.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
About 20 years ago, I bought "Do What You Are" by Barron and Tieger and studied it for 3 months before I felt comfortable that I knew what my type was. Then every so often, I would question it again, just to be sure. But I've second guessed myself enough now.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I took an online test and got INFP. I was using the stumbleupon addon for firefox, that's how I found it.

G

garbage

All of the above over the course of about a billion years

My dad officially tested ENTJ (he's really ENTP, but pretty much everybody tests ENTJ in an office environment) and the two of us are pretty similar; he told me that I seemed ENTJ, too, and I saw how it fit. Then I started researching the system a few years later and just confused myself with an overload of what types I could be :doh:

Finally concluded ENTP mostly because Eric B said I was, and he's smart about this stuff. Then, Socionics' Reinin dichotomies, type descriptions, and intertype relationships (especially that of duality) all conclusively pointed to ILE. ILE is a better fit than ENTP.. but since the two correlate, I'm going for it.

When I first joined the forum, someone said that they would eat their hat if I were ENTP :nice:

The tests still don't mean anything.. I still test as ENFP and ENTJ under MBTI. After looking into the Enneagram system, I found that it's probably the 3 in me that brings those traits out.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Initially I looked at the four functions to make the determination. And I mistyped myself. Online confirmed my actual type.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A grad student in psychology who was interested in it tested me.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I first thought I was an INTP, and so I joined a forum for that type. Over the course of my stay there it became obvious, however, that there was something different about us; I had an abnormal number of conflicts with them, and I didn't seem to process things in quite the way they did. At some point I took a cognitive processes test, and I saw that I had much stronger Fi than an INTP is supposed to have (it was right up there with Ti). So I changed my type to INXP, which was meant to be a hybrid between the two types. As the differences between myself and INTPs grew more apparent, however, and since Ti is a process I only developed recently in life, I decided to change the X to an F. For awhile I also considered the possibility of INFJ for my type, since I have strong NiTi and people and tests often suggest a J for me. Ultimately, though, I decided on INFP, since I'm an individualist whose values fly against society's and because, unlike most Js, I often lack motivation and decisiveness.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just looked at the poll results and it seems like a lot of people didn't even bother taking the test.
Reminds me of the fact how a lot of people just read through type descriptions, pick the "coolest" one and declare it as their type, resulting in a lot of "type confusion".

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I begged the question on ask.com

I said "Dear World, what is my type?"

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took different tests
and got a few different answers, but usually one of the sfp's.
Then I read the type descriptions of the results that I was getting and picked one.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I just looked at the poll results and it seems like a lot of people didn't even bother taking the test.
Reminds me of the fact how a lot of people just read through type descriptions, pick the "coolest" one and declare it as their type, resulting in a lot of "type confusion".
One thing I've discovered is that there is no one test that will give 100% correct results for everyone - especially online. Even when a professional administers the test, they still expect you to use your own self-knowledge to verify the results.

I share your frustration concerning type confusion. People need to take time to study it. They think it's as easy as taking a little online test, but it's not. The results still need to be confirmed.

heart

heart on fire
I took the long version of the test at college. Came out 90 percent in I, 90 percent in N, but 50-50 in both the T-F and the J-P.

So counselor says this is a "weakness" of mine and I need to pick whichever way I want to be and go with it.

Well I don't think I am a thinker because I am so poor with math and who the heck wouldn't want to be more organized? So I went at first with J.

MUCH Later when I visit these type boards and learn more about cognitive functions.
I realized what the real differences between Fe and Fi were and what Ne is and I took a cognitive functions test then I decided I was INFP and then no more question.

And who the hell was I kidding? I've never been organized.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
work made me do it...i was like 'oh ok' then didnt bother for about 2 yrs. then wierd shit started happening...i got everything the prof said or the book was trying to tell me but i just barely passed. so through sefl-examination i started wondering about myself and learning skills when i remembered the long freakin test i took a few years ago. that was about 8 months ago

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started out with the APS (see signature), and was introduced to the Keirsey Sorter II online by a friend. Both my wife and I tested as ENFJ, which sounded somewhat like her, but was way off for me. I saw that the KTS used the four MBTI dichotomies, which I had seen years before, but had never looked into. So now, I was determined to see how MBTI corresponded with APS, and from there figure a type.
I of course looked at descriptions of all the types, but none seemed like perfect fits, and several had traits I could identify with. I realized the dangers of a Forer effect (which I had never even heard of yet, but I knew that any person might be able to identify with descriptions of any type). Just going by dichotomy descriptions, it did seem like a good bet I was N and P, and figured I had to correspond the two systems, if possible, to find the best type.

Already, you had I/E, which sounded like a match for FIRO/APS' "expressed Inclusion" (eI). I had low eI, so figured I must be an Introvert, though Supine is said to have extroverted qualities, so I kept that in mind as well. Both T/F and J/P seemed like good matches for the other dimension known as "responsive" (wanted) behavior. Then, I had to figure how S/N corresponded.

I soon learn about the Interaction Styles, which I determined matched Inclusion, and that the Keirsey temperaments matched the other area of Control. That suggested (INP=Supine) + (NT=Choleric) = INTP, which turned out to fit well, especially from Paul James' description.
From there, as I learned more about the cognitive dynamics (which as we see can often be ambiguous), which raised some questions at times, so it became a matter of ironing out the best interpretation of them. But overall, this all seems to have worked out.