• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How did you find your type?

How did you find your type?

• Total voters

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Initially it was from taking a number of online tests, which were quite uniform in their results, and with time my initial results were solidified by understanding of functions and recognition of their presence in my day to day life.

Overall I find the stereotypical descriptions of the INTP fit me poorly. But they also fit much better than any other type description.

I had a similar process. I took tests, but I got a variety of results: INTP, INFP and INFJ. I tested INTP more than anything, but it just felt "wrong".
After reading up on the functions and more on MBTI, I was able to determine that I was Fi-dom and therefore INFP. Taking cognitive functions tests, I am always INFP, and I think that would have been a better way to start.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I took a test on facebook introducing me to MBTI, then I read more info on my type and agreed with most of what it said, finally I took other online tests and consistently scored the same MBTI type.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
One thing I've discovered is that there is no one test that will give 100% correct results for everyone - especially online. Even when a professional administers the test, they still expect you to use your own self-knowledge to verify the results.

I share your frustration concerning type confusion. People need to take time to study it. They think it's as easy as taking a little online test, but it's not. The results still need to be confirmed.

That's true. If I remember correctly the test only has ~75% accuracy rate.

Still though, I'd say that for most people taking the test will likely yield more accurate results than them picking a type by reading the descriptions.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I found it in a dumpster down a back alley, I had to fight two bums for it.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I found it in a dumpster down a back alley, I had to fight two bums for it.

Let me guess, your type smells vaguely of cheap booze and fecal matter.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Nah ISFP smells like raw awesome.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Initially, several tests, then the rest of the first 4 options, then more tests, etc.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I took a step II test, administered by a certified person. The isfp description was really accurate for me so I was happy with the test.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Still though, I'd say that for most people taking the test will likely yield more accurate results than them picking a type by reading the descriptions.

Well, maybe- if you're not honest with yourself then you're not going to pick the right type. If you know yourself and understand what you're reading well than you will. If someone is just reading the descriptions and choosing the "coolest" type then they are not being honest with themselves, which is mostly their problem. I don't see how this would effect anyone, (or even the person who's chosen the wrong type- unless they are very young and it may delay the process of finding individuality.) I think sometimes its better to read the descriptions since it gives a more practical description of how people act. The tests are so vague and some of the questions are difficult to apply to how you would think or act in different scenarios.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

When you say, "the test", to which test are you referring?
Do you have a link?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My then manager had all of us in her department take one of the online tests – this was four years ago. She was a great manager, very people-oriented, and she wanted to see what type we were and put the description on file for us.

I had never heard of MBTI and was pretty sceptical about personality tests generally. But when I read the description, I was pretty surprised at how accurate it seemed – it even seemed to explain a few things to me about myself that I had never really understood (ie. for a few of my personality traits, I’d always thought I was just a bit of a anomaly/freak!).

I think I glanced briefly at the other type descriptions, or some of them, but didn’t look too in-depth. Over the next 2 years I think I looked up a bit more about INFJ, and maybe a bit about the other types too but not much.

Then, a bit over a year ago, I had a fairly major falling out with a friend and started thinking more about a) interpersonal relationships and b) my emotional/stress reaction to such situations. I started googling INFJ and reading more about the type – then started reading more about other types – then read Please Understand Me II – etc. And here I am, somewhat obsessed/fascinated by MBTI!

By the way, I’ve taken several of the different online tests and have almost always tested INFJ. A few times I have come out ENFJ (when I was feeling more extroverted than usual!), or ISFJ (not totally off the mark) or ESFJ (quite a long way off the mark). I suspect I may have been more INTJ or something like when younger, but I don’t seem to lean that way at all these days.

I know you can’t take the online test results (or indeed any of this!) as gospel, but the clincher for me is that I have read up quite a bit on all types by now, and INFJ fits me far and away the best.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, maybe- if you're not honest with yourself then you're not going to pick the right type. If you know yourself and understand what you're reading well than you will. If someone is just reading the descriptions and choosing the "coolest" type then they are not being honest with themselves, which is mostly their problem. I don't see how this would effect anyone, (or even the person who's chosen the wrong type- unless they are very young and it may delay the process of finding individuality.) I think sometimes its better to read the descriptions since it gives a more practical description of how people act. The tests are so vague and some of the questions are difficult to apply to how you would think or act in different scenarios.

I see what you are saying, that some of the questions are not worded perfectly, and that the people who would pick the wrong type for themselves would likely not answer the questions accurately. Its just from my experience, people tend to get more accurate results from the test than they do from picking (an often vaguely discribed) type.

When you say, "the test", to which test are you referring?
Do you have a link?

Well there is the official MBTI (tm) test, but I've only seen it on paper, not online.

But there is Humanmetrics test on the web which I think is pretty decent.

Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I originally discovered MBTI while looking around for new music on last.fm, a lot of people had little badges with their type and multiple intelligences from mypersonality. I took the test and came out INTP. I then googled a bit, stumbled across INTPc. I didn't want to do the whole welcoming thing, I skipped straight to a thread about derailment. Some posters told me that I'm not an INTP, and that I'm a feeler. I looked at INFP and was completely confused, I thought INTP described me pretty well. I started a type me kind of thread and was told that I might be ENTP because I rambled heaps (or something like that) I looked up heaps about ENTP and it made sense. I skipped back and forth between INTP, INFP and ENTP for a while. But I worked it out eventually. Not sure which to vote for, I just picked typeoc

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually began scoring INFJ and INFP on various on-line tests, and asked members of Type C when I first arrived which they thought I was and the resounding answer was INFP. I also went with INFP because I did some reading on INFJ vs. INFP and I identified with INFP much more.

In fact, as I began learning more about the types, I realized there was no way in hell I could be an INFJ, and wondered if I had even scored that sometimes because I was answering questions based on the way I thought I *should be* instead of who I actually am. (J traits are perceived as more "responsible" and "mature" in our society, amirite? So when I didn't know a great deal about MBTI I think I answered the questions more self-consciously, and therefore not as honestly.)

I went with INFP especially after I took two cognitive function tests and got INFP on both. That sealed it for me. For a while.

Until I hung around here so long that I began to realize that I wasn't as meek as INFP is supposed to be. I'm much more outspoken in real life, though I have introverted qualities. I assumed the amount of time I spent alone made me an introvert, but now that I understand that ENFP is the "introverted extrovert" I'm inclined to believe that's what I actually am.

On all Socionics tests and "the brutally honest personality test" I score ENFp. So I'm a Socionics ENFp and an MBTI INFP? Hmmm....so, yeah anyway I'm gong with eNFP because I think I'm just a weak E.

Complicated, I know.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took one of those Facebook online quizzes and my result was the "ISTP." I was suspicious of it at first, but then I read the strengths and weaknesses. They were all true, but some stood out more than others:
ISTP Strengths

● Good listeners
● Usually self-confident
● Generally optimistic and fun to be with
● Practical and realistic, they handle daily concerns
● Are not threatened by conflict or criticism
● Able to leave a relationship with relative ease once it is over
● Able to administer punishment, although they're not interested in doing so
● Likely to respect other's needs for space and privacy

ISTP Weaknesses

● Living entirely in the present, they have difficulty with long-term commitments
● Not naturally good at expressing feelings and emotions
● Not tuned in to what others are feeling, they may be insensitive at times
● Tendency to be overly private and hold back part of themselves
● Need a lot of personal space, which they don't like to have invaded
● They thrive on action and excitement, and may stir things up to create it

My reaction after reading that: "......oookaayyyyy.... you got me." :mellow:

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
The fact that the administered Step II test isn't even one of the poll options is ironic. Gee, I took an online test that said I lived in the legendary South Pacific sea culture of Lemuria in a past life, should I believe that?

lane777

nevermore
Wow, there's lot's of people going by online tests :shock: No wonder there are so many mistyped members. The majority of these free tests are seriously deficient; foremost, they are unprofessional - that in itself should be reason enough to not take online tests seriously. One of the major complaints is that they are worded in such a way that accommodates either S or N types.

One should look to professional profile descriptions when typing oneself and settle on one which fits best holistically - according to you and those who know you best. Typing oneself based on functions is rather sketchy and should be left to those who are very confident in their understanding of them.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact that the administered Step II test isn't even one of the poll options is ironic. Gee, I took an online test that said I lived in the legendary South Pacific sea culture of Lemuria in a past life, should I believe that?

You couldn't disprove it, but there is certainly no dire need to take that piece of information aboard. It has a low chance of being useful, right?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Someone asked me to take the humanmetrics test and came up as ISFJ, some of it related to me, most didn't. Took the test some time later and came up ESFJ.

Don't like the description for me but looking at the sononics yesterday ESE rings true.