• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"There is nothing to gain from my Inferior Function"

VagrantFarce

ITP: "There is nothing to gain from participating in society, I'd be more knowledgable if I just observe." (inferior Fe)
IFP: "There is nothing to gain from working toward what I want, I don't want to assert myself and potentially tread on anyone's toes." (inferior Te)
INJ: "There is nothing to gain from negotiating with how things are, it is inherently inferior to what I envision." (inferior Se)
ISJ: "There is nothing to gain from negotiating with what is unusual, there's simply no need to rock the boat." (inferior Ne)

ESP: "There is nothing to gain from my imagination, reality packs a far greater punch." (inferior Ni)
ENP: "There is nothing to gain from considering my past actions, I'm too pre-occupied with my inventiveness." (Inferior Si)
ETJ: "There is nothing to gain from knowing how I or other people feel, I know what I want and I'm going to get it." (Inferior Fi)
EFJ: There is nothing to gain from knowing the truth, it would jeopardize my standing in society." (Inferior Ti)

Does any of this feel accurate? :)

[edit]I should add that these are meant to be immature positions to take.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not for me, since I've put extensive work on working on Te, so I no longer have it as a real weakness.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
These are rather good. I think they summarize some common ideas pretty well, regardless of whether or not one gave merit to MBTI.

And, I feel the statements in the OP correspond nicely to the said MBTI types, as well.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to add though that these are very accurate.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Don't know about the other ones, but I couldn't see how the INJ one will fit.

If we think the external world can't be changed... I doubt we'll be typed as a J under your conventional MBTI questionnaire.

VagrantFarce

Don't know about the other ones, but I couldn't see how the INJ one will fit.

If we think the external world can't be changed... I doubt we'll be typed as a J under your conventional MBTI questionnaire.

The idea is that an unhealthy INJ wouldn't take reality into consideration at all, and would refuse to accept any sort of compromise toward their "visions" and their self-proclaimed seer-like status. An unhealthy J tends to take an "all-or-nothing" attitude in their decision-making, whereas a healthy J is willing to negotiate for what they want and is willing to admit defeat when push comes to shove and their vision is unattainable.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
ITP: "There is nothing to gain from participating in society, I'd be more knowledgable if I just observe." (inferior Fe)

So accurate. Sorry to revive and old-ish thread but I definitely act that way. I can relate to the INJ one too, though.

I'm just starting to understand this beyond the four dichotomies, it's so interesting once you really get into it in depth.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
IFP: "There is nothing to gain from working toward what I want, I don't want to assert myself and potentially tread on anyone's toes." (inferior Te)

I recognize the "there is nothing to gain" part. Although I also recognize the "not treading on toes" part, this doesn't seem to be related to Te?

incubustribute

MBTI Type
ISFJ
As an interesting aside, how many people on this forum do you think have attempted (at least somewhat) to get a positive outcome from their inferior function? Do you believe this is possible? If so, is it worth attempting?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I have absolutely zero desire to develop/utilize my inferior Si. I think Si is the biggest bullshit function for me (that's not meant to be offensive to Si users). I wouldn't even know how to develop my Si honestly. I don't remember things, and I don't know how to take my past experiences and apply them to my current ones. I also think that doing this completely gets in the way of my new ideas, and I derive the most enjoyment out of formulating novel concepts and fueling my creativity. If I rely too much on referring to Si when I need to solve a problem, then that leaves no room for formulating my own unique solutions. Si is essentially an Ne jailhouse.

I won't go so far as to admit that there would be absolutely "nothing to gain" from my inferior Si though. It'd be great if I had the kind of capacity for remembering nitty-gritty details that Si users possess. I'd probably make a lot more A's on tests, and I'd probably be able to apply a database of information in a lot of areas of my life, and I can see the theoretical utility in that. However, I think I just use my other functions to get the kind of tasks done for which Si would normally be useful, so I don't see any direct need for it; it's just ancillary. Errr, at least I keep telling myself that...

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
"EFJ: There is nothing to gain from knowing the truth, it would jeopardize my standing in society." (Inferior Ti)"

I totally believe in knowing the truth. Knowing the truth will always make things easier in the end, but I'll admit it is very hard for me to express my true feelings to people sometimes. In that way this quote is true for me.

Now I am working of developing this function as I do believe the truth is ultimatley the best solution to solve problems.

You know Ti being summoned by Fe.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm quite okay with Si, actually.
It's my Te that needs working on!

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
As an interesting aside, how many people on this forum do you think have attempted (at least somewhat) to get a positive outcome from their inferior function? Do you believe this is possible? If so, is it worth attempting?

I've never tried to develop my inferior Si because I'm too immature and proud to admit that it's really worth anything to me yet. I'm getting there though. I definitely see why it *might* be beneficial, but I've yet to really make an attempt at reaping these benefits. I can see somewhere down the road wanting to settle down and do the "traditional" thing...start a family, focus on a career, buy a house, etc. etc., but I've got to get all the Ne-induced desire for fun and new experiences out of the way first. When the Ne stream starts running dry, I'll refill it with a little Si probably :yes:

I'm not implying that Si=boring and Ne=fun, but merely that Ne is my way of fueling my own personal fun, and Si will probably start diluting that fuel as I grow older.

It'd be cool to develop Si for other reasons too. I'd love to pick up on and recall fine details. I definitely see the benefit in that, but I'm not sure if I know how to go about enhancing these skills. They are just so unnatural to me.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

I think it is both possible and worth doing. I have quite good self awareness, or so i believe. I suspect that trait is common to many introverts, as we spend more time looking inwards.

I've been aware of the call of my inferior Se long before I'd heard of MBTI (I always thought of it as my animal side). My intemperate, instinctual side does not shock me, even as I fail to control it. Hell, I've even cultivated it at times so that I can bring it to the fore when needed. I can't say that it's got any more sophisticated, but I've often felt the need to commune with that Animal. He is a useful friend when doing any hard, physical task 'cause he is better at it then the rest of me.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think picking up small details is more Se rather than Si. I don't pick up fine details that well but I remember vividly the general ideas I take from stuff. To me Si is more of remembering your specific interpretation of an event. Si keeps track of what you learn. I think that Si and Ti combined are probably what makes me try to learn from myself as a model. The Si takes my thoughts/experiences/feelings into account.

I think if you view Si in this manner it will seem more realistic that you may develop it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does any of this feel accurate? :)

Let's see... :yes:

[edit]I should add that these are meant to be immature positions to take.

Thanks for that clarification. :newwink:

IFP: "There is nothing to gain from working toward what I want, I
don't want to assert myself and potentially tread on anyone's toes." (inferior Te)

One of my best friends. Spot on! :cheese:

INJ: "There is nothing to gain from negotiating with how things are, it is inherently inferior to what I envision." (inferior Se)

My brother (INTJ) and my wife (INF), yes, totally. :doh:

ESP: "There is nothing to gain from my imagination, reality packs a far greater punch." (inferior Ni)

Denied. Both me (ESTP) and a best friend of mine (ESFP) are both ridiculously imaginative. :bananallama:

ETJ: "There is nothing to gain from knowing how I or other people feel, I know what I want and I'm going to get it." (Inferior Fi)

My awesome Father, Guardian Overlord Extraordinaire! :2ar15:

EFJ: There is nothing to gain from knowing the truth, it would jeopardize my standing in society." (Inferior Ti)

My Father-In-Law! :horor: