• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and background noise

Do you enjoy background music when working/concentrating?

• I, yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • I, no

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • E, yes

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • E, no

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • N, yes

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • N, no

• S, yes

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • S, no

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • T, yes

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • T, no

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • F, yes

• F, no

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • J, yes

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • J, no

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • P, yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • P, no

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Do you like to have music playing in the background when you're working/concentrating, or do you prefer silence?

Does your preference differ between work/study and when do hobbies?

If you like background music, what kinds do you like for different activities?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When I'm truly concentrating. As in writing, reading, etc etc. If I am doing homework sheets or math assignments, then I ALWAYS have music on.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I like either total silence or white noise. Listening to music with lyrics in a foreign language (white noise! lol) at a soft volume is good, or street noise. I like some cafes for that reason, enough activity and sounds to blend into 'white noise'.

Basically, it has to be total silence or the noise has to come together in a way to = silence. Basically, the environment fades into the background and is not a distraction.

I am used to working from home and having the TV on is the worst time waster. Will make a simple 15 minute project drag out to almost an hour. Really hard to concentrate.

BTW, the whole 'multi-tasking' concept is a myth - in that your brain is NOT wired for it. You can juggled things and do several things in a sub par way or you can do 1 in a 'perfect' or very good way.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes I like music or tv in the background, sometimes I like silence. Music or tv I don't like, though, will distract me, and I can't tune it out. It has to be something I chose or don't mind.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It probably hinders my ability to concentrate, but I listen to music most of the time. It is quite easy for me to tune out the music and all the noise though.

So I guess it would be easier to just turn off the music to begin with, but I don't really care. It is always preferred to and used to block out other erratic external noise though. For that, familiar music is preferred, as it won't catch my attention that much.

Now, if I understand OneWithSoul's post correctly, which by my judgment seems to be missing one word, I agree. I'll rather have silence with things that truly require concentration, while with homework and etc., I just don't care.

I voted 'no', to mix up the results a little.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yes, I like listening to music when doing work. Keeps me working for longer periods.

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I listen to music when doing schoolwork or a hobby, but when I am trying to concentrate I prefer almost if not total silence.

I voted yes for I, N, T and P, however, because I usually do - even if it distracts me a little. In some cases, and depending on what I am listening to, it actually keeps me more focused.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I pretty much always have to be listening to music if I'm alone and/or have to concentrate on something.

I variate depending on what kind of music I'm feeling at the time, not depending on the activity, except that I prefer faster, more upbeat music when I'm needing to get alot done at work.

And that I usually listen to more upbeat music unless I'm going to sleep, at which point I'll listen to calmer stuff.

I can't go to sleep without music, either.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Music or white noise if anything I'm doing has an element of tedium to it; work, mindless math homework, reading general parts of books. However, when it comes to things that I use all of my mind for, like reading for pleasure, or to understand new concepts, intense periods of essay writing, I enjoy the sound of silence.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ambient music or a show/movie with a lower volume, whenever I'm studying or working or doing casual things. Then I can't stand silence. But I can't listen to pop, rap, hiphop or rnb when I'm concentrating. However, I like to hear people talk in the background. It soothes me and helps me relax. But if I really have to buckle down, I turn that shit off and it stays off until I have figured whatever I'm doing out.

Right now, I'm listening to Sex and the City, while talking to my mom, thinking about making my bed and concentrating on writing this post.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I pretty much always have to be listening to music if I'm alone and/or have to concentrate on something.

I variate depending on what kind of music I'm feeling at the time, not depending on the activity, except that I prefer faster, more upbeat music when I'm needing to get alot done at work.

And that I usually listen to more upbeat music unless I'm going to sleep, at which point I'll listen to calmer stuff.

I can't go to sleep without music, either.

Same here, but I go with upbeat/more aggressive music in all cases, I rarely actually go for calmer music, right now is one of those rare moments, and I'm not sure what's causing me choose to listen to calmer music :thinking:

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Anything I have control over, without comprehensible voices. Which basically equals silence.

Pure silence is ideal, but it's an ideal never achieved. So better go with plan B than to fight.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Same here, but I go with upbeat/more aggressive music in all cases, I rarely actually go for calmer music, right now is one of those rare moments, and I'm not sure what's causing me choose to listen to calmer music :thinking:

The power of suggestion. ;)

On an added note, I hate conflicting noises when I'm trying to concentrate, and I'm thinking of things like the TV over music or two different songs, etc. Sometimes if I'm not concentrating, though, I might enjoy it or at least enjoy more noise.

I work at WalMart and our store's been going through a remodel process. I enjoyed the sounds of construction work going on and wish they would continue because sometimes it just gets frighteningly silent there overnight. :eek:

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anything I have control over, without comprehensible voices. Which basically equals silence.

Pure silence is ideal, but it's an ideal never achieved. So better go with plan B than to fight.

It's a beautiful thing. The only time I've experienced complete silence, like I've gone deaf, is out on the countryside, at night when everybody else is asleep. Feels like I've entered a black hole or gone under the water.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The power of suggestion. ;)

On an added note, I hate conflicting noises when I'm trying to concentrate, and I'm thinking of things like the TV over music or two different songs, etc. Sometimes if I'm not concentrating, though, I might enjoy it or at least enjoy more noise.

I work at WalMart and our store's been going through a remodel process. I enjoyed the sounds of construction work going on and wish they would continue because sometimes it just gets frighteningly silent there overnight. :eek:

I often leave as on much conflicting noise as possible :D, music versus tv, versus guitar, it's a battle for my attention. I take it that I just like to have everything fast paced, my homework, my reading, my sleeping lol. I think it must be slow down time, time to reassess myself a little bit hmmm... /irrelevant stuff I needed off my brain.

If I find a problem in mathematics or anything problem solving related, I find that I really need complete silence. There's always a point at which the noise is too much... despite it being comforting.