• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The REAL differences between introversion and extroversion

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Ok, I know there are many topics on this, but none of them have cleared up my doubts. I've read a few different interpretations of intro vs. extroversion, from social anxiety to living in your own mind vs. gregariousness and meeting new people, but the distinctions all seem varying. So in terms of MBTI (although I know a lot about I vs. E), I want to know what you guys think is the main differences between introversion and extroversion.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think only the person that come up with the terms could REALLY answer the question but the way I see it, Es are dependent on outside input and Is on inside output.

Was that vague enough? :D

G

Glycerine

This is what sealed ENFJ for me. I can't remember the resource though.

Extroversion and introversion fundamentally involves (1) where someone gets energy and (2) how that person processes information.

****EXTROVERTS****
Extroverts get energy from being around people in unstructured settings. Often, simply being in the same room with other people energizes them. They are drained when being isolated or in an environment with incredibly structured interpersonal relationships. Often extroverts in these situations will find themselves picking at food, making random phone calls, or getting up and walking the halls in an attempt to re-energize themselves.

When it comes to processing information, it’s been said that if extroverts aren’t talking, they aren’t thinking. That isn’t too far from the truth. Extroverts are verbal processors—they talk about their ideas, tweak them as they talk, and then figure out what they’re thinking. This can be confusing for others because it can look like extroverts are forever changing their mind. Often an idea isn’t “real” until an extrovert has been able to brainstorm about it with other people. For them, interacting with people IS a worthy objective and a concrete task.

****INTROVERTS****
Introverts, on the other hand, tend to get energy from being alone or working with people in very structured ways. This does NOT mean they are socially inept. It simply means interacting with people for extended periods of time, especially in unstructured settings, will usually drain them. They’ll often need to go to lunch alone or close their office door to re-energize.

When introverts process information, they do the processing internally. They’ll mull over an idea by themselves, polishing it, making it just right. THEN, they’ll be ready to share it with others. When they finally do verbalize their idea, it’s a finished product.

VagrantFarce

I always thought this was a clear distinction:

introverted tend to think before doing, whereas extroverts do before thinking. This isn't set in stone and the behaviour can change depending on the functions that are active, but it seems fairly clear to me.

[edit] if you're having trouble with your type, don't look at it in terms of the letter dichotomy; that's for newbies. ;) Look at the behaviour of each function and consider which tend to line up with your behaviour.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I believe there was a study somewhere about a link between Cerebral Blood Flow (the blood in your brain) and introversion/extraversion. Essentially, More blood to the part of your brain(namely, the frontal lobes) known for introverted characteristics and you become an introvert. Naturally, this would imply a continuum of introversion/extraversion. It also implies that any given individual has the characteristics of both an introvert and extravert, but some of these characteristics are inherently preferred over others.

-skip long speech about the relation between the frontal lobes and "executive functions" (not in the MBTI sense of the word) that don't require as much external stimulus-

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Pitseleh. Wow, that is amazing about the extroverts and their thinking.
I thought i was just awkward/contradictory as my views on something can change a few days later. It makes sense now.

Thank you.

(sorry to derail) :D

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I believe there was a study somewhere about a link between Cerebral Blood Flow (the blood in your brain) and introversion/extraversion. Essentially, More blood to the part of your brain(namely, the frontal lobes) known for introverted characteristics and you become an introvert. Naturally, this would imply a continuum of introversion/extraversion. It also implies that any given individual has the characteristics of both an introvert and extravert, but some of these characteristics are inherently preferred over others.

Yeah, I just want something to shut up people who say you can't be an ambivert (in theory) :D

matilda

Psychological Types, Carl Jung

The introvert is distinguished from the extrovert by the fact that he does not, like the latter, orient himself by the object and by the objective data, but by subjective factors.

Thus, just as it seems incomprehensible to the introvert that the object should always be the decisive factor, it remains an enigma to the extravert how a subjective standpoint can be superior to the objective situation. He inevitably comes to the conclusion that the introvert is either a conceited egoist or crack-brained bigot.

The undervaluation of his own principle makes the introvert egotistical and forces on him the psychology of the underdog. The more egotistical he becomes, the more it seems to him that the others, who are apparently able, without qualms, to conform to the general style, are the oppressors against whom he must defend himself.

His fear of objects develops into a peculiar kind of cowardliness; he shrinks from making himself or his opinions felt, fearing that this will only increase the object's power... His ideal is a lonely island where nothing moves except what he permits to move.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Extroversion and introversion fundamentally involves (1) where someone gets energy and (2) how that person processes information.

****EXTROVERTS****
Extroverts get energy from being around people in unstructured settings. Often, simply being in the same room with other people energizes them. They are drained when being isolated or in an environment with incredibly structured interpersonal relationships. Often extroverts in these situations will find themselves picking at food, making random phone calls, or getting up and walking the halls in an attempt to re-energize themselves.

When it comes to processing information, it’s been said that if extroverts aren’t talking, they aren’t thinking. That isn’t too far from the truth. Extroverts are verbal processors—they talk about their ideas, tweak them as they talk, and then figure out what they’re thinking. This can be confusing for others because it can look like extroverts are forever changing their mind. Often an idea isn’t “real” until an extrovert has been able to brainstorm about it with other people. For them, interacting with people IS a worthy objective and a concrete task.

****INTROVERTS****
Introverts, on the other hand, tend to get energy from being alone or working with people in very structured ways. This does NOT mean they are socially inept. It simply means interacting with people for extended periods of time, especially in unstructured settings, will usually drain them. They’ll often need to go to lunch alone or close their office door to re-energize.

When introverts process information, they do the processing internally. They’ll mull over an idea by themselves, polishing it, making it just right. THEN, they’ll be ready to share it with others. When they finally do verbalize their idea, it’s a finished product.

Yeah, see when you put it that way, I'm more introverted.

introverted tend to think before doing, whereas extroverts do before thinking. This isn't set in stone and the behaviour can change depending on the functions that are active, but it seems fairly clear to me.

[edit] if you're having trouble with your type, don't look at it in terms of the letter dichotomy; that's for newbies. ;) Look at the behaviour of each function and consider which tend to line up with your behaviour.

Yeah, my Si is usually highest. Fi is far higher than Ne, which is almost non-existent. That leans more toward ISTJ.

I think only the person that come up with the terms could REALLY answer the question but the way I see it, Es are dependent on outside input and Is on inside output.

Was that vague enough? :D

Quite vague, lol.

The introvert is distinguished from the extrovert by the fact that he does not, like the latter, orient himself by the object and by the objective data, but by subjective factors.

This doesn't sound like me at all. If an introvert views an outside object subjectively and an extrovert views it objectively, then I'm the latter.

The undervaluation of his own principle makes the introvert egotistical and forces on him the psychology of the underdog. The more egotistical he becomes, the more it seems to him that the others, who are apparently able, without qualms, to conform to the general style, are the oppressors against whom he must defend himself.

This applies to me, however.

matilda

So the confusion stems from Sensing = external factors?

Someone's already suggested on here (forgot where) that I/E shouldn't have been linked to S/N, F/T in the first place. I dunno.

My best bet would be: Introverted. J=Thinking, P=Sensing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My money is on an answer that determines overall "extrovertedness" on all functions of a given type.

In short, from my limited learning and experience in this field of study, I'd say there should be SOME way to rank order all types on potential for E/I.

For instance, at the poles, we would have:

ESTP = Most Extroverted
INFJ = Least Extroverted

So here we are:

INFJ<----------------------------------------->ESTP

What's in the middle, and in what order?

Why?

My bet is that overall, the order goes something like:

INFJ<INTJ<INFP<INFP<-----??????????-----ESFJ>ESTJ>ESFP>ESTP

Discuss and thoughts.

:D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

****EXTROVERTS****

****INTROVERTS****

The words in bold are incredibly helpful to me.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
My money is on an answer that determines overall "extrovertedness" on all functions of a given type.

In short, from my limited learning and experience in this field of study, I'd say there should be SOME way to rank order all types on potential for E/I.

For instance, at the poles, we would have:

ESTP = Most Extroverted
INFJ = Least Extroverted

So here we are:

INFJ<----------------------------------------->ESTP

What's in the middle, and in what order?

Why?

My bet is that overall, the order goes something like:

INFJ<INTJ<INFP<INFP<-----??????????-----ESFJ>ESTJ>ESFP>ESTP

Discuss and thoughts.

:D

That's interesting. I might switch INFJ with INTJ, and ESFP with ESTP. Also I would definitely switch ESFJ with ESTJ, and put INTP as 3rd most introverted:

INTJ<INFJ<INTP<INFP<....<ESTJ<ESFJ<ESTP<ESFP

You get the idea. Of course this is in general, not in every case.

The words in bold are incredibly helpful to me.

I agree. I'm not at all drained by isolation, the opposite is more true (being around people is more draining). Also, I have deep ideas which I normally don't put into words or talk about. Plus I have no constant desire to keep hanging around people, but I do like interacting with the outside environment, though not in heavy doses.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

****EXTROVERTS****

****INTROVERTS****

Hmm, I do a little bit of both. I definitely ponder to myself quite a bit, but I may get outside feedback to narrow down the endless options Ne presents.
In that sense, I do talk my thoughts through, but it's not entirely external or internal because I also process things in my head.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Hmm, I do a little bit of both. I definitely ponder to myself quite a bit, but I may get outside feedback to narrow down the endless options Ne presents.
In that sense, I do talk my thoughts through, but it's not entirely external or internal because I also process things in my head.

If it's processing things in your head, wouldn't that be introverted (internal)?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This should definitely be useful: Extraversion and introversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quoted from the article:

The trait of extroversion-introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extroverts (also spelled extraverts[1]) tend to be gregarious, assertive, and interested in seeking out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, tend to be more reserved, less outgoing, but are also marked by a richer inner world. They are not necessarily loners but they tend to have smaller circles of friends and are less likely to thrive on making new social contacts. Introverts are less likely to seek stimulation from others because their own thoughts and imagination are stimulating enough.

The terms introversion and extroversion were first popularized by Carl Jung.[2] Virtually all comprehensive models of personality include these concepts. Examples include Jung's Analytical psychology, Eysenck's three-factor model, Cattell's 16 personality factors, the Big Five personality traits, the four temperaments, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, and Socionics.

Extroversion and introversion are generally understood as a single continuum. Thus, to be high on one is necessarily to be low on the other. While extreme introverts and extroverts are a psychological reality,[3][4] most people fluctuate between the two poles throughout their lives.

It is asserted that Americans live in an "extroverted society"[5] that rewards extrovert behavior and rejects introversion. "American culture values extroverted qualities more, and people often feel like they've been given the 'short end of the stick' after receiving their results on extroversion/introversion tests."[6]

Varieties

Extroversion

Extroversion is "the act, state, or habit of being predominantly concerned with and obtaining gratification from what is outside the self".[7] Extroverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastic, talkative, assertive, and gregarious. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. Politics, teaching, sales, managing, and brokering are fields that favor extroversion. An extroverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone. They tend to be energized when around other people, and they are more prone to boredom when they are by themselves.

Introversion

Introversion is "the state of or tendency toward being wholly or predominantly concerned with and interested in one's own mental life".[7] Introverts tend to be more reserved and less assertive in social situations. They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, drawing, and using computers. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, composer, and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they tend to enjoy interactions with close friends. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate.[8] Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement. The introvert tends to thoroughly think before verbalising their thoughts.[9]

Introversion is generally not the same as shyness. Introverts choose solitary over social activities by preference, whereas shy people avoid social encounters out of fear.

From reading these descriptions and other comparisons on this page, I am definitely a strong Introvert.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it's processing things in your head, wouldn't that be introverted (internal)?

Yes, but I also talk things out to a degree also. My point is that it's not entirely clear cut. I maintain I am introverted though, and I think talking out ideas is not exclusive to extroverts. I suppose it is the degree to which you do it that may be a clue.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yes, but I also talk things out to a degree also. My point is that it's not entirely clear cut. I maintain I am introverted though, and I think talking out ideas is not exclusive to extroverts. I suppose it is the degree to which you do it that may be a clue.

Ah I see what you mean.

wolfy

awsm

****EXTROVERTS****

****INTROVERTS****

I'm extrovert here.

I'm extrovert here too. I'm not sure about the function thing.

I'm ambivert here. I'm not gregarious and all the other rah rah stuff in the article. I do talk about my ideas though.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP

I look at the functions and some jackass told me off for looking at dichotomies when I only did that as a small part of it );