• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pairing 2 extraverted or 2 introverted functions together?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
This came up from a discussion I had with substitute. Have you ever used an extroverted perceiving function with an extroverted judging function (eg Ne Te) or two introverted functions together (eg Ni Ti) together? Such function pairing isn't talked about in most theories... in fact some of them insists the pair should be one inwards the other outwards. That it's not possible otherwise. Also if you had, what did you find the easiest to pair together? Discuss... (and feel free to go as off topic as you like. It's all good!) ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh, I'll see what comes of this in the morning, for now it's beddie-byes for those of us in Europe that have early morning starts! :D

ygolo

My termites win
I use Ti and Si together a lot (if my inanely quote and link riddled posts weren't enough of a clue).

I think there are practical reasons for using Ti and Si together ("proving" things better, working out the details of a design, etc.), but not engaging Ne, can render the whole thing unclear and unusable (despite "working better" or "being better proven").

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I use Ti and Si together a lot (if my inanely quote and link riddled posts weren't enough of a clue).

*nods* That makes sense. I find myself relying on Ni Ti in explaining things a lot. Again, dominant, tertiary function pairs seem to pop up. (really need more data though to support this) Question to you, Have you ever try say Ti Ni? Or does Ne tries overrides your attempt like Ni Fe for me?

ygolo

My termites win
*nods* That makes sense. I find myself relying on Ni Ti in explaining things a lot. Again, dominant, tertiary function pairs seem to pop up. (really need more data though to support this) Question to you, Have you ever try say Ti Ni? Or does Ne tries overrides your attempt like Ni Fe for me?

Sure I use Ti and Ni to hatch plans for "world domination".

Unlike, the Ni-Te combination that may see a vision and try to produce it in the world, I try to elicit principles about ideas that become pervasive (and try to create an original idea from those principles).

Again, this has practical purposes, but without my Ne, these are just ideas in incubation.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Currently my top two functions are Ti and Fi, brought to that level by overuse. I used them together to consider what kind of acceptable worldview is possible - such that maintains truth both in feelings and systems of information. I found that while mathematical logic is infallible, the application to the world is not, even tho we would wish to maintain infallible philosphies. I also found that emotions and values come as given, and a person may notice them if they listen well enough. These form a basement for personal philosophy, that takes into account one's psyche.

It helped me to solve the meaning of my personal life in an uncommunicatable way. It is really, really, really, really *REALLY* rare for me to understand something I can't hope to communicate. Usually my ability to explain and the ability to understand follow each other closely. I'm an auditory learner, as well. Everything I read and experienced couldn't establish the meaning of life for me. When I understood it, I was unable to translate it to the outside world, and still am. No, it ain't God, I could communicate that.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
From everything I've been able to assertain I use Ne and Te followed by Ni and Ti the most. As an INTJ the order is supposed to be Ni then Te, but I've read that you develop the introverted / extroverted functions very close together.

ygolo

My termites win
Currently my top two functions are Ti and Fi, brought to that level by overuse. I used them together to consider what kind of acceptable worldview is possible - such that maintains truth both in feelings and systems of information. I found that while mathematical logic is infallible, the application to the world is not, even tho we would wish to maintain infallible philosphies. I also found that emotions and values come as given, and a person may notice them if they listen well enough. These form a basement for personal philosophy, that takes into account one's psyche.

It helped me to solve the meaning of my personal life in an uncommunicatable way. It is really, really, really, really *REALLY* rare for me to understand something I can't hope to communicate. Usually my ability to explain and the ability to understand follow each other closely. I'm an auditory learner, as well. Everything I read and experienced couldn't establish the meaning of life for me. When I understood it, I was unable to translate it to the outside world, and still am. No, it ain't God, I could communicate that.

I also use Ti and Fi together. I find it difficult to evaluating the importance of something without analyzing it. In fact, although all the functions work together, the following "requirements" seem to hold for me.

("-->" means "seems to require")

1. Se-->Ne-Experiencing and noticing the physical world requires(or seems to require) me to infer relationships and threads of meaning.
  2. Fi-->Ti-Evaluating the importance and understanding what is of value requires me to analyze what is being evaluated and its context.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some perhaps interesting thoughts related to this question:

Tertiary Temptation
Tertiary Defense

Yes, that's what I was going to describe here, but you can just read the wonderful links. ;)

(The gist is that the temptation is for an extrovert [introvert] to fall back on the extroverted [introverted] tertiary because it is "safe" or comfortable in some way, when really what they need to do is to take risks and develop their secondary. Relying on tertiary will usually just make the problem worse.)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Thanks for the links Tovlo! I must have missed those pages somehow.