• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So, which letter is the most important?

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hello everybody! So, I've been becoming more and more interested in exploring the romantic side of life. :wubbie: This whole MBTI thing is new to me and it is very fascinating to me.

First of all, I know friendships are different from romantic relationships. Second, I know you shouldn't judge people based on their type (as any type can work out through open communication, common believes, common interests, ect), but knowing someone's type can give you an outline on what to expect. Also, some types just naturally work out better than others because there is something about those letters that makes the magic happen. From reading around, it seems some letters have some priority over other letters.

The question is, in a romantic relationship, what letter of the MBTI would you say seems to be the most important (E/I, N/S, F/T, or J/P)? Also, what about the strength of the letters (Someone with a 20% J vs someone with a 90% J) and how that can influence the importance of that letter.

If there is another thread on this subject (I did try looking), I apologise in advance. Also, there didn't seem to be a general discussion area, so I decided to post this question in the NF section as I'm a NF.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Moved to MBTI, Enneagram, and other personality matrices.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oops, I didn't even see this section.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
For me, I'd say N.

It's possible that it would be F in your case, though. I think it's usually whatever your dominant function is.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The question is, in a romantic relationship, what letter of the MBTI would you say seems to be the most important (E/I, N/S, F/T, or J/P)? Also, what about the strength of the letters (Someone with a 20% J vs someone with a 90% J) and how that can influence the importance of that letter.

N

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn new ENFJ for stealing my thread idea.
I was getting to typing it out.
I really was...

The most useful letter for relationships, (for me anyway)
has been

F

(Todays letter is the letter F!!)

warmth and nurturing, compassion....
I find that overuse of Te is a downfall.. Nobody wants a super efficient workaholic girlfriend with little emotional expression.

Ni has been destructive on the other end.. People blaming me for things I didn't do.. trying to draw meaning where there is none. Making absurd guesses as to what I'm thinking. That can be confusing and frustrating for someone whos pretty straightforward and honest!!

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
N vs. S.

I think where a person falls on the dimension of each letter probably matters a great deal, too. Someone who is toward the middle is likely to be very different than someone on the extremes, but I don't know of research on it. It's just a guess.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In my opinion it's P vs. J

deleted
Quite concurrently, N for N, and S for S.

J/P is only important due to the fact that someone could consider type association either way and find that of importance to relationships. For instance, many Ps find it essential that they have a J type. Where as many Ps find another P type to be essential. This goes for Js too. I think I wrote an interpretation of this a long time ago.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
In a relationship N/S is most important. I just don't see the world in nearly the same way as the S's around me. It's almost like we're from two different planets.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
In a relationship N/S is most important. I just don't see the world in nearly the same way as the S's around me. It's almost like we're from two different planets.

Seconded ^^

(btw. did you know if you cut S people they actually bleed green ? :D)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I/E is the least important and N/S definitely the most important, in my opinion.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find it interesting that so many folks think that the S/N distinction is the most important. I don't. In fact, I think I may be attracted to some Ss (particularly SPs) because they get me out of my head. I don't know if I could get along with a partner if he was EXTREMELY S, but I honestly don't get the fixation with N.

Then again, my preference for P over J might strike others equally as odd.

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i'm drawn naturally most often to Ns, vice-versa, but also sometimes to SPs.
i seem to be able to do S and J separately, but not together (for romantic purposes, at least)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find it interesting that so many folks think that the S/N distinction is the most important. I don't. In fact, I think I may be attracted to some Ss (particularly SPs) because they get me out of my head. I don't know if I could get along with a partner if he was EXTREMELY S, but I honestly don't get the fixation with N.

Then again, my preference for P over J might strike others equally as odd.

I think J vs P is the biggest issue. I think the whole N/S split is a good because it helps you see multiple sides of things. The thing though is Se/Ne can be good together and Ni/Si can be good together. To have these work you they must be either dominant or auxilary for both because our tertiary we dont trust and inferior we are only good with in certain areas. So to get Ne/Se and Ni/Si to line up you must both either be J or both P.

J and P is a huge determining factor because it is not a single function, it decides whether you learn from experience or not. J types tend to learn better from others and P types tend to want to do it and see what happens.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the whole N/S split is a good because it helps you see multiple sides of things. The thing though is Se/Ne can be good together and Ni/Si can be good together.
Not IME. Frienships can be okay, but for romantic relationships not really. I go best with other strong intuitives, Ni or Ne.

For me, the order of importance is approximately, from greatest importance to least importance:

1. N/S (strong N)
2. T/F = J/P (prefer someone who is fairly adept with both)
3. E/I (If an E, not a strong one)