• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the most paranoid type?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll second whoever said INFJ - every one I've known has been very prone to getting all kinds of odd ideas about why I don't contact them, if I don't do so with military-like regularity! And every time I've tried to help them with any problem by presenting possible solutions, they piss all over them by confidently predicting that it will all go wrong, there's no point and we're all doomed.

Having said that, ISTJ's, with inferior Ne, can be very paranoid too. The guy I mentioned in the ISTJ's gone wrong thread won't get any help with his OCD because he believes that if he tells people then they'll use it as a weapon against him and start planting the objects of his fears in his path all the time just for laughs.

The same could be said though of ISTP's, most I've known have been quite cynical and very much into those conspiracy type books and the 'worst case' I've known is convinced that everyone in the world is an asshole that's not worth bothering with, and writes people off within seconds of knowing them if he even detects that they're at all insincere - he cooks up all kinds of 'reasons' why they are, when to anyone else it's plainly obvious that theyr'e just nervous or shy - maybe it's inferior Ni that does that.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
A stressed out ENFP.

Under normal circumstances, an IXXJ type - though when these types experience it, it's more of a mellow consistent worrisome state rather than raving and delusional paranoia. Not nearly as extreme or wacked out as the stressed out ENFP. I have seen some INFPs be conspiracy theorist types but it's more an erroneous conceptual analysis vs an uncontrolled "everyone is out to get me" type paranoia.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh. Is that where I get it from. (I have some INFJ motivations.)

Worse case scenario is not as bad as paranoia, in my experience.
W.C.S. is thinking and worrying about all the things that could possibly go wrong- while you are still safe.
There is some control to it because you still have the hope that things could turn out ok anyway.

Paranoia is more like being convinced the "bad thing" is happening right now.

I used to suffer from some paranoia as a child, I struggle with PTSD occasionally, and I have had a couple of panic attacks, but I'm not sure that is because of my type.

I think INTJ's imagine the worst case scenario too. But with an INTJ their thinking function can bring them "back to reality" so to speak. INFJ's have less objectivity.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Personally, I mostly exist in my own little bubble of "If I try to be nice to everybody, then everybody will be indifferent and/or try to at least be civil to me."

When that bubble is burst for whatever reason and I feel as though "It's not safe out there!" I have trouble being, as T_L_L, says, objective about it. There is a spook around every corner and they are all in cahoots and out to get me and I probably deserve it.

Eventually I get my bubble back and things are fine. What I don't seem to have is anything in between.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think INTJ's imagine the worst case scenario too. But with an INTJ their thinking function can bring them "back to reality" so to speak. INFJ's have less objectivity.

I think it's the reverse.

Paranoia stems from mis-understanding what people are actually thinking. INFJs are generally more accurate at reading what others are thinking or feeling and it's due to the fact they are more objective when it comes to reading people intentions and thoughts.

INTJs are far more likely to prejudge or misunderstand someone's motivations from erroneous analysis of the given situation.

INFJs are far more likely to be scared, however. Scared of creepy crawly things or bumps in the night.

Last edited:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
INTJs are far more likely to prejudge or misunderstand someone's motivations from erroneous analysis of the given situation.

INFJs are far more likely to be scared, however. Scared of creepy crawly things or bumps in the night.

It would seem that paranoia in general could be associated with the Ni. Any attempt to understand another person's motivations, thoughts, or feelings is bound to drive someone up a wall. And of course, the Ni's ability to take in external stimuli and create patterns or possibilities that simply don't exist but feel real none-the-less, can be just as terrifying.

At work, I can often misinterpret people's motivations and just believe that people are out to get me. I can also remember when I was younger and I was by myself and I would look out a window I would always be certain that there was a pair of glowing red eyes staring back at me. Heck, not too long ago I absolutely refused to open the bathroom door for like 10 minutes because I had the overwhelming feeling that the antichrist or some demon was on the other side. Talk about an irrational fear.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Yes, but we're more rationally scared. ;) All the creepy crawly things are things that happen to other people that we don't want happening to us. That's how I see it anyway. If anything, we're least likely to see ourselves as invincible...we're far more aware of our susceptibility to "bad things" than most people I suppose.

I guess it would be fair to say INFJs are naturally over-cautious, rather than paranoid.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
It would seem that paranoia in general could be associated with the Ni. Any attempt to understand another person's motivations, thoughts, or feelings is bound to drive someone up a wall. And of course, the Ni's ability to take in external stimuli and create patterns or possibilities that simply don't exist but feel real none-the-less, can be just as terrifying.

At work, I can often misinterpret people's motivations and just believe that people are out to get me. I can also remember when I was younger and I was by myself and I would look out a window I would always be certain that there was a pair of glowing red eyes staring back at me. Heck, not too long ago I absolutely refused to open the bathroom door for like 10 minutes because I had the overwhelming feeling that the antichrist or some demon was on the other side. Talk about an irrational fear.

Interesting maybe it is an Ni thing. ENFPs tend to only get paranoid when under extreme stress and when they're unhealthy. Normally they're the farthest thing from paranoid.

I guess in normal situations, those with Ni are more likely to actually be paranoid.

I was equating paranoid to refer to fear of people but I guess it could apply to imaginary creatures as well. An infj friend once told me that she used to refuse to close her eyes in the shower because she would imagine scary things (if she recently saw a horror movie or had a bad dream the night before).

My INFJ gf freaks out if I hold a knife and wave it around, she can't even look at it. I figured I would just keep doing it with the hopes of desensitizing her, because the silliness of the fear. It didn't work and she wasn't amused.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My INFJ gf freaks out if I hold a knife and wave it around, she can't even look at it. I figured I would just keep doing it with the hopes of desensitizing her, because the silliness of the fear. It didn't work and she wasn't amused.

I'm similar to that... once my father had a switchblade-like box cutter, and pulled it out without warning. I was so freaked out that I jumped backwards, screamed "Please don't kill me!," and took a defensive posture before I realized what was going on. He laughed, but I basically got jumpy every time I saw him make any sudden moves for the next month. Now he warns me before using it, and I insist on leaving the room, and closing a door behind me until he finishes.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm similar to that... once my father had a switchblade-like box cutter, and pulled it out without warning. I was so freaked out that I jumped backwards, screamed "Please don't kill me!," and took a defensive posture before I realized what was going on. He laughed, but I basically got jumpy every time I saw him make any sudden moves for the next month. Now he warns me before using it, and I insist on leaving the room, and closing a door behind me until he finishes.

Oh my god, you must all be like this!! I thought it was her own little quirk. Fascinating.

The first time I witnessed this, I pulled out a kitchen knife to do this fun game I occasionally do, where I throw a knife up in the air spinning - so I can catch the handle. She freaked, which startled me, and I almost stabbed my own foot when it clanked on the floor.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I guess in normal situations, those with Ni are more likely to actually be paranoid.

I was equating paranoid to refer to fear of people but I guess it could apply to imaginary creatures as well....

Paranoia to me is more about irrational fear arising from imagined situations. So it makes sense that Ni would be more sensitive to it than Ne. Ne can come up with some rather bizarre things, but it takes Ni to perceive intent, be it real or imaginary.

Knives... I tend to have rather dramatic startle responses as well. It dies down quickly though thank goodness. Speaking of which, I've never seen INTJs do that... perhaps it's specific to INFJs due to our awareness of people's emotions?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

:dry: You had to remind me. I am terrified of people holding knives.

I had a roommate who used to do the same dang thing and one day he approached me waving a vegetable knife around and I flung my hand up to protect myself, caught the back of my hand on the knife, and it left a nice 2 inch cut. It didn't bleed or hurt that bad, but I still have a faint scar.

Knives aren't toys. :1377:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Who you calling paranoid?

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4