• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensors who think they are Intuitives

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually wish sometimes I was an ISTP so that I could have a stronger Se and just enjoy the moment but still have my introverted and thinking preferences and the P would do nice to not think of everything and the impossible that happens!
I was raised by two Sensors and two Intuitives (INFJ/ISFP and ISTJ/INTJ) that were paired together likewise and I think that I was better for it. Intuition does not equal Intelligence.
They're the lucky ones--they can find partners...

Join the club, ISTPs rule because that type does whatever it pleases despite what the social heirarchy decides the rules are because after all, you have to make the rules, not follow them!

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Intuition does not equal Intelligence.

There was a similar statement on another thread which said the opposite, i.e. that intuition = intelligence. I posted a reply to that. I will reply to this one too. It agrees with you but puts it a different way:

1. Intuitives are more intellectual than Sensors.
2. Intellect and intelligence are not the same thing

Intellect concerns our ability to think in the abstract. Intelligence, for me, is our ability to cope with the world around us. Arguably S types would score higher here than Ns.

PS: I might add a 3rd bullet:
3. IQ tests measure intellect not intelligence.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A true S type would look at some of those questions and think "what a load of bollocks". So I'm not sure I agree that many supposed Ns are really S types in disguise. They are true Ns who appreciate the beauty of the natural (or even manmade) world

My ISTJ mother has taken a few of these tests, and always tests ISTJ. And she's indicated that excessive theorizing is stupid and I think she finds head-in-the-cloud cerebral sorts (INTJ's) silly - she actually looks more down on those types - in an I-don't-have-any-desire-to-aspire-to-that/I-don't-understand-that sort of way. So, I honestly don't think she'd be that into INTJ descriptions. :shrug:

I believe my father to be an ISFJ, and he's a very smart, rather bookish man. But I'd never be able to get him to take an mbti test, because he kind of scoffs at the very notion of all of it. I am really not sure what he would test as, though. I tend to think he too wouldn't look so favorably upon how N dichotomies are worded in some of these tests; I think he takes a lot of pride in practicality, common sense, and all of the other descriptors used for S-dichotomy questions.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was a similar statement on another thread which said the opposite, i.e. that intuition = intelligence. I posted a reply to that. I will reply to this one too. It agrees with you but puts it a different way:

1. Intuitives are more intellectual than Sensors.
2. Intellect and intelligence are not the same thing

Intellect concerns our ability to think in the abstract. Intelligence, for me, is our ability to cope with the world around us. Arguably S types would score higher here than Ns.

PS: I might add a 3rd bullet:
3. IQ tests measure intellect not intelligence.
You might want to add a 4th bullet point, all too often omitted from these discussions:

4. MBTI describes preference, not ability.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
4. MBTI describes preference, not ability.

The most intelligent people in both crowds seem to be able to quickly translate and switch.

In general I assume the most intelligent people tend to score towards the middle on all axes, being competent in all areas.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know that i would say the most intelligent but likely the most successful or effective people do.

R

Riva

Since the OP is about -

This thread is about natural sensors who think they are intuitives

But now you can even tolerate Riva! :happy2:

mean that you doubt my ENTPness? How dare you!
Or are you referring to my iNTj self typing?
Or are you referring to my constant poking of the poor fellow?

Dude, the most interesting part of this thread was finding out that you used to get annoyed.

I have tried great many things to annoy him (especially on vent). To my despair I have only met with failure. Sigh!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since the OP is about -

I have tried great many things to annoy him (especially on vent). To my despair I have only met with failure. Sigh!

So Riva how did you now decide on eNtp rather than iNTj?
Personally I have considered both of those for my type before too! Such awsome types that everyone wants to be!

R

Riva

So Riva how did you now decide on eNtp rather than iNTj?
Personally I have considered both of those for my type before too! Such awsome types that everyone wants to be!

I have 'chosen' to 'be' an ENTP. With practice, perseverance, and an overwhelming amount of patience I believe I could become one.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have 'chosen' to 'be' an ENTP. With practice, perseverance, and an overwhelming amount of patience I believe I could become one.

This is what the OP was complaining about with his friends saying that although they are trying to act like intuitives it is not their most comfortable and natural state and is an energy withdrawl. I suppose the same could apply to you if you were not born extraverted and yet you try to act that way. Of course you could just be joking about "trying to be ENTP." Maybe you really are one!

A

Anew Leaf

I think people often have a huge disconnect between who they are and who they want to be and whether or not the two ideas are compatible with each other.

It is better to try and know what you are as you are it, negatives and positives and all, and then create a goal self to evolve into.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont get it. I am definately S and have no issues whatsoever with it. I am definite T instead of N. I dont see why N is made to be better then S. I look at INTx and i dont feel inferior.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Tsk tsk. :popc1:

G

garbage

It is better to try and know what you are as you are it, negatives and positives and all, and then create a goal self to evolve into.
Yup. When you want to improve, you kind of have to know what you're working with.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Didn't read all 26 pages, but is it just because people most easily misunderstand S? I don't think it's inferior, but I honestly don't feel that I understand it. Perhaps that's why a lot of people trend toward N. :shrug:

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

While living with a Jewish holocaust survivor for 9 months in a small condo and being very very quiet living in a small bedroom I tested INTJ. Prior to that, ENTP. After, ENTP.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always wondered if maybe I'm a sensor, because i don't buy into the typical elitism of the Ns. I think both sensors and intuitives have their merits.

yeah, I never really got that either. I never see N's as more intellectual or mystical than S's. I see S's as being intellectual about things on a smaller scale while N's on a larger scale. I always suspected Ne doms to simply not be aware of their surroundings and be kind of flighty and interested in many different topics on a shallow level. Ni's, maybe more intellectual in areas like politics (broad yet relevant). Se's, kind of like Ne's except with more focus on stuff that's relevant or up-and-coming, happening now rather than just a whole bunch of random stuff. Si's, things that simply require a lot of detail orientation and specificity like maybe different wildlife in a certain area of Africa for instance. (uh. sorry maybe that's not the best example, sounds really boring to me. :laugh:)

None is "smarter" or more elite, and Jesus Christ definitely not more special except that one supposedly makes up a lesser percentage of the population and I'm not really sure where we got lost on that.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Didn't read all 26 pages, but is it just because people most easily misunderstand S? I don't think it's inferior, but I honestly don't feel that I understand it. Perhaps that's why a lot of people trend toward N. :shrug:

what about words like reality,facts, and concrete are hard to understand?
:laugh:

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
what about words like reality,facts, and concrete are hard to understand?
:laugh:

Well obviously those words are not hard to understand. They must be understood within a specific context, not as isolated words. :wink: