• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Link types with temperaments

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is a thread which task is to show how types inside each temperament are percived. What means that I am after a subjective opinion.
Also I am quite aware of generalizations that will occure here. However this thread is about perception of the types.

Here is an example for SJ temperament

ISTJ-NT
ESTJ-SJ
ESFJ-NF
ISFJ-SP

The point is too link a type to a temperament for which you think that it is most appropriate/similar to that type. In the given example the ESTJ is rated as most SJ type. While ISTJ is the most NTish one, etc......

Copy/paste this and fill it in.

SJ

ESTJ
ISTJ
ESFJ
ISFJ

SP

ESTP
ISTP
ESFP
ISFP

NF

ENFP
ENFJ
INFP
INFJ

NT

ENTP
ENTJ
INTP
INTJ

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awesome thread idea.

SJ

ESTJ- SJ/NT
ISTJ- SJ/NT
ESFJ- SP/NF
ISFJ- NT/NF

SP

ESTP- SP
ISTP- NT
ESFP- SP
ISFP- NF

NF

ENFP- SP/NT
ENFJ- NF
INFP- NF/NT
INFJ- NF/NT

NT

ENTP- SP/NT
ENTJ- SP/NT
INTP- SJ/NT
INTJ- NF/NT

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Copy/paste this and fill it in.

Interesting question. I came up with something similar a while back purely using function theory, but this seems more empirical.

SJ

ESTJ - NT
ISTJ - SJ
ESFJ - SP
ISFJ - NF

SP

ESTP - SJ
ISTP - NT
ESFP - SP
ISFP - NF

NF

ENFP - SP
ENFJ - NF
INFP - SJ
INFJ - NT

NT

ENTP - SP
ENTJ - SJ
INTP - NT
INTJ - NF

Not as symmetrical as pure theory would make them, but there they are.

lane777

nevermore

True for my ESFJ friend. She isn't completely convinced she's an S - even though I'm certain of it. Although I do admit how I've always considered her to be borderline on the S/N; she's very comfortable with abstract - anything, metaphorical speech, theories etc.

INFJ- NF/NT

INFJ - NT

Yep. :yes: I frequently type as an NT (mostly INTP/INTJ)... which is absolutely ludicrous when looking at their profiles - I never considered those two as a possibility. However, I do give off strong INTJ/INTP vibes to people who don't know me well.

Awesome thread by the way.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All you have to do is swap the temperaments for the Interaction Styles, sing the Galen temperament matches.

Here's the Key:
Melancholic: SJ, IST/INJ
Choleric: NT, EST/ENJ
Sanguine: SP, ESF/ENP
Phlegmatic (or Supine) NF, ISF/INP

So we get a list close to one of the ones above, with a few differences:

SJ

ESTJ - NT
ISTJ - SJ
ESFJ - SP
ISFJ - NF

SP

ESTP - NT
ISTP - SJ

ESFP - SP
ISFP - NF

NF

ENFP - SP
ENFJ - NT
INFP - NF
INFJ - SJ

NT

ENTP - SP
ENTJ - NT
INTP - NF
INTJ - SJ

Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
All you have to do is swap the temperaments for the Interaction Styles, sing the Galen temperament matches.

Here's the Key:
Melancholic: SJ, IST/INJ
Choleric: NT, EST/ENJ
Sanguine: SP, ESF.ENP
Phlegmatic (or Supine) NF, ISF/INP

So we get a list close to one of the ones above, with a few differences:

SJ

ESTJ - NT
ISTJ - SJ
ESFJ - SP
ISFJ - NF

SP

ESTP - NT
ISTP - SJ

ESFP - SP
ISFP - NF

NF

ENFP - SP
ENFJ - NT
INFP - NF
INFJ - SJ

NT

ENTP - SP
ENTJ - NT
INTP - NF
INTJ - SJ

Wow. That's depressing. :(

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i don't get it. how can any ESFJ be perceived as an SP or an NF? maybe there is something i am missing here.

hommefatal

You could as well just regard shared dominant functions. Both ENFP and ENTP are Ne dominant so NT is the best match for ENFP.

ESTJ = NT
ESFJ = NF
ISTJ = SJ
ISFJ = SJ

ESTP = SP
ESFP = SP
ISTP = NT
ISFP = NF

ENTJ = SJ
ENTP = NF
INTJ = NF
INTP = SP

ENFJ = SJ
ENFP = NT
INFJ = NT
INFP = SP

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow. That's depressing. :(
:confused:
i don't get it. how can any ESFJ be perceived as an SP or an NF? maybe there is something i am missing here.

These should be reversed, IMO.

I didn't have time to spell out the temperament combinations this morning, so here's how it corresponds (It has nothing to do with cognitive processes, or even the MBTI dichotomies):

SJ(=Melancholic)

ESTJ - NT (Choleric Melancholic: EST=Choleric=NT)
ISTJ - SJ (pure Melancholy: IST=Melancholic=SJ)
ESFJ - SP (Sanguine Melancholic: ESF=Sanguine=SP)
ISFJ - NF (Phlegmatic Melancholic: ISF=Phlegmatic=NF)

SP (=Sanguine)

ESTP - NT (Choleric Sanguine: EST=Choleric=NT)
ISTP - SJ (Melancholic Sanguine: IST=Melancholic=SJ)
ESFP - SP (Pure Sanguine: ESF=Sanguine=SP)
ISFP - NF (Phlegmatic Sanguine: ISF=Phlegmatic=NF)

NF (=Phlegmatic; Diplomatic skills set; not Choleric)

ENFP - SP (Sanguine Phlegmatic: ENP=Sanguine=SP)
ENFJ - NT (Choleric Phlegmatic: ENJ=Choleric=NT)
INFP - NF (Pure Phlegmatic: INP=Phlegmatic=NF)
INFJ - SJ (Melancholic Phlegmatic: INJ=Melancholic=SJ)

NT (=Choleric; Strategic skills set, need for mastery; not Phlegmatic)

ENTP - SP (Sanguine Choleric: ENP=Sanguine=SP)
ENTJ - NT (Pure Choleric: ENJ=Choleric=NT)
INTP - NF (Phlegmatic Choleric: INP=Phlegmatic=NF)
INTJ - SJ (Melancholic Choleric: INJ=Melancholic=SJ)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't have time to spell out the temperament combinations this morning, so here's how it corresponds (It has nothing to do with cognitive processes, or even the MBTI dichotomies):

Oh, I know what you were basing it off of, since I know you work with the temperaments and such. But in reality, ENFJ is nothing like any type of NT, for example. Btw, where do you get the temperament/type match-ups from anyway? INFJ seems not very Sanguine at all.

Also, I got these scores on some temperament test (forget which one, but it was linked from this forum):

Your personality is Melancholy Choleric
Melancholy 48%
Choleric 24%

The Sanguine percentage was negligible. What say you to these results?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another way to do it, LaHaye/4 Marks style, but using Keirsey's names:

ESTJ - Rational Guardian
ISTJ - Pure Guardian
ESFJ - Artisan Guardian
ISFJ - Idealist Guardian

ESTP - Rational Artisan
ISTP - Guardian Artisan
ESFP - Pure Artisan
ISFP - Idealist Artisan

ENFP - Artisan Idealist
ENFJ - Rational Idealist
INFP - Pure Idealist
INFJ - Guardian Idealist

ENTP - Artisan Rational
ENTJ - Pure Rational
INTP - Idealist Rational
INTJ - Guardian Rational

This might even help some people who are not sure of their temperament. Like I know one ISFP who wondered about SP vs NF, but ISFP can be thought of as sort of Idealist mixed with Artisan. Again, this is not about any "iNtuition" being mixed with the "Sensing" preference. It's the behavioral temperament/interaction style mix.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I know what you were basing it off of, since I know you work with the temperaments and such. But in reality, ENFJ is nothing like any type of NT, for example.
In being "Choleric", it kind of is, in a way. Choleric in interaction (In Charge-ENJ) is extraverted (expressive) and directive. NT as Choleric in the area of conation (action) is pragmatic and structure-focused. These parallel each other and produce an aggressive temperament where the person is quick to move, whether in social interaction, or in action.
Though there is dispute as NT and NF as which is Choleric and which is Phlegmatic. Keirsey looked at "exciteability" vs "calmness". But that level of the temperaments is basically covered by the Interaction Styles (which he did not directly outline, or at least not really highlight until his new book last year). The NT covers the "competitive" aspect of the Choleric, and the NF has the Diplomatic Skills set of the Phlegmatic.

Btw, where do you get the temperament/type match-ups from anyway? INFJ seems not very Sanguine at all.
That was supposed to be "Melancholy Phlegmatic" :blushing:{fixed}

Also, I got these scores on some temperament test (forget which one, but it was linked from this forum): Your personality is Melancholy Choleric
Melancholy 48%
Choleric 24%

The Sanguine percentage was negligible. What say you to these results?

That would go along with Keirsey's theory. NF=Choleric; INJ=Melancholic (Keirsey now calls the interactive role "Contender"). Though most INFJ's do come out as Melancholy Phlegmatic. A couple of others may have come out like you did. On the other hand, INTJ's almost all come out as Melancholy Cholerics!
I see that Choleric was low compared to Melancholy. What did Phlegmatic come out as?

(Also, there's Supine the fifth temperament, and many INFJ's might really be Melancholy Supine. One here actually took the full APS (not the free online test in the thread on that) and came out as Melancholy-Supine! The Supine will likely be replaced by something else on the four temperament test, or perhaps the next strongest temperament will come out as the secondary).

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In being "Choleric", it kind of is, in a way. Choleric in interaction (In Charge-ENJ) is extraverted (expressive) and directive. NT as Choleric in the area of conation (action) is pragmatic and structure-focused. These parallel each other and produce an aggressive temperament where the person is quick to move, whether in social interaction, or in action.
Though there is dispute as NT and NF as which is Choleric and which is Phlegmatic. Keirsey looked at "exciteability" vs "calmness". But that level of the temperaments is basically covered by the Interaction Styles (which he did not directly outline, or at least not really highlight until his new book last year). The NT covers the "competitive" aspect of the Choleric, and the NF has the Diplomatic Skills set of the Phlegmatic.
Oh, interesting.

I see that Choleric was low compared to Melancholy. What did Phlegmatic come out as?
22 percent, so not far behind.

(Also, there's Supine the fifth temperament, and many INFJ's might really be Melancholy Supine. One here actually took the full APS (not the free online test in the thread on that) and came out as Melancholy-Supine! The Supine will likely be replaced by something else on the four temperament test, or perhaps the next strongest temperament will come out as the secondary).

Hmmm, Supine doesn't look right for me, reading up on it. Too much emphasis on serving in an actual sense; I'm not good at that. But I could see how it would fit an INFJ.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you're likely Melancholy Phlegmatic. There's also Melancholy-Phlegmatic-Choleric, which you can read about here: Fourtemperaments.com, though those blends might not correspond in the same way as temperament+interaction style.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you're likely Melancholy Phlegmatic. There's also Melancholy-Phlegmatic-Choleric, which you can read about here: Fourtemperaments.com, though those blends might not correspond in the same way as temperament+interaction style.

Yes, the idealist. I agree with that one. If I'm anything, it's an idealist. I was also reading the combinations here and I identify with both Mel/Phlegm and Mel/Chol. So I'm likely a mix of the three. Thanks for your help!