• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti/Te users: Explain the differences.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I would discuss the theory with you, see where you are going with it and try to figure out what your 'point' is in telling me this. Though I could continue to discuss something without applying it if it was something like 'art history' or design, pros and cons of emissions testing, etc. I think I'm more like your father. What type is he?
My father is an ENTJ, though not a typical one due to his exposure to MBTI for the last 14 years or so..

As for my "point".. I'm of the school that believes that trying to harshly define things in terms of psychology harms as much as it helps. I don't see introversion and extroversion as black and white.. more labels assigned to people who display a disposition for preferring certain things. I guess that's always been enough for me.

What lead me to this thinking is that introverts are described as needing time alone to recharge and extraverts needing time in company.. however having spoken to extraverts and introverts the opposite is also true and often more marked by the subject. An extravert will usually be quick to point out how they need alone time to feel okay (presumably because it stands out in comparison to their normal routine). With all the contradiction in people I gave up on strict definitions even in theory.

However to try to define things for this discussion my father refers to introverts as primarily concerned with the world inside their heads... that made a lot of sense to me. As an INTP I'm more concerned with how much sense things make to me rather than whether they work in the real world.

Conversely I've found in discussions with my INTJ friend that he's more concerned with the practicalities of an idea more than it's exact infrastructure and internal consistency.

Note I'm only postulating that this could be a good measure to Ti vs Te...
I like to put together a committe to get something done. "I'm in charge, Bob you are doing ......, Jane, would you prefer to do X or Y? Great, now lets get this done asap. Let's meet again on the 24th."
I'm not so commanding in that sense. I am often leading our social circle but more due to everyone else refusing to make a decision than any great desire to be centre stage.
I believe getting involved like that is what's missing in my life at the moment.
Quite possibly. Hell even if you're an introvert it could be that which is missing.. I know I've had more fun since I dropped the whole seclusion clause in my social contract :newwink:

deleted
The whole "analyzing, categorizing, etc" definition is largely from Berens, and that does sometimes become a distraction from the root meaning of the function. You also hear "subjective models and frameworks", as well as "underlying frameworks" of external objects.
What I think that is, is that because Ti works with a subjective conclusion or model, the analyzing is the result of trying to fit the object to that subjective model. Often when trying to remember something with multiple parts; I will look for parallels, or other logical groups to gather them into fewer, more easily memorable packets of data. The "ordering" or arranging is being done internally, in this case, and it sometimes can then be directed outward if I then make a table of it, or suggest the groupings to people. That would be Te backing up Ti, and I believe it is a common mistake of people seeing this process then label professing Ti types as Te users.

I also love four-way mirror symmetries, which would include personality matrices. That's what drew me into the subject. In the ancient temperament model, it was expressed (E/I) vs. responsive (people/task) behavior, yielding four basic types, with adjacent types sharing something in common. Add in moderate scales, you can have five or more. When discovering MBTI, I saw that they were divided, however unofficially, into the Keirseyan groupings, with a matrix of two factors that seemed totally unrelated to the ancient ones. (S/N and Cooperative/Pragmatic). I then analyzed the whole thing to find out how both systems correspond, and I came up with something that seems to at least roughly work, and Neuroticism fit in as an added bonus. (Though some thought the process of matching the two systems was Te; what I was doing in the end was identifying a common framework).

Because Ti delights in stuff like symmetries, users of it will be naturally drawn to stuff like personality matrices with a focus on the details and parts of it.

It almost sounds like you need to keep talking. Explain in depth if you can what definitions are made by these four factors, especially Te and Ti.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally, Te="Will it work?" and Ti="Is it correct?" Te determines correctness as well, but more in a sense of efficiency, while Ti is more about what's underlying.
You said "four factors, especially Te and Ti", what other two are you asking about? Fe and Fi? Or did you mean the temperament factors I had mentioned?

deleted

I doubt my description is worse than Athenians, especially since his isn't saying much. Internal rules or principles? I'm quite sure a principle can be an external rule. Any source can be given the same set of rules. There is no difference.

Your guys' definitions are good, but not the best.

Te - exercising your knowledge

Ti - gaining an understanding

One you usually do more than the other. Well developed Ti actually makes for the best analyst. Te is occasionally like troubleshooting.

Happens to be the best one so far, one of the few here which are applicable to the real world. I could not have put it any simpler.

Fe and Fi?

Yes I was referring to feeling as you mentioned cooperative.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Happens to be the best one so far, one of the few here which are applicable to the real world. I could not have put it any simpler.
-10 for giving your own post a compliment.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Te is Jesus and Ti is Satan.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
+10 for being right
+10 for actually explaining the differences
+10 for keeping the answer simple
+10 for ruling out contradictory explanations
You're incredibly wrong, but that never stopped you before. The closest you got to being right about anything was during plagiarism.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
+10 for using the correct type of logic to figure that out for us ;)

It's actually somewhat accurate if you consider Jesus to be FiNe and Satan to be SeTi. :D

But seriously, Te is like a bunch of flasks that hold the experiences and phenomena accumulated by Si and Ni. Ti is more like a process and structure. For me, all Je functions (Te and Fe) seem like they're balloons that are filled with something amorphous, while Ji functions tend to work by recombinating. Something like that. You have to remember that the functions are together the way they are because they serve a purpose for one another. The Ji functions are more heavy-duty "ordering" functions that depend on structuring many, many different perceptions that come from Pe. Je works more to transmit the Pi, which seems to be something more raw than isolated shape-form perceptions.

I think I'll stop now.

deleted
The closest you got to being right about anything was during plagiarism.

Oh yes I do remember that. You had to raise that topic a few times and I had to unravel your assumptions until you, in lack of dash, liberated yourself. Kudos on your closure. +10

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Oh yes I do remember that. You had to raise that topic a few times and I had to unravel your assumptions until you, in lack of dash, liberated yourself. Kudos on your closure.
History will judge us accordingly, lemons.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes I was referring to feeling as you mentioned cooperative.

Since Cooperative/Pragmatic follows the SJ/SP/NF/NT groupings, then for N, either F preference will be more cooperative, while T is more pragmatic. (For S's, it's J and P).

Otherwise, Fe is "what's appropriate" or "will it please", and Fi is "what's important" or "what's right".

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A bit of an obvious comment but it occurred to me as a brainwave none the less...

Te = TJ
Ti = TP

Compare and contrast xxTJs with xxTPs and you have Te vs Ti in actuality rather than in theory.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
A bit of an obvious comment but it occurred to me as a brainwave none the less...

Te = TJ
Ti = TP

Compare and contrast xxTJs with xxTPs and you have Te vs Ti in actuality rather than in theory.
That's the common failure, yes.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That's the common failure, yes.

A quick side note Jack, I'm beginning to think that it would be useful if certain predominant traits could be outlined for each type so that identification could be easier. It seems that a lot of the commonly accepted traits tend not to apply in many situations.

I'm guessing that's probably what the MBTI lot do for a job (in part) but surely we could have a stab at it too rather than this airy fairy function analysis stuff which, as we've discussed before, more often than not leads to more confusion instead of less.

Just a quick two cents..

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
A quick side note Jack, I'm beginning to think that it would be useful if certain predominant traits could be outlined for each type so that identification could be easier. It seems that a lot of the commonly accepted traits tend not to apply in many situations.
That's not a bad idea, only a daunting one.

I'm guessing that's probably what the MBTI lot do for a job (in part) but surely we could have a stab at it too rather than this airy fairy function analysis stuff which, as we've discussed before, more often than not leads to more confusion instead of less.
Quite. But of course, once you start identifying traits based on analysis, don't go and claim it's the function listed in MBTI order just because it's listed!

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
at the bottom line everything is mjust words and information. I failed to see the brain can seperate things into seperate functions, although i started a thread similar to this one before.

anyway if you really want a classification:

IXTP. IXTJ , INTX have alot of Ti tendencies
EXTJ (have alot of Te tendencies, PS some entjs are met on another forum scored high both on Te and Ti , i do not know how that happened)

EXXP ( alot of Pe tendencies , strong either in extroverted sensation and extroverted intuition)

Ti+Se also aims for praticality rather than abstract, as in the case of IStp, but it is much less dictatorial than Te manifesyted by ETJs