• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti/Te users: Explain the differences.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti vs Te

Does anyone want to try and define these to functions, the differences between them, and how they sometimes conflict?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see Te as more pragmatic and Ti as wanting to make sure it fits into the framework. The Te seems to look for the quick fix- what will solve the problem now. They take out the troubleshooting manual and follow what it says in there step by step. Ti is less likely to follow the algorithm in the manual and looks at the general principle something works and fits into a framework. Ti looks for a more generalized solution, one that can be more universally applied. Te seems quicker than Ti as a result, the algorithms may solve the problem, say 90% of the time but what about the 10% of the time when the algorithm doesn't apply. Ti investigates that 10%, trying to that into a 'framework' so that there is some more universal system for solving a problem.

I see myself as more of a Ti user than a Te user and I've gotten into conflicts with Te users over this.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti = categories and organization
Te = cause and effect and order

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*ponders this more*

Sometimes I just think that Ti is inwardly expressed thinking and Te is outwardly expressed thinking, and the same for Fi and Fe.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*ponders this more*

Sometimes I just think that Ti is inwardly expressed thinking and Te is outwardly expressed thinking, and the same for Fi and Fe.

Hmmm. Although that seems fairly accurate, Ti can stlill be expressive outwardly. And Te inwardly. The difference is more in the process rather than its expression. The method rather than the goal.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After reading this I can see why simulated is no longer with us.

He could really go off on tangents when discussing. Losing sight of the subject alltogether and just argue for the sake of argueing. :D

Even I once tried to entertain his discussions once, we actually managed to reach a consensus, but barely. :tongue:

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm. Although that seems fairly accurate, Ti can stlill be expressive outwardly. And Te inwardly. The difference is more in the process rather than its expression. The method rather than the goal.

Exactly. Ti expressed is concise, and especially easier to spot if you say something like...i ams a introvertd ti-er 2 lul. Te is :rules:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. Ti expressed is concise, and especially easier to spot if you say something like...i ams a introvertd ti-er 2 lul. Te is :rules:

I'm pretty big on Ne, but I don't follow. I'll just call it a win after reading the first sentence "Exactly.". :tongue:

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A gross oversimplification.

Try not to miss the forest for the trees.

Maybe in short, but yeah. Te is probably a bit more conceptual than Ti is, the Te person needs to do something (say a school project) and has to realize his own plan/schedule how he thinks it would be most effective. Anything that is not on the agenda/scale is dismissed (such as, if it is not done by -date-, then its no good. but there's always exceptions).

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Maybe in short, but yeah. Te is probably a bit more conceptual than Ti is, the Te person needs to do something (say a school project) and has to realize his own plan/schedule how he thinks it would be most effective. Anything that is not on the agenda/scale is dismissed (such as, if it is not done by -date-, then its no good. but there's always exceptions).

From Wikipedia:

Dominant: Extraverted thinking (Te)

Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence. [15]

Te is the most developed function for ENTJs. Te involves ordering, structuring, specifying, and applying logic to situations. ENTJs tend to be endowed with strong organizational and coordination skills. Te is also focused on performing a task in the most efficient and productive manner, which generally gives ENTJs the ability to direct and marshal their environment according to work-specific needs. Further, Te contributes to the ENTJs' ability to accumulate relevant data while analyzing that data for factual accuracies and impersonal applications.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wast just giving a nice worldly example, discobiscuit.

edit; i did say there are exceptions though. thank you for your nice wikipedia quote.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Wast just giving a nice worldly example, discobiscuit.

A worldly example that doesn't paint the rosiest picture of Te users.

I don't automatically dismiss anything that isn't on my agenda.

In fact I frequently work for and with others.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti solves a problem by sitting at home and logically inducing possible ideas until a system is formed or a conclusion is reached.

Te goes out and gathers information to form a system about how empirical reality works, and deduces a conclusion or forms a bigger picture about a system.

They can conflict because they don't always reflect each other.

If I were to ask Ti "Does a cat have a bum?", Ti asks itself what the definition of a cat is, and can infer whether a cat has a bum or not.

If I were to ask Te "Does a cat have a bum", Te goes out and finds an individual cat to test whether it has a bum, as not all cats have bums in reality.

Interesting, I don't really think I could reach a complete conclusion without using both. I first use Ti, then validate it with Te.

At first I thought I was INXP, and now I think I am INTX. My thought process is way more INTJ than INFP.

FoulcherDeChartres

Most people are missing the point because they round around the point and define functions contingently to other functions which is not true.
Sure functions are somewhat defined by the nature of their input but in case of MBTI, a function is defined by its core (how it processes data) and not by input and output sets.

So sentences like "Te is processing external/internal data" are crap.

Extroversion means "movement towards external world" (a world is an object...self can be either object or subject) .
So Te is at the same time a tendency to apply logic to an object and a function which takes reference outside self.

Te is so contextual IN ITS FUNCTIONNING (not in terms of data or something else...let the work done by perceiving functions) since it derives from external reference point.
Ti uses a SELF logic so there is not point to give concrete example since it depends on its user. 1+1=2 can be just that if self logic doesn't bother with it.
Te can also says 1+1 = 0...in the {{0,1}, X, +} set (does not know the english name of this set) because it is this set logic.

That is the same for "Te is utilitarist". This is again something else, personnal values in fact. Either way, no perception is truly objective concretely (we know what we see). Therefore, even Te can vary from people to people (i can think that mathematical logic applies for chosing an ice cream). So either Te or Ti can think the same for this example, the difference lies in Ti use its logic and Te uses the object logic (what he thinks is).

No need to say I am mainly a Te user.