• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Data collection for function development theory

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'd be really grateful if you could fill in this survey for me. :yes:

Type -
Gender -
Age (choose one) - under 20 / 20-30 / 31-50 / above 50

Describe the use of your inferior (4th function). Do you use it consciously? Unconsciously? Would you call it "problematic"?
INTJ/INFJ - Se
ISTJ/ISFJ - Ne
ENTJ/ESTJ - Fi
INTP/ISTP - Fe
ENFJ/ESFJ - Ti
INFP/ISFP - Te
ENTP/ENFP - Si
ESTP/ESFP - Ni

Describe the use of your senex/witch (6th function). Do you use it consciously? Unconsciously? Would you call it "problematic"?
INFJ/ISFJ - Fi
INTJ/ISTJ - Ti
ENFJ/ENTJ - Ne
ESFJ/ESTJ - Se
INFP/INTP - Ni
ISFP/ISTP - Si
ENFP/ESFP - Fe
ENTP/ESTP - Te

Describe the use of your Daemon (8th function). Do you use it consciously? Unconsciously? Would you call it "problematic"?
INTJ/INFJ - Si
ISTJ/ISFJ - Ni
ENTJ/ESTJ - Fe
INTP/ISTP - Fi
ENFJ/ESFJ - Te
INFP/ISFP - Ti
ENTP/ENFP - Se
ESTP/ESFP - Ne

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please :)

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice! I definitely find this one of the more interesting aspects of MBTI... how each type uses each process. I have a book I'd highly recommend (Amazon.com: Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code: Linda V. Berens, Dario Nardi: Books ) that explains how each type uses each of these processes, but I'd to hear it more first-hand. :D ... Disclaimer: This may be super long.

Type - ISTP
Gender - Female
Age (choose one) - 20-30

Describe the use of your inferior (4th function). Do you use it consciously? Unconsciously? Would you call it "problematic"?
INTP/ISTP - Fe: As I'm only 23, I'm still developing my Fe. I definitely aspire to be more this way, and as of now I have to make a conscious effort to use it. For example, my book says "adhering to socially prescribed roles and engaging in idle chitchat can be very taxing." Very true! I have to consciously force myself to engage in these things. As an introvert, I've noticed I don't know how to phrase things exactly the way I want to when I'm engaging in a serious conversation. Sometimes I illicit more negative responses than the positive I was hoping for when I do so. However, when I write letters to people trying to communicate what I want, I almost always get positive responses. In an e-mail, I can take the time to say the right words to make that person feel comfortable or influence them. When I see illogical emotional behavior, I'm stumped. I've gotten better over time though. When I use Fe in a more negative sense, however, it's very unconscious. For instance, sometimes I care very much about others' opinions of me ... sometimes I don't. Also, when I get very attached to people or my feelings hurt by others' opinions about me, I lose my ability to objectify things--something very key to how I function. While I aspire to develop this function more, using it negatively can be very problematic for me.

Describe the use of your senex/witch (6th function). Do you use it consciously? Unconsciously? Would you call it "problematic"?
ISFP/ISTP - Si: Like the Fe, I use Si both unconsciously and consciously. As most people do, my 6th function comes out when I'm being critical of someone. Thankfully, that is rare. When it does come out, I probably have a lot of resentment built up over time towards that person and don't feel like I communicated what I wanted to, and still feel very hurt by them. For instance, when I was having a rough time during my parents' divorce, I did not feel like my INTP bf of 3 years was very supportive of me. We've been friends for a while now, but it was definitely a point of contention after we broke up and were trying to figure out if we should stay friends. I would recall instances he did this or that and how I felt so hurt by it, etc, etc. He'd apologize profusely, but I was already in my "Critical Parent" function and I'd begin contradicting everything he said by recalling even the silliest thing he had said 2 years before. My book describes it as "They often prefer to not focus on the past but when stressed can become quite critical of past performances and overuse negative prior negative experiences to inform judgments." I've worked on this a lot, and have gotten better by addressing things sooner before they have time to build up resentment in me. Other times when I use it unconsciously, I'll be reminded of people I miss in my life or people that have hurt me. For instance, when I eat potato chips I instantly am reminded of how my dad (who I no longer have a good relationship with) loved plain potato chips. Although it can make me feel sad about certain things and regret certain actions, I would not really call this function problematic, because I feel more in control of it, especially as I grow older.

Describe the use of your Daemon (8th function). Do you use it consciously? Unconsciously? Would you call it "problematic"?
INTP/ISTP - Fi: This is tied with my 7th function (Ne) as my most problematic function. It is almost always unconscious. I know I use it, but it's very hard for me to pick out when I do. It comes out when I am -extremely- stressed about making a decision (one that usually involves a person). I can sometimes be slow in choosing what's important to me or misjudge the relative importance between things. When really stressed, I'll spend time on things that are my undoing. When I feel overwhelmingly hurt by someone, I will try push them away without even giving them a chance to explain or make amends (when I was younger, I'd succeed. Now, I try to give them a chance). Again, I'll use my parents' divorce as an example. I was feeling very vulnerable and I pushed several friends away when I was hurt by them, when I wouldn't normally do something like that over something silly. Later, I tried to push my INTP bf away when I felt unsupported by him. He pushed back hard enough to make amends with me so we were together for another year or so, and finally I snapped out of my Fi long enough to let him... because I finally realized I'd be completely lost if I pushed everyone close to me out, and he was pretty much the closest to me. So yes... a very problematic function for me indeed.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please :)
When stressed, the most problematic functions for me are Ne and Fi (my 7th and 8th function) because I almost always use them in unison. For instance, that happened with two different guys I was very close to in my life. I am at a point where I have wanted to be single and be independent of a relationship for the past few years, but I became very attached to these two regardless. Eventually, I'd get to the point where I couldn't make up whether I wanted to be with them, or if it was about time I walked away so I could be consistent with my principles (keep in mind, both times this happened when other stresses were going on in my life.) Now as an ISTP, I -need- to gather endless data to make a decision. When I was stuck, and didn't feel like I was getting any closer to a decision, I would -push- for it. I'd start asking inappropriate questions, and I'd start interpreting situations in ways that were atypical to me and attributing ill-will where there was none (Ne). I'd spend endless time weighing what was more important: them or my beliefs (Fi)? This would be a positive feedback cycle, because I would just get more and more overwhelmed by the decision, and use Ne and Fi even more... Ugh... when I finally snapped back to my objective self, it was always a huge relief.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Type - ISTJ
Gender - Male
Age (choose one) - 20-30

ISTJ - Ne:

For me, Ne is usually the 2nd to last function (in order of usage). It's pretty weak for me, and if I do use it, it's probably not in a useful or positive manner. I rarely relate concepts to one another and I can imagine things going wrong, which is obviously a negative thing. I would certainly call it problematic.

ISTJ - Ti:

I use Introverted Thinking fairly often actually, I think about things a lot. I'm not the most curious person, but I do try to break down things in my head, and I'm pretty decent at it. Ti ranges around my 3rd to 4th most used function. I would not call it problematic.

ISTJ - Ni:

This may sound childish, but I like this function a lot. I have this right at my 6th most used function, so I use it more than most ISTJs. I'm attracted to strange or paranormal concepts. Problematic? Not really.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please :)[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I have to get back to you on this one.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Type - INTJ
Gender - Female
Age (choose one) - under 20

INTJ/INFJ - Se: I usually have to use Se consciously, because I have a tendency to not notice physical details. This was one of the major roadblocks to my development of empathy when I was younger because I would fail to take in information such as body language and intonation when I was interacting with someone, and subsequently fail to understand that I had offended them (I would be trying to reason out how they "should" be responding with Te). With my Se now somewhat developed, I can use it in situations where I think it would be useful. My unfamiliarity with it still manifests itself when I need to observe my environment. For instance, I was sitting at a table with my family, and wanted to say something to my grandfather, craned my head around looking for where he was seated, and then realized that he was sitting right across the table from me. I had been generally looking in his direction throughout the meal, but hadn't even fully processed that he was there.

INTJ/ISTJ - Ti: Ti is somewhat challenging for me. I do have a hard time sometimes understanding systems from the inside out. It took me an unusually long time to learn to drive a manual transmission without stalling the engine (this is probably an interplay of Se and Ti) because I could not figure out the mechanisms that underlie the process. I could apply my knowledge of what the engine should sound like and what rpm I should be at to shift, but until I came to understand what was really occurring mechanically I was very uncomfortable driving. Also I have a hard time following long explanations, I want to know the "how" of the situation immediately. When someone tries to go through and explain things that I would normally just figure out with Ni-Te, I become very impatient and sometimes feel threatened, as though they are insinuating that I could not figure it out myself.

INTJ/INFJ - Si: Si relates to the measure of objects and to memory. Although my short term memory is good, especially for remembering data like numbers and word pairs, my ability to recall details long term is very underdeveloped. The fact that my Se is weak means I often fail to take in external information, therefore Si is very problematic for me because what little information I take in is often not retained. My perception of my own past is very muddled. For instance, as a child (from as far back as I remember to when I was 15) my family moved somewhat frequently, and I often did not live in one house for more than 1 year. Trying to remember where I was living at any given point is almost impossible and I have to try and reason it out. I have thought about asking my mother to make a timeline for me because it is sometimes very stressful not understanding things I feel I should remember. For this same reason I also keep about 100 notepad files of various thoughts, lists, details, and conversations because I won't remember them otherwise.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please
I find when I'm stressed that I often fall back on Te (2nd function), and become very rigid and dismissive. I also become irritated when people try to joke around with me, and Te them to death when they weren't trying to be logical, they were trying to be friendly and playful. Fe (7th function), rather than being actively harmful, just about completely disappears and I make no effort to keep in contact or partake in normal social rituals. During my senior year of high school, there was one week when I had to do 3 different presentations. I was very snappy and inconsiderate until I got them over with. Otherwise I am rarely under enough stress to significantly alter my behavior.

G

garbage

Type - ENTP
Gender - Male
Age (choose one) 20-30

ENTP/ENFP - Si

I pretty much have no Si, by any definition. I don't know how medication really affects me, I don't get prompted by hunger, I'm chronically "into the new" and dislike monotony, I have no memory, and I can't establish routine for myself. I sometimes view myself as undisciplined, despite being told that I'm not.

Fortunately, I've gotten myself into a position where I'm flexible enough to not need a routine, and I've got mechanisms in place to "take care of" my memory and certain details for me.

ENTP/ESTP - Te

Te's pretty easy.

picture.php

Te is cool, because it allows me to be lazy and be productive at the same time!

In a discussion amongst ENTPs, especially in the work environment, I'm usually the one to keep it on track and to the point.. that is, unless a brainstorming session is what we're after.

Although, I typically overestimate the time it takes me to do tasks. It doesn't get me into trouble, per se, but it hints at me doubting myself.

ENTP/ENFP - Se

I have very little attention to detail, and I'm not particularly good at sports, either. I'm adept at "becoming one with" a vehicle or machine, though.

Matters of sensing just usually don't concern me, but I definitely appreciate when others (such as my ISFP) can bring them out of me.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please :)[/QUOTE]

Probably Ne; despite the wonders that it does for me, it also contributes to analysis paralysis.

I want things to make sense before I do them, and I keep generating alternating possibilities quicker than I can analyze and quash them. "How do you know that it's not.. ?" and "But isn't that just like when.. ?" crop up way, way too much. I've typically doubted myself, very much. I've always been able to generate the "worst case scenario," but I no longer treat it as if it's inevitably going to happen.

If I get into a major disagreement with someone and I know that need to stand my ground, it's so hard for me to not see where I've been in a situation that I deem "pretty much exactly" like theirs through Ne. I empathize, and I know what they want from me.. but if it's not my place to provide it or if it's otherwise completely unfair to me, Ne tells me why I should be doing so.

Often, I just have to pick a course of action and go, despite how difficult it can be.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Type - ENFP
Gender - Female
Age (choose one) 31-50
(Why aren't there options 31-40, 41-50?)

ENTP/ENFP - Si
I don't use it much. It's too difficult and I'm lazy.

Lol, I have to quote greed here, I experience Si very simlarly and the quotation makes me :laugh: but it's so true.

ENTP/ENFP - Si

I pretty much have no Si, by any definition. I don't know how medication really affects me, I don't get prompted by hunger, I'm chronically "into the new" and dislike monotony, I have no memory, and I can't establish routine for myself. I sometimes view myself as undisciplined, despite being told that I'm not.

ENFP/ESFP - Fe
Yes, I use Fe a lot. I use it consciously and always when interacting with people. Fe comes pretty naturally to me.But my Fe useage stays in the shadow of my Fi. What I mean is that Fi is always stronger. So, I won't do things for people if the things needed are against my values. I'm not friends with people who act opposite to my values even if I would like that person otherwise.

ENTP/ENFP - Se
Se feel very familar to me and I use it to get feedback for my ever so hungry Ne. I use Se always when I bother to act physically. I mean I rather use Ne and the imagination. My Se is mostly connected with physical movement. I use it when dancing, that is probably the most Se I get, ever. It's my Se that feeds hungry Ne -flow. I love it. :wubbie: I use Se rarely when watching pretty things, like pink flowers. ;) I don't have problem with Se probably because I was reaised by Se dominant parent.

I don't really know. I become very moody, whatever function that is? :thinking:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Type - ENTP
Gender - Male
Age (choose one) - 20-30

I don't so much use it unconsciously in most cases as completely neglect to consult it at all. I'm so busy inventing new ways to do everything way outside the box that I sometimes miss the value in the stability of sticking to the tried and true. I tend to think tradition is a horrible reason to keep doing something the same way.

However, when I'm stressed or feeling otherwise insecure about my current Ne/Ti pet projects, I'll sometimes play old video games that I've beaten a million times, where I know every single nook and cranny and none of the puzzles are even remotely challenging, because it gives me the feeling of power associated with technical competence again and that makes me feel better...so I occasionally take comfort in the known.

Yes, it's pretty difficult for me to call upon the motivation to use it because my natural Je function is already tertiary and not naturally strong...pushing it into its superego Te form is something I have trouble doing often.

Yes, Se is absolutely a problematic function for me. One of my worst...it comes out when my Ne is overloaded and hasn't given Ti sufficient time to sort through its impressions, and I release this tension at times by binging on Se-style partying. It can make me rather irresponsible during trying times.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please.

Probably Ti, because it's so inwardly inflexible despite the outwardly flexible attitude I show toward others and my environment most of the time. It gets rather irritated with perceived logical inconsistency and will go to impractical lengths to preserve it at times...I'm sure if you try hard, you can think of an example. ;)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Type - ENTP
Gender - Chick
Age (choose one) - 20-30

ENTP/ENFP - Si

It's there and I recognise it but it certainly isn't always a big strength or even consistent. I have fairly good recall about things that are factual, particularly if they're work related plus I have good attention to detail and notice differences between what I'm seeing now and what has always existed in the past, but I'm not happy to rely on that too much as I do get it wrong, I can outwardly doubt my Si if I don't have Ne or Ti to back it up. Memory games were always a strength when I was younger. Basically if I make a point to notice details I will be able to recall them when needed.

ENTP/ESTP - Te

Wouldn't call it problematic or unconscious. It's not a comfort zone but I do aspire to be in positions of authority where responsibility for making decisions is required and an ability to take over and take charge and organise things is important. It clashes with my preference for leaving things open so I prefer to find a collaborative, less difinitive approach first but Te comes in when that is inappropriate or not working and doesn't require much effort.

ENTP/ENFP - Se

Almost anything I have that looks and feels or appears to be jump-to-action Se is Ne, I don't notice things, I really don't but at the same time I don't find it too much of a problem. I have a thrill-seeking, fun-loving action side that loves experiencing new things and appreciating them in the moment so I can appreciate Se and things like co-ordination for sports and such have never been a problem but when it comes to everyday things it's almost non-existent.

Under extreme stress a Fe/Si combination is what appears to get in my way. I can lose rational focus and just feel, I then recall things that have happened only without objectivity.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Thank you guys! I'll see if there are any patterns in there... I'll add my own for now.

Type - INFJ
Gender - female
Age (choose one) - 20-30

INTJ/INFJ - Se

For the most part I use Se consciously. I need to deliberately "turn it on" to really be aware of my surroundings. Once it's on I'm sensitive to changes, I doubt I'm as good as an Se dominant user though. Since my responses are slower. Strictly observing things wise, I can maintain my focus for a good while. Perhaps this has something to do with practice over time. But no, I don't have any problems with Se. I'm not one to overindulge when I'm stressed.

INFJ/ISFJ - Fi

I have a tendency to question myself when I'm depressed. It's mostly an unconscious thing where I ask about my personal values, what do things really mean to me, are they significant, and overall question my self worth. I've never been good at defining any of these but it doesn't stop the thoughts from cycling in my mind. So yes, it can be problematic at times.

INTJ/INFJ - Si

To put it simply I don't use Si much at all. My memory is a dodgy thing. Certainly I'm not good with dates, numbers and names. The precise details never seem to stay in my mind. All I recall seem to be the broad concepts. So I'm not sure whether this is Ni creating links or Si recalling information. Or both? Unconsciously, I don't think I berate myself over the things I've done in the past simply because the events don't readily come to mind. So Si is pretty much completely off the radar for me.

Fi usually rears its ugly head when I'm stressed out. Nothing I do seem to meet my standards. All my thoughts and values seem too inconsistent... too readily swayed by other people's opinions that I couldn't find something that's genuine about myself. It's usually Ti that keeps reminding me I'm being unreasonable and pull me away from that mood.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type - INtP
Gender - Female
Age (choose one) - 31-50

I was steeped in Fe from an early age due to family and religious influence; only when I was alone was I free to just be myself, yet even then i was acutely aware of Fe expectations projected onto me. I felt very much a ghost socially in that I wore the mask so well and played the game excellently, as playing the game meant that I had some freedom of autonomy (i.e., no one would constantly be harping at me or trying to dominate me and I could quietly "do my thing" if I otherwise didn't violate social code).

But my frustration with Fe still came out a great deal. ESFJs were frightening and anathema to me at the time; and my friends would tell you that I always I made it a point to talk about how rational and objective I was, compared to other people who were sullied by their emotions and personal values.

I eventually got over the latter part in my late 20's and early 30's; and while I grew to appreciate the value of community and social expectations, I finally broke out of the Fe trap in my late 30's by crossing the bridges I had been expected not to cross and having my old world burn them behind me. That freed me to not be a slave to Fe but to be its master, to use it to connect with others as well as to protect myself and bolster my own confidence as a human being among the human race.

As I told another member in PM this week, I do not see Fe in itself as "false" or "fake" -- it is a way of signalling one's intentions (positive OR negative) by a set of established social codes, and it can be used to create inclusion or exclusion. Immature Fe can be abused to either directly manipulate people or else undermine them behind their back (e.g., following code to a person's face while badmouthing them behind the scenes); but used well, it can create a sense of comraderie, connection, commitment, and constancy.

I can use it without much thought nowadays, although I'm aware of it as I'm doing it and can analyze it easily.

I actually have a very strong Ni. It always existed to some degree, expressing itself mostly as being able to (from an early age) intellectually empathize with others, establishing a mental model that I could proect myself into. nowadays I don't even consciously take that step to "create the sim world," I just automatically "see things" from the other viewpoint, it's like the world changes around me and I just "see it" with all the new rules of reality in place.

It became extremely important to me as a transformational tool, seeing who I "was" or "could become" and knowing how to get there by changing/removing/adding things inside myself to make a shift. I have always had a strong spiritual/psychological growth side and envisioned who I could become.

I'd say I use it pretty unconsciously and have been doing so for some time. it was only in the last five years or so where I could name it with its true name.

It actively caused some issues for me because it naturally undermines/voids specific frames of reference, such as Si or Ti, that I had made use of to establish hard rules for the universe. (Ni says, "Well, that's just ONE way of looking at things, what about....?")

Fi was always my bane, I couldn't trust it. People who mistake me as F (because of my strong Fe) and ability to emote on command really don't "get" how much it exhausts me or how alien Fi is to my way of thinking.

Fi has always been my "untrustable" function, it counters the sensibility of Ti. I have never been able to "assume" things about the world, I always had to derive truth from my environment -- a typical Ti+Ne approach. It's why I could never stick up for myself... i never found anything in my environment that told me I could do so, all I found was guilt and judgment because of the religious values that for a long time I saw as true (but further investigation proved to be ambiguous at best). The last 2-3 years of my life have demanded development of Fi and becoming aware of my values and learning how to believe and assert (without shame) that values that I cannot prove to others. Fi doesn't seem to have a problem with believing in its own values, but I still sometimes go through anxiety attacks; I feel like I am treading on thin ice and will fall through any moment. It is definitely a difficult function for me, and I've had to consciously use and tackle it... sometimes badly misusing it.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive? How come? Example please

My Fi skills have improved, so I'd say either Se or Te.

Se = Tendency to get caught up in "doing things" just for the sensation of being alive, and getting caught up in addictive patterns of behavior to avoid the harder discipined work I should be attempting. When I want something physical, I find it hard to say no on a long-term basis.

Te = Tendency to completely fall apart when I have too much coming at me and no logical prioritization. If Ti can figure out a "strategy," then I'm okay... but I'm really bad especially when dealing with overload at creating an "arbitrary" (to me) plan and just pushing through it, step by step. Not only is it hard for me, but I don't much like it either.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Type - INFP
Gender - Male
Age - under 20

Consciously and unconsciously. Not problematic, Te is amazing for me.

My Ni is just fine. It's unconscious but I know that it's there from introspection. It's just fine.

I tend to struggle with Ti. I only notice that it exists when I put a conscious effort into it. But yeah it's a struggle and it mentally exhausts me to get in touch with it.

When you're stressed out, which function appears the most maladaptive?

I don't honestly know.