• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The practicality of MBTI in real life

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
What is the usefulness of knowing this theory in real life? I think a major use is just to have knowledge of the different methods in which people think and act. What's your take?

Jaguar

You can't know how they think and act when you don't even know their real type.
Type is not about 4 letters, type is created by its function order.
I think MBTI is bullshit.
My function order doesn't even come close to an MBTI type,
yet I come out ENTJ all the time.
What am I supposed to do, pretend I don't have a strong Si or Se?

They're basing it all on my Te-Ni. Which Te and Ni are virtually equal.
Hell for that matter, I could say my Te, Ni and Si are all equal.
Then comes Ne which is pretty good too.
So do I have a typical ENTJ order?
Nope.

This is why MBTI is so unreliable to me.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can't know how they think and act when you don't even know their real type.
Type is not about 4 letters, type is created by its function order.
I think MBTI is bullshit.
My function order doesn't even come close to an MBTI type,
yet I come out ENTJ all the time.
What am I supposed to do, pretend I don't have a strong Si or Se?

They're basing it all on my Te-Ni. Which Te and Ni are virtually equal.
Hell for that matter, I could say my Te, Ni and Si are all equal.
Then comes Ne which is pretty good too.
So do I have a typical ENTJ order?
Nope.

This is why MBTI is so unreliable to me.

I suppose it is possible to have a Te = Ne = Si = Ni type, it'd be pretty screwed up, you'd run into strange impossibles and probably contradict yourself constantly. The chances of you running into anyone who has the same dilemma as you do are pretty slim, so MBTI is a bit more reliable. Plus you don't have to narrow someone all the way down to an exact type, you can gain useful information out of just knowing that someone is a feeler/judger/extrovert... whatever. You work out how to deal with introverts/extroverts, how to predict a T or Fs behavior with a good chance of being right, and when to not trust someone to get something done on time.

I think it's very useful. I even choose friends like that, lol.

Bad idea. Any type can make a good friend, keep your mind open.

^ You're 15 years old.

aint it cute? :hug: you're so age-ist, there is such thing as a smart 15 year old, not to mention, they have to learn somehow, why not teach the young-uns aye? :D

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright, ummm...

Introverts:
You can sort of guess that they wont want to come out partying after 9 hours of work, so when they answer no, you know not to force them or anything, and to respect their space.

Extroverts:
Need to explain things out aloud, so when they're trying to work something out, you know to be patient with their dribble talk

Intuitives:
Are often having sensotard moments, go easy on them for it. Are good at seeing patterns, so if you have a job that requires it, you can rely on them to do it well, enjoy theoretical work.

Sensors:
Are good at seeing hands on things, can often go into destructive mode when bored (more often for dominants, less often for auxiliaries), prefer not to trust theory (doesn't mean they can't use it or do it better)

Thinkers:
Will make their decisions primarily based on logic rather than the feelings of others. (doesn't mean that they are better at logic, just means that they naturally trust it more)

Feelers:
Vice verse. Are more likely to understand the emotional aspects of a problem and deal with it more effectively.

Judgers:
Do things consistently, you know you can trust them to turn up on time, and you would be best off trying to keep them in a judger like environment. Make quicker decisions without considering as much information as percievers.

Percievers:
Invite this type to your parties, especially EPs :D. Take their time when making decisions, the decision might possibly be made better that way.

Snow Turtle

The biggest practicality of MBTI is the awareness that people can operate in different manners. Even if MBTI itself is not fully accurate, it attempts to capture generalised ideas of how people think and act. It needn't be accurate to deliver the original message though.

Jaguar

I suppose it is possible to have a Te = Ne = Si = Ni type, it'd be pretty screwed up, you'd run into strange impossibles and probably contradict yourself constantly. The chances of you running into anyone who has the same dilemma as you do are pretty slim

Quite the contrary.
I come across people all the time with the same complaint about MBTI.

First of all, the order begins Te-Ni-Si, not Te-Ne.
Second, it's called synthesis, not contradiction.
For you not to know many people score in the center when it comes to S and N,
tells me you don't know much about MBTI results at all.
It's called balance.
When using percentages rather than functions,
I frequently score close to 50-50.

IMO, you actually have it backwards.
To be so extremely unbalanced from the center,
is like an overweight see-saw that just hit the ground.
Jung espoused the ability to use all functions.

Jungian analysts, Singer and Loomis, debunked MBTI years ago.
They proved any order is possible and there are literally thousands of types.
Only the most gullible would actually believe with almost 7 billion people,
there are only 16.

If you think any function order other than what MBTI tells you means something is "wrong,"
that tells me MBTI has brainwashed you pretty well.

Of all the functions, I see Ne and Ni repeatedly being well-developed in the same person. I'm no exception.
Again, you should already know this if you have seen a large number of results.

there is such thing as a smart 15 year old, not to mention, they have to learn somehow, why not teach the young-uns aye? :D

Sure there is. Disney Geek is 15. She's a great kid. :D

The other 15-year-old does nothing in this forum but behave like a spoiled little troll.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite the contrary.
I come across people all the time with the same complaint about MBTI.

First of all, the order begins Te-Ni-Si, not Te-Ne.
Second, it's called synthesis, not contradiction.
For you not to know many people score in the center when it comes to S and N,
tells me you don't know much about MBTI results at all.
It's called balance.
When using percentages rather than functions,
I frequently score close to 50-50.

IMO, you actually have it backwards.
To be so extremely unbalanced from the center,
is like an overweight see-saw that just hit the ground.
Jung espoused the ability to use all functions.

Jungian analysts, Singer and Loomis, debunked MBTI years ago.
They proved any order is possible and there are literally thousands of types.
Only the most gullible would actually believe with almost 7 billion people,
there are only 16.

If you think any function order other than what MBTI tells you means something is "wrong,"
that tells me MBTI has brainwashed you pretty well.

Of all the functions, I see Ne and Ni repeatedly being well-developed in the same person. I'm no exception.
Again, you should already know this if you have seen a large number of results.

It's quite normal for an EJ to be balanced on the N/S scale (according to socionics it is anyway), the reason is that Te/Fe is dominant, which means that the other functions have less influence and are more difficult to filter off.

Of course there are people out there with different variations, you'd have to be thick not to think that there are, there are also different levels of balance in the 16 types that are present, one ENTP could be incredibly different to another due to small difference in preference (and also due to non-MBTI related qualities, which there are quite a lot of), but there are more people out there with at least two functions that belong to a type, you can stand back, and identify the most distinct people of those types, you can approximate their types based on logical predictions and pair that with a quick check to see if it lines up with reality. It's not an entirely perfect system that caters for the 15 billion other types that exist out there, it's just a loose categorization. I suspect that a lot of people are placing to much importance on MBTI...

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here and asking a question.
So i have been looking at these letters people keep on talking about.
So for me apparently i am Fe, Si, Ne, Ti.

I just googled function order but i couldn't find out if the above is important and what exactly it mean.

Maybe i am having a blonde moment, is this something i should be looking at.

Would someone just tell me quickly if you have a moment, what this is about. Even better, give me a link so i can read it in my own time and preferably one that isn't overly complicated. Yes i know i am a pain in the ass, but there is nothing wrong in asking questions. :hug:

Right. I meant I know through the type you know which traits they may have so it's easier to find interesting people.

Oh darling, meet your potential new friends then type them after some time. A type that you may think you wouldn't usually get along with, well you may just surprise yourself. What do you have to lose anyway ;)

Snow Turtle

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here and asking a question.
So i have been looking at these letters people keep on talking about.
So for me apparently i am Fe, Si, Ne, Ti.

I just googled function order but i couldn't find out if the above is important and what exactly it mean.

Maybe i am having a blonde moment, is this something i should be looking at.

Would someone just tell me quickly if you have a moment, what this is about. Even better, give me a link so i can read it in my own time and preferably one that isn't overly complicated. Yes i know i am a pain in the ass, but there is nothing wrong in asking questions. :hug:

First apologies for the messiness - I've provided gaps to show how it works in linear order.

Here's a diagram showing the function orders for all.
http://www.lifewatch-eap.com/images/root/mbtitypechart2.jpg

A basic idea of what it all means.

Fe is dominant - This means you prefer and will most likely use it the most.

Si is secondary - This is second most prefered function. Si is an observing based function, so the information you pick up gets gets relayed to your first function to make decisions. It's why it's also known somewhat as a backup function.

For an ISFJ - According to theory: We are more likely to be focused on just collecting data (Si) as a dominant function, and not so much acting with it.

Right first two sorted out. MBTI claims that our weakest function would be the opposite of our strongest one. The opposite of Fe is Ti. That's the reason that Ti is shown in the last position there.

So now we have:

Fe Si [Missing Gap] Ti

To fill in that gap - It just does the opposite of Si (second function) which is Ne.

Theories claim that your third function is the one that you develop over time as you mature, and that it gets used when someone is faced with a problem but can't use their top two preffered functions.

Everybody uses all functions, however those are meant to be important ones according to MBTI theory. You'll find that people have varying orders though in real life - for most ESFJs it'll go something like this.

Fe - Number 1! YEAH!
Si - Number 2 - Sidekick.

Ne - Anywhere between number 3-7, more likely to be around 4-6.

Ti - Should be position 8th, however it can vary so we'll go with 7-8.

Fi, Se, Ni and Te is scattered within number 3 and 7 and will vary depending on the person and their upbringing etc.

There we go :)

Here's a basic description of all the functions and what they are meant to be like:
Using the Eight Functions to Prepare and Give MBTI
However it might be useful to look around threads here to get it from a more personal perspective.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
For an ISFJ - According to theory: We are more likely to be focused on just collecting data (Si) as a dominant function, and not so much acting with it.

But for an ISFJ, aren't you using Si with Fe? So you do have some use for the primary Si. Like for an ISTJ, we use Si with Te, so we do act with the Si.

Right first two sorted out. MBTI claims that our weakest function would be the opposite of our strongest one. The opposite of Fe is Ti. That's the reason that Ti is shown in the last position there.

But isn't Te the opposite of Fe? That's why those with primary Fe have 8th-place Te?

Theories claim that your third function is the one that you develop over time as you mature, and that it gets used when someone is faced with a problem but can't use their top two preffered functions.

But what if you have a strange order of functions, like..

Fe > Ti > Fi

Will this person use Fe with Ti? And will Fi still be used as the third function when Fe and Ti don't work (even though this is not the conventional function order)? Thanks.

Snow Turtle

But for an ISFJ, aren't you using Si with Fe? So you do have some use for the primary Si. Like for an ISTJ, we use Si with Te, so we do act with the Si.

The Si collects data to be used by the Fe. Therefore I am using information to act, however it's not the primary focus. It's the reason that there are also claims that ISJs are more focused on building their internal world, where ESJs more focused on creating their external world.

But isn't Te the opposite of Fe? That's why those with primary Fe have 8th-place Te?

Nope. The reversal of extraverted feeling is introverted thinking.

But what if you have a strange order of functions, like..

Fe > Ti > Fi

Will this person use Fe with Ti? And will Fi still be used as the third function when Fe and Ti don't work (even though this is not the conventional function order)? Thanks.

You're unlikely to find someone that has that function order set up. There should be a perceiving function within there somewhere. Throw in an extra Si and that order actually describes me perfectly. My function order:

Si > Fe = Ti > Fi > Ni = Te > Se > Ne

It's not going to be accurate since it's only an estimate but that order describes me rather well. By observing someone elses function order, you can actually learn alot. The difference in preference actually gives alot of information on how someone acts, this is of course assuming that the individual has guessed their order reasonably correct.

Usually in most case the first two functions will be assigned to a perceiving function, and a judgement function. Afterwards it's open game for the rest to kick in. Personally I don't know whether it's true that a person will move to their tertiary function if the dominant and auxillary fail. Nobody knows for sure, it's just what theory says. I'm more inclined to think that people don't really stop using their functions, they just look to other functions to help with their existing preferences. A combination leading to more insight.

Just have a look at the function thread:
You'll get a few odd cases but most people this basic open plan pattern. There's also the issue of determining function order whether it's based on preference or usage.

G

garbage

I just treat MBTI categories like fuzzy sets. That pretty much resolves most of the gripes that I'd have about it otherwise.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Above all, it has been useful for self-development for me. It also provided this necessary sense of belonging that I needed when I first learned about it.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Kai ... :hug:

You are an absolute sweetheart for taking the time to explain that. Thank you ever so much, it is appreciated.

I'll take a look at the website and hopefully it will click in place.