• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJs given an unfair advantage in public schools?

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I was thinking today about what personality type would do the best in school and I had this idea that INTJ would do the best because the teaching system is slanted towards that. Think about it, introverts who can easily understand abstraction and theory who will diligently spend time outside of class working on their homework which will probably include an abstract essay or reading of theory.

I lived with an INTJ for 6 years and we both went to college. He seemed to be able to do the same work as me with ease in about half the time, while I was pulling my hair out trying to get through it all. So that got me thinking about something else, do you supposed that if you conducted a survey, that you would find ESFPs do the worst in school and INTJs do the best? And what would a school system look like that was advantageous to an ESFP? For example, I imagine economics would be taught showing movies about historical examples of human events. Maybe hands on activities with human interaction would be used. I went to elementary school in the montessori system. Maybe that system is more suited to an ESFP.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I thought there was a huge thread about schools being geared toward SJs... a fact which seems more plausible to me.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I think it really depends on the school system and what is required curriculum, but mostly, I think it would be more of an SJ thing, especially ISJs. IT really depends on how the teacher teaches and how the teacher views their career and the students' willingness to learn, not type.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well I got beat up in like every class for my ability to abstract. Our school system can be quite boring for intuitive types, leading to the fact that they suck at school. But you can hardly have it any other way, if you want everyone to pass the final exams.

That'ld be like peeing on your own rug

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
why is it like peeing on your own rug, lol???

Eowyn

MBTI Type
ESfP
Enneagram
My husband is an INTJ, and he is a public school teacher. :laugh: This does not surprise me. However, I will say that he has clear interest in teaching his students in the way they best learn, although he does have a hard time understanding *why* a particular learning style may work for them.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
My INTJ friend is a billion times smarter than me, but I've done way better in school than he did/does, even though I'm a horrible procrastinator and I have to be in the right mood to study certain subjects. The INTJ's learning capacity has always been so far above what he was being taught in school that he was bored out of his mind. He dropped out of college later for the same reason, and is now trying again at another school.

I also have two ESFP friends whose grades were at the top of their classes. Neither of them really liked school, but they had the determination and diligence to do what needed to be done.

I agree with Skyward that it depends on the curriculum, the teaching style, and the individual students.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
The answer to the question "Which type is school geared towards?" would depend largely on how "success" in school is gauged. (and, as mentioned, the curriculum and teaching style) If an INTJ gauges success based on how well they understand the curriculum or by the grades they receive, then it could be said that they succeeded. (assuming both of these goals were achieved, of course)

However, if a rather social extrovert gauged their success based on how likable they were considered to be by staff, faculty, and the student body it could also be said that they succeeded. (provided, of course, that they were considered likable)

G

garbage

Learn how to use your "disadvantages" to your own "unfair advantage."

That, or find an educational path that plays to your strengths.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you are talking about the classroom, then the teaching style of the teacher can have a big effect on the students' ability to learn. However I would agree that textbooks are written with INTJ's in mind. That is, I would think a course without an instructor (like an online course) would be easiest for an INTJ compared to other types.

On the other hand I think most curricula tend to marginalize SP's. SP's tend to favor a hands on learning style which most curricula ignore.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well INTJs are the manipulators of systems and school is a system like any other so does it really suprise you that INTJs get good grades.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Maybe in school, but the workplace favors ESTJs.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
i think school is written for and by sensors (especially SJs as theyre drawn to organization n such), like almost everything else because they're the majoity. the intj i knew in highscool was bored brainless and was an underachiever (although not a poor achiever). i also think Js have an advantage over Ps. E vs I is debatable. Es will be happier in the classroom (for me its hell and one of the worst possible learning environments) but Is might find it easier to study as its a solitary exercise... usually -- Es can have group studies buts its not for every E as the discrepancies in the intellect and understanding of each group member can drain the energy of anyone. Is may also be more prone to depression. i think anyone who isn't an ES struggles a bit with the rest of society. where was i going with this? oh yeah, the esfp is probably destined to underahcieve in school (yet have a good time due to the high social contact world of high school), so to answer your question, intjs probably do have an advantage over esfps when it comes to scoring grades.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
I will totally agree with you on that. Especially white collar office jobs. Makes me SICK! :)

just get an intp to punch them in the groin. i almsot always get into nasty rivalrys with estjs.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The stories my ex used to tell me about his schooling experience used to make me chuckle. He always used to say he was knowledgeable and not smart as if he was, he would of stayed in school and got a good education.

I suppose if you are smarter than your teacher you are immediately at a disadvantage and your teacher is going to rather peeved at you for it. Afterall, who is teaching who at that point.

I think though you can turn the tables. If i was a teacher (never) and i had a smart INTJ student, i would look at possibly opening the mind more during free time. I would have intellectual debates with him/her instead of feeling inferior.

Hmmm.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
School is geared towards the ESTJ at the basic level. Regular dificulty classes have groupwork, and just require the students to digest the textbook. The teachers also require organization, which the ESTJ's often excell at. Finally, the mathematics requires structure and logic, which ESTJ's I know have a lot of, meaning that the basic level education is for ESTJ's. The honors and AP levels were pretty much invented for INTP's and INTJ's.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IMO, schools "favour"

J>P
S>N if J, N>S (somewhat) if P
E>I