• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please tell me how it feels like to use your primary functions in everyday life

G

garbage

Here's how Ne might look in action, rather than looking at the internal thought process.

Right now, I have my email inbox, a chat window, this forum, a forum for one of my classes, an essay, a personal project, and a project for work all open and active at once. Of course, music is going, too, but that's in the background.

I'll dart over to an email reply that I'm writing and belt out a few sentences. I'll come back to this forum and read a few posts, or maybe some half-posts. A few seconds later, I'll be over at the chat window, looking for any activity. I go back and look at the email I'm writing.

In writing the email, I have put down a few key words that I wish to elaborate upon--"experience," "goal," "support," "tagging along," "thanks." These are reminders--a rough outline that I intend to fill out and organize, because I know I'd forget each one of the major points if I didn't get them out there. As I elaborate on one point, I stop mid-sentence because something occurred to me on another point, so I go to elaborate on it. This process, along with interruptions belonging to other processes, continues until I've got my email.

As I write this reply, I stop halfway through a sentence and make some alterations to the very first sentence; it somehow came to me that one major difference in this post is that it explains how I act as a result of Ne. So I make that point, then quickly resume where I was. This all comes instinctively, without even thinking about it.

Midway through another sentence, some song comes on that I'm not particularly fond of, so a quick alt+tab to my music server window and a quick keypress, and it's done and over with. I go back and finish that other sentence.

I'm not so sporadic when other people are involved, because I know they wouldn't follow me exactly. But, when left to my own devices, this is my default mode of operation.

And, despite how all of this sounds, I'm pretty productive. I just tackle multiple things at once when striving for productivity.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's how Ne might look in action, rather than looking at the internal thought process.

Right now, I have my email inbox, a chat window, this forum, a forum for one of my classes, an essay, a personal project, and a project for work all open and active at once. Of course, music is going, too, but that's in the background.

I'll dart over to an email reply that I'm writing and belt out a few sentences. I'll come back to this forum and read a few posts, or maybe some half-posts. A few seconds later, I'll be over at the chat window, looking for any activity. I go back and look at the email I'm writing.

In writing the email, I have put down a few key words that I wish to elaborate upon--"experience," "goal," "support," "tagging along," "thanks." These are reminders--a rough outline that I intend to fill out and organize, because I know I'd forget each one of the major points if I didn't get them out there. As I elaborate on one point, I stop mid-sentence because something occurred to me on another point, so I go to elaborate on it. This process, along with interruptions belonging to other processes, continues until I've got my email.

As I write this reply, I stop halfway through a sentence and make some alterations to the very first sentence; it somehow came to me that one major difference in this post is that it explains how I act as a result of Ne. So I make that point, then quickly resume where I was. This all comes instinctively, without even thinking about it.

Midway through another sentence, some song comes on that I'm not particularly fond of, so a quick alt+tab to my music server window and a quick keypress, and it's done and over with. I go back and finish that other sentence.

I'm not so sporadic when other people are involved, because I know they wouldn't follow me exactly. But, when left to my own devices, this is my default mode of operation.

And, despite how all of this sounds, I'm pretty productive. I just tackle multiple things at once when striving for productivity.

Yea, I noticed this as another difference between esfp and enfp. I'm normally pretty one track mind. Usually totally engaged in one thing at a time. I might get busy, but. Finish one thing. Move onto the other. If I was writing that paper, I would write an outline- finish the outline. Maybe come post on here as a break. Go back to the paper. Elaborate a full point or 2. Flesh it out. Drink an entire cup of coffee. Singing the song thats playing. Possibly playing it a few times. There would be no halves or partials. Take this post for instance. I will write the whole thing and post it. Then I will go back and reread, editing along the way, and repost. Everything is complete and i'm focused on one or 2 things only.

(Plz no comments about not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time. Thanks ahead of time :) )

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Great thread first of all. A few ways this works for me:

Si -

I notice details in things and events in daily life, and my mind keeps a record of it. It also stores my feelings/thoughts during the event. When I go back to do the event the next day or something, before I do it, I relate it to the experience I had during the event the time(s) before. That's why sometimes I have trouble with doing tasks that I had a negative experience with before. Because the Si lingers. However, this can be very good too, because I use the experiences I learned in the past to improve experiences and get better at things, and sometimes the Fi pushes me to get tough it out. And if I had a positive experience, I go enthusiastically into it next time.

Also, if there is a lingering issue/problem, I keep track of it over time and experiment by changing certain things and comparing the results after the changes. I notice the difference in the results, and adjust accordingly. In addition, I remember the most random facts that no one would ever think of.

Si/Te -

Creating organizers/spreadsheets/databases to keep a record of things through time. I mentioned before that if I have a lingering issue/problem, I keep track of it over time and experiment with changes. I sometimes keep track of the results in an organized way, this is where the Te helps my Si.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if this is Ne or just my ADD (same thing?).

Using Ne is like having a constant cloud behind my eyes, that makes me drift off into la la land. I can still function fine while "drifting" though, it isn't the same as daydreaming. A good example: When I teach, I drift off into thinking about what I am saying from the student's and other's perspectives, while at the same time keeping in mind future problems that may occur with the solution I am trying to point them towards. All of this is done while keeping my explanation / lecture steady and smooth.

Sometimes it takes the form of a huge impulse to say some random awesome thing that I just thought of, usually comical in nature. For example: When I had my group for my job (I teach programming to kids), I started drifting away while the other teacher was talking, and through a series of random thoughts decided they were bored and HAD to play this random game I thought of right then and there. I cut off the other teacher mid-sentence, and yelled "OK GUYS! I can tell we're all getting tired, so we're gonna play a game that's only gonna take 10 seconds. Why? Because you only HAVE 10 seconds to do it!". I told them to go around the group, and they would each have two seconds to say the absolute coolest thing they could think of, and I would award the winner. The winner ended up being Billy Mays :D.

Ne also helps me incredibly in problem solving, since I (almost by force) think of all possible outcomes (even the oddest ones) of a method. I can prevent many future disasters in this way, and also scan for other solutions that can be sparked by really odd things.

I don't know if this helped at all.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ne for me...it's like a constant need to be stimulated...to see new things and have new thoughts...not really wanting to repeat the same experience....like an addict needing a fix...i must be passionate about something...i must have projects to study about and if i don't i'll make one out of nothing by changing something old into something completely new...being idle is like death...brain must be working things out...solving problems or creating something at all times...i always notice all the lil quirky details...things that are out of order...or skewed from normal perception...i'm endlessly amused by people and all their strange habits and am in a near constant state of excitement because of all these thoughts swirling about that i can't wait to put in practice...and i don't blame ya a bit if reading that wore ya out...i sound like a hyper lil nut job kinda...but i'm not. :shock:

eta: okay maybe that was a bit dramatic...i'm not really like an addict.. i just mean...it's a constant desire and normal operating mode to go searching for ways to see and do things differently or come up with new ideas or discover new truths by connecting all the dots...or...something.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
It feels good, although people tend to disagree with my way most of the time.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I <3 this thread with all the contrasts.

Some INTPs do that too. I work like that, although not quite to the same degree. When I'm home, I've usually got 10-20 tabs open, and several half-written posts (some of which I delete without posting). I rarely write a post in one go, I'm always switching between tabs etc.

It feels good, although people tend to disagree with my way most of the time.

Wanna expand on that?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure how typical my version of Ti is, but anyway...

Ti

Ti is building up a huge mental model of the world around me inside my head. The mental model is more real to me than the external world. Information comes in and automatically gets checked against what is already known and slotted in if it fits somewhere.

Sometimes a new piece of information or a new idea requires some parts of the model to be pulled down and rebuilt. Analogy: think of a three dimensional jigsaw puzzle where pieces are continually being slotted in where they fit, but if you get a piece that doesn't fit in anywhere but obviously needs to go in the puzzle, some of the existing pieces are pulled out and rearranged to fit the new piece in. The connections between the pieces are the most important part of the mental model.

It's what I live for, basically.

That is... beyond weird. A few weeks ago I described Ti to my ENFP friend (who describes his Ne like a spider web): "Imagine you have to solve one puzzle, but all the pieces are mixed in with the pieces of other puzzles. I simultaneously throw pieces out that I -know- don't go while pulling out pieces I suspect go together and try to begin arranging them. As I go further and further along, I have a bigger picture to work with, and thus am more confident when I throw out pieces and keep pieces, and fit more pieces together. Basically when I'm trying to figure something out, I have no interest (at the time being) for pieces of data I find irrelevant to the problem at hand, and constantly try to fit what pieces of data I think fit together so that I can completely and entirely make sense of something."

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh I might also want to add: I like following train of thoughts until I find some sort of inconsistency, then I'll go back to looking for more information. Using the puzzle analogy, if I notice I have a few pieces on my board that go together, I'll keep putting them together until I dead-end. Once that happens, I'll go back to my draw pile and keep looking until I find another train of thought.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'm actually having trouble describing Ni..... It's like a lucid dream I guess. Day dreaming.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh I might also want to add: I like following train of thoughts until I find some sort of inconsistency, then I'll go back to looking for more information. Using the puzzle analogy, if I notice I have a few pieces on my board that go together, I'll keep putting them together until I dead-end. Once that happens, I'll go back to my draw pile and keep looking until I find another train of thought.

That reminds me. These Links are probably the best descriptions of cognitive functions I know of. they are great

Fundamental Nature of the MBTI
How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

btw, what are you holding ?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Ok I'm going start an attempt to describe my Fi, and that in itself is a hurdle because Fi makes me very private, going about interactions with people (especially new people) I reveal only what is neccessary about myself. It is almost as if, when I share something personal it becomes less authentic and meaningful, as if I can't do it justice with words. Fi isn't something I'm always concious of, it operates in the background and when I notice it the most is when my usual easy going nature comes screeching to a halt, I know then that something has triggered that underlying system and it's just like a big neon sign flashing "WRONG!". There is just that line that I will not cross and I will be uncharacteristically stubborn about it, I just won't budge. My Fi is most obvious when I came across herd-mentality where people insist on others being a certain way without good reason, that's when I will dig my heals in.

When everything is right, Fi feels like an underlying sense of wellbeing and peace, it's a source of strength and resolve to do the right thing and be true to myself. It gives me an inner resilience to whatever is going on outside, I think it is powerful in terms of self control.

My Fi also means that I have an underlying feeling of compassion and a desire for understanding towards people and animals, I naturally want to forgive their bad sides and emphasise the good in all of them. Even with the most horrific criminals before I judge them I want to understand what could drive them to do such things.

Se is much easier for me to discuss, Se to me is just being absorbed in the physical world, I cherish my senses. I always desire experience, when I see a beautiful sunset I want to just draw every detail in, it's not like I am storing those details, I'm just experiencing them, this means that my desire for sensory experience is pretty much endless. I love the ocean, I love the smell of the salt air, the feel of the sun on my skin, the sight of the beautiful blues, the crashing of the waves, I just want to absorb it all, soak it all in, it's like taking a deep breath of fresh air after holding my breath for a long time. I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world and I cannot describe the euphoria I feel when I see some of the natural wonders we have; a pod of orcas, a mother whale and her calf, a meatball of baitfish being harried by a school of deep green kingfish, these things leave me breathless and wanting more. These things don't even have to be significant, even just absorbing sensory details that others would consider mundane gives me a sense of satisfaction and wellbeing.

Se gives me a contentedness with the present, it's like on Kungfu Panda; "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." It's corny I know but that is pretty much my philosophy.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
That reminds me. These Links are probably the best descriptions of cognitive functions I know of. they are great

Fundamental Nature of the MBTI
How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

btw, what are you holding ?

That was pretty informative, and dude can you put on a shirt? I don't see a block pic function anywhere...

I guess my lucid dream explanation was fairly accurate though, it's really hard to explain something of such an abstract nature.

In the very end it pretty much says we have no control over how we percieve reality? Our personality is supporting some preexisting matrix. hmmmmm

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
For those interested in Ni I recommend this thread.

What non NJs think about Ni?

Read my posts in that thread since they are the one that are trying to describe it. Since a few Ni-doms can relate with my posts I presume that I have managed to get it at least somewhat right. Ni is the most "vague" function so describing it is hard.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is... beyond weird. A few weeks ago I described Ti to my ENFP friend (who describes his Ne like a spider web): "Imagine you have to solve one puzzle, but all the pieces are mixed in with the pieces of other puzzles. I simultaneously throw pieces out that I -know- don't go while pulling out pieces I suspect go together and try to begin arranging them. As I go further and further along, I have a bigger picture to work with, and thus am more confident when I throw out pieces and keep pieces, and fit more pieces together. Basically when I'm trying to figure something out, I have no interest (at the time being) for pieces of data I find irrelevant to the problem at hand, and constantly try to fit what pieces of data I think fit together so that I can completely and entirely make sense of something."

I think that what you're describing here is Ti-Ni for ISTPs. Cool!

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that what you're describing here is Ti-Ni for ISTPs. Cool!

Haha, probably right. I was just trying to think of a way to describe what I do most... So I guess I use Ni more than I thought?