• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Heredity

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
i actually went over that study some time ago. for some reason i'd rather trust what i read in books, but that's just silly i guess :rolleyes:

This is another one of those data problems... it is correct to say that if you take a random N and a random S, the N is very likely to be smarter than the S. However, if you take a random smart person, they are not significantly more likely to be a N than a S (about 50/50, despite the 30/70 mix).

yes exactly. i guess we just focused on different ends of the study.

ah - the brivety of intelligent conversation :D

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
i actually went over that study some time ago. for some reason i'd rather trust what i read in books, but that's just silly i guess :rolleyes:

Heh heh, well... it's easier to prove a connection than not a connection. If you have the reference that showed no correlation I'd be interested in seeing it. I'd find that unusual due to the strength of the report...

The other thing to check is if your reference used a g loaded test. A lot of older or non-validated tests aren't and may test other things (normally meaning it would relate to J/C+)

yes exactly. i guess we just focused on different ends of the study.

ah - the brivety of intelligent conversation :D

:D It all depends on how you read it. I'd say it is incorrect to say that N isn't related to IQ since it has a fairly dramatic effect (or O+ if you prefer more robust research)... but I think it is equally incorrect to say that Ns are smarter than Ss. The relationship is just very different.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What are these "facets" the text in your posts refers to? e.g. "contientiousness facet".

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Big Five personality traits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sample Conscientiousness items
I am always prepared.
I am exacting in my work.
I follow a schedule.
I get chores done right away.
I like order.
I pay attention to details.
I leave my belongings around. (reversed)
I make a mess of things. (reversed)
I often forget to put things back in their proper place. (reversed)
I shirk my duties. (reversed) [2]

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
What are these "facets" the text in your posts refers to? e.g. "contientiousness facet".

More or less interchangable with trait and sub-trait. In that case, referring to the sub-traits that make up the contientiousness trait. (ie: order, duty, discipline...)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It also seems to me that ethnocentric behavior would better correlate to Low Agreeableness.

Most of the questions in the Openness grouping don't necessarily refer very much to ethnocentrism, but more to common vs. unique interests.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
My parents are INTJ & ENFP, and my brother and I are INFJ and ENTP respectively. Weird that it seems genetic like that. I'm sure there are other factors involved, though, so don't take it as a formula.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has there been any observation made on predictability of a child's type based on the parents' types? Or is it kind of random? Not that I plan to have kids any time soon, but what would you expect from an ISTJ and an INFP?

My Dad is ESTJ, and I am ESTP.

My Mom is most likely ISFP.

My brother is INTJ.

My wife is INFJ.

My kids are too young to test.

Thoughts?