• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Differences between ENFP and ENTP

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I posted this elsewhere and would like input from ENFPs and ENTPs cause it's all conjecture.

What would you say are the differences between you and the other type? What do you/don’t you relate from the points below? What other consistent points of difference do you see.

An ENFP can be very sensitive and easily discouraged by other people.
As an ENTP its damn near impossible to offend, upset or discourage me.

An ENFP needs to be in contact with people and influence them in a positive way.
As an ENTP I like people but mostly I just want to study them to figure out the human condition.

An ENFP could freely offer both sympathy and empathy but would find sympathy easier.
As an ENTP I'm uncomfortable with sympathy but can offer empathy.

An ENFP would be more excited about meeting new people.
As an ENTP I’m more excited about new ideas.

An ENFP wants to feel loved and supported.
As an ENTP I want to feel respected and admired.

An ENFP sees things as right vs wrong and ethical vs unethical.
As an ENTP I see things as correct vs incorrect and logical vs illogical.

An ENFP can be quite expressive.
As an ENTP I can be less expressive.

An ENFP is more likely to adapt their emotional expressions to those they’re interacting with.
As an ENTP I’m more likely to mirror emotional expressions.

An ENFP likes to resonate with what someone else is saying and is more likely to argue using persuasion.
As an ENTP debating is sport and I have no problems switching sides, I’m more likely use facts.

An ENFP would have strong ethics.
As an ENTP many of mine are bendable.

... then I got bored, we both do that.​

I know there's an ENTP vs ENFP thread floating around but it seems the fluff vs content ratio is about 17:1, I'm all for fluff but old fluff is boring, so y'all get a new thread.

Last edited:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just my two cents as an ENFP:

True somewhat, though we easily bounce back as well :)

An ENFP needs to be in contact with people and influence them in a positive way.
As an ENTP I like people but mostly I just want to study them to figure out the human condition

Actually, I dunno about other ENFPs, but I love studying people as well. I just think our approach to that is different than that of an ENTPs. The influencing in a positive way is a bonusfeature really.

An ENFP would find it easy to offer sympathy.
As an ENTP I'm capable of empathy, not sympathy.

I'd say we're capable of both, if the ENFP learns how to step back a little when dealing with strong emotions.

Not so much meeting new people, but hearing their views on the world, and figuring out why it works the way it does for them.

Hehe, I wouldn't mind respect and admiration either, but yes, love and support is more important to me.

Weeeeelll.... I personally see everything in shades of grey, except for a small inner core, which is very black and white, yes.

Question: what's your method of determining correct vs incorrect, coz that in its own way is very black and white too.

Seriously depends on how extraverted your ENFP and ENTP is, so nope. We're just expressive in a different way.

An ENFP is more likely to adapt their emotional expressions to those they’re interacting with.

Often the correct response is mirroring, ime. Of course, in some cases, that's...not as beneficial, like when people are frustrated or angry with you. Hard not to mirror at that time too though...even for NFs, I think.

An ENFP likes to resonate with what someone else is saying and is more likely to argue using persuasion.
As an ENTP debating is sport and I have no problems switching sides, I’m more likely use facts.

I have no problem seeing both sides of the argument either. But it is easier for me when I'm not a 'contestant' as such, but the mediator. I can see where both sides are coming from and why they would the way they do. However, to me it is indeed not a sport, as I only engage in this to solve conflict, not for fun. And yes, if I'm invested in the argument, although I'll still be able to see the other sides point of view, I definitely will not switch sides.

agreed.

... then I got bored, we both do that.

yup.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
ENFP would listen to everyone
ENTP would only listen to someone they have respect for

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I posted this elsewhere and would like input from ENFPs and ENTPs cause it's all conjecture.

Most fun ideas are just conjecture until critical mass gathers around them and they are backed by testing through observation :smile:

What would you say are the differences between you and the other type? What do you/don’t you relate from the points below? What other consistent points of difference do you see.

I am only offended or discouraged by people I deem important. I am definitely affected by these people whose opinion I value but not by everyone.

As an ENTP I like people but mostly I just want to study them to figure out the human condition.

This above sounds more like the INFP - healer types than ENFPs. For us, people, their behaviors, their attitudes are really just fascinating and data points towards understanding the human condition as well. I think ENFPs and ENTPs are likely more interested in different aspects of the human condition. ENTP concerns seem to be focused on pragmatic concerns like how to reduce the incidence of crime, illnesses, other ills that plague humanity. As ENFPs, we may be more concerned with the internal functioning of humans and what can be done to help people lead more satisfying lives. More conjecture?

I wonder if you have them confused here or maybe I do? Sympathy is feeling bad for someone else's misfortune whereas empathy is being able to put yourself in their shoes and feel their misfortune.

Fi seems more related to empathy and Fe to sympathy since Fi means internalizing the pain to really understand it from the person's perspective.

Do ENTPs find it easy to put themselves in other people's shoes and feel what the other person is feeling?

At my end, I find sympathy easier and empathy harder but I'm not sure how that plays into the broader differences and my own struggle with ENXPness.

I'm not sure this is quite as clear -cut here. ENFPs seem excited about people who bring with them new ideas or sharing ideas with new people. The difference may be in how much emphasis is laid on the people themselves. ENTPs may only concentrate on the ideas being expressed. ENFPs are concerned with the ideas and the motivations for those ideas (what is it about the person and their past experiences that brought them to the idea). If the idea isn't interesting though, I doubt either type would invest the time or effort.

Likely. I lean more towards the latter with a healthy sprinkling of the former. ENFPs seem to take on establishment if it clashes with their values so love and support may be less important in that case. We may want to be respected and admired for different things --- innovative ideas driven by logic and the motivation to improve human life for ENTPs and our ideas driven by our strong values for the ENFPS and the motivation to improve the human experience.

It depends on the realm. A strong Te user could certainly be leaning towards the latter when dealing with theoretical ideas. I know I do. In the personal realm, I think the former may apply more. In personal decision making, I'd be using personal values to decide the inherent value of an action/behavior/attitude whereas the ENTP may use logic. This requires further thought....

A 100% true.

What is the difference here? Is mirroring not adapting?

Sure. ENFPs are driven by the strong need to be understood so persuasion is important. Personally, I enjoy debating as a sport but have also noticed that I stop when people's personal value systems are threatened whereas ENTPs may continue. It's no longer useful or fun at that point.

Yes, although they're not easily identifiable with universal conviction - they're strange too, in their own way and personalized.

Amen. Short attention spans rule. :D

I know there's an ENTP vs ENFP thread floating around but it seems the fluff vs content ratio is about 17:1, I'm all for fluff but old fluff is boring, so y'all get a new thread.[/QUOTE]

Qre:us

Pretty much, except for me at least, there's this under-the-surface insidious line, which I don't understand myself...where once crossed, I'm pretty ruthless. I think understanding Fi, i.e., my self orientation with respect to others, in the emotional realm, would allow me to be sensitive to others inputs in relation to myself as a separate entity. So, yes, I can see how the negatives of this would be sensitivity and easy discouragement, but the positive is:

Or as ergophobe pointed out, whichever one is emphathy vs. sympathy
I wonder if you have them confused here or maybe I do? Sympathy is feeling bad for someone else's misfortune whereas empathy is being able to put yourself in their shoes and feel their misfortune.

However, the price I pay for my seeming "+" of being damn near close to impossible to piss off is that my detachment hinders many close relationships from being explored to depth, which I think ENFP (with Fi) is always rewarded with. And, the aforementioned, once-in-a-blue-moon door-rattling rage that I have a hard time understanding/predicting in myself. And, it's worse because I don't confront at that stage, but, seek out pound-for-pound, drop-for-drop poetic 'justice'. Slipperiness of Fi. Shadiness of Fe.

Yeah, I like people, just like I like new places, animals, ideas, situations, cool things, they're all uniquely different outlets but none that I could place on a concrete heirarchy. All parts of the whole system - the observable natural world.

I'm not sure this is quite as clear -cut here. ENFPs seem excited about people who bring with them new ideas or sharing ideas with new people. The difference may be in how much emphasis is laid on the people themselves. ENTPs may only concentrate on the ideas being expressed. ENFPs are concerned with the ideas and the motivations for those ideas (what is it about the person and their past experiences that brought them to the idea). If the idea isn't interesting though, I doubt either type would invest the time or effort.

I'd agree with ergophobe's spin on it, but, add, that it's more about the goals achieved. An ENFP would not pursue an idea in sacrifice of inter-personal harmony, and an ENTP would be less likely to sacrifice an idea for inter-personal harmony.

As an ENTP, I find myself constantly thinking about the motivations for those ideas, of the people (to acquire for my databank that person's quirks, piss-offs, pattern of behaviour, etc) - thus, again, it's about different goals.
I want to understand in order to get further insight into that particular human system, the human condition, while an ENFP would aim to do that to achieve the goal of satisfaction due to understanding humanity.

Yup.

I'd get behind this. T versus F/2nd versus 3rd position.

Weeeeelll.... I personally see everything in shades of grey, except for a small inner core, which is very black and white, yes.

Question: what's your method of determining correct vs incorrect, coz that in its own way is very black and white too.

It's not about black and white, I don't think (and who is more or less so), but, that age-old tug of war regarding objectivity and subjectivity. Right or wrong versus correct or incorrect.

Kinda like moral versus legal. Something can be illegal but moral. Something can be legal but may be immoral. Depends on subjectivity (and a sway from the 'moral' position). But, legal is either correct or not. It is either the law or it isn't. Objectivity. I think that's what Trin was meaning?

:yes:

I think mirroring hints at a personal detachment while adapting infers that one morphs, shifts their personal compass in order to get the depth of understanding of another's emotions. ENTPs the former, while ENFPs the latter (?).

Arguing is mean. :cry:
Debating is glazed.

Mmm...donut!

Actually, I am pretty darn immovable when it comes to certain core principles...esp. because I've invested many years of thought, criticisms, debate over it. But, just like most things in this life, I am willing to accept that position as falsifiable. :D

Well, I truckered through it all. Little engine that could...that's me. :9436:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mmm glazed donuts mmmmmmmmmmmm

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

As an ENTP-
Very true on that point, until someone tries to one-up me. Then I'm doing everything I can to knock that guy down a peg, even if it isn't the most logical move.

People energize me, but places, ideas and situations can do much the same. I genuinely want to be in contact with people and share good feelings with them, but I can't help it if I forget to keep up - the cell phonebook and Facebook help out a ton.

True enough. I'm not going to feel bad when someone else feels bad per se, but I will be unhappy that the other person feels bad. Sympathy is more feeling the other person's pain, while empathy is more feeling pain because someone you care about is feeling pain. One is directed at the emotion, the other at the person.

The fun part is when you synthesize that, and realize that new ideas can come from the most unexpected people. You just have to slog through the boring stuff. Life is just as much about finding ways to engage yourself when nothing interesting is around as it is finding engaging things.

I find that you need to be loved... it's just that you don't need it constantly demonstrated. It's enough just to know you have them around.

True, but I don't think it's hard to come up with a concept of ethics based on logic - you just have to figure out what the benefits of acting ethically are, and they are innumerable. Then, you just deconstruct them to what their essence is, and boom, it's perfect.

Both are expressive, just in different ways. Our argumentative nature is a sort of expression different than others use, isn't it?

I see it as two sides to the same coin. I think we'd like to think we're being a chameleon, but that's simply our interpretation of it.

I'd say this can vacillate. An ENTP may not want to persuade when it's a question of factual issues, but I do think that it's a sign of maturity, particularly in the Fe, when one modifies their debate technique to add more persuasive elements. Of course, this can be very dangerous.

Heh... but I think it once again is a question of coming up with a logical basis for ethical behavior.

... then I got bored, we both do that.[/INDENT]

My thoughts.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with most of them.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Trin - this list is exactly correct. although, the ethics that I choose to have are pretty solid and unshakable.

And for a lesson in sympathy vs empathy, for those unsure:
sympathy is feeling pain along with someone else and wanting to alleviate it.
empathy is recognizing that others feel pain and understanding why, without taking it on as your own.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

ergophobe said:
This above sounds more like the INFP - healer types than ENFPs. For us, people, their behaviors, their attitudes are really just fascinating and data points towards understanding the human condition as well. I think ENFPs and ENTPs are likely more interested in different aspects of the human condition. ENTP concerns seem to be focused on pragmatic concerns like how to reduce the incidence of crime, illnesses, other ills that plague humanity. As ENFPs, we may be more concerned with the internal functioning of humans and what can be done to help people lead more satisfying lives. More conjecture?

Hmm, I’m concerned with internal functioning as well but maybe a point of difference is an ENFP wants to understand so they can help people while an ENTP wants to understand just for the knowledge?

Like Qre:us said, people are just one part of the observable world.

ergophobe said:

Fi seems more related to empathy and Fe to sympathy since Fi means internalizing the pain to really understand it from the person's perspective.

Do ENTPs find it easy to put themselves in other people's shoes and feel what the other person is feeling?

At my end, I find sympathy easier and empathy harder but I'm not sure how that plays into the broader differences and my own struggle with ENXPness.

Actually, no, I agree with the definitions. I know it sounds back-the-front.

Where I’m coming from is personally I find sympathy pretty fake, it’s like comforting someone because it’s the socially acceptable thing to do and it’s not me, if I can understand their pain by putting myself in their shoes I’m capable of empathising. Still doesn’t mean I will but the likelihood is considerably higher.

I see an ENFP as more likely to be able to put their arm around a shoulder to comfort for the sake of comfort and therefore capable of both empathy and sympathy. Prolly should have listed both in the OP.

An ENFP could freely offer both sympathy and empathy but would find sympathy easier.
An ENTP may be uncomfortable with sympathy but may offer empathy.
?

Amargith said:

What Qre:us said v

Qre:us said:
It's not about black and white, I don't think (and who is more or less so), but, that age-old tug of war regarding objectivity and subjectivity. Right or wrong versus correct or incorrect.

Kinda like moral versus legal. Something can be illegal but moral. Something can be legal but may be immoral. Depends on subjectivity (and a sway from the 'moral' position). But, legal is either correct or not. It is either the law or it isn't. Objectivity. I think that's what Trin was meaning?

ergophobe said:

I think mirroring hints at a personal detachment while adapting infers that one morphs, shifts their personal compass in order to get the depth of understanding of another's emotions. ENTPs the former, while ENFPs the latter (?).

@erg, I guess the difference I’d suggest is adapting is more authentic, like Qre:us said mirroring suggests detachment.

Amargith said:
I have no problem seeing both sides of the argument either. But it is easier for me when I'm not a 'contestant' as such, but the mediator. I can see where both sides are coming from and why they would the way they do.

onemoretime said:
I'd say this can vacillate. An ENTP may not want to persuade when it's a question of factual issues, but I do think that it's a sign of maturity, particularly in the Fe, when one modifies their debate technique to add more persuasive elements. Of course, this can be very dangerous.

Agree onemoretime.

And yup Amar, the idea is ENFPs want to resonate with what others are saying and see both sides of the argument.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It depends on the individual. With most people, I don't give a flying crap unless the individual is close to me, then it hurts. But just HOW MUCH depends on how close they are to me and how bad the statement/injury/ action was.

I like both.

I do both.

As a teacher, I am excited about meeting new people.
In my free time, I'm more excited about new ideas.

I would like to have all four things.

Again, I do both.

My level of expressiveness depends entirely upon the a) people, b) subject matter, and c) knowledge about the subject. If I feel an affinity with people, discuss a matter which is of great importance and passion, and know a great deal, I will be extremely expressive. Otherwise, I will be more likely to listen, learn, observe, and be more distanced.

I do both.

With moral/philosophical/value arguments and things that matter to me, ENFP.

With economic, political, and social matters, more ENTP.

Strong ethics, granted.

YUP! :D

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP

These seem the same to me...?

I bolded the ones that I think apply to me. Some of them were a gray area, such as having strong ethics or needing to influence people positively. I mostly just want to not be an ass to people, and have friends who I can give enjoyment to as well as take enjoyment from.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

According to this list I could be almost as much ENTP than ENFP. ;)
Excelpt for arguing and the RESPECT ME part, :newwink: I'm equally interested in new ideas and new people. The best possbile situation is when I meet a new person with lots of new ideas! :newwink:

What's the difference between adapting emotional expressions to those they’re interacting with and mirroring emotional expressions? I see the adapting emotional expressions as mirroring other persons emotions too.

One addition:
ENFP's use more smilies than ENTPs. True? :D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
According to this list I could be almost as much ENTP than ENFP. ;)
Excelpt for arguing and the RESPECT ME part, :newwink: I'm equally interested in new ideas and new people. The best possbile situation is when I meet a new person with lots of new ideas! :newwink:

What's the difference between adapting emotional expressions to those they’re interacting with and mirroring emotional expressions? I see the adapting emotional expressions as mirroring other persons emotions too.

One addition:
ENFP's use more smilies than ENTPs. True? :D

Iunno, as I'm not ENFP I'd say there's a good chance those ones aren't spot on, hence why I want feedback.

And the mirroring/adapting is like this;

I think mirroring hints at a personal detachment while adapting infers that one morphs, shifts their personal compass in order to get the depth of understanding of another's emotions. ENTPs the former, while ENFPs the latter.

As for emoticons... erm :whistling:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

Sometimes my mirroring slides right into parody, and even I'm not sure of the line.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
in the end it comes down to temperament...NT vs NF...more than ENTP vs ENFP

the threads about dilemma...'Do you cut the rope and plunge to your death or take everyone down with you' prove as much

NT vs NF is also the reason i can say im ENTP with a liberal amounts of Fe and not ENFP

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
the threads about dilemma...'Do you cut the rope and plunge to your death or take everyone down with you' prove as much

I'd cut the rope and let everyone else live. Is that the NT choice?

I'd die either way. Why would I want other people to die when they don't have to? I'm actually disturbed that anyone wouldn't pick that answer.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
ENTP's are like ENFP's with hearts that pump a vile acid.