• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Types of countries' citizens

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Stereo typical Englashman doesn't exists anymore, probably since the 60's/70's... Old money and distinguished people are probably 1-2% of the entire population. Think rude, poorly mannered lager lout and you have the average 25 year old - foot ball fans who are particulalrly unpleasant... even its a bit of a generalisation but truer than I think your perception is likely to be.

The well heeled, gentleman is an exceptionately rare breed, and the upper classes etc are probably 1-2% of the population
Maybe that's true where you're living, but I wouldn't say that represents the average person or even the average football fan I meet. I'm not talking about the upper class stereotype or the 'gentleman', just the average man in the average street. Americans who visit are surprised by the reserve we still have, regardless of class. Having read about Victorian society, it seems to me we're still rude in the same ways we were always rude and polite in the same ways we were always polite, and if anything, we've probably gotten somewhat less rude since the Victorian era - one of the reasons I think that the more rules a and regulations a society has for public conduct and interaction, the ruder it may become in other ways.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe that's true where you're living, but I wouldn't say that represents the average person or even the average football fan I meet. I'm not talking about the upper class stereotype or the 'gentleman', just the average man in the average street. Americans who visit are surprised by the reserve we still have, regardless of class. Having read about Victorian society, it seems to me we're still rude in the same ways we were always rude and polite in the same ways we were always polite, and if anything, we've probably gotten somewhat less rude since the Victorian era - one of the reasons I think that the more rules a and regulations a society has for public conduct and interaction, the ruder it may become in other ways.

If I'm in the states people say please and thank you as standard, they offer to help women with bags for them, open doors etc etc. I find the US startlingly polite in comparison to the UK travel I've done. My larger lout analogy may be extreme but core manners are not showing in the UK anymore and their is a huge population who are larger louts. Basic manners have all but dissapeared.

Yes I agree London is not a fair representation of the UK but I'm pretty well traveled in the UK and I still say US far outstrips it for basic manners of the man in the street. Call centers with rude staff, in the supermarket etc, etc...

Best service staff I've come across are Ozzies by miles :)

And I completely agree in many places England has reserve... but that is different from general etiquet and manners

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
What people don’t seem to understand is that the US is large enough and populous enough that it has developed two brains, or two main philosophical cultures, and thus would be suited better if we were to divide the US into states. This would be like trying to classify Europe (or more accurately the EU) in one MBTI category, and if I were to do that, I would class them as ESFP. Hopefully I made my point, though I’m serious on what I would classify Europe as in accord to my bias.

I don't see how the citizens of the US are getting ESTJ without any consideration to other factors, I'm guessing others are judging the US based off of it's foreign policy and are painting a picture with that, the people of the US, obviously diverse, but tend to favor F's over T's, and, P's over J's, this I am quite confident in. This obviously differs from state to state, but the more populous states (thus the majority of the US) are ESFP. California holds about 12% of the US population, and ESTJ is almost one of the furthest mbti scores one could come up with for Ca.

I would break down the US it would be West and East coast (not including Alaska) ESFP with a little ENFP, South ESTJ, Mid West ISTJ

In regards to England and Sweden, (perhaps I'm suffering from transnational misconceptions myself) I don't see how those two are ISTJ, nothing in those two countries in regards to it's citizens suggest any traditional or authority respecting schools of thought that I can observe. I would denote those two with P's at least, though I don’t claim authority in this regard.

I agree. I've lived all over the states and say... people in California are completely different than people in New York :D

United States of America:
Southern states: ESFJ
East Coast: INTJ
West Coast: ESFP
New England: xNTP/xNTJ
Mid-West: ISFJ

This is just based on personal experience. My family is from the South and I grew up around Southerners and Northerners (East coast & New England). Then I moved to Cali when I was 15 and I've been here for about five years. I haven't been in the Mid-West, but from the ones I've met they seem to keep to themselves but kind of remind me of Southern folk.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I'm in the states people say please and thank you as standard, they offer to help women with bags for them, open doors etc etc. I find the US startlingly polite in comparison to the UK travel I've done. My larger lout analogy may be extreme but core manners are not showing in the UK anymore and their is a huge population who are larger louts. Basic manners have all but dissapeared.

Yes I agree London is not a fair representation of the UK but I'm pretty well traveled in the UK and I still say US far outstrips it for basic manners of the man in the street. Call centers with rude staff, in the supermarket etc, etc...
Oh I absolutely agree about staff, lol. Customer service training is not our forte.

To some extent manners are just perceived differently in different countries. For example, mentioning religion in a lot of contexts is considered bad manners here - it might offend someone - when it would be not in the USA. As is answering 'yes' to the question 'Are you good at ___?' At most you can say 'I'm alright', or 'I'm qualified' or something, but Brits are extremely sensitive to any hint of boastfulness. I've heard teachers comment that in the USA, it's much easier to get students to talk about what they're good at instead of what they're bad at, in fact they launch straight into a monologue about their strengths, but here, there's a deeply felt reluctance.

I'm not sure about pleases, thanks and opening doors, which everyone I know who isn't a little autistic knows when to do, but when it comes to offering people help, the reluctance there is often due to shyness, not wanting to draw attention to yourself or risk embarrassing yourself or bothering someone who'd rather be left alone or might be in a bad mood (there's the Introverted assumption that this is a strong possibility in most situations), or the well-studied phenomenon of groups of people being unwilling to step forward in a crisis or problem because of the instinctive self-doubt humans feel in these situations - the more other people are around who could help, the longer we wait until we're sure there's no one who could do a better job than we could. In experiments people have been filmed nervously watching a fire in a small shop get dangerously large before finally the fear of the fire outstrips the fear of being the one to sound the alarm and the confusion of wondering why no one else is doing so either (for some reason we usually don't imagine that it would be the same reason we aren't). These problems are more prevalent and powerful in some countries than in others.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh I absolutely agree about staff, lol. Customer service training is not our forte.

LOL - go Ozzies!

I probably over stated the larger lout bit, but a fair few US people really beleive we are Dickensian Britain.

US is just very different than Europe, I don't find Europe all that mannerly either, but I enjoy it :D....

If you visit Cambridge - University city here, they are OK, wouldn't offer to be helpful or volenteer aything much. Ann Arbour - an old uiveristy city there - they fall over themselves being polite, offering to carry bags - not service staff, just passers by... Ok maybe not truely typical of the average American but I found similar acts in Oregon, and the various airports I've touched down in... You just don't get it here...

Snuff, off topic... I do fully agree the English are very reserved.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
The Houses of Parliament, with their Right Honourable this and Noble Lord that, being a fine example. And although its members can come across as downright immature and opportunistic in their exchanges with each other, I have to say I don't envy the reverence Americans are expected to show for high-ranking politicians, whom I think should be treated as the employees that they are.

There's occasionally actual brawls in japanese parliment. They'll throw shoes at each other and actually fight.

This's actually staged from both sides, and individuals are called the day before and warned to wear soft soled shoes. It's a publicity stunt to show that they're willing to 'fight for their voter's opinions!'.

Hei, if it works, it works, right? ^.^

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

So what are the negatives of the USA out of curiosity?

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd say xNTJ myself - not a P because it's not laser fare like France, it's pretty full on intense. The Scots don't let go their history, are pretty agressive and actually pretty invenetive - many inventions come from Scots - given it's a tiny country, they also pretty visionary (a fair few things we take forgranted were invented by the Scots).

Great Scottish Inventors
Category:Scottish inventors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly what I was going too say!!!!!! I would say we are quite ENTP. Think Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle ect All typical ENTP humour. Mind you I can see ESTP to an extent. Scotland also has a history of gorrilla warfare If you look up Robert the Bruce you will see. So I'm sticking with ENTP. Also in scotland NT humour goes down well with everyone, especially SPs. My SP friends find my sense of humour hilarious which I'm sure wouldn't happen in other countries.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think London tends to bring out the worst in Aussies, Kiwis and Saffas. I'm told there's a ray gun in Heathrow which subtracts 40 IQ points, instills a raging thirst and inflated sense of patriotism in new antipodean arrivals. It also predisposes them to seek out bartending jobs.

Actually I think part of the problem (there are a few bigger, more obvious ones) is that most Aussies come from urban areas and when they go overseas they feel they have to act out an "outback Aussie" persona in order to live up to expectations. So they drink a lot, make too much noise, exaggerate perceived Aussie traits (eg confidence, machismo, irreverence, informality) and generally act obnoxiously. Mostly in groups where they attempt to out-Aussie one another. Sorry about that. If it's any consolation they are often haunted by guilt once they return to Aus.

When my parents travelled around Europe in the 70s they told everyone they were kiwis because Aussies had such a terrible reputation. Sounds like the kiwis have caught up, which surprises me I must admit.

The Kiwis I know tend to hang out with the Aussies a lot, and I'm afraid my poor opinion was partly sealed on Waitangi (sp?) Day, the Kiwi national day. There were literally thousands of them on a pub crawl in my area, and a friend who lives nearby (and shares some of my opinions) said that by one o'clock in the afternoon they were so pissed that they were peeing and throwing up in people's front yards.

I haven't had a lot of success in forming friendships with Kiwis, but I have been friends with a few Aussies, who have inevitably been women (I'm also female) at least a few years older than me, and clearly somewhat different from "the group."

I do think there are things about these people I could enjoy/appreciate if I could look beyond the bad points. They tend to be easy going, don't really dislike anyone, spontaneous...etc. And frankly, I may be a bit jealous because they seem to be having more fun than me in a lot of cases :D

One of the weird things I would say about the Kiwis I've met here is a lot of them don't seem to have much personality. Of any type! Less than the Aussies. I have to wonder if it's something to do with them being subsumed into "the group." Like, if I could get them away from the crowd, their real personality might come out more, and one I could get along with better...

I read a thread on an INFJ discussion board, I think it was, where someone said it seemed like there was a serious lack of INFJ types in Aussie society and everyone was expected to be ESTP or maybe ESFP. One person who commented agreed that Aus society tended to uphold the ESTP ideal, but that it seemed like there were plenty of people of other types (including NFs and NTs) but they were going along with the ESxP crowd because, well, that seemed like the way to go. I thought there could be a lot of truth in that.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Exactly what I was going too say!!!!!! I would say we are quite ENTP. Think Billy Connolly, Frankie Boyle ect All typical ENTP humour. Mind you I can see ESTP to an extent. Scotland also has a history of gorrilla warfare If you look up Robert the Bruce you will see. So I'm sticking with ENTP. Also in scotland NT humour goes down well with everyone, especially SPs. My SP friends find my sense of humour hilarious which I'm sure wouldn't happen in other countries.

CJ - the reality of Scotland is different from the stereo type...

As for the US, zenophobia, parochial-ness, a fair bit is close minded/extremist moral views... wasn't into the diet loved the light quality

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I do think there are things about these people I could enjoy/appreciate if I could look beyond the bad points. They tend to be easy going, don't really dislike anyone, spontaneous...etc. And frankly, I may be a bit jealous because they seem to be having more fun than me in a lot of cases :D

English backpackers over here are pretty much the same.

One of the weird things I would say about the Kiwis I've met here is a lot of them don't seem to have much personality. Of any type! Less than the Aussies. I have to wonder if it's something to do with them being subsumed into "the group." Like, if I could get them away from the crowd, their real personality might come out more, and one I could get along with better...

Kiwis tend to be a very undemonstrative mob. I think one of the biggest social blunders you can make in NZ is looking like you're full of yourself. So they do their best not to stand from the crowd. Kiwis tell me that a lack of confidence is pretty much a national trait, while they perceive Aussies as being confident to the point of cockiness. It's a big part of what they dislike about us.

I read a thread on an INFJ discussion board, I think it was, where someone said it seemed like there was a serious lack of INFJ types in Aussie society and everyone was expected to be ESTP or maybe ESFP. One person who commented agreed that Aus society tended to uphold the ESTP ideal, but that it seemed like there were plenty of people of other types (including NFs and NTs) but they were going along with the ESxP crowd because, well, that seemed like the way to go. I thought there could be a lot of truth in that.

I think the "typical" Aussie would be either ESTP or ISTP. Which isn't saying that there are the most of those types -- I mean that those are the types whose characteristics seem to be most commonly esteemed. Australia has to be one of the most sensor-friendly place on earth. Especially outside of the cities.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7

Best service staff I've come across are Ozzies by miles :)

And I completely agree in many places England has reserve... but that is different from general etiquet and manners

Tinkerbell wins my vote on a good description of England.

My mum's side is Scottish, and my grandpa describes the English people he had to work with, after they moved down South as lazy, incompetent, -10000% proactive, indecisive and so on. He goes to his first meeting (architecture/landscapedesign), and they all chat about what needs doing for next meeting, next meeting, nothing's been done, and a about a half way into to the meeting he explodes, realising they're basically just going to sit around talking about doing things, never getting on with anything. They never did it again :laugh:

My mum described her PE lessons in England as all the girls being exceedingly shocked at how she'd grunt in shotput, disliked the skirt (not that she didn't like skirts, just felt it was a tad unsuited to sport) and played like a guy pretty much and so on.

But this is back in the 70s-80s.

I'd say Scotland is rather NT. England...Possibly IStJ...

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Are there any INTP countries?

Some place with small villages separated by wilderness it would seem according to some type description.

Wow... Netherlands? I find it quite shocking.

I'd go with 'N'. I remember a huge psychological/sociological experiment in which the people from different countries were shown paintings and based on this the 'ultimate' painting for the country was made. Long story short, the Netherlands were the only ones who ended up with an abstract painting! (and that's very 'N' ;) ).
It's 'N' or characteristic of artificiality. The Dutch are of course water engineers and merchants. Sounds like ISTP. 'Cool and casual': ESTJ. Not that polite (<-- attempt for euphemism of the year award): EStJ? Traditional dutch girl: ISFJ. Hmm. The inventiveness (in seafaring and arts and sciences) would point to a big N-aspect.

The quintessential ISFP nation must be Belgium :)
Agree.

What about Iceland: ESfj ?

Lightyear

I think the "typical" Aussie would be either ESTP or ISTP. Which isn't saying that there are the most of those types -- I mean that those are the types whose characteristics seem to be most commonly esteemed. Australia has to be one of the most sensor-friendly place on earth. Especially outside of the cities.

I remember when travelling to Australia and New Zealand being very unimpressed with these countries because to me they just seemed to lack depth (when it comes to culture, history, art etc; their culture seemed to be a light version of British culture) and I could never live there long-term. However I had sensor friends who loved these countries, I guess I am not really that impressed by amazing nature but more by a unique way of thinking, a lot of history, diversity etc.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Gorillas in the Scotch Mist?

Good god yes....

LOL clan risings etc - mainly in the north...

Basically Scottish clans = families. Lived in villages witin the hills, when they want to fight other clans they would creep up on them and attack. They used to do it to the English too when they were at war with them. They deploy some interesting battle strategies...

Scotland has a hisotry of being pretty vicious.

Better point out, this was several 00'ed years ago - but they are still pretty nifty. Royal Bank of Scotland in the 1980's was some wee Scottish local bank, which then took over one of the largest retail banking outlets in the UK - NatWest... (Scotland other big bank was also trying to buy the bank). RBS then went on to buy around the world, and were the largest bank in the world at one point (don't quote me, I may be wrong).... then the banks crashed and RBS is currently in shame... still for a small outlet it came a long, long way in 20 years.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember when travelling to Australia and New Zealand being very unimpressed with these countries because to me they just seemed to lack depth (when it comes to culture, history, art etc; their culture seemed to be a light version of British culture) and I could never live there long-term. However I had sensor friends who loved these countries, I guess I am not really that impressed by amazing nature but more by a unique way of thinking, a lot of history, diversity etc.

Yeah, the nature is extraordinary, which is what I loved when I travelled in those countries a few years ago. Places like Uluru have really powerful feelings attached to them because of their natural splendour.

The thing is, while Aus may not be mainly known for its culture, it has some great writers and musicians - David Malouf, Peter Carey, Margo Lanagan (writers) and I do like their rock music - Midnight Oil is one of my all time faves. They're loud and brash, yes, but also thoughtful, intelligent and moving. As for NZ, Neil Finn of Crowded House is possibly the greatest living songwriter, with deep and moving lyrics and incredibly tuneful songs. But quite frankly, the majority of Aussies and Kiwis I've met have managed to strike me as shallow enough that I tend to think people with much depth/artistry must feel like fish out of water there. Again, though, this is mainly based on my impression of overseas Aussies/Kiwis.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Gorillas in the Scotch Mist?

Oh yeah. Robert the Bruce won the battle of banuchburn by effectively causing the english army into being fenced by a bog so half then drowned and the rest were trampled by the panicing horses. He then spent the next two or three days hunting down and killing every single englishman who escaped.
Friendly people when were your friends. Viscious when were not.