• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does Extroverted Intuition look like?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't really agree with this. If extraverted intution is about exploring multiple perspectives to be closer to true objectivity, introverted intution is about finding the transcendent perspective that incorporates all other perspectives. I don't believe how true this statement really is, since Jung never described Ne and Ni in those terms. He described Ne as the ability to perceive the essence of an object (what the person observes) beyond it's surface appearance, which allows them to see potential. Think of Se but with more abstraction. Ni is like Ne but the process in inverted inwards towards the subject (the person). Ni perceives what lies just beyond our consciousness, for example the reasons underlying our motives (i.e. am I really doing this for altruism or for ulterior motives). Intuition is a perceiving function. Ne is the perception of the essence of objects, Ni is the perception of the essence of the subject.

Bolded part is a really good way of summarizing it; that helps. I'm still working on my understanding of Ni, so thanks for the additional description.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aye, I love that kind of art.

And the OP asks for a graphical representation of Ne. This is the closest from of art that I know off that is very Ne-like. :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aye, I love that kind of art.

And the OP asks for a graphical representation of Ne. This is the closest from of art that I know off that is very Ne-like. :)

DOH! I totally missed the 'graphical' representation aspect. I should really learn to *follow directions*. Yes, you did a very good job of that - listen to him/her...:blush:

Jaguar

Excerpts from 'Gifts Differing' :

Ni-Uses the objective situation in the interests of the inner understanding.
Ne-Uses the inner understanding in the interests of the objective situation.

Ni-Regards the immediate situation as a prison from which escape is urgently necessary,
and aims to escape through some sweeping change in the subjective understanding of the objective situation.

Ne-Regards the immediate situation as a prison from which escape is urgently necessary,
and aims to escape by means of some sweeping change in the objective situation.

Ni-Receives its impetus from outer objects, but is never arrested by external possibilities,
being occupied rather by searching out new angles for viewing and understanding life.

Ne-Is wholly directed upon outer objects, searching for emerging possibilities,
and will sacrifice all else for such possibilities when found.

Ni-May be creative in any field: artistic, literary, scientific, inventive, philosophical, or religious.
Ne-May be artistic, scientific, mechanical, inventive, industrial, commercial, social, political, or adventurous.

Ni-Finds self-expression difficult.
Ne-Finds self-expression natural and easy.

Ni-Finds it greatest value lies in the interpretation of life and then promotion of understanding.
Ne-Finds its greatest value in the promotion and initiation of new enterprises.

Ni-Requires the development of balancing judgment not only for the criticism and evaluation of intuitive understanding,
but to enable it to impart its visions to others and bring them to practical usefulness in the world.

Ne-Requires the development of balancing judgment not only for the criticism and evaluation of the intuitive enthusiasms,
but also to hold it to the completion of its various activities.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
DOH! I totally missed the 'graphical' representation aspect. I should really learn to *follow directions*. Yes, you did a very good job of that - listen to him/her...:blush:

You didn't miss anything, because she didn't say it like that. I was just playing with her words. A joke if you will. Harmless as it is. ;P

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't really agree with this. If extraverted intution is about exploring multiple perspectives to be closer to true objectivity, introverted intution is about finding the transcendent perspective that incorporates all other perspectives. I don't believe how true this statement really is, since Jung never described Ne and Ni in those terms. He described Ne as the ability to perceive the essence of an object (what the person observes) beyond it's surface appearance, which allows them to see potential. Think of Se but with more abstraction. Ni is like Ne but the process in inverted inwards towards the subject (the person). Ni perceives what lies just beyond our consciousness, for example the reasons underlying our motives (i.e. am I really doing this for altruism or for ulterior motives). Intuition is a perceiving function. Ne is the perception of the essence of objects, Ni is the perception of the essence of the subject.
This is how I feel. :yes:

I have a lot of difficulties separating Ni from Ne. It seems as if I unconsciously and instinctively use both. Although brain storming for me tends to have a Ni tone (i.e. object focused, referencing multiple instances in various situations).

I very much identify with the Escher drawing. Things can be interpreted and perceived in many different ways. The views share similarity to each other. The overall reality is the sum of all of them with underlying patterns (e.g. staircases and walls) that surface in each POV. All interconnected. Now is this a case of Ne or Ni?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Excerpts from 'Gifts Differing' :

Ni-Uses the objective situation in the interests of the inner understanding.
Ne-Uses the inner understanding in the interests of the objective situation.

Ni-Regards the immediate situation as a prison from which escape is urgently necessary,
and aims to escape through some sweeping change in the subjective understanding of the objective situation.

Ne-Regards the immediate situation as a prison from which escape is urgently necessary,
and aims to escape by means of some sweeping change in the objective situation.

Ni-Receives its impetus from outer objects, but is never arrested by external possibilities,
being occupied rather by searching out new angles for viewing and understanding life.

Ne-Is wholly directed upon outer objects, searching for emerging possibilities,
and will sacrifice all else for such possibilities when found.

Ni-May be creative in any field: artistic, literary, scientific, inventive, philosophical, or religious.
Ne-May be artistic, scientific, mechanical, inventive, industrial, commercial, social, political, or adventurous.

Ni-Finds self-expression difficult.
Ne-Finds self-expression natural and easy.

Ni-Finds it greatest value lies in the interpretation of life and then promotion of understanding.
Ne-Finds its greatest value in the promotion and initiation of new enterprises.

Ni-Requires the development of balancing judgment not only for the criticism and evaluation of intuitive understanding,
but to enable it to impart its visions to others and bring them to practical usefulness in the world.

Ne-Requires the development of balancing judgment not only for the criticism and evaluation of the intuitive enthusiasms,
but also to hold it to the completion of its various activities.

It sounds like Ne has more similarities to Se than one might think.

It's generally considered more similar to Ni, which I suppose it is, but the whole looking for opportunities for action/ways to change the external world thing gives it a similar focus to that of the other Pe function, Se.

Interesting.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I was going to make a thread today explaining Ne, and then I saw yours! I will give you a detailed, (in fact, tortuous and exhausting) explanation from my own experiences in a little while! I wanted to tell you that, but I've got to go right now...

Ok, I've got a few more minutes before I leave, so I'll get started. One can only come up with something so close to a reality by gluing concepts together. I'm going to give you the reality, and you will be able to create the concepts yourself. I will post a few thought processes I have had that stuck with me as examples of Ne. I will say that my Ne is lightning-fast, (My Si & Se all but dont' exist) and I haven't met any other extrovert as unaware of his environment as me.

I am walking down the stairs with my headphones on. I am listening to a song with slow, croning singer, and I think his voice sounds kind of like a zombie. I see the tiles on the kitchen floor beneath me. I think of Tetris. With Fi, I consider how old video games contain puzzles like Tetris, while new video games contain zombies. I conclude that it is unfortunate. As I step into the kitchen, I see a cup on the counter. The day before, I had found a gigantic beetle in the street and I placed him in a cup. Another thing that happened the day before is I found a pair of sunglasses. I thought of this because they kind of made me look like John Lennon, the Beatle. I was wearing the same large headphones when I found them, and I thought of another time when much of my face was covered up. It was a few years ago at a protest. I had fairly large sunglasses on and my hood was up. I briefly thought of the Unibomber. With Fi, I was strained: I considered how I no longer hold the opinions that I did a few years ago, and how arrogant and dogmatic I was to protest. I thought of a friend who expressed similar regrets to me one time. I had actually accompanied him at this protest. We are both ENFPs, and I thought that Te, as it kicks in later, can really give an ENFP hard regrets. I thought of two other instances in which I had seen ENFPs behaving in a childish manner, and wondered how long it took for them to reflect and regret those situations. I thought about Typologycentral. I considered making a thread on childishness, Te, and regret in ENFPs. I envisioned a literal piece of thread. It connected pictures of the several ENFP friends that I envisioned. It represented the 'ENFP.' I considered that in my mind, a piece of string representing ANY topic would be sewn through all situations and ideas concerning that topic that I could think of, whether real or imagined. This is a good visual representation of Ne, so I considered making a thread on Ne in general.

This train of thought took about fifteen seconds. My stairs lead directly into my kitchen. As I approached the cabinet where the cups were, I had to interact with my environment, so my train of thought ended there. I was sensually keen for only the few seconds I needed to open the cabinet and grab a cup, after which I receded into my thoughts again.

I imagined reaching for the cup containing the beetle on the counter, which I had named Ringo within the past twenty seconds. If I filled it up with water in the sink, how slow would I have to fill it to drown him? (I could drown him, but I would need several trials to determine the threshold, and you can only drown a beetle once). How fast would the water have to shoot out of the faucet to crush him? (faster than my sink does). I wondered why I thought of different ways to kill the beetle, because I love animals. If I filled the cup from the faucet, the beetle would probably float to the top and out of the cup. If it floated onto my hand and latched on, would I be able to keep from freaking out? Would I get nervous at the last moment and tilt the cup to one side, almost unconsciously, so that he would float out of the cup in another direction? I thought that it was funny that I considered all of these possibilities even though I had no intention of actually filling up the cup with the beetle in it. Would it be possible to serve someone water with that beetle in it and startle them when it touched their mouth? With Fi, I thought that this would be very mean, and I wouldn't do it to anyone, because someone who I despise that much probably despises me as well, and they would probably be apprehensive if I handed them a drink! First of all, they would need to be distracted, secondly, it would have to be in a dark room, third, it would help if the cup contained ice, and also the cup should not be transparent. It would also help if they were drunk. As I turned around, I imagined my whole kitchen full of people having a party. I would have to borrow someones speakers, because a party needs music, and I just spent all my money on the headphones I was wearing instead of speakers. I remembered that this was the second time within the past minute that I had thought about my headhpones. I decided that Ne really has a way of tieing topics together in a web, and made the decision to memorize my thought process to write on typologycentral under the Ne thread that I thought about making.

I remembered that I was holding a cup of water and that I was thirsty. I took a sip.

Edit: If you want me to write out another thought process, I will just take my dog for a walk, come back, and type out what I thought. All my thinking is in this style.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am walking down the stairs with my headphones on. I am listening to a song with slow, croning singer, and I think his voice sounds kind of like a zombie. I see the tiles on the kitchen floor beneath me. I think of Tetris. With Fi, I consider how old video games contain puzzles like Tetris, while new video games contain zombies. I conclude that it is unfortunate. As I step into the kitchen, I see a cup on the counter. The day before, I had found a gigantic beetle in the street and I placed him in a cup. Another thing that happened the day before is I found a pair of sunglasses. I thought of this because they kind of made me look like John Lennon, the Beatle. I was wearing the same large headphones when I found them, and I thought of another time when much of my face was covered up. It was a few years ago at a protest. I had fairly large sunglasses on and my hood was up. I briefly thought of the Unibomber. With Fi, I was strained: I considered how I no longer hold the opinions that I did a few years ago, and how arrogant and dogmatic I was to protest. I thought of a friend who expressed similar regrets to me one time. I had actually accompanied him at this protest. We are both ENFPs, and I thought that Te, as it kicks in later, can really give an ENFP hard regrets. I thought of two other instances in which I had seen ENFPs behaving in a childish manner, and wondered how long it took for them to reflect and regret those situations. I thought about Typologycentral. I considered making a thread on childishness, Te, and regret in ENFPs. I envisioned a literal piece of thread. It connected pictures of the several ENFP friends that I envisioned. It represented the 'ENFP.' I considered that in my mind, a piece of string representing ANY topic would be sewn through all situations and ideas concerning that topic that I could think of, whether real or imagined. This is a good visual representation of Ne, so I considered making a thread on Ne in general.

This train of thought took about fifteen seconds. My stairs lead directly into my kitchen. As I approached the cabinet where the cups were, I had to interact with my environment, so my train of thought ended there. I was sensually keen for only the few seconds I needed to open the cabinet and grab a cup, after which I receded into my thoughts again.

I imagined reaching for the cup containing the beetle on the counter, which I had named Ringo within the past twenty seconds. If I filled it up with water in the sink, how slow would I have to fill it to drown him? (I could drown him, but I would need several trials to determine the threshold, and you can only drown a beetle once). How fast would the water have to shoot out of the faucet to crush him? (faster than my sink does). I wondered why I thought of different ways to kill the beetle, because I love animals. If I filled the cup from the faucet, the beetle would probably float to the top and out of the cup. If it floated onto my hand and latched on, would I be able to keep from freaking out? Would I get nervous at the last moment and tilt the cup to one side, almost unconsciously, so that he would float out of the cup in another direction? I thought that it was funny that I considered all of these possibilities even though I had no intention of actually filling up the cup with the beetle in it. Would it be possible to serve someone water with that beetle in it and startle them when it touched their mouth? With Fi, I thought that this would be very mean, and I wouldn't do it to anyone, because someone who I despise that much probably despises me as well, and they would probably be apprehensive if I handed them a drink! First of all, they would need to be distracted, secondly, it would have to be in a dark room, third, it would help if the cup contained ice, and also the cup should not be transparent. It would also help if they were drunk. As I turned around, I imagined my whole kitchen full of people having a party. I would have to borrow someones speakers, because a party needs music, and I just spent all my money on the headphones I was wearing instead of speakers. I remembered that this was the second time within the past minute that I had thought about my headhpones. I decided that Ne really has a way of tieing topics together in a web, and made the decision to memorize my thought process to write on typologycentral under the Ne thread that I thought about making.

I remembered that I was holding a cup of water and that I was thirsty. I took a sip.

Edit: If you want me to write out another thought process, I will just take my dog for a walk, come back, and type out what I thought. All my thinking is in this style.
Wow! :D

Its so hard for me to imagine that other people actually think like that too! That's the sort of stuff that goes around in my head all day long. I don't know how you even wrote it all down - for me that stuff just pops up and in a split second its gone. Most days its a wonder my brain doesn't explode.

Chloe

I just red in one Socionics book -Socionics demystified- about dominant Ne, it says ;

As the dominant function or attitude, it is likely that the psychologist (ENFp) will also not believe for a moment that the universe is inherently rational, rather it is viewed as founded on chaos. Dominant Ne might result in good imagination.

For example, a drink of water may over-suggest that in another part of the world a fire is being put out. This is example of "chaos theory", like a conspiracy theory taken too far that it gets in the way of everyday living.

Well, I lol'd so much on this last part about drinking water because it is exactly what crosses my mind when I drink water:D
I constantly imagine what's happening in another part of world in this moment and how is linked to me or not linked. I did is from earliest childhood.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just red in one Socionics book about dominant Ne, it says ;

Well, I lol'd so much on this last part about drinking water because it is exactly what crosses my mind when I drink water:D
I constantly imagine what's happening in another part of world in this moment and how is linked to me or not linked. I did is from earliest childhood.

I do too, but I want to clarify that outrageous quote from socionics.com. It may remind me that a fire is most likely being put out at the same time that I am drinking water, or I sometimes wonder what the odds would be of watching the very first raindrop in a rainstorm hit the ground. But I don't see the water-drinking and the fire-putting-out as connected in any irrational or cosmic way, things just remind me of related possibilities, and it is very likely that a fire is being put out right now, or that someone else is on his computer typing about fires being put out.

Edit: Another thought I had while outside in the country tonight is, "What if I had goggles that allowed me to see all of the scorpions and spiders, as through infra red vision." Creepy!

But that quote I made earlier is really what thirty seconds in the head of a Ne-Dom looks like. OP, aren't you an INTJ? Would you please attempt to do the same thing that I have done, but with Ni, (Te)???

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a hard time conceptualizing Ne. Its a bit as odd as Si to me.

Does anyone have a good way of explaining introverted (fixed, sorry) extroverted intuition that would make sense? Or perhaps what is the difference between Ne and Ni in how it works?

Most of the other functions make sense on a kind of instinctual level to me, but this one doesn't.
There is day and night.
Si and Ne share a continuum.
Day and night do not cohabit.
In other words:

Inside does not look.
Look is outside of the self.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I am not the same
in this second as the next.
The world is a blur
but it all makes sense.

It dances before me
in perfect order,
like I could control it
or hold it in my hands,
and no matter how hard
I try to ignore it,
I know I understand.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I think extraverted symbolism is using the outside world to make assumptions, as opposed to hunches that characterize introverted intuition. Ne has no off switch, while Ni can be deactivated somewhat. It's why INTP's can keep on changing their assumptions while INTJ's will cement themselves firmly.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was going to make a thread today explaining Ne, and then I saw yours! I will give you a detailed, (in fact, tortuous and exhausting) explanation from my own experiences in a little while! I wanted to tell you that, but I've got to go right now...

Ok, I've got a few more minutes before I leave, so I'll get started. One can only come up with something so close to a reality by gluing concepts together. I'm going to give you the reality, and you will be able to create the concepts yourself. I will post a few thought processes I have had that stuck with me as examples of Ne. I will say that my Ne is lightning-fast, (My Si & Se all but dont' exist) and I haven't met any other extrovert as unaware of his environment as me.

this is my favorite post on this whole forum...ever...yay you! haha :smile:

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
OP, aren't you an INTJ? Would you please attempt to do the same thing that I have done, but with Ni, (Te)???

I shall try. I did something similar once (or rather, had others doing something similar) with a "Give Us An Example of a Thought Process" thread based on arbitrary words that were thrown out there... I'll try to find that thread later.

Before I begin, I have to say that all of the posts in this thread are extremely helpful. I am getting a much clearer idea of what Ne is. Y'all are awesome. Reading through the stream of consciousness post, I could see the influences from the external world... and I think mine are much, much more internally based. The thoughts only need say, one or two key things to kick off the process and then the outer world kind of fades away as I follow the thoughts from one to the next, almost completely tuned out of the 'real world' for the duration until I come up for air.

I'll type now, as I sit here watching the clock, my own thought process, so the rest of this can be ignored unless you want an insight into an INTJ mind for a minute.

Blahhh. 2:45. I have ... an hour and 45 minutes left until I can leave for the day. Am I on support today? No that was yesterday, good. I don't want to stay again. Traffic sucked yesterday. They should fix the stupid roads around here and it probably wouldn't be so bad. During the school year it will get worse. That and when the sun starts setting at rush hour time. Gawd I love summer! Those guys are hot. Its not so hot today, we should go swimming. Crap! Dog obedience class. Wonder if I can sign the kid up ha! She does need to go with me... and she'll need dinner. I'm full from lunch. Friday is going to be interesting and I STILL need to talk to him first so there isn't trouble. I can't forget to call the restaurant too with a number. How many will we be? I dont even know who all is coming yet. How do I get into these things? I shouldn't be in charge of social events and yet I still invite people to things. Maybe I shouldn't do the pool party this year... but its just starting to become a tradition and probably more will come. Hehe thats why you should cancel it! Whatever, don't be a hermit. Kiddo likes the hermit crabs from the store. We'd probably kill it. Plus we have too many animals as it is. I never thought the fish would live so long. Esp with two cats. I really don't like the new cat. I never should have agreed to take it in. She isn't BAD really, just picks on my other cat a lot.

*Here I actually came up for air... the thought process ran itself through I guess*

Its so quiet... feels like a Monday. Plus my coworker has quit hammering on shit now at his desk. I should turn on my ipod. I wonder if Chuck will be back on in the fall. I like that show. Plus Chuck knows Kung FUUUUU! Ahahahaha! I wonder how well he'll do with it in the acting. I should get my next Kung Fu belt tests out of the way. I'm so bored with the one I'm on. So funny he didn't think I'd ever actually come in and sign up. I miss working at the car lot. I wonder what J is up to. I should text him. Did I pay the phone bill yet?

** The End **

Re-reading through my own post compared to yours, I notice a lot more 'gaps' that probably don't make as much sense to an outsider that yours didn't really have. This may be a big difference between Ne and Ni with the 'reality touchbacks' that Ne does compared to the leaps of the Ni world.

I'm going to re-copy my paragraphs below this with the gaps filled in a little so maybe we can better see the area where the leaps are made... I'll put them in bold.

Blahhh. 2:45. I have ... an hour and 45 minutes left until I can leave for the day. Am I on support today? No that was yesterday, good. I don't want to stay again. Traffic sucked yesterday. They should fix the stupid roads around here and it probably wouldn't be so bad. During the school year it will get worse. That and when the sun starts setting at rush hour time. (I've previously concluded that traffic is always worse when the sun setting coincides with the normal rush-hour because people like construction workers etc are all getting off work as well as the normal 9-5 ers) Gawd I love summer! Those guys are hot. (The construction workers!) Its not so hot today, we should go swimming. Crap! Dog obedience class. (Is tonight, so I can't go swimming) Wonder if I can sign the kid up ha! She does need to go with me... and she'll need dinner. I'm full from lunch. Friday is going to be interesting (I have invited some ex employees to meet up with a bunch of us at work on Friday for a kind of reunion lunch) and I STILL need to talk to him first so there isn't trouble. Him being the boss who isn't invited but thinks he is... ack! I can't forget to call the restaurant too with a number. How many will we be? I dont even know who all is coming yet. How do I get into these things? I shouldn't be in charge of social events and yet I still invite people to things. Maybe I shouldn't do the pool party this year... but its just starting to become a tradition and probably more will come. Hehe thats why you should cancel it! Whatever, don't be a hermit. Ohhh, enter the 'inner voices' LOL Kiddo likes the hermit crabs from the store. We'd probably kill it. Plus we have too many animals as it is. I never thought the fish would live so long. Esp with two cats. I really don't like the new cat. I never should have agreed to take it in. She isn't BAD really, just picks on my other cat a lot.

*Here I actually came up for air... the thought process ran itself through I guess*

Its so quiet... feels like a Monday. Plus my coworker has quit hammering on shit now at his desk. I should turn on my ipod. The iPod is named 'Chuck' I wonder if Chuck will be back on in the fall. I like that show. Plus Chuck knows Kung FUUUUU! Ahahahaha! I wonder how well he'll do with it in the acting. I should get my next Kung Fu belt tests out of the way. I'm so bored with the one I'm on. So funny he didn't think I'd ever actually come in and sign up. My instructor used to be a customer of ours at the car lot where I used to work and we would always talk about me some day joining up I miss working at the car lot. I wonder what J is up to. One of the people from the car lot I should text him. Did I pay the phone bill yet?

VagrantFarce

I can't see any behavioural difference between the Ne post and the Ni post. I was led to believe that Ni was an immediate synthesis of general patterns over time leading to bizaare, sudden "insights", as opposed to a constant thread of thought feeding itself. Or maybe they're just the same thing and I'm confusing myself. >.>

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well.. the thing that struck me was that there were fewer 'input' places from the 'outer world' in my thought process than there were in the other. More of the other thought chain seemed to bounce off of physical things around the person whereas mine were built on previous observations I'd come to, memories, etc.

Edit: Also... mine doesn't seem to make much 'sense' without the bolded parts to clarify. The jumps were less linear and obvious.