• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Are INTJs Sometimes Confused As Extraverts?

Usehername

On a mission
This is true for me, and I've heard it mentioned multiple times. But I've never seen any good reasoning as to why they are sometimes perceived this way. I'm not shy at all and can be quite energetic and even loud around friends. I just really like alone time.

Ideas?

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
It depends on the subject matter.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Many INTJs are very confident. Some people view all introverts as just shy. Some people might confuse that confidence with extroversion?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
When we are around our close friends, we may as well be extraverts. Otherwise, we are just good at faking it (assuming you have put any effort at all into it).

ygolo

My termites win
I think, sometimes, confidence can be misconstrued as extroversion. INTJs probably the most confident INs (speaking in broad generalities).

I think the "Chart-the-Course" introverts (INTJ, INFJ, ISTP, ISTJ) are generally seen as more confident (because they're more directive) than the "Behind-the-Scenes" introverts (INTP, INFP, ISFP, ISFJ).

Again, basing this of my "book-based" intuition FWIW.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
INFJ's are sometimes confused for extraverts too.

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world.
INFJ Profile

It says here that it is a product of the Feeling function, but I think more specifically it has to do with how Ni interacts with Fe (or in the case of INTJ's how Ni interacts with Te). When an INTJ has a goal in mind I believe that it can really energize them to the point that it makes them appear to be extraverts. INFJ's are a bit different in that I think their "extraversion" shows whenever they are in a social situation where they feel comfortable. There may be some crossover between the two types as well since they are so similar.

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the reason for INTJs often being perceived as extroverts is that what the world around them gets to see is plain old Te. The aggressiveness and the cynical sense of humor which can go along with it, may seem like extroversion to those more reserved. In addition to that, some INTJs have been known to have a certain tendency to give orders to the folks around them...;)

The Ni part mostly happens in solitude, so people do not notice much about it.

Usehername

On a mission
INFJ's are sometimes confused for extraverts too.

INFJ Profile

It says here that it is a product of the Feeling function, but I think more specifically it has to do with how Ni interacts with Fe (or in the case of INTJ's how Ni interacts with Te). When an INTJ has a goal in mind I believe that it can really energize them to the point that it makes them appear to be extraverts. INFJ's are a bit different in that I think their "extraversion" shows whenever they are in a social situation where they feel comfortable. There may be some crossover between the two types as well since they are so similar.

That's a good point. I do that a lot. And I'm not shy in recruiting help, either.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is true for me, and I've heard it mentioned multiple times. But I've never seen any good reasoning as to why they are sometimes perceived this way. I'm not shy at all and can be quite energetic and even loud around friends. I just really like alone time.

Ideas?

I think it's a fallacy to equate energy and, particularly, loudness with extraversion.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree, but it isn't entirely bad to use it to measure the appearance of extraversion.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree, but it isn't entirely bad to use it to measure the appearance of extraversion.

If you would argue that being loud and "energetic" makes you appear to be extraverted, by association you believe these to be traits typical of extraverts.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Not just INTJs, but all introverted types that use "Chart the Course" interaction style, to include INTJ, INFJ, ISTP and ISTJ. I get confused as extravert by those who do not know me well. My immediately family will tell people that I am a hardcore introvert.

I referenced to this on another thread regarding extraverts being mistyped as introverts. It's my theory, based on the interaction styles, that all "Behind the Scenes types (INTP, INFP, ISFP and ISFJ) are the true introverts whereas "Chart the Course" types are introverts mistyped as extraverts for those who do not know them well. "Get Things Going" types (ENTP, ENFP, ESFP and ESFJ) extraverts who may be confused as introverts and "In Charge" types (ENTJ, ENFJ, ESTP and ESTJ) are the true extraverts.

The Get Things Going and In Charge types may be reversed, however I think much of it has to do with the need to control information (Behind the Scenes and In Charge) vs the need for movement (Chart the Course and Get Things Going), but could as well be the directing (In Charge and Chart the Course styles) vs informing (Get Things Going and Behind the Scenes) communication styles.

MBTI Type
ENTP
If INTJs appear more E than INTPs, I think it's less to do with the fact that Te is their secondary function (for INTPs it's Ne, Te isn't more extroverted than Ne. that's silly) and more to do with the fact that Ti isn't their dominant function. INTPs are more likely to find objections to socializing. I know I do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If INTJs appear more E than INTPs, I think it's less to do with the fact that Te is their secondary function (for INTPs it's Ne, Te isn't more extroverted than Ne. that's silly) and more to do with the fact that Ti isn't their dominant function. INTPs are more likely to find objections to socializing. I know I do.

I have seen that -- where INTJs can socialize much better and move confidently through the social situation, where INTPs would rather just not be bothered and sometimes find it uncomfortable.

I don't know if it also involves personal confidence. INTJs seem to have no problem asserting themselves in a conversation, whereas INTPs are always feeling things out and feeling as if they will step into an emotional landmine if they say something wrong.

Usehername

On a mission
That made me realize something.

I had sort of assumed that I censor everything through my head, but that's not always true. WHen i'm in a great discussion, I totally ditch the censoring (and the filter for offending others/saying inappropriate things) in favor of devoting all my cognitive resources to discovering what I'm trying to discover.

I've never seen an INTP do that. They do always seem to have filters on. Ti, I suppose. That makes sense.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you would argue that being loud and "energetic" makes you appear to be extraverted, by association you believe these to be traits typical of extraverts.

It may not always be the case, but I would say that it generally is true (in my experience). On top of which, it's difficult to measure someone's "appearance" of getting energy from being around people rather than being by themselves.

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
For me, it's all about comfort and/or confidence. If it's a subject I know a great deal about, it's hard to shut me up. I am a generally open and chatty person when it comes to the superficial, but very few people know the real me. Therefore, people who don't know me well tend to think of me as being more extraverted than I really am, and then get annoyed when they hit the "brick wall" of privacy I have about the non-superficial.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never seen an INTP do that. They do always seem to have filters on. Ti, I suppose. That makes sense.

Actually, Ti and Ne are most apt to get an INTP in trouble. (When they start acting like ENTPs and using Ne everywhere, it is very easy for them to get carried away with their creative wit and end up upsetting people. And when Ti comes out in a conversation, the way it can offend people is by being very impersonal about things that some people think should be VERY personal.)

I think it is mostly a lack of good "feeling sense." INTJs do tend to not censor their thoughts as much, once they get going; and they also have Fi as their tertiary, which guides them a little on the "personal" level. But poor INTPs are left up the creek, with only Fe as an inferior function to help them relate on a personal level with others.

Usually it is easier to just avoid conversations altogether, except with those who are either funny/witty (the Ne thing) or very intellectual (the Ti) thing. Note that for a long time in life, INTP discussions will revolve around something zany/quirky (Ne) or something where they are discussing intellectual things or the philosophical nature of things. Both of these are impersonal topics.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Actually, Ti and Ne are most apt to get an INTP in trouble. (When they start acting like ENTPs and using Ne everywhere, it is very easy for them to get carried away with their creative wit and end up upsetting people. And when Ti comes out in a conversation, the way it can offend people is by being very impersonal about things that some people think should be VERY personal.)

I think it is mostly a lack of good "feeling sense." INTJs do tend to not censor their thoughts as much, once they get going; and they also have Fi as their tertiary, which guides them a little on the "personal" level. But poor INTPs are left up the creek, with only Fe as an inferior function to help them relate on a personal level with others.

Usually it is easier to just avoid conversations altogether, except with those who are either funny/witty (the Ne thing) or very intellectual (the Ti) thing. Note that for a long time in life, INTP discussions will revolve around something zany/quirky (Ne) or something where they are discussing intellectual things or the philosophical nature of things. Both of these are impersonal topics.

Yikes, I couldn't agree with that more! Good explanation.

On an unrelated note to Jennifer: I'm curious to know what you scored on each preference, percentagewise. You have a writing style reminiscent of an INFP's, yet the thought pattern of a well-balanced INTP. I find that intriguing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On an unrelated note to Jennifer: I'm curious to know what you scored on each preference, percentagewise. You have a writing style reminiscent of an INFP, yet the thought pattern of a well-balanced INTP. I find that intriguing.

:)

Yes, I confuse a great number of people -- there have been a few debates about my T/F line (and I notice that you are an INxP, similarly, which might be why it was so noticeable to you).

On all conventional MBTI online tests (where you are simply picking between T/F options), I always score INTP.

On the Berens function test, my scores were as follows:
Ti - 49.2
Ne - 42.2
Ni - 38
Fe - 29.8
Fi - 28.5
Te - 21.7
Si - 19.5
Se - 11.5
Which scores INTP.

On the MMDI which I just discovered yesterday, my function scores were:
Ni - 28
Fi - 26
Ne - 22
Ti - 19
Fe - 16
Si - 13
Te - 9
Se - 7
That test (for the first time I've seen) typed me as an INFx.

JivinJeff suggests that one's type around the ages of 10-15 probably is most indicative, before one develops the typical social guises. I was INTP in my approach to life; but I was very very isolated and lonely, and this came out both in writing and in music where I was seeking for those "intimate" feelings and looking for some sort of emotional connection.

Which I think is why I developed this very introspective "Jane Eyre" or autobiographical/personal writing/artistic style, but it is all processed through a T filter. I learned to socialize through my writing.

So I look much more F than many T's in how I relate and describe things and try to connect with people, but I still make my decisions about life through T sensibilities rather than F ones, and do not have a strong inner sense of values; my criteria tends to be external, like a T's.