• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type xxxx - Does It Exist?

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I've been wondering about this for a while now and had dismissed it as impossible until I saw targo's signature...

So, here's my question: Is it possible to be 50/50 split between ISTJ/ENFP (or equally split on all the scales)? Does such a type/person exist? Has anyone ever met one?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've met people who are hard to type, but even with them you can usually nail down a letter or two. In fact I can easily type myself as xNxP, but ENTP is the closest description.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
XXXX? Is that a new movie rating? Wow! That movies with that rating must be really explicit!!!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ransomed, like Laser says, you can usually figure out at least one or two letters for the majority of people. Usually people get stuck on either T/F or S/N, although any of the function pairs can be ambiguous.

One notable thing that happens when people age is that they become more well-rounded. I find it easier to type teenagers and young adults, but older people are starting to show signs of multiple functions and they can change what they use depending on the appropriateness of the situation rather than constantly relying on their primary or secondary to get them through.

This makes them harder to type... but that is actually a positive thing.

In our type arguments, there seems to be a LOT of debate about larger-than-life historical figures. At the positive end, you have someone like Jesus who used all of his functions seemingly well. At the negative end, you have (sigh) Hitler... I hate bringing him into it, but people argue incessantly about his type as well, leaving one to want to throw her hands up in the air and go do something fun (like eating Ben N' Jerry's? hmmmm....)

And then you have people like Uber, who deserve a category all to themselves, but anyhoo.... :)

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I picture God/Jesus as having the perfect combination of all types (as in evenly split between them all). But for humans, I think if you had all 8 options evenly distributed I would think you'd be a terribly conflicted and indecisive person.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've been wondering about this for a while now and had dismissed it as impossible until I saw targo's signature...

So, here's my question: Is it possible to be 50/50 split between ISTJ/ENFP (or equally split on all the scales)? Does such a type/person exist? Has anyone ever met one?

Not difficult at all. Little variance at the test answers every time you take it, with parameters close to middle, sure. I once had 2,3, then finally 4 type preference reversals at a hard point in my life and I was baffled. I recall it was from ENFJ to ISTP. I thought at that time that it was senseless to pay attention to such wildly changing results and that it was actually think what was going on in my life. As a Keirseyan, the change from N to S surprised me the most.

I tested at changing types at one later moment in life, as well, which was a happy one. I considered my results as EXXX, but didn't mind it. I was the least bit introspective at that time, too busy having a happy life, when a new kind of life situation offered me free time, more money, happiness and all such. Self-analysis was kind of forgotten. I guess I was very motivated and felt myself successfull at that time, and did everything quite balancedly.. with the exception of being over-extraverted, perhaps.

I think I mixed past, present, real and ideal in my MBTI answers at those times of change.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I picture God/Jesus as having the perfect combination of all types (as in evenly split between them all). But for humans, I think if you had all 8 options evenly distributed I would think you'd be a terribly conflicted and indecisive person.

Younger in life, definitely, that is what happens. The child/teen would be terribly conflicted, because they never even first established a sense of self and how to process things to reach a decision.

Usually if the functions are acquired by experience and are being manifested in an older person who developed functions normally, though, the adult can perceive a situation and make choices on how to proceed. Most adults though do not have the time to fully develop everything and will remain notably weak in a few, or still focus on just a few.

MadamI'madaM

MBTI Type
I always thought xxxx meant that the types are unknown, because the free tests are so flawed

but i guess it's the perfectly rounded personality

learn something everyday

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Why would the person be indecisive? Wouldn't that person be a P, then? I see XXXX as having a balanced approach, rather than conflicted.

I'm somewhat like Laser in that I know I'm xNxP. I'm pretty balanced between E/I and F/T, but the ENFP description fits me the best.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always thought xxxx meant that the types are unknown, because the free tests are so flawed

Actually, you're right about the connotation. People normally use "xxxx" to mean:

- "I don't know my type."
- "I don't even know what a type is."
- "I keep getting different results for my type."
- "I don't want to be put in a box."

Other people just insert a random four-letter word, as they see fit.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Why would the person be indecisive? Wouldn't that person be a P, then? I see XXXX as having a balanced approach, rather than conflicted.

I'm somewhat like Laser in that I know I'm xNxP. I'm pretty balanced between E/I and F/T, but the ENFP description fits me the best.

Well, I don't really think the E/I difference would be a big deal, but for the other 6 funtctions, I think those have more to do with your decision-making and how you perceive the world. Yes, you might be able to see all sides of an issue or problem better than others, but when it came down to actually making a decision I would imagine that the person would be going back and forth a lot trying to decide which side to follow and weighing the pros and cons.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well, I don't really think the E/I difference would be a big deal, but for the other 6 funtctions, I think those have more to do with your decision-making and how you perceive the world. Yes, you might be able to see all sides of an issue or problem better than others, but when it came down to actually making a decision I would imagine that the person would be going back and forth a lot trying to decide which side to follow and weighing the pros and cons.
Why would they be any more indecisive than anyone else? It's not like you use every function for every situation. I don't see an XXXX as someone who tries to use all 8 functions (Ne/Ni/Fe/etc) at the same time, in every situation. They'll favor certain functions, depending on the situation.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yes, you might be able to see all sides of an issue or problem better than others, but when it came down to actually making a decision I would imagine that the person would be going back and forth a lot trying to decide which side to follow and weighing the pros and cons.
I've only experienced rapidly changing preferences as negative, and constantly near 50-50 ties as positive. Changing preferences made me doubt be previous decisions and anxious of my current integrity.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do believe that everyone, even well-rounded persons, have a dominant function.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
xxx, but perhaps xx.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Originally Posted by MadamI'madaM

What I meant by the notation was that perhaps the types were unknown because they broke even.