• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What group do you identify with?

Which group do you identify with?

• Casual

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • Roughneck

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Elitist

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Craftsmen

Votes: 9 8.6%

• Total voters

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm curious to see which group people identify with out of these four. They're more commonly known as something else, but I'm renaming them to avoid bias.

Group 1 - Casuals said:
Casuals try to create a comfortable and pleasant group atmosphere, in the emotional, sensorial, and intellectual aspects. An ideal Casual group situation is the exchange of light-hearted jokes while discussing novel concepts, all while enjoying pleasant food and drink. Narrating personal experiences usually takes the form of telling a joke; funny and unusual personal experiences are preferred over serious and banal ones. Overly boring or repetitive activities are minimized as much as possible;

Casuals prefer activities that require creativity and have lots of potential for personal development. They avoid generating "heavy" moments; any dramatic expressions are limited in time, most often in service of a joke. Casuals are also perhaps the most likely types to participate in use of mind-altering substances.

Casual discussions tend to go off on tangents, in whatever direction seems most interesting at the moment. Unusual personal observations are common, resulting from the analysis of the idiosyncrasies or inconsistencies of everyday life. If many in the group share the same observations, they are likely to express their agreement emphatically, so as to create a kind of mental harmony which enhances the group dynamic. If a new problem is encountered, it is discussed and developed until some kind of satisfactory conclusion is reached.

Casuals make no distinction between "insiders" and "outsiders", easily drawing people into a conversation once it has begun — though they tend to just as easily withdraw if the person is not receptive. Likewise, they prefer to have the same behavior at work as at play; they find formal speech and dress to be unnecessarily limiting, and it is a common object of ridicule. Casuals dislike the idea that there are alterior motives going on "behind the scenes", preferring to keep things as open and straightforward as possible.

Group 2 - Roughnecks said:
Preference for larger groups where participation is "collective" rather than focused on individuals for any length of time, but with likely "domination" by more assertive individuals. This means that Roughneck groups discuss topics that everyone could contribute to. Frequent unexplained inside jokes are considered impolite because they exclude other people. Jokes are loud and general, often about stereotypes. Roughnecks attempt to draw others into the group activity: for example, in a situation where there are "group rituals" going on (as in drinking, dancing, etc), there is good-natured pressure on "outsiders" to also participate in them, with a sort of puzzled dismay if they prefer not to. They also try to draw attention to people who might otherwise feel left out - usually this is done with general jokes directed at individuals.

In more subdued moments, discussion of ideas involving present trends and political implications, with strong views voiced. Personal experiences tend to be discussed from the point of view of their external impact rather than the individual's own personal view of them. When larger social events are organized by Roughnecks (such as parties, receptions etc), they show an inclination to promote activities that will lead to the guests involved as a single group, such as games and shows; dislike for the "quieter" form of events where guests tend to quietly form smaller groups in more intimate atmospheres, which Roughnecks tend to see as boring.

For Roughnecks atmosphere is more important than specific activity or topic. Groups of Roughnecks spend time together to entertain each other. They exchange fun (and often loud) stories to feed the atmosphere, so that the group energy won't run out. People talk fast and they often add comments to other people's stories if they feel that the pace is slowing down. When someone starts to talk, he takes on the obligation to entertain for the duration of the monologue and, in a friendly group, other people only interrupt to try and help him keep control of the atmosphere.

Talking about personal matters in a group is not something that Roughnecks generally do. It's viewed almost as treachery when something that was told in a one-on-one conversation is retold in front of a group, or when someone criticizes another person's traits in front of the group. Roughnecks believe such things should be told in private and should not be used to embarrass or belittle a friend.

Roughnecks also don't like it when people tell long, slow stories. Roughnecks try to be polite and listen to the story, and they will forgive you if it was boring for them, but if someone does it too often they might not be invited back. Roughnecks restrict long-winded stories to one-on-one conversations.

[QUOTE="Group 3 - Elitists]Groups made up of primarily Elitist types tend to be small in size; perhaps 6 at most. Laughter and very obvious displays of emotion are subdued, instead, there is a lot of smiling, amusement with ironic and witty remarks or, when serious subjects or not very happy personal experiences are discussed, a serious demeanour. Even such small groups tend to split into smaller ones; perhaps 3 is the ideal "group" size for Elitists.

Group discussions are focused on exchange of information and ideas on subjects of mutual interest, discussing and planning activities together, or on personal experiences. The latter are usually discussed not with the purpose of making people laugh or to boast one's position but to get an insight into the lessons to be drawn from such experiences. Elitists usually dislike being "drawn" into larger groups where loud exchanges of jokes and quick shifting of one subject to the other are the norm, as in a large dinner table in an informal environment, especially if the group is also somewhat "artificial" as in work colleagues or business partners where personal relationships weren't really spontaneously formed.

In such situations, Elitists will tend to focus on the persons sitting immediately near them in order to engage them in more individual conversations or will tend to remain mostly silent, not really participating in the group atmosphere, making the impression of being "introverts" in the everyday meaning of the term. Once a group is formed, it tends to be wary for some time of "newcomers", being neither exclusive nor inclusive on purpose.

Conversations often focus on trends regarding material and yet personal issues, such as career prospects and developments, success or failure of financial investments and enterprises, and the future prospects of romantic relationships, as well as the reasons for the failure of past ones. In more light-hearted moments, such talks get a "bawdy" flavor with some slight teasing. Other subjects tend to focus on internal work politics from the point of view of how it jeopardizes general efficiency, the nonsense of bureaucracy, and how to be better than competitors.
[/QUOTE]

Group 4 - Craftsmen said:
Groups made up of primarily Craftsmen types tend to be focused on working on projects, enjoying physical recreation, or finding out interesting things about each other. Laughter is usually subdued and brief; instead, people smile a lot and try to be witty and welcoming.

Groups need to be focused on some specific productive activity or topic of discussion, or else they fall apart. In Craftsmen groups, there is a lot of splintering and decentralization. This allows for more focused and productive interaction with only those who share your particular interests or sentiments.

People jump from small group to small group easily to keep up their interest level. No one demands that the entire group listen to one person or that everyone do the same thing.

Craftsmen types believe that if everyone just pursues their own interests and makes some accommodations for others, the group will be better off anyway. Craftsmen types do not focus on building group identity or unity of purpose, but prefer for the group to remain splintered and decentralized.

Which one are YOU? ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I voted before I read the descriptions :doh:

-1 Casual +1 Craftsmen

heart

heart on fire
Maybe Casual but where heavy moments are allowed? Otherwise I don't fit with any of the described groups.

I can't say elitist because I'd find most of what is listed for disucssion topics deadly boring except for the relationship talk. But I don't want to talk about nothing but relationships. Would like to talk about psychology stuff and literature stuff. Novel topics from the news. "resulting from the analysis of the idiosyncrasies or inconsistencies of everyday life" yes, this also very interesting to talk about, this mostly what I talk about with my friends.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Elitists all the way. It describes my manner of interaction well.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe Casual but where heavy moments are allowed? Otherwise I don't fit with any of the described groups.

I think it means more that heavy moments don't tend to happen a lot or don't last long, not that they aren't allowed or can't happen. Just more that the "atmosphere" doesn't lend itself to them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think it means more that heavy moments don't tend to happen a lot or don't last long, not that they aren't allowed or can't happen. Just more that the "atmosphere" doesn't lend itself to them.

To put atmosphre in braces I think is a grave faux pas

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6

Same for me. I'm a combination of the casual and a little bit of the elitist. I like the small and smaller groups of the elitist but why be so serious. :cheese:

heart

heart on fire
Same for me. I'm a combination of the casual and a little bit of the elitist. I like the small and smaller groups of the elitist but why be so serious. :cheese:

And goodness I don't want to sit around and talk about office politics, projects from work or the performance of some financial fund. It's bad enought to have to deal with those things, but if I'm on my own time and relaxing I want to forget about them.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL. I can really see that for you. ;)

Really? Why?

I just can't do small talk very well. Banter and jokes are okay to a point, but after some time it becomes wasteful because there is no "meat." It's like living on candy and sweets.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Really? Why?

I just can't do small talk very well. Banter and jokes are okay to a point, but after some time it becomes wasteful because there is no "meat." It's like living on candy and sweets.

Well, because you give off this "strong, self-confident" vibe I'd tend to associate with that group of people. Yes, I can understand wanting more substantial conversation after a certain point.

Anyway... my theory is that the majority of the forum population consists of Casuals (with Craftsmen as a close second), if anyone is curious.

heart

heart on fire
I don't like small talk with strangers but I'll talk nonsense, banter and laugh with my closest friends, we engage in a lot of dark humor about life.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
For me:

Casual
Craftsman
Elitist
Roughtneck

Though, I'm not cliquish as a matter of principle.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

Well I dont like it. I admit there are different people, who share a different understanding of atmosphere. But if you call something to have an atmosphere, it is you who admits that you enjoy the party.

And I dont like people who say about people that they do something, which makes them not to like people, which of course includes myself.

I think, if you have to talk that way, you still havent grown up (what is no bad thing, noone was born grown up. But should be remembered)

wolfy

awsm
Craftsman. I like to get to know people through shared activity. Not group activity. Individuals with shared interest.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd have to say the closest one is elitist for me, but w/o the competitive bit. I rather dislike elitism as a whole and don't care for projecting an image, so I don't really fit with any of the groups. That aspect of it wearies my bones. Can't there just be a small group that talks about interesting things for the sake of it and not worried about their careers? Is there a nerd group? I think I'd go for that one first. I like reading the description of the casual group, but I don't join in funny banter with people I don't know. I'm easily struck funny, but am not often the creator of funny (at least not on purpose).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am just hoping your need for grouping doesnt get you in distress some day. I hope you will find the one, who spares you the world before that :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
For me:

Casual
Craftsman
Elitist
Roughtneck

Though, I'm not cliquish as a matter of principle.

I'm surprised that your choices almost mirrored mine. :shock:

I'd agree that I'm not particuarly cliquish on purpose, though I admit to being clique-avoidant when it comes to Roughnecks. I end up keeping myself away from a lot of enjoyable and interesting people/activities, because I'm so ridiculously terrified of running into that particular clique and its values (due to bad experiences with them). The rest of them I can usually deal with or relate to on some level. I don't know why, exactly.