• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Important points to remember regarding MBTI

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The MBTI detects categories of preferences rather than measuring how much of a trait one exhibits. The type pattern exists as a whole, and the MBTI code points to the pattern rather than a combination of independent preferences. However, in actual use of the MBTI, these preferences have often been described by many as if they are measurable traits and as if they can be combined to produce a “type.” Now, after over twenty-five years of use, most expert MBTI users are realizing the unintended consequences of using the instrument in that way.

n looking at how temperament relates to the MBTI, it is important to remember that the results of any instrument are just an artificial snapshot in time. Also, an instrument is not the theory. The results of an instrument are neither the whole of a theory nor the whole of a personality. This is why ethical and competent users of the MBTI follow the face-to-face feedback standards of self-selection and validation by the client. One must not assume the results of the MBTI (or any other instrument) are one-hundred percent accurate. They must always be validated through an exploratory process such as we describe for temperament in this book.

The MBTI instrument was designed to “indicate,” not measure, and is best used as a data point to guide you in a direction. It is not meant to be used as a “test-and-tell” method of discovering your best-fit type pattern. A process of self-discovery is always recommended to clarify your best-fit type pattern.

Relationship of Temperament to Jung's Types and to the MBTI

Add some of your own clarifications if you'd like, people seem to be missing these points a lot.

wolfy

awsm
Interesting article. It gets muddled when systems are mixed.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I still don't see the distinction between MBTI code and "type".

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I still don't see the distinction between MBTI code and "type".

Well as far as I know the theory goes that there are only sixteen types, and those types have a set cognitive function order. So say for INTP, the "type" is perhaps better termed as "The Architect" or something like that and it's description will be based on how Ti followed by Ne, then Si, then Fe etc. all combine into that "type", they exist as a whole and can't be chopped and changed. So an X or hybrid or ambivert makes no sense within the theory.

So the code is a tool to try and guide you towards your type. If you score as an INTP, then it is likely that the "whole type" (Architect, unique combination of Ti, Ne, Si, Fe) will be a good fit for you. The code is only a guide though, if you focus too much on the preferences (T, F, S, N etc.) you could mislead yourself, when really what you should be looking for is your primary processes, and how they combine as a whole. The code is therefore best left to the test, beyond that you need to look at processes and not just individual processes but how they combine and interact as a whole "type".

If you get stuck trying to figure out if you're a T or an F etc. you need to step back and look at the type as a whole and which fits you best.

This of course is just my understanding I could be completely wrong.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i've always know this.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So there's no such thing as T or F, only INTP? Is it like how Chloride acts all crazy by itself, but when its bound with Sodium its normal?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well as far as I know the theory goes that there are only sixteen types, and those types have a set cognitive function order.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I think the bolded part is bunk. You've inspired me to be one of those people that puts functional shorthand in my signature, just to serve as a reminder that I disagree with that idea.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I think the bolded part is bunk. You've inspired me to be one of those people that puts functional shorthand in my signature, just to serve as a reminder that I disagree with that idea.

It is interesting, I've never come across an explanation as to why the functions are supposed to be in set orders. I suppose Jung first recognised the sixteen patterns and then drew his conclusions from the patterns, rather than recognising the functions solely.

From Wikipedia:
Jung theorized that whichever function dominates consciousness its opposite function is repressed and will characterize unconscious behavior.

So there is the start of the order, if Fi is your first concious function then Fe must be your fifth (first of the unconcious shadow?). Then the order continues by differing between judging and perceiving, it kind of makes sense for a perceiving function to follow a judging function.

So Fi is the opposite of Fe, yet MBTI tries to determine them as a group?

When it comes to a function order like yours I would be tempted to explain the differences away throuhg things like you live in a sensing dominant culture so you recognise your Si more than your Ni etc. The problem is, when you start finding all sorts of explanations to try and make sure you fit the type then you're getting into BS astrology territory, where you can explain away any difference from your sign by all sorts of vague factors.

I'm not sure if I actually have a point to this...

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
MBTI thing I've noticed: S's often take forever to do the test, and hae toget things explaiend to them by some guy who ends up being INFP. (True story.)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI thing I've noticed: S's often take forever to do the test, and hae toget things explaiend to them by some guy who ends up being INFP. (True story.)

One thing I've noticed: You really really REALLY hate sensors for no good reason. Plus pretty much any type of person whom you've met one of and disliked. You're in high school... People are gonna be immature. Get over your hate and realize this- an important thing to remember about MBTI- every type, every person is equal.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some of the most brilliant people I know are Ss. Esses aren't really that bad if you appreciate their abilities and complement them with yours.

Openness is the key. And if they are asking a lot of questions, it's probably because they are interested and 'want to do it right.' So that is probably a good sign.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I'd say the most important thing is to remember that the types indicate trends and cognitive processes, and that not only is there variation among the types, there are also a lifetime's worth of experiential effects on cognitive processes, not to mention the various complexes people build up about themselves.

Just because you see someone writing with their right hand, it doesn't mean they're not left-handed. They could very well have had a long progression of strict teachers.

Jaguar

One thing I've noticed: You really really REALLY hate sensors for no good reason. Plus pretty much any type of person whom you've met one of and disliked. You're in high school... People are gonna be immature. Get over your hate and realize this- an important thing to remember about MBTI- every type, every person is equal.

Many people fall closer to the center of S and N.
I value both S and N, greatly.

Furthermore, by claiming N as a conscious preference, doesn't mean one is intuitive.
That's right, it really doesn't.

What one prefers, is not necessarily what one actually is.
There are probably "sensors" who are infinitely more intuitive,
than many who claim intuition as their MBTI preference.
To not know why that's true,
would mean someone knows nothing of their fellow man:
the conscious and unconscious aspects of SELF.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many people fall closer to the center of S and N.
I value both S and N, greatly.

Furthermore, by claiming N as a conscious preference, doesn't mean one is intuitive.
That's right, it really doesn't.

What one prefers, is not necessarily what one actually is.
There are probably "sensors" who are infinitely more intuitive,
than many who claim intuition as their MBTI preference.
To not know why that's true,
would mean someone knows nothing of their fellow man:
the conscious and unconscious aspects of SELF.

The word "prefer" is kind of confusing here. I think it means "what functions do your mind default to", as opposed to "what functions do you like best". However, when people take a test, they might choose based on the latter. I read somewhere that people can test the type they would be attracted to or admire most, as opposed to who they really are.

Jaguar

I read somewhere that people can test the type they would be attracted to or admire most, as opposed to who they really are.

I assume many do that.
I don't give much weight to the types people claim to be.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
True story: I finished my MBTI first, then an INFJ chick, then some of the ESTP guys ran overtime, and they had to talk to figure out what their answers would be. Most people took 45 min on the test.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
True story: I finished my MBTI first, then an INFJ chick, then some of the ESTP guys ran overtime, and they had to talk to figure out what their answers would be. Most people took 45 min on the test.

Great .. good for them ..

Rule of thumb for myself, get in, get it done, get the fook out. ;)

G

garbage

Maybe you're just a completely unbalanced and immature INTP who didn't really have to think about any of the questions because you've never run into situations where you had to exercise your opposite traits, and these people you criticize have much, much more depth than you do?

I dunno. Just a possibility.