• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which mbti-function is this?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
You have a problem to solve or you want to reach a goal.
So, you start research with no attention to understand the process, but a random method and you immediately locate clues and connections with multiple informations, from particular to general you create a big picture and the combination drive you to the final point.

A stupid generic example: you use a linux OS and you don't know it very well.
you have a problem with drivers... You start searching in google with key phrase, and intuitively spot something you don't know well but you "think" it could drive you to another research and so on when finally you see the point for solve the problem.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
S'ok Thursday, most of us Ni users are skilled at using Ne as well. :D

There is some overlap, but actively looking for patterns or connections is more of an external function, so Ne. Ni is more passive, and it skips steps so the answer comes as a flash of inspiration. In the example that the OP gave all the steps are visible, even if they aren't linear, they are still easy to trace. With Ni when you find a solution, you have no idea how you got there.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
OK, thank you!

But how is Ne different if I use it as first function or second?
Do you think my description is more Ne-Ti (ENTP) or Ti-Ne (INTP)? Which the differences in the process?

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
You can't easily tell which is dominant or pinpoint whether you are extroverted or introverted the way you are trying to. You will have to read up on extroversion and introversion to figure out which you are.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd

I can relate more with following statements: Introversion.
But I don't like it very much. It says "Don’t confuse Introversion with shyness or reclusiveness. They are not related", but all statements seems to be the distinction between a solitary person and a people person.
the "mad scientist" emmett brown in "back to the future" probably results introvert if he does this test, but he is typed as entp.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
it's Ne/Ti. Ne itself can not cover the description because there is no judgement.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
the "mad scientist" emmett brown in "back to the future" probably results introvert if he does this test, but he is typed as entp.

Emmet Brown is 1000% ENTP. Most ENTPs I know are not as verbal as he is. If anything about him seems dominantly Introverted to you, I'm not sure you've totally grasped introversion vs. extroversion in MBTI terms. Even though it is a typical factor, let's take connection with people out of the equation for a moment. I like these brief definitions better.

Introversion - The attitude of defining the world in relation to the self.
Extroversion - The attitude of defining the self in relation to the world.

That is, an Extrovert measures himself compared to the external. His life is oriented by the outer objects.
An Introvert cannot exist in a world that is not his. So therefore, he must define external things according to his own terms.
An Int

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
OK, thank you!

But how is Ne different if I use it as first function or second?
Do you think my description is more Ne-Ti (ENTP) or Ti-Ne (INTP)? Which the differences in the process?

If you are Ti > Ne, Ne merely acts as a guide for the Ti. The Ti is in control. You will bethinking, about many possibilities.

If you are Ne > Ti, again, Ti is just there to be used on what you define as more important. The "possibilities" stream, and the Ti dips in a little on each one, considering them briefly, until something is really worth considering, when Ti beegins being used heavily.

I can compare this to my relation with INFP poets like Poe. He will describe a room in great detail, like a cellar, and then compare it to something else that would have acquired wear and tear with lack of use. He lists the many reasons that these things are similar. He is Fi > Ne.

If I were to write the same passage, as an Ne > Fi, I would list the five places or things that it is similar to, in meager detail, and expect the reader to derive the connection intuitively.

I assume by this question, you mean "How are the processes different?"

Ne is a "'P'erceptive" function, meaning it is wholly unconscious, and has nothing to do with conscious consideration. This is better explained through another Percieving function, Se. You taste an apple. That's the Se. That's it. This amorphous taste is all you have. Then, you recognize what it tastes like. This transition is nearly seemless, but many philosophers throughout the years have had a field day driving a wedge between these processes. T and F processes are judging, which means that they have nothing to do with perception, only organizing information and making decision. Basically, what we think of as 'conscious thinking.' If one has a 'J' in their MBTI type, then they extrovert this 'conscious thinking,' and since organizing and decision making are excogitated, you can expect these people to be more organized and decision oriented. If one has a 'P' in their code, then their connection with the material world is unconscious, so we see opposite qualities in them.

If you want my opinion on differences between ENTP and INTP, I have found that ENTPs typically like to impress people, and to work on their visions to a great degree, and that seems far from the mind of the INTP - for the INTP, the systems of information are held above all, and it doesn't matter who else reads them or does something about them (though obviously that would be preferable, I think). The INTP is the perfect architect archetype because they design a building, then hand off a sheet of paper to God knows who to work out the further challenges of implementation. He could actually care less if the building even gets built, as long as he knows that his design system is in his opinion satisfactory.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
If you are Ne > Ti, again, Ti is just there to be used on what you define as more important. The "possibilities" stream, and the Ti dips in a little on each one, considering them briefly, until something is really worth considering, when Ti beegins being used heavily.

THIS!! THIS!! Thanks into it.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I would say Ne as well, with Ti for fun (else I could play Ne all day if the Ti didn't make me a l'il bit tired ...) :(

deleted
Yeah, except I don't think that description was referring to the typical MBTI judgement. So just Ne.