• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Teach me to be a J!!!!!!

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I highly recommend the GTD management system. Before you freak out at the thought of reading an organizational book, I promise you it's very Se-friendly. Use your strengths: the desire for instant results (Se). If the issue mainly lies within your anxiety, then a procrastination article would prove more beneficial. For more information, I can point out some quality ones.

Doesn't seem like Se is one of her strongest points.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Doesn't seem like Se is one of her strongest points.

I was skimming over the posts, and didn't recognize the "N" next to her name. So I went back to edit that out. :) Thanks anyway.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Two steps:

1) Stop caring about having an internally consistent viewpoint.
2) Start caring about having your outer world consistently scheduled and organized.

Basically, place external goal completion above internal perspective.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Act like Lauren Ashley. She's the most Judging personality on here.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Act like Lauren Ashley. She's the most Judging personality on here.

:bananallama:

Woot! Yes, I'm probably about 75 J/25 P. However, I can't help with the organization part. I'm pretty unorganized externally.

I find your fixation with me rather curious though, OneWithSoul. It gives me warm fuzzies that you care so much.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
:bananallama:

Woot! Yes, I'm probably about 75 J/25 P. However, I can't help on the organization part.

I find your fixation with me rather curious though, OneWithSoul. It gives me warm fuzzies that you care so much.

You earned some of my respect by not getting pissed off at this. Even if you were being sarcastic..

:)

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I want to be a unicorn! How do I go about doing that? :tongue:

Don't be ridicules. Being J is a state of mind. Think pro-active and then try to be pro-active, and build momentum from there. I'm a hard J so it comes naturally to me, but you can always reward you J-ness when you've checked all things off your list, by indulging your P-ness --

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm sorry to intrude in a subject I haven't read all about.

In my experience, I have been able to train my "J", or in Big 5, "Conscientiousness" by about 15 points per year.

Yes, that's how hard it has been.

I'm now at 50-60 points in the 0-100 scale.

Listen very carefully. Or, read.

-Make a point in knowing what you've striving for. Think about how it affects you. Feel the feeling of getting the results. Let it motivate you.
-See what end result you will accomplish after being more J. Again, imagine the end result for yourself. If the end result will make you stronger, feel strong when you're doing J things. It will motivate you.

I told the same thing twice there. But it was important enough.

-Notice the times when the best progress is not to progress at all. The times when you will keep your fun, your freedom. Remember, J (and conscientuousness) can be a positive factor in your life. If it's not getting those things, wait a time from 2 weeks to 6 months. Not every single factor is going to improve when you get more dutiful.

-Find what's really the most important in your life. If you're young, this is difficult, and your opinion on it will change - and you won't be as exact as you'd be at an older age. Still, if you find what's most important (perhaps 2-5 different things), you'll be able to measure your success in implementing J. But still, have perserverance. J is not for the hasty.

Ask more if needed. I think I'm genuinely 50% J between the J-P spectrum, ok, a bit more J. I think I handle my J/P things okay.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Teach you to be J? Learn to wield your Pness with greater effectiveness! :D

Js focus on goals and are satesfied when the end is met, rather than if what you have to do to meet it is fun.... If I go by that definition then I'm a P! But I'm sure of my INFJness. Weren't INFJs called the most 'P' of the J types?

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Teach you to be J? Learn to wield your Pness with greater effectiveness! :D

Js focus on goals and are satesfied when the end is met, rather than if what you have to do to meet it is fun.... If I go by that definition then I'm a P! But I'm sure of my INFJness. Weren't INFJs called the most 'P' of the J types?

:nice:

Don't try to change your preferences. You'll end up just as frustrated as you were in the OP.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Uhh. People are being shitted upon with the "you cant change" blabbler. Don't believe. It's like a religios dogma. "The 3 are one and the same, yet different."

Change can come.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Uhh. People are being shitted upon with the "you cant change" blabbler. Don't believe. It's like a religios dogma. "The 3 are one and the same, yet different."

Change can come.

Change only as much as you can. For instance, you can change your behavior to match your goals, but changing your core inspirations is more difficult. Will someone with a heavy P preference ever enjoy meeting external deadlines? Or will they be more inclined to do so when it coincides with their values?

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
You can bang your head against a wall until you damage your right side of the brain. You will be more left brained to compensate and voila: you're an ENFJ!

Srsly, this might work. I've seen people change their personalities after accidents with brain damage. People start using the other half of the brain and that changes their personality completely.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
You can bang your head against a wall until you damage your right side of the brain. You will be more left brained to compensate and voila: you're an ENFJ!

Srsly, this might work. I've seen people change their personalities after accidents with brain damage. People start using the other half of the brain and that changes their personality completely.

Actually, a family friend told us the true story of someone she knew who had a severe head injury one day. Prior to the injury, the guy was very friendly and charismatic. After the injury, the guy became mean and aloof. His personality completely transformed.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

If this isn't enough, there are mind-altering substances and psychological traumas. ;)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Change only as much as you can. For instance, you can change your behavior to match your goals, but changing your core inspirations is more difficult. Will someone with a heavy P preference ever enjoy meeting external deadlines? Or will they be more inclined to do so when it coincides with their values?
Under determined decision to develop oneself, one can learn 10-15 points of J per year in my experience.

If I had to learn P, I think that could come 20-30 points per year.

But, this is just my situation.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Under determined decision to develop oneself, one can learn 10-15 points of J per year in my experience.

If I had to learn P, I think that could come 20-30 points per year.

But, this is just my situation.

Agreed. They can slowly strengthen their least preferred (and skilled) functions, as their existing persona permits it. Yet when an upcoming situation demands results within a limited time-frame, they would have to rely on a more individual method to meet the ends.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Change can come.

You can force yourself to exercise non-preferred functions more often and more effectively. It's called discipline, but it will never change which functions you have a preference for--you will always naturally perform better at some types of tasks than others.

So if you're, say, an INFP really trying to work on tertiary Si...you can do exercises to practice Si and improve your Si from what it was, but you can't force yourself to prefer Si over your natural Fi/Ne. You can train weaker functions but you can't decide what you're most talented at; that's all involuntary.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How a P can temporarily become a J

1.Very Strong coffee.

2. Set your alarm for 2:15 AM.

3. Prepare a list the night before.

4. Use all of will power to start on #1 and #2, move into a separate room wit no distractions (if possible to accomplish the tasks preferably away from the internet).

5. Drink at least two cups straight to the head.

6. Begin…no really begin…now!

7. Put yourself in a student cramming for finals head space. Set an imaginary last minute deadline and then again a 2nd and last, last, imaginary last deadline, (with the words next to it: absolutely no more extensions!!!). Once you start obsessing on the job at hand you are on your way. Congatulations you are (for the time being) a J!!!