• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Differ From Your Type?

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
When I'm around females, I turn super-manly and go into "alpha-female" mode. It makes me want to organize things.
i know a female enfp who kind of acts like the "champion" of women when around other women i guess similar to what you're describing.

when she's hanging out w/ mostly guys she basically acts like a guy being just as vulgar or even being more so just for laughs. she's pretty hilarious, one of the few people i'm comfortable being playful with.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I should invite you over to my garage. :yes: That should keep you busy for a while. ;)

:laugh: You have so many females in your garage that you need me to organize them?? Naughty, naughty.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know a female enfp who kind of acts like the "champion" of women when around other women i guess similar to what you're describing.

There we go...that's the term I was looking for.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Generalizations I do not like about INTPs? That we are:
1. Cold / Don't care about people.
2. Don't have emotions / are machines.
3. Don't live in the "real" world.
4. Don't have any "common sense."

To some degree, those things are true about me. They're stereotypes, but they are somewhat rooted in reality, I think.

I differ from INTPs in that, when I'm with people I like, I'm talkative. I still prefer solitude, and my social time is small, I can be somewhat outgoing when I do socialize. This, I think, is the difference between Introversion and shyness.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have had strange test results lately, testing me as I.

If I am INTP, I differ mostly from my tested type by really enjoying public performance and intense action (E-traits?)

If I am ENTP, I differ from my type by spending almost all of the time alone at the moment reading, writing and thinking.

I know and appreciate what's it like to approach life with emotions and values, altho with a partly shattered value system, I tend to T kind of thinking for now.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
:laugh: You have so many females in your garage that you need me to organize them?? Naughty, naughty.

Well, I can't very well keep my harem in the house, now can I? Some of the ladies might escape and let the whole neighborhood know about my secret lesbian proclivities! ;)

lecky

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJs are notorious for being neat and organized yet I am extremely messy/disorganized.

We supposedly don't like people who are "different", but I find quirky/eccentric people to be intriguing. (What I dislike is when people act loud or obnoxious in inappropriate places.)

We are supposed to be traditional when it comes to holidays and domestic roles...not me (although I can see this changing once I have kids of my own). It's just not practical to go through all that trouble at this point in my life ;)

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I probably use Se more than the average INFJ. I blame it on the Se people closest to me. I'm extremely active and a litttttle bit competitive (okay, more than a little bit). I actually don't own a car & ENJOY it because I get at least 3 miles of walking daily out of necessity and I can add that exercise to my normal workouts. I'm a bit health & fitness minded like most Se people I know. However, it's a toss up if Se is driving that or if it's a target of that nasty Ni perfectionism.

I'm totally not manipulative like the INFJ negative stereotype. I'm controlling over myself, but not other people.

Also, and I think this is actually typical of INFJs, I don't feel like I display irrational emotion as readily as most F types. I sometimes get a bit offended at descriptions of a "typical F" because I don't feel it describes me. This may or may not be why my T/F score tends to be close.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I can pretty much say that INFP fits me to a T, however, I am a deep thinker, and I can think quick on my feet. My boss trusts my abilities, thankfully!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Like Jennifer I find myself differing from the type description of an INTP.
I also harbour some discontent with the typical view of an INTP.

I am quite a lot different from the typical expectations of an INTP in that I am social, I have some skill in interaction and I'm not a floating brain with no concept of emotion.

Being a 9 also seems to make a whole hell of a difference in that I'm no where near as likely to get defensive and retreat at 100mph. Probe all you like and all you'll find is answer and questions not some deep dark cave where I hide.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
My husband made the statement just a little while ago that, in his personal opinion, he didn't like the MBTI because he felt like it made too many generalizations or something like that. So, I was wondering... how do you differ from your type? Anything hugely significant? And are there any generalizations about your type that your particularly don't like?
A point counter point eh?

False.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Hmm. I'm not as outgoing as I would like (or appear to be through my writing!). I usually listen, instead of talk. I do have some organisational skills (although they appear only when I really need them). I suck at acting. I also am not comfortable disregarding rules. Oh, and I totally have a stubborn streak.

That's about all. The rest I'm pretty typical ENFP!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, at the risk of being very non-NF (and for what it's worth, I've never read any of the 16 descriptions and had an epiphany where I've said, 'That's 100% me!) and being booted out of the NF camp ;-) -

My 'causes' have never been tied to people and humanity as a whole. I think there are a lot of reasons for why I'm this way, but it would get too convoluted to list out. I've never been an activist for the downtrodden in terms of social issues, and actually largescale social/cultural stuff makes me upset - I don't really like humanity as a whole, and on a grand scale. Large-group dynamics, and moving into a global scale...tend to sicken me. But on the individual level I find I can care and love quite deeply, and whenever I talk one on one with people, I really warm up and feel for everyones' individual plights in this thing called life, and I want to help people once I make that connection and once I start grasping what makes them tick. I want people to be happy and live happy, fulfilling lives. That's how I am with people and with my interactions with people. But it's very 1:1 and personalized, and I don't go out seeking for it -- not giant 'causes' or anything.

But truthfully, my 'cause' is the environment, animals, plants...basically the entire world aside from people. Because this is what is most meaningful to me (well, aside from my personal interactions with friends and family and my own relationships), this trumps everything else.

This also adds an interesting dynamic for me, because it adds a love/hate element for me with regards to humanity - because people (including myself) - all 7 billion plus - are the cause of the destruction of what I most cherish. Animals/plants/everything else, to me, are the ultimate innocent. I'm not sure that it is the 'innocent' aspect that is WHY I value it so much...I'm not sure I can describe WHY, the love and care for it has just always been at the root of my being...so it, rather than people, would be my martyring-aspect. If my death could save the ecosystems and reverse the human 'progress' and unsustainability, I would die.

The people causes seem to be a rather integral component of NF though. And my lack of it was the single reason why years ago I figured there was no way I could be NF.

Just being honest. I suppose I should change my 'type' to Ixxx now? :blush:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've probably gushed my feelings out one too many times for a stero-typical INTP. I'm also much more absolute about right and wrong than most are.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
My major pet peeve with my type description... emphasis on the J... is my inability to stay on tasks very well. I have too many projects and ideas I want to try that I ended up completing very few of them. Easily distracted is more concise descriptor. Also inability to properly prioritize things because they're all interesting/important/related in different ways.

PsychoticPuggle

MBTI Type
INfP
I'm more of a math and science geek than any INFP has a right to be. :nerd: That's all I can think of for now.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm more of a math and science geek than any INFP has a right to be. :nerd: That's all I can think of for now.

My INFP cousin works as an Engineer and graduated from one of the top Engineering schools in the country. We're both Physics nerds, but she totally takes the cake on math geekiness! Don't let the F fool you! :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm either an INFJ with strong Ti or an INTJ with strong Fi. In the larger context of my life, I am leaning towards concluding on the latter. When I get depressed I don't like talking about feeling or letting others see me cry. I like to take care of that myself. The things that cheer me up include watching "Mars Rising", or discussing ideas. I have had a lot of emotion to sort through in my life as a result of early abuse and childhood instability, but I have managed by developing systems to regulate emotion. I do filter my emotions in this way. I do tend to feel connected to others and enjoy helping them to feel strong. My communication style is typically soft and gentle, and so that isn't typical for INTJ. Gestures of emotion wear me down. I have never cooed over a new baby, cried at a wedding, or felt much sentiment in any way. However, my face is expressive and tends to match and connect with the inner content of what someone else expresses to me one-on-one. My connection to people is empathetic, based on their internal worldview, focusing on one person at a time. I tend to make people feel stronger which is my goal. I am not terribly moved by universal causes of any sort. They mostly appear well outside my sphere of influence. My sense of morality is based on reason and relies on the simplest possible principles that have fluidity to apply in various contexts. I draw few conclusions about behaviors. I am deeply agnostic in all my thinking. There are no absolutes, no certainties, only varying probabilities, a type of pure skepticism. I am a survivalist. I plan to expend the least energy and look for the path of least resistance, so that when unexpected crisis occur, there are resources available.

redacted

I'm either an INFJ with strong Ti or an INTJ with strong Fi. In the larger context of my life, I am leaning towards concluding on the latter. When I get depressed I don't like talking about feeling or letting others see me cry. I like to take care of that myself. The things that cheer me up include watching "Mars Rising", or discussing ideas. I have had a lot of emotion to sort through in my life as a result of early abuse and childhood instability, but I have managed by developing systems to regulate emotion. I do filter my emotions in this way. I do tend to feel connected to others and enjoy helping them to feel strong. My communication style is typically soft and gentle, and so that isn't typical for INTJ. Gestures of emotion wear me down. I have never cooed over a new baby, cried at a wedding, or felt much sentiment in any way. However, my face is expressive and tends to match and connect with the inner content of what someone else expresses to me one-on-one. My connection to people is empathetic, based on their internal worldview, focusing on one person at a time. I tend to make people feel stronger which is my goal. I am not terribly moved by universal causes of any sort. They mostly appear well outside my sphere of influence. My sense of morality is based on reason and relies on the simplest possible principles that have fluidity to apply in various contexts. I draw few conclusions about behaviors. I am deeply agnostic in all my thinking. There are no absolutes, no certainties, only varying probabilities, a type of pure skepticism. I am a survivalist. I plan to expend the least energy and look for the path of least resistance, so that when unexpected crisis occur, there are resources available.

you've basically described me. i'm extremely uncomfortable letting my emotions show (and they really don't show), and i'm pretty apathetic to any large-scale issues. i use Ti and Ni as coping mechanisms to deal with deep emotional wounds. i'm totally into logic and philosophy -- intellectualization is my #1 defense strategy, etc. but my connections to people are all about empathy. i can empathize on a small scale, but can't handle big groups very easily. pretty much every sentence in your paragraph describes me :)

but i have no doubt i'm INFJ with strong Ti. empathy is totally an Fe thing, and intellectualization is totally a Ti thing (Ni too).

"my face is expressive and tends to match and connect with the inner content of what someone else expresses to me one-on-one. My connection to people is empathetic, based on their internal worldview, focusing on one person at a time. I tend to make people feel stronger which is my goal."

= Ni/Fe

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFJs are Ti, our inferior function. This does NOT mean that I don't "get" science or abstractions. There has been a tendency in the past to look at me and my cauldron of emotion, and then write me off as having no ability to dig down into factual matters. I spend a LOT of time doing exactly that. I enjoy it. (I've been patronized into the ground by Ts on this subject.)

I was a mechanic. That wasn't "typical" for my type. I liked getting dirty and feeling accomplished and being able to see with my two eyes something I fixed.

Also, I seem to read "optimism" from the type descriptions and I'm not an optimist. I'm a pessimist who hopes for better. And there's never any mention of the stormy nature. I'm not a happy personality. In fact, the ENFJs I know have quite the strong morbid streak. I don't know if it's something we develop over time as a coping mechanism or what.

EDIT: Ugh, one more thing. The romance end -- I'm NOT at ALL squishy. I'm not square to 2+2 paint-by-number flowers, maudlin music, goo-ball, cookie-cutter, "doves flying out of the trees" displays, nor can I be swayed by such. If that's really honestly part of the ENFJ psyche, someone left that part out on me.