• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ancestry, culture and type

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yes, this could be somewhat more reasonable, but the divide would still be arbitrary, since it could also be said that the northern western is more SJ than southern western; whereas the souther-northern personality divide would be reversed in, say, China.

Okay, I'm horrible with geography.

How does the climate of southern China compare with northern China again?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Though I endager myself to sound prejudicial: Dont you think they rather score PhD due to their working morales ? :D

Ahah, well, part of it is that there is so much population in China that everybody is pushed towards higher education since otherwise the competition can be rather daunting and life becomes very difficult. But OTOH some of these are also "elite students" in China, and still not intuitive by any stretch of imagination (often ISFJ and ISTP). In fact, they complain that even if they are coscentious and have great analytical abilities, their educational system hasn't trained them to be creative enough to get good ideas for their thesis :shock:

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
people, those of you who argue that race has nothing to with type: you're missing my point. i am not talking about races as much as i am talking about the culture that those races fostered. would you say that western civilization equals far-eastern civilization in terms of traditions, of knowledge and of spirituality?

the reason i choose race is purely from an anthropological point of view, since the above mentioned traits usually derive from a specific tribe, district or part of any country. this is why subgenre matters.

as to whether i believe MBTI is true: i can extract results from MBTI that allows me to work with this theory. i never stated that MBTI was entirely false, but i never said that it was entire true either. i use what truth i have seen proven by induction.

also, thanks haphazard, you captured what i wanted perfectly. and yes, in your case your subgenre would be ashkenazim.

to answer your question about 'the further east': the divide is in the pacific. i consider the eastern tip of japan to be the east-most point of the far-east. like i said, it is a question about mentality in countries and parts of those countries.

i realize that we may not have enough diversity to see a representative from each country, much less each part of one country; but that doesn't mean i can get answers from those countries with more representatives.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Don't be a tosser.

Your thread is quasi-nazi bullshit, which may or may not be fine - but don't expect the "data" on a plate.

Heaven forbid you might have to "defend" your "point".

Have a nice life.

yeah forgive me for not being politically correct and not asking questions about cultural differences or divides.

maybe next time before you pass judgment be sure that you understand what it is the OP asks for.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ahah, well, part of it is that there is so much population in China that everybody is pushed towards higher education since otherwise the competition can be rather daunting and life becomes very difficult. But OTOH some of these are also "elite students" in China, and still not intuitive by any stretch of imagination (often ISFJ and ISTP). In fact, they complain that even if they are coscentious and have great analytical abilities, their educational system hasn't trained them to be creative enough to get good ideas for their thesis :shock:

Ya of course, you are right :)

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
It seems that the farther north you go, the more I people become.

i am inclined to believe this as well. more so, the more rural an area gets, the more I people become.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The only thing I've noticed is that the Swedish/Norwegian side of my family is more introverted than the other side. Perhaps more intuitive also.

I think there are some trends we can observe. For example, is the average Finnish person more introverted than the average Italian person? Probably. But trying to make this into some sort of pseudo-science would be misguided.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Okay, I'm horrible with geography.

How does the climate of southern China compare with northern China again?

It's funny, because it's a very good question that gives me an opportunity to debunk the old adagio of "people from the south (or northe, given the equator as line of inversion) are more extroverted because it's warm". The climate of southern China is warmer all-year round (beijing and hong-kong/macau are only equal in the summer in terms of avg temperature, in the winter beijing hovers around -5/0 while hk/macau hovers around 15/20) and wetter/more humid than the one of northern China, yet Northern Chinese are - in their own culture - stereotypied as being much more passionate than the Southern.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am just glad I finally found another thread, I am not alone with my opinion :)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yeah, because a site on typology written in english is really the right place to find representative samples.
If only statistical analysis professional knew, how much cash could be saved every year by not foolishly recruiting people from the general population.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Hey Sentura, is what you're really after cultural/sub-cultural difference? The existence of "race" is basically a fairy tale. We have genotypes and phenotypes, but the variation within a population (a culture) is much greater than variation between any two populations. Culture is much more likely to affect personality type/development than anything in a person's physiological makeup.

juggernaut

Permabanned
people, those of you who argue that race has nothing to with type: you're missing my point. i am not talking about races as much as i am talking about the culture that those races fostered. would you say that western civilization equals far-eastern civilization in terms of traditions, of knowledge and of spirituality?

the reason i choose race is purely from an anthropological point of view, since the above mentioned traits usually derive from a specific tribe, district or part of any country. this is why subgenre matters.

as to whether i believe MBTI is true: i can extract results from MBTI that allows me to work with this theory. i never stated that MBTI was entirely false, but i never said that it was entire true either. i use what truth i have seen proven by induction.

also, thanks haphazard, you captured what i wanted perfectly. and yes, in your case your subgenre would be ashkenazim.

to answer your question about 'the further east': the divide is in the pacific. i consider the eastern tip of japan to be the east-most point of the far-east. like i said, it is a question about mentality in countries and parts of those countries.

i realize that we may not have enough diversity to see a representative from each country, much less each part of one country; but that doesn't mean i can get answers from those countries with more representatives.

Okay, it is culture...not race.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Hey Sentura, is what you're really after cultural/sub-cultural difference? The existence of "race" is basically a fairy tale. We have genotypes and phenotypes, but the variation within a population (a culture) is much greater than variation between any two populations. Culture, is much more likely to affect personality type/development than anything in a person's physiological makeup.

yes. i should perhaps have used subculture instead of subgenre; but these days the semantic of subculture is completely different from what i ask of. i'm not asking whether you're "emo" or "punk" or "goth", if you catch my drift.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
The only thing I've noticed is that the Swedish/Norwegian side of my family is more introverted than the other side. Perhaps more intuitive also.

I think there are some trends we can observe. For example, is the average Finnish person more introverted than the average Italian person? Probably. But trying to make this into some sort of pseudo-science would be misguided.

Is an Ethiopian or a Somali more extraverted than an Italian? Answer: No. Is an HongKonger more introverted than a Beijinger (forgive me for the funny names, lol): generally yes. I don't want to attack you, but I truly think that this phenomenon is mostly restricted to european countries, thus to be considered as partially casual, not causal.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*nods to Hap*

Looking at Asian culture, there's a huge emphasis on SJ behaviour. Rules and traditions you must follow... within the family and within society. Whereas in America, the emphasis is freedom and individualism (SP). But that's just history influencing culture. It has very little to do with personality of individuals.

Sentura: Not sure where you got the "farther east = more native intuitives" idea from. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me... but data for you.

1. what ancenstry do you have? Chinese, Southern region

2. do you consider yourself a member of a subgenre of race (i.e., for white gaulic or slavic etc., for black nigerian, aborigin, etc.) We go by region of ancestry.

3. do you think cultures of your ancestry have had any (even minor) effect on your upbringing? For the Chinese, always.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
just as much as you are for not understanding what this thread is about. what is it that you have such a problem with? anthropology?

Which school of "anthropology" did you attend? Himmler Intermediate?

juggernaut

Permabanned
yes. i should perhaps have used subculture instead of subgenre; but these days the semantic of subculture is completely different from what i ask of. i'm not asking whether you're "emo" or "punk" or "goth", if you catch my drift.

Understood. Subculture does seem to have taken on a rather odd connotation in the past few decades.

Another book for your reading list (if you haven't read it yet): Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies Jared Diamond