• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

P v J Perspectives

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So I was skimming through Lenore Thomson's book again, and found this little passage here:

From an Extraverted Perceiver's standpoint, freedom means the unfettered ability to respond to immediate experience - the absence of structure and expectation. For Judging types, however, it's the absence of rational structure that traps us, forcing us to respond to things as they happen, to forfeit plans and goals, to depend on the bounty of fate.

I thought it illuminated a difference in views of Ps and Js.

SO YA N STUFF.

cheerchick23

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ne
i like it :) it seems very applicable to me. fits my exrtoverted P nicely :)

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For Judging types, however, it's the absence of rational structure that traps us, forcing us to respond to things as they happen, to forfeit plans and goals, to depend on the bounty of fate.
That fits me perfectly!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yet another reason why people with an X in their P/J slot are just plain silly and don't see the ridiculousness of it. It's probably the most ridiculous place to have an X, not that all of them aren't ridiculous.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I like the way socionics describes j/p

J's are guided by rationality (logic-T or ethics-F) and feel that it is most important. P's are guided by pure unfiltered irrational information (N or S) without strong rational direction and therefore take all things into consideration making them indecisive and often unstructured.

Tjs are guided by logic. The make sure everything is done correctly towards a goal and aim for success which can be measured objectively.
Fjs are guided by ethics. They also want everything to be done correctly and towards a goal, but their definition of success is more subjective and often is focused on the unity of all people.
Nps are guided by intuition. They are drawn towards thoughts, but have a lack of direction so they often just flow with their ideas only wanting understand things/people without any strong reason for it.
Sps are guided by the senses. They are drawn towards everything around themselves and sensual pleasures. They are like the Nps in that they just "flow" with it, but they often have no concern for the consequences as they don't have the far sight of N or the strong guide of rationality.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yep, structure sucks. Not everything can be planned.

Yet another reason why people with an X in their P/J slot are just plain silly and don't see the ridiculousness of it. It's probably the most ridiculous place to have an X, not that all of them aren't ridiculous.

You're just sad you're a clear cut INFP devoid of mystical complexity!

G

garbage

How does this support that claim? I can see some overlap in the definitions of "freedom" for J and P types, where an X would fit quite nicely.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think of the difference between P and J as the ability to see possibilities. When you're in P-land, you tend to focus on how a situation can be altered, and when you're in J-land, you tend to focus on the reality of the situation. I would bet that depression shifts people over into J-land (hence phenomena like depressive realism).

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9

oh please. you're saying it like MBTI types were an universal truth about the human mind. it's not, it is an approximation at best. it leaves much to be deserved, which is probably why there aren't grounds for accepting it as a proper psychological practice with scientific merit.

if anything is ridiculous, it's man's attempt to assume that he knows everything. you have no merit to assume that MBTI is an universal truth, which makes your post dull, and makes you seem pretentious and ignorant.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh please. you're saying it like MBTI types were an universal truth about the human mind. it's not, it is an approximation at best. it leaves much to be deserved, which is probably why there aren't grounds for accepting it as a proper psychological practice with scientific merit.

if anything is ridiculous, it's man's attempt to assume that he knows everything. you have no merit to assume that MBTI is an universal truth, which makes your post dull, and makes you seem pretentious and ignorant.

And yet I never said it was a universal truth...

It's ridiculous because it totally throws off the function order. That's mostly why it makes no sense to have an X there.

How does this support that claim? I can see some overlap in the definitions of "freedom" for J and P types, where an X would fit quite nicely.

This is one of the problems with MBTI, there isn't someone you can go to to confirm something as right or wrong, a lot of it comes from theory and discussion (our understanding). P and J seem pretty clear cut to me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
It's ridiculous because it totally throws off the function order..

Function theory is a paradox. Ne Fi Te Si...yeah, not me....I mean, look at your own function order.

Function theory makes it even harder to stereotype. And if MBTI doesn't care to stereotype even a little bit...it's useless. Which might actually be true.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
MBTI is good at describing behaviors, but when you start trying to explain mental processes, it gets fuzzy.

deleted
From an Extraverted Perceiver's standpoint, freedom means the unfettered ability to respond to immediate experience - the absence of structure and expectation. For Judging types, however, it's the absence of rational structure that traps us, forcing us to respond to things as they happen, to forfeit plans and goals, to depend on the bounty of fate.

The wording is weak, but it works.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
And yet I never said it was a universal truth...

It's ridiculous because it totally throws off the function order. That's mostly why it makes no sense to have an X there.

oh yes you did, you made it sound like it was, ah, ridiculous to even consider being something else than the MBTI archetypes.

function orders aren't complete either; it may be very well that there are function orders which do not fit into any of the 16 archetypes. since the proof of claim rests of the plaintiff, i'd like to you to prove that there are only those function orders that the MBTI suggests.

here's a hint: you can't, because proofs of this nature are empirical.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Exactly. Even though I don't claim to be an X, I often find myself pulled between the need for security, structure, and planning and the longing to be free/independent, spontaneous, and open. In fact, I don't really understand how someone can claim that a person wants either one or the other. Call me crazy, but I prefer a planned, logical structure that is open and allows me a certain kind of freedom and spontaneity.

Let me give you an example. Teaching.

So, I have all the materials mapped out for me. The books. The worksheets. The general gist. But I have the freedom to plan my lessons based on those things as I see fit, including adding my own ideas, materials, and spontaneous whooshes (out of nowhere I get a brilliant idea just in the middle of a lesson that I can 'plan' within 30 seconds).

Someone else plans my schedule. I love the plan. The structure. I map out my schedule 8 weeks in advance for two reasons: I need to know what's going on AND I get the best lessons that way because usually people plan only one week in advance if at all. My blue diary is my best friend: I call it my 'brain'. HOWEVER, I am spontaneous enough to change my plan, move people around as necessary, to fit people's needs.

Someone ELSE gets the customers. I hate having to do that. I want the freedom to plan my lessons - to FOCUS on the matter at hand. But I also draw other clients to my school, always without trying...

If something is open, I don't like it. I like to know if someone is actually going to cancel. I'm quite anal retentive about that. I need the plan. BUT if someone ELSE tries to control my lessons - like that time they had the ridiculous idea of having people watch the lessons - I get angry, literally angry. Like damn, give me my space, you fool!!!

This is only one example out of many in my life where I want a balance between planning and openness. I don't think they are necessarily diametrically opposed.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh yes you did, you made it sound like it was, ah, ridiculous to even consider being something else than the MBTI archetypes.

function orders aren't complete either; it may be very well that there are function orders which do not fit into any of the 16 archetypes. since the proof of claim rests of the plaintiff, i'd like to you to prove that there are only those function orders that the MBTI suggests.

here's a hint: you can't, because proofs of this nature are empirical.

:huh:

I've read that P's have some J traits in their lives in certain areas, and vice versa. But there is still a difference. If I remember correctly it said that in people's personal lives, a P type may take on some very much J traits for smaller decisions, while wanting to leave the ends open for larger decisions. J types apparently don't mind acting like a P with small decisions, but like for the larger ones to be final. That may clear up some confusion for some people. I can sure relate to that.

EDIT: It just depends on what the person tends to naturally do, you can force yourself to take on J traits as a P, but you'll still be a P.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I think of it as the other way round.

I just see MBTI as reasoning for acting the way we do, but it isn't good for describing how someone perceives the world. Often they are strongly related, but they can be different. This is difference between socionics and MBTI imo.

For example someone may act strongly T, and they would even type them self as T. But, they may see those who act strongly T in situations that require F as insulting or even disgusting even if they themselves didn't know how to handle the situation in an F way.

I think we all agree that there are times for each dichotomy, but your mental processes effect how you view the world and to what extent you can go overboard with a dichotomy. How you behave may not always reflect that in an obvious way.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:huh:

I've read that P's have some J traits in their lives in certain areas, and vice versa. But there is still a difference. If I remember correctly it said that in people's personal lives, a P type may take on some very much J traits for smaller decisions, while wanting to leave the ends open for larger decisions. J types apparently don't mind acting like a P with small decisions, but like for the larger ones to be final. That may clear up some confusion for some people. I can sure relate to that.

EDIT: It just depends on what the person tends to naturally do, you can force yourself to take on J traits as a P, but you'll still be a P.

*thinking about this*

Hmm...I would say....eh...damn, I'd say I'm the opposite.

Wait, no, back up, let me rephrase.

Okay, so I want things to be finalized, with the option of me backing up and trying again if necessary. Heh. If that makes any sense at all.

For example, a lot of people say, "Holy crap in a handbasket, how could you make a huge step like moving to a totally different country???"

Answer: Two reasons.

A) I have always wanted to do it. I knew it. I did it. (Finalized - J)

B) If it hadn't worked, I could have returned to the USA with little or no problems or concerns, and be right back where I started. Win-win situation (open - P).

That's a huge-ass decision: moving to a new country. So yeah, I guess both.

Getting married is a tougher decision, because you can't just 'back out.' Well you can, but I prefer not to based on my value system. Soooo, yeah, I was 27 before I got married, but I did so relatively quickly, after knowing the man for only two years. However, I wavered back and forth. Broke up once, came back together. WHEN I decide, though, it's forever, even though I still question it sometimes when I'm pissed off, but I think that's normal.

So J or P. Heh. Still going with P.