• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Big Five

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I have just taken my first big five personality test, and these are my results.

<a href="http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/results/?oR=0.75&cR=0.417&eR=0.156&aR=0.528&nR=0.344">I'm a O59-C17-E3-A22-N18 Big Five!!</a>

I personally do not thing that they are accurate. They are inaccurate somewhat, especially when compared to my MBTI test results.

INTP
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
100 75 44 28

INTPs are very logical, analytical people who like to think about concepts and ideas, searching for the perfect solution to problems. They are detached, intellectual, and complex, always looking for different challenges. INTPs are very independent, skeptical and often brilliant. They are able to stay calm, even in the most difficult situations. INTPs are intolerant of redundancy and slow people, and are bored by simple issues. They are likely to ignore any rules, people or tasks they consider trivial. One thing they often consider trivial is emotion, their's and other's. Because of this they don't realize that other people need praise and reassurance, and INTPs are usually not good with relationships. They are intensely private, and very hard to get to know. INTPs are highly selective about with whom they will share their ideas, and they won't share their deepest feelings with anyone. They dislike and distrust authority, only respecting knowledge.
INTPs are on a constant search to understand everything, and learn everything they can. They learn anything they decide is worth the effort at an incredible speed, and are able to apply the knowledge to other areas immediately. INTPs have a natural skill for finding flaws in projects and logic, and at finding solutions to the problems. They are good at thinking up ideas, and starting projects, but they often lose interest or ignore the details of it, and it doesn't end as well as they had hoped. INTPs work best alone, and when in groups they seem detached and rarely contribute. They have creative imaginations and see possibilities where others don't. INTPs have a global perspective, and are more interested in theories than their practical applications.
They are not very good at sharing their complex thoughts and ideas, and in conversation they will often pause to think. INTPs are not very appearance-conscious and often look slightly disheveled. They also are not generally well-understood, and feel slightly isolated.

My big five results put me at an aloof, close minded asshole. That is more like my ISTJ brother.

People, please at least post your MBTi and big five test results side by side, and say which one is more accurate and why. Having a description of what you are like according to each one would be nice.

Jaguar

Well I'm not closed-minded, but I can be an asshole at times.
Like your family, my brother is the closed-minded one, and an asshole!

Mine:
O=80 You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.TRUE
C=69 You are well-organized, and are reliable. TRUE
E=89 You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic TRUE
A=10 You find it easy to criticize others (LOL) GUILTY, I mean TRUE.
N=55 You aren't particularly nervous, nor calm. TRUE

Actually, just looking at my scores, anyone could assign an MBTI type to it easily.

However, I'm no fan of MBTI for too many reasons to list.
I think Xander said it best, "I may be INTP but INTP isn't me"
Great line!

Hey , don't be so concerned about a score.
Hold fast and true to who you are, no matter what any blasted test says of you.

Take Care.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I have just taken my first big five personality test, and these are my results.

<a href="http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/results/?oR=0.75&cR=0.417&eR=0.156&aR=0.528&nR=0.344">I'm a O59-C17-E3-A22-N18 Big Five!!</a>

I personally do not thing that they are accurate. They are inaccurate somewhat, especially when compared to my MBTI test results.

First of all the two tests are measuring different things. I/E for Big 5 is not the exactly the same as I/E in MBTI. The rest of them are different too.

There's a moderate correlation between Big 5 and MBTI types but that's moderate... r = 0.3-0.4? Can't recall. Which means you can't expect the two to be the same. It only make sense since they're measuring different things.

And looking at your numbers, they do fit INTP... and definitely not SJ

Openness 59 - average leaning towards high
Conscientiousness 17 - rather low, Conscientiousness is correlated with J... low score => P
Extroversion 3 - extremely low, corresponds to I
Agreeableness 22 - low, slightly associated with F... low score => T
Neuroticism 18 - low, emotionally stable, again neuroticism is slightly associated with F (emotionality)... lower score => T

I don't see how that doesn't fit with INTP.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Okay, I think I'm an ISFP and my results were O4-C6-E1-A17-N76. Does that even go with ISFP? Anyway, I like MBTI better because the Big Five test looks like it relates things negatively. idk

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Also, the big five is innacurate in its own terminology. It is saying that introverts are unhappy.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
wix6l2.jpg

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Conscientiousness 17 - rather low, Conscientiousness is correlated with J... low score => P
Neuroticism 18 - low, emotionally stable, again neuroticism is slightly associated with F (emotionality)... lower score => T

Low on Agreeable and high on Neuroticism mean F? I got a very low score of 10 on Agreeableness and a high 90 on Neuroticism. I'm a surefire T. Disagreed, this is separate from the MBTI, it doesn't directly relate to it.

G

garbage

I'm a O59-C17-E3-A22-N18 Big Five!
INTP

I don't see anything in conflict here.

Low on Agreeable and high on Neuroticism mean F? I got a very low score of 10 on Agreeableness and a high 90 on Neuroticism. I'm a surefire T. Disagreed, this is separate from the MBTI, it doesn't directly relate to it.

Nah, high Agreeable correlates with F, and Neuroticism probably has a slight correlation with F, too. Here's a good table of believable correlations (scroll down to "Correlations"/"Big Five").

MBTI is never consistent for me, but Big Five is. I usually score highest on Openness or Agreeableness, which fits well with the title of Benevolent Inventor.

Here are my scores this time around:

Openness to Experience/Intellect
High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.
You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 80)

Conscientiousness
High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.
You are well-organized, and are reliable. (Your percentile: 74)

Extraversion
High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.
You are neither particularly social or reserved. (Your percentile: 59)

Agreeableness
High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.
You are good-natured, courteous, and supportive. (Your percentile: 96)

Neuroticism
High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.
You probably remain calm, even in tense situations. (Your percentile: 7)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Also, the big five is innacurate in its own terminology. It is saying that introverts are unhappy.

Where on earth did you get introverts are unhappy from? :huh:

Introversion in big 5 has very little to do with emotions (that's neuroticism). It has to do with your preference to do things by yourself or for group activity.

Snow Turtle

Remind me again why Big 5 was accepted in the academic world but MBTI and other various personality theories weren't?

Otherwise mines roughly correlate with ISFJ. They do correlate with me :D
Low openess, Low extraversion, High agreeableness, Mid Neuroticism

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
My Big 5 changes a lot, way more than my MBTI. My Big 5 is the exact opposite of 3 years ago, but my MBTI-score has just slightly changed (ENTP>INTP> INFP>ENFP, the NP-part stays the same).

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First of all the two tests are measuring different things. I/E for Big 5 is not the exactly the same as I/E in MBTI. The rest of them are different too.

There's a moderate correlation between Big 5 and MBTI types but that's moderate... r = 0.3-0.4? Can't recall. Which means you can't expect the two to be the same. It only make sense since they're measuring different things.

I don't see how that doesn't fit with INTP.

I had suggested Agreeableness corresponded more directly to the Interaction Styles factor of Directing/Informing, and Conscientiousness matched Keirsey's Cooperative/Pragmatic. For Sensors, it does match that A=T/F, and C-J/P. But for iNtuitors, it is reverse. (A=J/P; C=T/F). Hence the loose statistical figures.

On the SLOAN version (Global 5) they come right out and match the factors:
I/E=R/S (Reserved/Social=Extroversion)
S/N=N/I (Non-curious/Inquisitive=Openness)
T/F=E/A (Egocentric/Accomodating=Agreeableness)
J/P=O/U (Ordered/Unstructured/=Conscientiousness)

INTP is therefore RxUEI. Then, each type is Calm or Limbic.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP

High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.
You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 84)

Conscientiousness

High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.
You are well-organized, and are reliable. (Your percentile: 69) This is a bit high...

Extraversion

High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.
You are relatively social and enjoy the company of others. (Your percentile: 74)

Agreeableness

High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.
You find it easy to express irritation with others. (Your percentile: 22) I am more middle of the road than this...

Neuroticism

High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.
You probably remain calm, even in tense situations. (Your percentile: 4)

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 80)

Conscientiousness
You tend to do things somewhat haphazardly. (Your percentile: 25)

Extraversion
You probably enjoy spending quiet time alone. (Your percentile: 9)

Agreeableness
You find it easy to criticize others. (Your percentile: 6)

Neuroticism
You are a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things. (Your percentile: 90)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Remind me again why Big 5 was accepted in the academic world but MBTI and other various personality theories weren't?

Exactly. Plus my Big 5 test makes me look more like an ISTP. =/

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Big 5 can be validated. The existence of all 5 trait axes has been derived (for the lack of better wording) through the lexicon approach and factor analysis. MBTI is based purely on Jungian theories, which cannot be falsified. There has been no evidence demonstrating the natural existence for MBTI types. All meyer and briggs did was demonstrate test-retest reliability. Just because a test constantly give you the same result does not mean the result is correct.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Nightning: The first time I tested my MBTI, which was 1 year ago and found that I was INTP, I saw that I was almost perfectly in line with the description. My big five scores make me look like a douchebag.