• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NTs: Fear, disgust, and frustration?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've come up with another question about NT feelings.

It seems that when people cite an NTs lack of feeling, they usually refer specifically to feelings that involve relating and connecting to other people. However, it seems there's a whole spectrum of feeling people never look for when mentioning that NTs don't feel as strongly/consciously/deeply/often, etc.

I'm referring to fear, disgust, and frustration. From my perspective, it seems like NTs usually feel these as acutely and often as anyone, despite a possible lacking in the connection/relational feelings. Am I seeing things correctly, or are NTs actually detached from these feelings to the same extent as the others?

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stupidity and doormatism frustates me, does that count?

Disgust.. yes, it happens.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Stupidity and doormatism frustates me, does that count?

Only if you actually FEEL the frustration. If you're just using it as a linguistic shortcut to describe your thought process at that point, then no.
Disgust.. yes, it happens.

Well, I know you feel it in some situations. I guess the question is, do you experience it more clearly or often than the connection/relational emotions?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Fear and frustration - As common as anyone else, I surmise. Well, maybe a little less common, but that's not due to my NTness, but rather, maturity, IMO.
Disgust - rarely.

They're just as strong as anybody else when they happen (at least, I think so).

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Fear and frustration - As common as anyone else, I surmise. Well, maybe a little less common, but that's not due to my NTness, but rather, maturity, IMO.
Disgust - rarely.

They're just as strong as anybody else when they happen (at least, I think so).

+1 I don't feel disgust all that often. But fear and frustration would probably be my two biggest emotional reactions. Everything else, it would have to be huge to hit my radar.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The only one out of that three what applies to me is frustration.

But I would not call myself frustrated person.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I rarely feel disgusted, only when being on a public toilet or made to watch operations on humans on television. :D

I rarely feel frustration aswell, if something should be frustrating, I moreso derive a lot of power from the situation.

Fear on the other hand I feel alot, I constantly worry about the future, creating possible scenarios what all can go wrong.

I am more prone to sensibility or sharpened senses xD. I hear, see and smell like a hawk. No pizza is safe from me :D What comes with sharpened sensibility is a low tolerance to unharmonical noise + jumpieness. I am usually the one in the movies, who is jumpy all the time, making me look like a fool :D. (if I just had the right hand-eye coordination, I would be a soccer star already)

The great rest tho, is pretty dead. The strongest emotions I have , are: I like to feel harmonical with people. And I am righteous, I cant stand seeing people being treated unfair. Another one would be melancholy. I can enter states of depression, but only in private and they will be gone after one night most of the times.

I have no clue tho, if those count as emotions :D.

juggernaut

Permabanned
I definitely understand disgust and frustration. These two feelings are what generally leads to the negative emotion that pretty much encapsulates all of my negative emotions: irritation. I spend most of my time not irritated, but when I do get irritated it's almost always as a result of a feeling of frustration or disgust.

Fear, on the other hand, is pretty foreign to me. The only fear I have is being cut off from the thing that brings me the most pleasure. That fear is fairly strong, but it's the only one I've ever known. I avoid situations that are known to be dangerous so any other kind of fear is non-existent.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I get grossed out when I see gross things, but actual disgust is reserved for child molesters. Aside from that, it's pretty hard to shake me. It happens, but it's not common.

I don't have a lot of fear. I can't remember the last time I felt it. I don't remember what it feels like.

I get frustrated a lot - mostly with inept people who pretend to be otherwise. I lose my patience if someone doesn't move or think quickly enough for me. Or if I have to constantly repeat myself.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Fear almost never, disgust on occasion, and frustration is pretty common.

There are few if anything I'm afraid of that I can think of right now. I'm afraid that I will never become completely independent, but I'm confident that it will come.

It disgusts me when people act out of ignorance. World crimes being the most significantly disgusting. When individuals do it, I don't commonly feel disgusted. I only feel like they are in need of help, and I can usually understand why they do what they do.

I easily get frustrated when people can't or refuse to understand me. Mostly when they refuse.

marmandahalf

I gave up being frustrated a loooong time ago. It would've been consuming otherwise. A more accurate word would be irritation.

I don't really feel disgust, and almost never fear.

I'm disappointed sometimes. That's something. But that's because I'm optimistic enough that I'm by default cynical.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel fear and fustration a fair bit but rarely digust.
I think i am able to disconnect from them more than most people though by trying to rationalize them and failing and so rejecting them.

Apsaras

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
I'm not very emotionally mature, comparatively speaking.

I get irritated very easily under certain circumstances. Loud, brazen people get under my skin very easily. Loudness in general, I guess. And, of course, controlling people. I suppose frustration goes under that same general area.

Disgust, eh. Perhaps.

Fear, rarely. I've been in a few very dangerous situations and I actually laughed. Not out of bravery or any sort of pretense thereof - it was just my natural reaction. "ha ha, oh, wow, is this seriously happening?" That said, I *should* feel fear for my present life circumstances, in a long-term manner of speaking, but I honestly don't.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Disgust rarely happens, like jenocyde said I get grossed out when I see gross things but disgust is reserved for extreme situations.

Fear is a human thing, everyone feels it at times but it's not common for me.

Frustration is the most common negative emotion I feel, it doesn't turn to anger but it can cause impatience.

That said, with the exception of fear of an imediate threat to my life, I can detach from any of these emotions if I choose to.

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only if you actually FEEL the frustration. If you're just using it as a linguistic shortcut to describe your thought process at that point, then no.

For example, yesterday I was frustated because an ISFP friend I actually somewhat care about (very few, that) was.. being an unrepentant doormat.
I don't understand why she would, or why she wouldn't do anything about her situation which keeps happening.

But it's not something I can do anything about either; can't help someone who doesn't want to be saved.
It's maybe more an ENTJ thing than NT (crusade for a better world?), but I suspect a part of the frustation is/ was caused by the inability to understand/ symphatize with the heart over head tendency, and because I know that to be less frustated is to care less.

Other than personal concerns, people and situations usually just annoys/ irritates me. Just another thing to be dealt with.

Well, I know you feel it in some situations. I guess the question is, do you experience it more clearly or often than the connection/relational emotions?

Not really. Repulsion is more common than disgust; so even that is somewhat tuned down.

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
Personally, my feelings are just closest to my goals than people that I know. NTs are more likely to pull out feelings when things are going badly and they don't know how to think their ways out of it. Frustration, disgust, fear, anger, helplessness, sadness, are the feelings that I'm more likely to show because I prefer feeling only as a last resort.

but there's also concern, contentment, appreciation, happiness and love, which aren't very useful in blunt terms. what is the point of showing these emotions? so they're only felt, just as strongly and frequently as in anyone else. we're not unfeeling to those who are willing to look and can discern more subtle character patterns.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a low tolerance for idiocy, which comes out as frustration.

I've worked hard on emotional stuff for the past few years. I still sometimes get overwhelmed by it (been a lot happening in my personal life for quite a while now) but I'd say I feel the full range of emotions and kinda know what to do with them. Sometimes. I'm thinking though if I hadn't the OTT personal drama thing happening, my default state would be fairly emotionless and calm.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. A robot, which is the stereotype that NTs receive, would not experience positive happiness, exuberance, compassion, or any of the other more "relational" emotions, but it also would not be frustrated or disgusted, either. And I most definitely get frustrated, angry, disgusted, and feel fear.

Frustration mostly at myself or at the idiocy of others, disgust at the way others think and behave, and fear as in anxiety brought on in social situations or fear of failing/rejection. In fact, I'd say that I have a tendency, under certain circumstances, to be more irritable (combo of frustration + disgust) than most. For instance, I snapped on my brother's annoying EXFP friend the other day because he was bothering me with his incessant prattling while I was reading alone (in a room which he invaded without invitation). I was then a little disturbed, upon reflection, at the fact that my behavior had been so totally dictated by emotion (though not of the fluffy sort that we usually associate with the word).

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I've come up with another question about NT feelings.

It seems that when people cite an NTs lack of feeling, they usually refer specifically to feelings that involve relating and connecting to other people. However, it seems there's a whole spectrum of feeling people never look for when mentioning that NTs don't feel as strongly/consciously/deeply/often, etc.

I'm referring to fear, disgust, and frustration. From my perspective, it seems like NTs usually feel these as acutely and often as anyone, despite a possible lacking in the connection/relational feelings. Am I seeing things correctly, or are NTs actually detached from these feelings to the same extent as the others?

It's because we often get screwed over by other people. Personally, if I ever find the guy who nearly drove me to suicide twice in four weeks, I'm going to kill him, even if it is in front of his own children.