• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Know of any research on type compatibility?

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I got this book, "Just Your Type" that takes the different types and matches them up to explain what each relationship is like. They say in it that they found out all this from doing tons of research and watching couples in therapy. They make statements like saying ESTJ and INFP matches both reported the lowest relationship satisfaction with each other of all the types but don't say much more about it. I'm VERY curious to know where I can find research like that on types in relationships. I think a lot of us would be very interested to find out which types reported the highest relationship satisfaction and down the line.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there was a study...i don't think it was super involved or informative but someone posted it awhile ago...bluemonday i think??

hmm...blue??? do you still have it??

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personality and Relationships

At the link above, their research shows that the longest and happiest relationships are with people of the same dominant function. I wonder if that's true.

I've always wondered what 'research' they performed to draw their conclusions. I may have missed it, but I've always assumed their lack of statistics means it's largely anecdotal evidence.

To me, that site has some interesting ideas - ideas very much worth pondering - but I wouldn't assume it to be a theory based off of any empirical evidence.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think this chart is a bit pessimistic although in general accurate as to some of the challenges and natural benefits

Complete relationship chart between psychological ("personality") types

Probably finding those types who have Duality with your type is a good exercise:

See Duality Type defined below me:
These relations are the most favourable and comfortable of all intertype relations providing complete psychological compatibility. Dual partners are like two halves of a whole unit. They usually understand each others intentions without any need to say a word. Dual will naturally protect your weak points and appreciate the strong ones without asking for anything in return. Interaction with your Dual allows you to be yourself without the need to adjust to your partner like in other relations. This often saves both partners a lot of energy which they can use for their own interesting activities. Conflicts between Duals are very rare and if there are any, they are normally short lived and solved without pain. Your Dual partner will love you just for what you are and if there is such a thing as true love then it could probably only occur in relations of Duality.

However, let's not idealise these relations too much. Although theoretically relations of Duality are the best of the best, practically not everybody who is your Dual will make your dreams come true. The reason for this is that we are usually so twisted up during the course of our lives that our already formed and stable views and attitudes can affect our relationships quite heavily. In fact, younger people have more chance to succeed in the quest for their perfect partner than older people. But the chances are always there.

There are at least two conditions to be completed for a successful relationship between Duals. Firstly between the partners there has to be at least a minimal mutual attraction. Secondly and most importantly is that the partners are truly striving for the same or similar things. This may include common interests and/or life goals. Partners that are both seriously thinking about building a family are a good example. Logically saying: two halves of the same whole must not repel or move in the different directions, otherwise the whole will break into pieces. Relations of Duality also go through several stages. The first stage sometimes can be really tense. It is like a new engine that requires a "run in" first. If relations crumble it normally happens in the first stage. The more stages completed by Duals the more unbreakable their relationship.

However, nature has played a little trick on us. It is difficult to notice your Dual partner among all the other types and even easier to pass them by. Usually during first contact extroverts think about their introvert Dual as ordinary and simple, therefore not deserving their personal attention. In return introverts consider their extrovert Dual to be too good for them and therefore unattainable. Both positions usually belong to people who had a lack of Duality interaction during childhood. The magnetic effect of Duality becomes obvious when partners do not see each other for a while. Only after being together for a fair amount of time do the partners start realising how much they need each other. Finally, these relations are most suitable for friendship, marriage and family life. To have a Dual partner is irreplaceable if you have to compete or survive in a socially dangerous environment.

Duality pairs:

ENTp - ISFp
ESFj - INTj
ENFj - ISTj
ESTp - INFp
ESFp - INTp
ENTj - ISFj
ESTj - INFj
ENFp - ISTp

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Personality and Relationships

At the link above, their research shows that the longest and happiest relationships are with people of the same dominant function. I wonder if that's true.

I wouldn't like being with an ESTJ as it says I should, and the QI of an ENTJ is interesting. I find ENTJs to be attractive, but I would not really like a lasting relationship with one.

I think this chart is a bit pessimistic although in general accurate as to some of the challenges and natural benefits

Complete relationship chart between psychological ("personality") types

Duality pairs:

ENTp - ISFp
ESFj - INTj
ENFj - ISTj
ESTp - INFp
ESFp - INTp
ENTj - ISFj
ESTj - INFj
ENFp - ISTp

Bleah... I don't want to end up hitched to someone Se dom. No offense.

I refuse to accept any source that states "Women married to INTP men had the highest level of dissatisfaction, at 31%" on the basis of sheer optimism.

Optimism? What is that, some kind of drug?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've always wondered what 'research' they performed to draw their conclusions. I may have missed it, but I've always assumed their lack of statistics means it's largely anecdotal evidence.

To me, that site has some interesting ideas - ideas very much worth pondering - but I wouldn't assume it to be a theory based off of any empirical evidence.

That seems to be the case for a lot of sources that list "best matches" for different types. And there's also a lot of disagreement between sources on what the best matches are. I've seen one that promotes "duality pairs" with only the J or P in common, one that recommends couples share their S-N preference but differ on the other three, one that correlated relationship satisfaction with the number letters matched in the type code, some that say its best to find someone with the same dominant function in the opposite orientation (Ti-dom matched with Te-dom, for example), one that has different best matches for different genders, etc. And I haven't come across evidence supporting any one of these theories in favor of another. The Personality Desk link above is one of the few that gives any statistics.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I refuse to accept any source that states "Women married to INTP men had the highest level of dissatisfaction, at 31%" on the basis of sheer optimism.

This is bad science to say the least.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Socionics suggests matching types by common cognitive functions. If you are INTP for example then good matches are ISFJ ESFJ ENTP because these four types have same valued functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. If you are INFJ then good matches are ISFP, ENTJ, ESFP for the same reason that these four types share all valued cognitive functions.

More information: Intertype Relationships

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are many theories regarding intertype compatibility. Socionics' Intertype relations is one of them. What I like about it is that it goes off of functions, although there could be some trouble spots with the preferences themselves, such as S/N and T/F. Another one is Keirsey's model, where all a pair has in common is an S or N preference (so for instance, he says a pair like ISTP and ENFJ are incompatable, but ISTP and ESFJ are). I think it's defintely a model worth considering, as Keirsey says it's been effective for a while. Then there is the model at Personality Page, where pairs have the same dominant function in an opposite orientation (i.e. switch the E/I and the J/P). However what I don't like about that model is that it doesn't work for all types, particularly the Sensing and Thinking types (ESTJ falls dead last on my compatibility list). I've checked out the data at Personality Desk and I approve... mostly.

This is also worth checking out.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I can't find the study, but I remember reading one that said that the more letters couples had in common, the more happiness and satisfaction they reported long term with an exception or two (I think ESTP was one of them). They suggested that with the exception of highly-dominate personality types, that people generally are happier with those who are most similar to them.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The exceptions were ESTP men with INFJ women, and ESTJ men with INFP women. Even then, it's not that they were highly compatible, they were just notably more compatible than other opposite type pairings.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alas, the same article says there's only a 69% chance that I'd satisfy you. I guess it must be the INFP's bad boy ways. We don't mean to break hearts, but it's just in our nature.

But yeah, I think the other study broke it down into number of common letters a bit more.

Mia.

Yuck. I'd never want to be paired with another dominant feeler. Gimme opposite all the way.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Socionics suggests matching types by common cognitive functions. If you are INTP for example then good matches are ISFJ ESFJ ENTP because these four types have same valued functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. If you are INFJ then good matches are ISFP, ENTJ, ESFP for the same reason that these four types share all valued cognitive functions.

More information: Intertype Relationships

How many thousands of times must I say that SOCIONICS TYPES AND MBTI TYPES ARE NOT HARD CORRELATED!!!!!!!

ISFJs can be ESIs, which would be a disaster for your typical LII INTP (or they could be an ESI and ILI couple). ESFJs can just as easily be SEE, which would also be disastrous.

ISFPs are typically SEI, ESFJs seem to be commonly ESE, ENTP is pretty straight up ILE and sometimes LIE, and INTP isn't really correlated to any certain type, but they seem to stay within the NTs. I've seen ILI, LII, and ILE INTPs. But SEI, ESE, ILE, and LII make up the Alpha quadra.