• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SJ? Either way DON'T DO IT!!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay I've now been to two weddings in three weeks and again I am amazed at the proliferation of non thought that is present in people as a whole. Something within society obviously requires a framework for them to live to. I'm not sure why they think that such a framework is required in such bright neon colours, nor why everyone should follow such frameworks.

Anyhow the crux of my concern has been around the phrase "cause I said so". Within these weddings there seems to be an unending sprawl of "cause you do" going on. Those that know me know I'm looking into my own wedding at the moment and I'm starting to feel like going postal at some of these events!!!

Where do people get the whole tradition thing from? They don't know why they do it, what it means, who started it, or anything. So the question remains "Why do they do it?????".

Answers on a postcard to...

shum

MBTI Type
enfp
i think they follow it because they like it and prefer it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think traditions and formalities make people feel secure. Maybe it implies that the future is stable if they consider the past as stable. As children we accept much at face value from our caretakers. Maybe it's also related to a fear of the unknown? Traditions make more things 'known' in one viewpoint.

I personally don't care for tradition and formality. My own wedding was embarrassing, pressuring, intrusive, and on display. The wedding kiss was a horrible moment to 'perform' something like that. We just had a small little peck to get it over with and everyone laughed. I did like the dress, though. Funerals also make me feel like i never really knew the person, as they are reinterpreted in such formal terms. If most are comforted by these formalities, then have at it i suppose.

:run:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyhow the crux of my concern has been around the phrase "cause I said so". Within these weddings there seems to be an unending sprawl of "cause you do" going on. Those that know me know I'm looking into my own wedding at the moment and I'm starting to feel like going postal at some of these events!!! Where do people get the whole tradition thing from? They don't know why they do it, what it means, who started it, or anything. So the question remains "Why do they do it?????".

Everyone gets over it in time (hopefully).

Those who you now see as purely peon in terms of following a tradition because it exists will eventually start to attach personal emotional significance to it and use it consciously as a way to experience their concern for others.

Those like you will either remove yourself from the situation entirely because it's driving you fruit-batty or you will learn to take it for what it is and use it as a tool to show consideration in an easily understood form.

Not everyone warrants personal investment and emotional drain upon yourself; you will end up using some social rituals so that you can show consideration to those you are less connected with, without having to really pay attention to what you are doing.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Si=tradition

Si-Fe

Fair enough, although Ni-Fe will look very much the same if they like the social tradition (and then they'll change/ignore the social traditions that they don't like).

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I understand that the honeymoon dates back to the days of wife-stealing, when young bucks would steal a bride from another clan/tribe (in the interests of genetic diversity) and then hide out from the young lady's male relatives until such time as the new bride was thoroughly deflowered and hopefully pregnant. After that the bride's family would be forced to accept the marriage as a fait-accompli, and would thus be more willing to talk dowries instead of bloody reprisals. The groomsmen (best man & co) represented those men who would aid the groom in his kidnapping.

It's all a bit debatable, but I am nonetheless in favour of tradition in the major ceremonies which remain to us because I've found that there usually are reasons for why things are done the way they are, even if that reason is outdated and mostly forgotten. Still, it's nice to think that we do still have some kind of link with ancestors we have no real way of identifying today. And some of those links are so refreshingly heathen.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
i think they follow it because they like it and prefer it.
Now if they actually said that then I'd kinda understand. Non rationalised wants and likes are cool but why oh why do people get this urge to get others to comply to something that they themselves don't even understand? It's mind boggling!!
I think traditions and formalities make people feel secure. Maybe it implies that the future is stable if they consider the past as stable. As children we accept much at face value from our caretakers. Maybe it's also related to a fear of the unknown? Traditions make more things 'known' in one viewpoint.
That's what I was thinking :)

I always get called a party pooper though if I point it out :rolli:
I personally don't care for tradition and formality. My own wedding was embarrassing, pressuring, intrusive, and on display. The wedding kiss was a horrible moment to 'perform' something like that. We just had a small little peck to get it over with and everyone laughed. I did like the dress, though. Funerals also make me feel like i never really knew the person, as they are reinterpreted in such formal terms. If most are comforted by these formalities, then have at it i suppose.

:run:
OMG!!!

Okay wedding planning. Don't want that.

Still trying to research a place which would kinda loan about a dozen dogs (who all got along of course). Now that should get people's minds off the formalities :devil:

Would also make for some nice photos. I could hide behind the dogs :D
Everyone gets over it in time (hopefully).
You mean I get over feeling like slapping them or they get over following it?
Those who you now see as purely peon
HEY!! I object.
Okay it's true but I'm still objecting.

Okay now carry on..
in terms of following a tradition because it exists will eventually start to attach personal emotional significance to it and use it consciously as a way to experience their concern for others.
That's the alien bit. Can't quite follow that manoeuvre.
Those like you will either remove yourself from the situation entirely because it's driving you fruit-batty or you will learn to take it for what it is and use it as a tool to show consideration in an easily understood form.
But damn it I should be designing the forms!! Definer!!!

I do see the point. When trying to express precisely and uniquely most do just shrug and go "huh?"
Not everyone warrants personal investment and emotional drain upon yourself; you will end up using some social rituals so that you can show consideration to those you are less connected with, without having to really pay attention to what you are doing.

True and that is what makes it all the more draining and irritating. You try and do something innovative and filled with forethought and care, all you get is queried as to why you didn't perform as per article 17 subsection B3 of the civilians handbook otherwise known as "How to make friends and influence people".

I swear that somedays though it's like everyone hired an "idiots guide to..." or one of those SAMS "teach yourself in 10 days" and is following it step by step.

Perhaps it's just over here but it seems like the term "guidline" over here means little less than rule and all those social niceties and rituals are considered guidelines.

Anyhow I think I have a plan for my own wedding. Full plate and a nice sword (all romantic and stuff) then if anyone asks me to dance (aside from she who must be considered) or stand infront of too many photos, get's it :devil:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, some people don't get married in a formal ceremony, occasionally they just get married by a sheriff or something (or don't even marry at all), and that's happened for many years. Some people just don't go in for pomp and ceremony.

Out of the people who do have formal weddings, it's probably to make some kind of symbolic statement about their commitment to the other person. It's probably also a chance to share with their families the point in time at which their life moves into a different stage. It used to be a much bigger deal, especially for women, because divorce was rare, and it was the time when they moved out of their father's house, and towards becoming mothers. It just carried over from the past, because people seem to need to feel a sense of direction and continuity via traditional symbols, because those symbols give them a way of expressing the enormity of their hopes and seriousness about the event.

The ceremony doesn't make sense, but that's because it was carried over from religious traditions, which were filled with inane, ornate rituals. People engage in rituals to feel a sense of connection to something bigger than they are, I guess. It doesn't always really achieve or mean that, and it just becomes so ingrained in culture that it's continued just as an identity thing or for predictability. These rituals are probably particularly annoying to people who don't need such glaring symbols to understand connections and feelings.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I understand that the honeymoon dates back to the days of wife-stealing, when young bucks would steal a bride from another clan/tribe (in the interests of genetic diversity) and then hide out from the young lady's male relatives until such time as the new bride was thoroughly deflowered and hopefully pregnant. After that the bride's family would be forced to accept the marriage as a fait-accompli, and would thus be more willing to talk dowries instead of bloody reprisals. The groomsmen (best man & co) represented those men who would aid the groom in his kidnapping.

It's all a bit debatable, but I am nonetheless in favour of tradition in the major ceremonies which remain to us because I've found that there usually are reasons for why things are done the way they are, even if that reason is outdated and mostly forgotten. Still, it's nice to think that we do still have some kind of link with ancestors we have no real way of identifying today. And some of those links are so refreshingly heathen.
Oh for sure there are nice things to traditions and such but at what point does one persons idea of "what is nice" get converted into "what everyone must do or be derided"?

The other parts of societies structure, like law, at least have some basis in universal good (no I'm no going to debate the validity of that term) but most of this stuff seems to be one posh Ahem's version of "perfection" which everyone else then mimics in some vain attempt to "keep up with the Jones' ".

Personally, in reference to my own wedding, I'm paying so the Jones' can go jog off.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, some people don't get married in a formal ceremony, occasionally they just get married by a sheriff or something (or don't even marry at all), and that's happened for many years. Some people just don't go in for pomp and ceremony.

Out of the people who do have formal weddings, it's probably to make some kind of symbolic statement about their commitment to the other person. It's probably also a chance to share with their families the point in time at which their life moves into a different stage. It used to be a much bigger deal, especially for women, because divorce was rare, and it was the time when they moved out of their father's house, and towards becoming mothers. It just carried over from the past, because people seem to need to feel a sense of direction and continuity via traditional symbols, because those symbols give them a way of expressing the enormity of their hopes and seriousness about the event.

The ceremony doesn't make sense, but that's because it was carried over from religious traditions, which were filled with inane, ornate rituals. People engage in rituals to feel a sense of connection to something bigger than they are, I guess. It doesn't always really achieve or mean that, and it just becomes so ingrained in culture that it's continued just as an identity thing or for predictability. These rituals are probably particularly annoying to people who don't need such glaring symbols to understand connections and feelings.
Oh granted that it's a left over from the religious ceremony. I just don't get why people insist that things like red roses are romantic or that wedding dresses are white and basically a curtain with a couple of safety pins to give it form. You get better designs out of supermarkets and yet people fall over themselves when around wedding dresses.

How do people go from being told "this is true" to accepting it and yet they've never thought about it? Ever!!

I swear that old people's homes where they use a ton of drugs and show no compassion are becoming the best analogies of society!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, look on the bright side. The fact that the majority of people are little more than well-trained Pavlovian dogs makes them SO much easier to manipulate, although it does make actually relating to them so much harder.:( Here's a trick: while you're going through the motions, and performing as expected, picture yourself throwing a Frisbee to a trained dog. When people respond the way you expect them to, imagine the dog returning it, and mentally pat them on the head and say, "Good boy!" You'll strangely feel a lot better.

Does that help?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, look on the bright side. The fact that the majority of people are little more than well-trained Pavlovian dogs makes them SO much easier to manipulate, although it does make actually relating to them so much harder.:( Here's a trick: while you're going through the motions, and performing as expected, picture yourself throwing a Frisbee to a trained dog. When people respond the way you expect them to, imagine the dog returning it, and mentally pat them on the head and say, "Good boy!" You'll strangely feel a lot better.

Does that help?
Not really. They hate having their bellies rubbed half the time :(

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fair enough, although Ni-Fe will look very much the same if they like the social tradition (and then they'll change/ignore the social traditions that they don't like).
I'm Ni-Fe :hi: Doesn't sound like me as far as i know. Ni-Fe in my experience creates a very fluid approach to emotion that is in constant flux. It is as unlike Si-Fe as just about anything I know. But people consistently impose every single Si-Fe concept as being consistent with Ni-Fe. Oh well. People perceive as they will.

edit: Ni-Fe is also extremely rare (infj's as less than 1% of the population) while Si-Fe is possibly the most common. This is a likely reason for the confusion./edit

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True and that is what makes it all the more draining and irritating. You try and do something innovative and filled with forethought and care, all you get is queried as to why you didn't perform as per article 17 subsection B3 of the civilians handbook otherwise known as "How to make friends and influence people".

Yup, I am with you there.

But I only have so much energy in the world. So if they don't want my little personal touch and are happy with cookie-cutter connections, then fine. (And really, I am being sarcastic there. To them, it's not cookie-cutter, it's COMFORTING and standardized and secure. It's only cookie-cutter to me, because I like things to be unique and personal and that is not a requirement for them. So... that's how it goes. Different strokes and all that...)

Anyhow I think I have a plan for my own wedding. Full plate and a nice sword (all romantic and stuff) then if anyone asks me to dance (aside from she who must be considered) or stand infront of too many photos, get's it :devil:

Do what you want. It's your wedding. So what you and the bride say goes. It's the one day you can force everyone else to accommodate you. :)

My solidly ISFJ sister btw did not get "weird" with her wedding in July but she definitely wasn't just cookie-cutter. They didn't even have a cake, because the groom doesn't like cake; they had the "wedding brownies and ice cream."

So even within types there is still very much some flexibility to be found. I think the western world has been becoming more flexible (less SJ and more SP) over the last 30-40 years.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay I've now been to two weddings in three weeks and again I am amazed at the proliferation of non thought that is present in people as a whole. Something within society obviously requires a framework for them to live to. I'm not sure why they think that such a framework is required in such bright neon colours, nor why everyone should follow such frameworks.

Anyhow the crux of my concern has been around the phrase "cause I said so". Within these weddings there seems to be an unending sprawl of "cause you do" going on. Those that know me know I'm looking into my own wedding at the moment and I'm starting to feel like going postal at some of these events!!!

Where do people get the whole tradition thing from? They don't know why they do it, what it means, who started it, or anything. So the question remains "Why do they do it?????".

Answers on a postcard to...
No.
I am not going to attend your wedding.

Thank you for the invitation all the same.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yup, I am with you there.

But I only have so much energy in the world. So if they don't want my little personal touch and are happy with cookie-cutter connections, then fine. (And really, I am being sarcastic there. To them, it's not cookie-cutter, it's COMFORTING and standardized and secure. It's only cookie-cutter to me, because I like things to be unique and personal and that is not a requirement for them. So... that's how it goes. Different strokes and all that...)
No idea how you do that. I find it too difficult not to try to enthuse them to my (and obviously better... honestly) way of thinking :)

It's mostly cause I want inclusion to be honest. I want to be in the "in crowd" but I'll not sacrifice what I think is right to do it so I try to create circumstance where my version is the popular one.

It never works but I live by the sabre toothed squirrels code :D

Do what you want. It's your wedding. So what you and the bride say goes. It's the one day you can force everyone else to accommodate you. :)
Oooo bad move sir. It's just not cricket!!

The wedding day is the day you have to shut everyone else up and to make your bride cry as all the stories her parents told her came true as some sort of reward for following their schemes.

You HAVE to have the two doting lesbians (well they do look like it I mean come on) or the nagging priest/ vicar. You HAVE to have a WHITE dress. The page boys HAVE to be too young to pee by themselves. The bridesmaids should be too young to think that my little pony is cheap plastic rubbish and the best man HAS to be an arse with enough charisma to sink a hash party and yet has a voice loud enough to warn boats in china of the dover cliffs. It's all part of "Your big day" <cheesey grin>

AK47 anyone?
My solidly ISFJ sister btw did not get "weird" with her wedding in July but she definitely wasn't just cookie-cutter. They didn't even have a cake, because the groom doesn't like cake; they had the "wedding brownies and ice cream."
You should have seen the reactions I got to the idea of a barbecue in a field in scotland instead of a sit down trough.
So even within types there is still very much some flexibility to be found. I think the western world has been becoming more flexible (less SJ and more SP) over the last 30-40 years.

Hmm not sure about that one.

When's it go more N? In my lifetime?? Puhlease???