• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotypical favourite bands of the types

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
^Heh, my ESFJ friend is the hugest Robbie Williams fan... I couldn't even think of anyone else for ESFJs thanks to that. I think he is very cheeky and fun.

I met Robbie in Philadelphia in 1999. I was going to his concert, and I got there early. I was standing around outside the venue (probably the smallest he had played in 7-8 years), and he popped his head out of his tour bus to start talking to me. He asked me to cheer especially loudly. That is some ESFJ shit right there. Still, I need to look out for my fellow ESFJs. Katy Perry? Tim McGraw? Dave Matthews Band?

Here's a short list for me:

Suede, Blur, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Public Enemy, The Rolling Stones, Happy Mondays, Black Grape, The Stone Roses, The Jam, Nick Drake, Elvis Costello, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Lucinda Williams, The Divine Comedy, The Delgados, Delays, Pet Shop Boys, The Pixies, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, The Smiths, Nirvana, Stevie Wonder, The Beach Boys, Al Green, Motown, The Replacements, Love, Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, Can, The Warlocks, The Shins, Jeff Buckley, Prince, Tricky

V

violaine

Haha, cool!

Ooh good list. Damn, I was thinking about who should get Prince! Yeah, def the ESFJs...

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have been listening to this song like non-stop. I love Basement Jaxx.

[YOUTUBE=-INyhSHEeKk]Basement Jaxx - Raindrops[/YOUTUBE]

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
lol
to be fair, i think Radiohead listeners span a wide cross-section. The band also tops the list for INFJ and INFP.

Pink Floyd which came in 2nd would make more sense to me, even though they have a broad fan base as well. Queen being the third most popular for INTPs is funny, I liked there songs a lot before they got played out.

V

violaine

lol
to be fair, i think Radiohead listeners span a wide cross-section. The band also tops the list for INFJ and INFP.

True, though I am less enamored of them these days. I think they are one of those bands you have to divide between types by album...

I would pick OK Computer. Though I like their later work, that will always be a sentimental favorite.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Probably one rabid Queen fan. Check back next week to see if Zappa found an audience?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll play...

INFJ - The Smiths, The Cure, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Elliott Smith, Boards of Canada, Will Oldham, Dead Can Dance, Aimee Mann, Clinic
ISTJ - Tool, A Perfect Circle, Coheed & Cambria, Eagles of Death Metal
INFP - Death Cab for Cutie, Sufjan Stevens, Bjork
INTP - The Mars Volta, Autechre
ENFP - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Snow Patrol, The Killers, Coldplay, NIN (Just for CC)
ESFJ - Robbie Williams

*I'm sure there is much overlap between INFJ and INFP. I gave the INFPs the artists my INFP sister likes that I don't. :)

The Smiths!! :wubbie:

Do any INFPs here love The Ramones?
My INFP friend IRL practically worships them.
I love 'em too.. but then again I love so many different kinds of music.

Hard for me to pigeonhole any bands/genre of music to one type.
I know some NTPs on TypeC who love metal.
My INTP friend IRL is more into folk, and noise, but is open to metal.

How does one go about applying a stereotype for this topic?
Do we base it on themes, lyrics, overall sound/tone, the actual chord progression/tempo/key/etc of the music? I suppose it would vary from type to type which aspect of the music appealed to them most.
I'll have to think on this s'more. :thinking:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Pink Floyd which came in 2nd would make more sense to me, even though they have a broad fan base as well. Queen being the third most popular for INTPs is funny, I liked there songs a lot before they got played out.

Who actually calls music "played out?" And how would Queen be played out now? Wouldn't they have been played out when they were the biggest-selling rock band in the world?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Who actually calls music "played out?" And how would Queen be played out now? Wouldn't they have been played out when they were the biggest-selling rock band in the world?

They became played out after I heard their songs a million times over the years.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think the problem is the music, then. Great music never gets "played out." How old are you, anyway?

The problem isn't the music, but I can only enjoy "We Are The Champions" so many times.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The problem isn't the music, but I can only enjoy "We Are The Champions" so many times.

That is not one of their better singles. It's mostly useful in a sports context. But I just heard "Somebody to Love" in the car yesterday, and it was just so enjoyable. It was far better than anything current I've heard on terrestrial radio.

V

violaine

The Smiths!! :wubbie:

Yay!

How does one go about applying a stereotype for this topic?
Do we base it on themes, lyrics, overall sound/tone, the actual chord progression/tempo/key/etc of the music? I suppose it would vary from type to type which aspect of the music appealed to them most.
I'll have to think on this s'more. :thinking:

Weell... basically I just grabbed the well known bands that I love and foisted the ones I know my friends of certain types love onto the other types. :D Hard to pick though, oftentimes I will love certain songs rather than an entire catalogue of a band. I picked angular, complex stuff for the INTPs.

Hmm I guess Joy Division are another INFJ/INFP band... I just listened to them too much to love them much anymore.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I do a fine Morrissey singing voice, if I do say so myself.

Weell... basically I just grabbed the well known bands that I love and foisted the ones I know my friends of certain types love onto the other types. :D Hard to pick though, oftentimes I will love certain songs rather than an entire catalogue of a band. I picked angular, complex stuff for the INTPs.

Hmm I guess Joy Division are another INFJ/INFP band... I just listened to them too much to love them much anymore.

It's not always the right time and mood for Joy Division. New Order are far more easy to enjoy consistently.

V

violaine

I do a fine Morrissey singing voice, if I do say so myself.

Ooh? :headphne:

It's not always the right time and mood for Joy Division. New Order are far more easy to enjoy consistently.

Agreed. The right time was when I was 14 - 18. :) I still hold them in high regard but I just can't listen to them anymore.

Which reminds me... Interpol? I love them but I think they have very wide ranging appeal. Hard to say who the stereotypical Interpol fan is.