• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ambivert

Unique

Interesting video

YouTube - Leave Me Alone... Sometimes (ProteanView)

I disagree however that extraverts NEED to engage people. Would you agree?

Being an extravert myself I am perfectly comfortable being alone and not engaging others but I prefer that I do because for me (may be an SP thing) it keeps me from being bored, that said I rarely care for random small talk with strangers

Though that may actually be a bit of an ESTP thing... As Keirsey says: "Promoters understand well the maxim, "He who travels fastest, travels alone," although they are not likely to be lonely for long, since their boldness and sense of adventure tends to make them highly attractive to many other people."

Questions to the extraverts,

Do you feel comfortable being alone?
Do you feel the need to constantly engage people?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting video

YouTube - Leave Me Alone... Sometimes (ProteanView)

I disagree however that extraverts NEED to engage people. Would you agree?

Being an extravert myself I am perfectly comfortable being alone and not engaging others but I PREFER that I do because for me (may be an SP thing) it keeps me from being bored

Or am I one of these so called Ambiverts?

Comfortable being alone? Sure, especially if I have something that I want to do.

Constantly engage people? No. Even when I do, I prefer to engage with those I identify with in some capacity, although I am very polite and cordial to all humans I encounter in my daily activities, but I'm just as quick to shut down rudeness when I encounter it. Live and let live, be free and merry, but don't be a dickhead in front of me. :D

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I don't like how he says "comfortable in your own skin." That goes toward confidence and a healthy self-image, and not orientation. A book I was reading described a class of introverts as "accessible introverts." They're introverts that place themselves into society at a larger scale than an average introvert, for various reasons. They're, as you would say, more accessible. I think ambivert might be similar to how they described an accessible introvert, but not entirely.

But, god, I'm not a big fan of those personal YouTube videos. It's the STJ in me. I don't give a crap about what people have to say on YouTube in their personal whatever, vlogs or something or another. It actually annoys me. It's like they have something to prove by doing it. Wow, I just ranted.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol "one of the most misunderstood groups."
I'm sure I could think of a few that come before "ambiverts"

This guys voice was too annoying for me to finish the video. Too much repetitiveness too. I consider myself mildly extraverted/ ambiverted. I don't feel the need to costantly be around people, although I would rather. I do not mind spending hours and days with family and friends like some people do, but I also like to relax by myself once in a while. I don't think there are many extraverts that literally need to CONSTANTLY be around people, unless they are really extreme.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting video

This one's been covered a few times I think on this forum, the general consensus being that no, not all extraverts want to spend the majority of their time around people, particularly T's.

I feel perfectly comfy being alone, and whilst I do enjoy being with people, it all depends on the people. Obviously like anyone else, like minded people energize me whilst being a fish out of water drains me. And regardless, I still need to have a good few hours of solitude before I go to bed, which is why, as the kids get older and go to bed later, I'm getting less and less sleep! :coffee:

But... when i'm on my own, my solitary pursuits still tend to be externally focused, which is what gives me away, I think :)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
my comment:

there is in/ex -troversion that is based on seeking experience (sensory or intuitive) and in/ex -troversion that is based on ambition or longing for interactive involvement (thinking of feeling). everyone has all variations with different priority. for introverted people: some who have ambition for interaction are afraid of it, for the very same reason. because they care about the quality of interaction. they may act more introverted but feel less introverted, than experience seeking introverts, who may feel more introverted, but act more extroverted, unless they don't want to be bothered with interaction, because they don't care enough about it.

to be precise, we would need for steps of x-version. 1) involuntary ambitious about interaction (Je) 2) experience seeking (Pe) but self contained (Ji) 3) cautious and selective about experience (Pi) but ambitious about interaction (Je) 4) self contained (Ji), but experience seeking (Pe). you might want to sort them differently, like 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 it depends on situations, or what catches your eye

understandable? obviously i group like this

1 TeSi TeNi FeSi FeNi
2 SeTi SeFi NeTi NeFi
3 NiFe NiTe SiFe SiTe
4 TiNe TiSe FiNe FiSE

of course this is just one way of looking at it.
you could also say, that F is more extroverted (behaviorally) than T and S more than N and then claim that because of this for instance FeNi>FiSe>TeNi uhm ... i wont go further down that road

just saying, there is no perfect gradient, but 4 rough groups of x-version work better for me, than 2.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
there are the terms predicative and functional
they come from a guy who was arguing that functional people have ADHD and predicatives don't.
(dude has a website, scientific style of presentation ... dont have the link, sorry)

i would say predicatives have a judging dominant function, functionals have a perceiving function. i like to call the predicatives hardheads. to make up for them calling me hunter gatherer *g*

anyway, J/P (socioncs style, meaning intoverted perceivers are Si and NI) is the the second most significant trait to intro and extroversion. it's more apparent to the eye than T/F or S/N

unless i am wrong about my assignment of the "functional" and "predicative" types. but i don't think so.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I belive what is being observed lies in the Interaction Style matrix, which consists of expressiveness (I/E) and responsiveness (the other factor of Directing/Informing). When we normally think of introversion and extroversion, we are thinking of expressing as an introvert or extrovert. Yet the oter dimension can be considered as responding as an introvert or extrovert. Hence, directing types might ultimately prefer to be alone, regardless of how much they express to people. So EST (In Charge), might be very expressive to people, but not respond to them much. Usually, they only respond to those who meet a criterion. The Get Things Going types, particularly the ESF's, are the pure extroverts.

So the combination of expressing as an extrovert and responding as an introvert may "average out" to a kind of "ambiversion". Another kind is to simply express as an ambivert. This is not covered in the letter code, but would basically refer to those who score very close in the I/E dimension and express only moderately.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

sure, i feel totally fine alone. i don't mind grabbing lunch, going to a movie or whatever by myself...however given a choice i'd choose to have a friend go with me.

but...i prefer no company to bad company or less than great company even.

and...i feel the need to engage with people for a bit everyday yeah and if it has been too long since i was with a lot of people having fun and conversations and such i'll crave that too. i don't really go a day w/o having a longish phone or im conversation.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i've always known there was a middle between being extraverted and introverted. people that like spending time with other people, but at the same time are drained by those people. the pro of the E and the con of the I. i bet you could find the reverse as well.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
i've always known there was a middle between being extraverted and introverted. people that like spending time with other people, but at the same time are drained by those people. the pro of the E and the con of the I. i bet you could find the reverse as well.

It's called being an IxFx. OH!

/giggle

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Ambiverts are healthy balanced individuals who don't even deserve to know about MBTI.

Jaguar

Ambiverts are healthy balanced individuals who don't even deserve to know about MBTI.

MBTI is a disorder? :p

I'm inclined to agree with those comments. :D

There are three groups, according to Jung. Not two.

"There is, finally, a third group... the most numerous and includes the less differentiated normal man...
He constitutes the extensive middle group..
. I call the first group extraverted and the second group introverted" (p516, Psychological Types)

"There is no such thing as a pure extrovert or a pure introvert.
Such a man would be in the lunatic asylum.
They are only terms to designate..., a certain tendency....the tendency to be more influenced by environmental factors, or more influenced by the subjective factor, that's all.
There are people who are fairly well balanced and are just as much influenced from within as from without, or just as little".

psyche

This one's been covered a few times I think on this forum, the general consensus being that no, not all extraverts want to spend the majority of their time around people, particularly T's.

I feel perfectly comfy being alone, and whilst I do enjoy being with people, it all depends on the people. Obviously like anyone else, like minded people energize me whilst being a fish out of water drains me. And regardless, I still need to have a good few hours of solitude before I go to bed, which is why, as the kids get older and go to bed later, I'm getting less and less sleep! :coffee:

But... when i'm on my own, my solitary pursuits still tend to be externally focused, which is what gives me away, I think :)

Can you explain and ideally give an example or two of what you mean when you say your solitary pursuits are externally focused? And perhaps what you'd describe as internally focused pursuits? Thanks!

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
sure, i feel totally fine alone. i don't mind grabbing lunch, going to a movie or whatever by myself...however given a choice i'd choose to have a friend go with me.

but...i prefer no company to bad company or less than great company even.

this :yes: