• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can "Nice Guys" Be T's??

Unique

Feeling something about the things you do is irrelevant

If you are nice you are nice

I know T people who I'd consider nicer than some Fs

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
This leads me to think you're more ENFP. No ENTP I know, not one, has difficulty giving criticism, which results in many debates and fights that could have easily been avoided. On the other hand, the ENFPs tend to be concerned about how their words will be received.

Actually, I do find it hard sometimes to give criticism - only easier when it's people I know well, who I know will not think it comes with malice. However, I have experienced many times, NF's thinking I'm criticizing when I'm actually not, taking things personally and seeing malice in them that isn't there in reality... A suggestion of maybe "if we tried it another way, it might be quicker" can very easily be taken by a touchy NF as "your way is stupid, I think you're stupid and we should do it my way", which is 100% in their head.

With regard to the "lower temperature" of coldness that F's can muster, I concur. That whole "lock and load" door slam thing that so many NF's do - I just wouldn't be capable of it. No matter how pissed I am at somebody, deep down I always want to resolve the situation and be friends again, and that will always undermine any intention I have of giving them the silent/frosty treatment that I can never carry out in reality. If I can see someone's trying to make amends, even if I suspect it might be insincere, I can't help myself at least giving them a chance to explain and if they tell me their side of the story and it seems I got them wrong, I do immediately relent and forget all about it, whilst I've known many NF's who will just hold a grudge forever and never relent even if an angel comes down from heaven and declares you innocent!

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
With regard to the "lower temperature" of coldness that F's can muster, I concur. That whole "lock and load" door slam thing that so many NF's do - I just wouldn't be capable of it. No matter how pissed I am at somebody, deep down I always want to resolve the situation and be friends again, and that will always undermine any intention I have of giving them the silent/frosty treatment that I can never carry out in reality. If I can see someone's trying to make amends, even if I suspect it might be insincere, I can't help myself at least giving them a chance to explain and if they tell me their side of the story and it seems I got them wrong, I do immediately relent and forget all about it, whilst I've known many NF's who will just hold a grudge forever and never relent even if an angel comes down from heaven and declares you innocent!

As an NF, I can say.. I can't do that either. I want to make peace too. I think it depends more on the person than the type.. maybe people who can do that are more emotional in general. But unless you've really, truly wronged me, I won't give up on a friendship, even over something major.

(Unless you murdered someone of course.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
As an NF, I can say.. I can't do that either. I want to make peace too. I think it depends more on the person than the type.. maybe people who can do that are more emotional in general. But unless you've really, truly wronged me, I won't give up on a friendship, even over something major.

(Unless you murdered someone of course.)

Actually yeah, IME it is mainly INFP's that are the exception to the above :wubbie:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The door slam is a way for some to deal with the psychological stress and heartbreak that comes with hurt, betrayal, etc. If a person has hurt the NF (or should I say NFJ?), they have no inclination to continue interacting with this person; they want to deal with the issues on their own and prevent further hurt by keeping away from whatever caused it. They are not holding a grudge per se. It can interpreted that way but it's not so. They are simply dealing with deep emotional issues and depending on the situation, it may take months or even years to completely understand and digest. During that time, the NF may seem icy, but their heart is bleeding. After such a period, the NF may grant forgiveness if it's asked for sincerely but you can't rush them. For some it's easy to shrug off slights and keep it moving, but for others it hits them on a deeper level. Everyone has their unique way of working out issues and none are necessarily better than the others.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Most of my peers describe as a nice, sincere, and good-hearted person. More than one person has described me as one of the kindest people he or she has met.

Does this necessarily make me an F though? I consider myself someone who is loyal and is extremely devoted to his friends. I care a lot about others. However, does that mean I'm definitely an F or could these be traits of a T too?

I say this because I am not particularly comfortable with expressing emotion but it bothers me when those close to me aren't happy..

I get that a lot too. I've been called kind more times than I care to remember. I don't know, I guess I just follow through on my promises, no matter what I have to go through. If I promised you 2 months ago that I would get you at the airport at 5a on the 17th, I don't care what happens, I will be there and you don't need to remind me ahead of time. (I'm not like that with social events though...) Even the littlest things casually commented on at a party will get a follow up email with a resolution a few days later. I just pay attention to people and I don't make promises lightly.

If a friend needs money and I have it to spare, they get it - no questions asked. People pay me back but I never ask for it back. I don't care enough to do that. I wouldn't have given it if I didn't have it in the first place.

I also rarely criticize. It's a coping mechanism I've learned over the years. And when I am tempted, I am very very sure never to say it to an NF unless the friendship will be ruined by my silence and I really want to save the friendship. Criticism, to me, is a chance for improvement. It always confuses me that people don't want to hear it because I welcome it.

I don't necessarily feel kind. But they call me that name anyway.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I absolutely despise the term "nice guy".

Just putting it out there.

Sorry.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
In my experiences, nice guys can be either both..

I think nice has more to do with a person's value system, which they learn at an early age? Could be type related, depending on what they place higher emphasis on?

I met some T's whom, in my opinion, have higher moral character than some Fs who don't give a fuck.

Last edited:
R

Riva

I can fake nice. I mean, not here, but I'm very capable. I do it at work 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year. No one other than you guys knows I'm a jackass. Although there's an ENFJ co-worker that might be slightly suspicious.

And . . . my parents know, I guess.

and we know too.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I'm a nice guy, and I'm a T. However, if you have the incredible talent neccessary to anger me, expect no mercy. I wouldn't punch anyone unless they realy deserved it. I blame it on the N.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
thats one way to look at it

a well-developed and mature T would think about when to let feelings take over and not just think instead of feeling, as you might think

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, why not? More than half the guys in the world are T's anyway. None of them are "nice guys"?... I don't think so.