• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Checks and Balances

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I came across this interesting article on the Lenore Thompson wiki website. It describes how our top four type functions have built in checks and balances to attempt to prevent us from over-reliance on our preferred perceiving or judging function. It uses the example of the relationship between the US President (for Judgment) and the CIA (for perception):

Checks and Balances

I believe this would make a good topic for a lively discussion. Further examples or analogies might be the best way to shed more light on this idea.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It's an interesting analogy... but I never liked Thompson's idea of tertiary temptation overriding the auxiliary function nor her belief that in order to become "balanced" all you need to do is to develop your auxiliary. The shadows have their role in this as well.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But that ties in with Beebe, who calls the tertiary the "inflated" child, and it does seem to match what I can see in myself and others.