• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why the Mind Deceives the I?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The newspaper boy woke me up.
Why?
Eventually I did not believe the lie.

I believed it first. I almost slept on.
My first memory was I was awake when the newspaper boy came.
I was not mad, therefore I could sleep again.
The lie was the memory.
The memory was but a dream.

A pre set dream to suit the occasion.
Pure problem solving.

If the newspaper boy wakes me up I get mad.
If I get mad I cannot sleep on.
If I think the newspaper boy did not wake me up I do not get mad.
Therefore the mind set in a false memory.
It was a memory of a waking up process.
The memory ends in the coming of the newspaper boy.

Reality was different.
It often is from what we think it is.
Memories are tricks played by the mind.
Are there true, accurate memories?
No.

Some memories are originally dreams.
Some memories are based on real events.
Only on recalling them they become twisted.
They become interpretations.
In the last phase, dreams.

Ask two people describe the same event.
The judges in the court room believe some people are lying and some are telling the truth.
They are all lying.
Then the memory of the judge starts working.
The pieces are reordered, interpreted, confused, twisted.
Therefore there is a person who writes down the words of the witnesses.

There is no such person out of courtroom, though. :smile:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember being sick at my grandparents when I was a baby.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Could someone translate wildcats post.

It looks like it's probably interesting and all but I'm going to need someone who can speak wildcat.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It looks like it's probably interesting and all but I'm going to need someone who can speak wildcat.

I want to see a debate between Victor, wildcat, and Prozac (from INTPc).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
AREN'T YOU JUST THE CUTEST KITTY CAT LOOK AT THAT FACE!!

Jaguar

Reality is an illusion.
We see what we want to see, and call it reality.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reality isn't an illusion. It's that thinking what we know about reality is all there is to know is an illusion.

Our perception of reality is but a small window to the universe. Doesn't mean the window isn't there. ;)

Jaguar

Hi Fluffster,

(Fluffster, I like that nick.) :)

The reason reality is an illusion is people accept the word "reality" to be singular in nature.

Take vertigo for example.
The medical definition of vertigo is: The illusion of motion.

To experience the floor dropping beneath you, or the room swinging, may be an illusion by definition,
but is a concrete "reality" to the person dealing with it.

Our brain is what creates its version of reality.
That's why I always laugh when people say, "What is the reality of the situation?"

As if there is only one reality . . .

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I don't disagree entirely with you, but we do know there is one absolute reality, we also know we could never grasp or understand that reality in its entirety. Because that would require some form of omni-sense, which we do not have. But we do know logically, that fractions of the reality we perceive can be logically explained and therefor considered real. And an integral part of that absolute reality.

Whilest illusion is something that we see that isn't really there. An illusion is our mind believing something is real, whilest in reality, it is different then how we perceive it.

There's subtle differences that makes it impossible for reality to be an illusion.

However, I'm certain there are people who perceive reality in such an illogical way, that one could say their reality is in fact just an illusion. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've been thinking about such things a lot lately.

I think that when we initially perceive something, we store it as a series of inherent archetypes based on how we perceived it. Later on, we recall that series of archetypes along with a vague impression of the circumstances that surrounded them. But not the exact situation.

I think that there is a limit to what degree of reality we can perceive. I do think that at least some of what we see through our senses must be true on some level, but there's no telling how much of what we think is true is simply an interpretation of reality thrown at us by our minds, that gives us a combination of stuff from our unconscious and what's coming in through our senses.

In other words, things might be true, but not in EXACTLY the way we think they are. The version we know of may only be a simplified reflection of it's actual nature that allows just enough awareness of what is being dealt with for our own purposes.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Is it behind door number 1, 2, or 3?
Only 13 posts.
Excellent, Jaguar.

The thoughtful Athenian provided extra detail- a good job.

Thank you for all concerned.
Very good posts. Not a single blemish.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
You are right. Memory is constructed retrospectively.

A few years ago I went to dinner with a friend and afterwards went to see a band. I commented recently on how enjoyable the evening was and how good the band had been. He looked at me as if I was mad - all the details were correct but the band was a different band. I saw one band, he saw another. I know my version is correct and I am sure he knows his version is correct. Two bands for the price of one.

Now that's value for money.

Yes. I remember it well...

YouTube - PETULA CLARK & BASIL BRUSH - I Remember it Well

:)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You are right. Memory is constructed retrospectively.

A few years ago I went to dinner with a friend and afterwards went to see a band. I commented recently on how enjoyable the evening was and how good the band had been. He looked at me as if I was mad - all the details were correct but the band was a different band. I saw one band, he saw another. I know my version is correct and I am sure he knows his version is correct. Two bands for the price of one.

Now that's value for money.

Yes. I remember it well...

YouTube - PETULA CLARK & BASIL BRUSH - I Remember it Well

:)
Well said.
Memory is constructed retrospectively.
True.

Is the retrospective construct the first construct?
No.
Otherwise it would not be a retrospective construct.

When does the first construct take place?
While we see.

The eye does not see.
It records.

The record player does not understand the record.
The eye is a machine.

Understanding is a construct.
To see is to imagine.

Science is fiction.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
When does the first construct take place?
While we see.

The eye does not see.
It records.

The record player does not understand the record.
The eye is a machine.

Acquisition is sensory. Acquire, store, access. The eye sees what is there; the brain what is not there. Both whisper lies to each other - there's the paradox.

Understanding is a construct.
To see is to imagine.

The most difficult. How to organise and access. That which is and that which is not become images, and images are not words. They are of equal significance in the mind's eye. That which is not = that which is. This is called acute perception and it comes with a cost.

Science is fiction.

And fiction is a lie which is true - another paradox.

Acute perception requires visual thinking. Words are reductive and 2 dimentional; only images and ideas are real. The minds eye makes of them what it will. All words are fake. All language is a perversion.