• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Describe Your Thought Process

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I focus on a subject - like a picture
The picture stays whole until i go into mode one
Then everything around me grows silent and blank
The texture and smell of it wil become palpable
After awhile, a red blip will pop on the canvas
Then the frame will fill out
After the frame comes the rest of the colors

Then the picture is the same but contorted - like a parallel universe version

The indigo steps to my thinking process are often out of order when in hyper mode - which is good - other than that they are in order when I am not as creative
and i often go from the first to the last step
it is like reassembling a puzzle from memory

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's like I'm standing in an infinite void between several specific arrangements of things. And they are all positioned in meaningful, representative ways next to each other, but their locations don't obey the normal laws of physics. These arrangements can occupy the same space, be in more than one place at a time, or any other number of things.

Each individual arrangement is a paradigm. The things within each arrangement are archetypes. The positions of the archetypes have fixed meanings based on the shape of the paradigm, and the particular combination and arrangement of archetypes within the paradigm gives it a unique resonance.

Different paradigms have varying levels of activity. When I want to do something or figure out something, the paradigms most closely related to it become more active. Then I "enter" one of the paradigms, and "possess" each archetype. I then make a note of which one felt most and least comfortable, and repeat the process for each active paradigm.

After this is done, I take the archetypes that felt most and least comfortable from all the paradigms, and create a new temporary paradigm with them, placing each of them in positions of importance relative to how they felt. I then observe the activity and interaction of the archetypes within the paradigm. Eventually, the events within the paradigm become symbolic, and I note the symbolism of each event within the paradigm in order.

Finally, I meditate on all the ways I'm aware of that the symbols could relate to one another, and I note that one "feels" more right than the others, once again. This usually produces the answer I'm looking for.

This actually happens a LOT faster than you'd think, every moment. Describing it took a lot longer than doing it would have, and the description was imperfect because of the nature of language.

EDIT: I think there's a definite parallel between my thought process and Astrology. Astrology seems like a possible result of someone incorrectly projecting their inner processes onto external objects, and assuming too much consistency in the connection between their inner processes and the outer world.

silverchris9

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thinking for me begins with looking at an object x. Object x usually does one of two things: connects to object y (one enriches the other), or implies possibility a. I flesh out possibility a long enough for it to imply possibility b, rinse and repeat. Eventually the process accelerates so that the possibilities are fleshed out as soon as they're recognized as being present. The other possibility is a connection to object y, with varying levels of depth. This connection usually enriches either x or y (allows me to understand x or y better) and is a more emotionally visceral experience, which I have to conceptualize (or trope, if you will) as a punch to the stomach. Its the connection between things that make me stop what I'm doing and close my eyes and experience the intensity of the realization or revelation, if you will. My metaphor for it is nuclear fusion, both because it feels like an explosion and because it feels like a synthesis of elementary forces that releases a lot of energy or power in the process. That's what makes me randomly look like a crazy when I'm out with my friends or whatever. Most of them learn to tolerate it after a while, and you know that I feel comfortable around you if I'm okay putting my head against the nearest available object, suddenly being quiet and maybe groaning. Like a complete crazy person. People should feel privileged.

The image I have for the whole process is a rushing river with stones sticking out over the surface. I jump from rock to rock (possibility to possibility). At first I have to walk to the edge of one rock and jump somewhat cautiously to the next, but gradually I jump from rock to rock easily, skillfully even. After I get my complete bearings, I can do it like a game, adding flourishes here, doing tricks there. But getting into this high energy associative state opens me up to the mental fusion reaction, which is kinda like a strong wind that comes out of nowhere and knocks me into the river, sends me surging along with it, careening, and yet painfully, non-controlledly exhilarated, somewhat more complete as a person. What takes the most energy (but is the most powerful) is controlling the direction of the river.

I associate leaping from possibility to possibility, often in a messy, hurried, disorganized fashion, with Ne, while I associate the somewhat "mystical" connection of two ideas or thoughts or phrases or events with Ni. The Fi part of the process is very vague and seems to melt into the N (because the two occur simultaneously, but the N is more noticeable) but I think Fi is the function that deepens the experience/its impact on me. It ties me to the sensation (by which I don't mean literal five-senses sensation, but rather internal "sensation") of the moment. It's like Ne says: "Look at that possibility over there, it's so pretty!" and then Fi says (in a much quieter, much more automatic voice): "Oh, wow, that's really pretty, it makes me really happy."

That's how I see my "serious" or "philosophical" thought process. Interpersonal interaction is a different story and consists of more basic situation-action pairs. What do I do in this situation? Then I do that. Its like fitting the right peg into the right hole. Occasionally I can do the whole intuit how the other person feels thing (Ne, but also kinda Ni because I often compare it to a phrase or another person I've seen that had a similar vibe, and then between the two cases figure out the actual emotion), but without a ruleset for what to do from there (Te or Fe, I don't know which) I'm a lot less successful than I'd like to be. I'm better at letting others' emotional states impact my mental/emotional state (that's probably my Fi) than my behavior; that is, I may not know how to comfort you in the moment (more of an S thing), but I can sure write a poem about how you felt!

Trying to learn more objective things like math, science, or history is more like adding information to an architectural structure (especially history: it's like facts make up structures inside of structures inside of structures inside of structures inside of structures...). It's frustrating when a piece doesn't fit the model, but kinda fun to build a more accurate model next time. It's fun, but after a while the tearing down and rebuilding of the model gets mentally tiring or taxing. I guess this is more of a Te thing? I can't make it work when it doesn't fit a metaphorical model or ruleset no matter how many times I try to conceptualize it properly. Then I have to rely on my scant ability to just remember what to do in the given situation (Si?), but generally accept that I don't understand it yet.

The other thing I'll occasionally do (and this is usually only with music, but occasionally with the flow of a verbal phrase as well) is have an underlying sense that there's just one thing wrong that needs to be fixed, just like one latch out of place that needs to be pushed back into place to make the whole system flow right. And then its like an itch that won't leave me alone until I fix it, or at least figure out how to fix it. I think this is my nascent Ti, but it might also be a Te thing. Who knows.

Sorry for the spontaneous essay. That was fun!

For example, and I know this is a horrid example, but I can look at a test question, and without even consciously READING the whole thing, I can know the answer. It's there. If I don't know it, I'm usually fucked, but I might be able to figure it out if I compare it to the data I do know, or if I'm able to deduct logically what the answer is.

That's totally me. If I know it, I know it when I know it. If not, I have to reason and compare and eliminate possibilities, which is at least 75% less successful (but getting better since I've been studying subjects that demand those sorts of skills).

Lett

Fascinating reading most of these. Not just getting an idea of how other people think, but your ability to describe that process. I'm in awe of those of you that can get grip on what's going on inside your head and then translate that into words with so much concrete detail.

Most of my thinking revolves around picking up patterns in whatever has caught my attention, and then extrapolating from those patterns the structure or behavior of the larger system that they are a part of. Experiencing that process is like watching one of those long zoom-out shots that goes from an ant to a tiny blue marble in space. Or the reverse. To understand a concept very precisely, very quickly, that most people struggle with can be a lot of fun. Of course there are trade-offs...

Details can escape me completely. I can remember specific theoretical thoughts I had 20 years ago (I was 7), but I still don't know the precise birthdays of my immediate family. Although I have narrowed them all down to the correct month and ~10 day range at this point. The odd thing is I have limited desire/ability to make that more precise. It seems beyond my control despite the fact that I know those kinds of things are important to them.

A practical example I read posted by an INTP elsewhere that I'll plagiarize is that if you give me a couple hours I can write you a general paper on any subject, that will blow your mind with its insight. If you want details, citations, and the building blocks of how I reached my conclusions however, I'll go cry under the covers. The best I can do there is, "I just know." My academic life came to a screeching halt when "show your work" became a requirement.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was directed to this thread by another conversation and thought it would be best to post my response to the initial question before reading others responses so that I am not influenced by how others interpret and respond to the question... it should be interesting to compare things after that. :)

Generic overview
I would divide my thinking into several basic common categories. In general, a lot of my thinking involves asking myself questions and either trying to answer or respond to those or see what other questioning branches those lead to - when I have reached the end of a basic chain of thought, I start sub-consciously looking for tangent thoughts to move to next.

Specifics - Interacting with someone I already know.
Is there a specific reason for the interaction?
Has anything important changed since I last interacted with them?
Do they want or need anything from me?
Do I have things I want or need to talk to them about?
Are there recent events regarding shared interests that can be discussed?

Specifics - Evaluation of another person.
Get a rough impression of them based on intuition and past knowledge
(this is usually a sub-conscious process, but I theorize that Se, Ne and Si are working together to gather data, reference it against past experiences, and make a quick evaluation)
Over time, I try to stay alert for subtle things that will tell me things about their value system, their interests and their motivations. Once I feel I have a decent picture of the person as a whole, I can determine if they are someone I might enjoy talking to, someone to avoid, or someone I'm simply indifferent toward.

Specifics - Evaluation of an object.
Ask what its intended use is.
Ask myself if I have any immediate use for it.
Ask myself what alternative uses I can think of for it.

Specifics - Evaluation of a value.
Since I already have a large mental database of existing values, the first step is to compare it to those and see if if can fit in the existing system somewhere. If its something I find myself opposed to on the basis of existing values, I ask what value it conflict with and what about it bothers me. I store the conclusions in my mental database. If I encounter a situation that can put the value in a new light or show it from a different perspective, I go back and re-evaluate it asking things like "when would this be acceptable, and when is it unacceptable" and "what about this alternative scenario makes the value more or less acceptable" and things of that nature.

Specifics - Evaluation of an idea.
When I get a new idea, I spend a lot of time looking at all the possible effects and figuring out what aspects of it I have problems with and then look at what redeeming values the idea has and weighing those against each other (since ideas usually involve value judgments of some kind, I filter the values inherent in the idea through my value system to look for things about it that are disagreeable and what things about it fit well with my values). After I feel a have a good grasp of the pros and cons of the idea I start looking for ways it could be improved or approached differently to mitigate the cons or enhance the positives. It is very common for me to have a large reservoir of ideas stored away and on occasion I pull one out and play with it tweaking the variables and such and just playing with all kinds of different "what if" scenarios. Most of my ideas are simply impractical, cost prohibitive or too idealistic to try to implement, but its still enjoyable to play with ideas and sometimes there is even a chance to try to incorporate one into daily life.

Specifics - Problem Solving
I ask myself what my concern is.
I ask myself what my options are.
I run through mental scenarios to evaluate the probable outcome of the various options.
I narrow those down to several of the most probable, the most desirable and the worst case scenarios.
I try to determine how plausible the desired result is and if there are multiple ways to reach that result.
- if there are multiple options with similar favorable results, I flag the less conventional approaches as preferable (even if its at a slight cost of efficiency or would need more effort) :)
I start asking what things I can effect to further increase the probability of favorable result.
I try to look for important things not to do to avoid causing problems.
I store those scenarios and variables in a mental filing system to have them available so I will be prepared when needed.

Edit/Append:
For a few more generalizations, a lot of my internal thoughts as I mentioend is question/conversation based - I ask questions until I think I've covered as much as I can think of about something. Sometimes I'm just talking to myself, but sometimes its like I'm in a virtual world talking to other specific people to bounce ideas off them (with my mind filling in what it thinks they would say/do). When I'm playing with an idea that involves physical aspects of the world (a lot of my ideas are emotional or sociatal in nature and the physical world need never be considered for their aplication), its a bit like I'm playing with a giant sandbox or VR erector set of somethign like that where I can add and remove things from the environment and see how that effects things. Yet another way to look at it would to be see myself as playing in a dreamworld where I can control time and make any changes I want and watch the effects of those changes from any angle I want and conjur others to talk to as way to try to figure out how things work or what the effects of various actions might be.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's like I'm standing in an infinite void between several specific arrangements of things. And they are all positioned in meaningful, representative ways next to each other, but their locations don't obey the normal laws of physics. These arrangements can occupy the same space, be in more than one place at a time, or any other number of things.

Each individual arrangement is a paradigm. The things within each arrangement are archetypes. The positions of the archetypes have fixed meanings based on the shape of the paradigm, and the particular combination and arrangement of archetypes within the paradigm gives it a unique resonance.

Different paradigms have varying levels of activity. When I want to do something or figure out something, the paradigms most closely related to it become more active. Then I "enter" one of the paradigms, and "possess" each archetype. I then make a note of which one felt most and least comfortable, and repeat the process for each active paradigm.

After this is done, I take the archetypes that felt most and least comfortable from all the paradigms, and create a new temporary paradigm with them, placing each of them in positions of importance relative to how they felt. I then observe the activity and interaction of the archetypes within the paradigm. Eventually, the events within the paradigm become symbolic, and I note the symbolism of each event within the paradigm in order.

Finally, I meditate on all the ways I'm aware of that the symbols could relate to one another, and I note that one "feels" more right than the others, once again. This usually produces the answer I'm looking for.

This actually happens a LOT faster than you'd think, every moment. Describing it took a lot longer than doing it would have, and the description was imperfect because of the nature of language.

EDIT: I think there's a definite parallel between my thought process and Astrology. Astrology seems like a possible result of someone incorrectly projecting their inner processes onto external objects, and assuming too much consistency in the connection between their inner processes and the outer world.

I used to think this way...I had forgotten..Thank you.

It's like processing or figuring out, by compartmentalized theory to handle the complexity, by chemistry or feel for a fit of logical reference to a level which can confidently be considered knowledge...but done with N moreso by far, than with T. Just takes longer..

The advantage is one can't be fooled.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
If it involves my kids then i have to be smart and sensible (act like a grown up).

Myself however, I do then think. Deal with the consequences when they arise although they are never bad like not paying rent or turning up for work late.

That's pretty much my thought process.

Simple, easy and practical. (and fun) ;)

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
An idea pops into my head, and I think, wow, what a great idea. Then, I mentally test the idea in different scenarios to see if it stands true. Usually it doesn't, and I discard the idea.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
An idea pops into my head, and I think, wow, what a great idea. Then, I mentally test the idea in different scenarios to see if it stands true. Usually it doesn't, and I discard the idea.

ARRRGHHHHH .. i know this totally goes against your type i believe. Why mentally test it. Why not just be spontaneous and go for it. See what happens. Your perception and the actual outcome may be totally different. You are potentially missing out on something great because you are in your safety net of thought. Make sense????

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
ARRRGHHHHH .. i know this totally goes against your type i believe. Why mentally test it. Why not just be spontaneous and go for it. See what happens. Your perception and the actual outcome may be totally different. You are potentially missing out on something great because you are in your safety net of thought. Make sense????

Because the idea might be like "lets go on a killing rampage!"

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I should totally do this.
-research-
Wow that takes way too much effort, I dunno if I can--
Ooh! King of the Hill marathon!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Because the idea might be like "lets go on a killing rampage!"

I knew someone would say some smart arse answer to this .. Thanks :huh:.

OK so you think killing rampage, great, just make sure you do it where they still have the chair/lethal injection available. One less psycho nut to worry about.

IF .. on the other hand, the idea is something like taking the initiative and asking someone out on a date, or applying for a job where you don't have all the skills but they are transferable .. then why not just go for it .. Why over analyze and talk yourself out of it???

That is technically what you do isn't it .. You talk yourself out of it?????

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I knew someone would say some smart arse answer to this .. Thanks :huh:.

OK so you think killing rampage, great, just make sure you do it where they still have the chair/lethal injection available. One less psycho nut to worry about.

IF .. on the other hand, the idea is something like taking the initiative and asking someone out on a date, or applying for a job where you don't have all the skills but they are transferable .. then why not just go for it .. Why over analyze and talk yourself out of it???

That is technically what you do isn't it .. You talk yourself out of it?????

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Ne, it leads to completely unrealistic ideas, so we think it through before doing.

And also, the main thing is because a large amount of our ideas aren't ideas for actions we could do, but theories about whatever intellectual subject has caught our interest. So we test them mentally.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ne, it leads to completely unrealistic ideas, so we think it through before doing.

And also, the main thing is because a large amount of our ideas aren't ideas for actions we could do, but theories about whatever intellectual subject has caught our interest. So we test them mentally.

See, this is where i just don't get INTx's .. Have you ever thought something through, knew it was a somewhat bad idea but still gone for it and it turned out to be good?

OK so where my ideas are about actions. Your ideas are mostly about subjects, but doesn't that kind of thinking across over into your actions (or lack of them).
Serious brain fart here .. maybe i am just not meant to understand how you lot work. You lot are to intellectual for me. Not that i am stupid but i have great life skills as opposed to being knowledgeable. :doh:

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
See, this is where i just don't get INTx's .. Have you ever thought something through, knew it was a somewhat bad idea but still gone for it and it turned out to be good?

OK so where my ideas are about actions. Your ideas are mostly about subjects, but doesn't that kind of thinking across over into your actions (or lack of them).
Serious brain fart here .. maybe i am just not meant to understand how you lot work. You lot are to intellectual for me. Not that i am stupid but i have great life skills as opposed to being knowledgeable. :doh:

Sure, there's been times when things have turned out better than I thought they would. On the other hand, at least for me, most of the time when I don't do some idea that pops into my head isn't because I think it would be bad, but because I'm already content where I am. There's not a whole lot more that I want. We say to ourselves "I don't wanna do this because it might go bad". We can handle things going bad. Rather, we say to ourselves "why do I want to do this? Even if it gives me some enjoyment, I can get that by doing other things."

Thinking for us isn't a tool per se, but one of our main forms of entertainment. We enjoy thinking and would do it all day if given the chance.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am presented with a problem.

I come up with my automatic solution. For some reason something pops up automatically, with really very little root in anything at all except I know that it's the best idea I have.

But usually this idea is unpalatable. So I try to think of a BETTER idea that will be less unpalatable and still get as good results.

Usually, this doesn't work. I go with the first idea.

My thinking is very simple compared to most of yours, isn't it?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sure, there's been times when things have turned out better than I thought they would. On the other hand, at least for me, most of the time when I don't do some idea that pops into my head isn't because I think it would be bad, but because I'm already content where I am. There's not a whole lot more that I want. We say to ourselves "I don't wanna do this because it might go bad". We can handle things going bad. Rather, we say to ourselves "why do I want to do this? Even if it gives me some enjoyment, I can get that by doing other things."

Thinking for us isn't a tool per se, but one of our main forms of entertainment. We enjoy thinking and would do it all day if given the chance.

Thank you so much for explaining that to me, my head doesn't hurt as much now ;). You enjoy thinking? Are you mad? (but then you haven't got the F, lucky you:)) lol

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Input (new idea/ new info/ knowledge etc) > what to do with it? (ignore? note it for later? is it a good idea? is it applicable? is it a problem? do I care?) > decide > do (or not).

... it's wrapped around whether I'm going to do anything about it or not. In the process I would weigh the pros and cons, sometimes involving actual tables, then decide the next action.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
External input-

Do I like this? Is it good? is it bad? Is it worth my time?

Then, "okay this is how I WANT to react/ what I want to say/ what I want to do, but does it make sense for me to go about it in this way? Remembers stuff that relates from the past. (Contradict the decision in as many ways as possible. Exhaust downsides)

Usually then I make the decision to act/say/react (usually how I want to rather than following the contradictions- since there is usually little harm/resistance in doing what I want.)

Now, if its a thing that I want to do, then, how do I organize it?

So beautiful day-puppies bored in cage-decide to take dogs for walk- NOW I need to get dressed, take a shower- (basically all the steps to make the thing happen.) This last process is skipped when its not regarding something that's going to happen.

If i'm learning something.

Told/read
Repeat somehow (writing, speech.)
Do. (Sometimes not possible if its a theory.)

So my thought process is pretty linear about everything.
Usually its pretty fast.
Sometimes I get caught between the good/bad/make sense steps which makes me really indecisive.