• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP and INFP differences

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
How can you tell the difference between an INTP and an INFP that highly values logical and objective thinking?

..I'm in one of those moods where I question my type again

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I have yet to find a satisfactory answer to this question. I suppose, in theory, an INFP who valued logical thinking would strive to be good at it (and probably achieve this), but would always have introverted feeling as their primary way of judging things. What that means in practical or behavioral terms is unclear to me.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say it's hard, you'd have to really get to know them. INTPs and INFPs are very similar on the outside without that (especially in when comparing two people of the same sex).

deleted
The INFP would likely try to take the STJ approach of Te, and the INTP has Ti.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^^Yes, but what would these two approaches look like behaviorally, and how could you differentiate between them? A lot of times I find that the CFs really lack in specificity to the point that almost any behavior could be interpreted as belonging to one (or a combination) of the functions.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I thought I'd give a better picture of my problem

I hold logical thinking as the highest authority, but I have also been somewhat sensitive.
non-confrontational but bluntly honest or at the very least ambiguously honest.
I'll fight for what I think is right, but what I think is right is based on what makes the most sense, so a logical argument easily makes me question my perspective. I can 'see' what people are feeling a lot of the time. I love talking philosophies, but I love talking feelings. I love coming to understandings about ideas as much as I love coming to understandings about people. I have been cold and indifferent but also warm and affirming to those close to me and those I just met. I'm very pessimistic. I tend to smile a lot, but also become detached easily. I have a strong need for independence. I don't feel right if I haven't 'connected' with someone in long period of time. People in general bore me unless they're talking about something meaningful.

Being a male also makes me think I may have adopted T traits.
I test as a high T but I think it may just be because I have a strong value for it.

I'm fairly certain I'm enneagram 5 balanced wing

edit: kinda changing it to a what type am I? :blush:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

Eh, we'll see how it goes from here. For the record, I can relate to what you've posted here quite a bit, and I consider myself to be INTP rather than INFP.

Edit: Actually, I don't know about the logic = highest authority bit. I mean, that may be the end result of my behavior, but I've never really been cognizant of the fact that it was the almighty "logic" that I was using and privileging over other ways of thinking. Until recently, I've never taken other ways of thinking into consideration, and therefore never had the need to categorize and name my thinking as "logic."

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can relate to some of the things you say here too, because i highly value logic when it comes to most things and situations, but those things and situations are usually things that do not fit into my value system. when it comes to things that are within my value system, i do not use logic at all. I just automatically know that such and such is wrong, and this and that is right. No logic can ever force me to change my opinion.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I can relate to some of the things you say here too, because i highly value logic when it comes to most things and situations, but those things and situations are usually things that do not fit into my value system. when it comes to things that are within my value system, i do not use logic at all. I just automatically know that such and such is wrong, and this and that is right. No logic can ever force me to change my opinion.

See I don't hold anything as absolute other than rational thinking itself. Everything is subject to logic. I can understand why people hold their values and have a respect for subjectivity as well, but it can actually be irritating when someone can't see past their values.

I'm sure it's possible that objective thinking could be an INFP's highest value though. Especially with an INTP father that always stressed free thinking as a very high importance.

Gauche

I thought I'd give a better picture of my problem

I hold logical thinking as the highest authority, but I have also been somewhat sensitive.
non-confrontational but bluntly honest or at the very least ambiguously honest.
I'll fight for what I think is right, but what I think is right is based on what makes the most sense, so a logical argument easily makes me question my perspective. I can 'see' what people are feeling a lot of the time. I love talking philosophies, but I love talking feelings. I love coming to understandings about ideas as much as I love coming to understandings about people. I have been cold and indifferent but also warm and affirming to those close to me and those I just met. I'm very pessimistic. I tend to smile a lot, but also become detached easily. I have a strong need for independence. I don't feel right if I haven't 'connected' with someone in long period of time. People in general bore me unless they're talking about something meaningful.

Being a male also makes me think I may have adopted T traits.
I test as a high T but I think it may just be because I have a strong value for it.

I'm fairly certain I'm enneagram 5 balanced wing

It might be that you are INFP but with very strong Ti as well, or vice-versa. Actually, if that is the case, you would be INXP, with both strong Ti and Fi.
It's the same thing with me. I'd put myself into NFs group if I had to, but I do act more like NTP more of the time. Fi seems to be primary for me, but it's "shadowed" by thriving Ti. You know, Fi is like a foundation of house, while Ti is walls. So usually Ti is on the surface, but if really tricky or serious (-emotionally) situation arise, Fi emerges and extinguish the fire (or invigorate).
Like the Fi is an old wiseman and Ti is a vigorous youngster in me. Fi was first there, but now lets the youngster move the mountains. Fi now only watch, and interfere only when the "wisdom" is needed.

Does it make sense?

deleted
^^Yes, but what would these two approaches look like behaviorally, and how could you differentiate between them? A lot of times I find that the CFs really lack in specificity to the point that almost any behavior could be interpreted as belonging to one (or a combination) of the functions.

Logical INFPs seem interested in what you have to say when it attributes to external logic or common sense I guess you can call it. Ti isn't usually common sense, because it likes to screw with logic in a creative way. So when you're explaining something to an INTP they always want to contribute their own ideas, where the INFP basically wants things clarified. Simple shit.

That's why the "what if..." factor is always static between INTPs and INFPs. It's Ne, but attributed to Ti, INFPs usually are confused. It's Ne, but attributed to Fi, INTPs usually are confused.

Gengar

MBTI Type
INFP
From my observations, INFPs generally question their type more often than INTPs.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
From my observations, INFPs generally question their type more often than INTPs.

Meh, somehow this response gets worked into any discussion involving people who may potentially be INFPs, and TBH, I don't find it all that helpful. Lots of people are confused about their type. It's almost inevitably part of the identification process (just look at the variation in all of the type reconsideration threads for proof of this).

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
It might be that you are INFP but with very strong Ti as well, or vice-versa. Actually, if that is the case, you would be INXP, with both strong Ti and Fi.
It's the same thing with me. I'd put myself into NFs group if I had to, but I do act more like NTP more of the time. Fi seems to be primary for me, but it's "shadowed" by thriving Ti. You know, Fi is like a foundation of house, while Ti is walls. So usually Ti is on the surface, but if really tricky or serious (-emotionally) situation arise, Fi emerges and extinguish the fire (or invigorate).
Like the Fi is an old wiseman and Ti is a vigorous youngster in me. Fi was first there, but now lets the youngster move the mountains. Fi now only watch, and interfere only when the "wisdom" is needed.

Does it make sense?

That does make sense

I don't really like the idea of X in a type, and I find it hard to believe that both Ti and Fi could be highly functioning in the same person. Ti and Fi are very similar. I believe the difference is in priority.

The bold clarified it for me though, thanks. I can see how INFP would start with obvious Fi and then learn through experience when objectivity is needed to fulfill the F needs. It's like T is the servant of F.

For me it has been the opposite. I've learned from F. I've gained understandings of it, like I had to use T to see F.

I think the way it works is that Fi learns when to prioritize on T and Ti learns when to prioritize on F.

I'm always giving advice to my F friends. Mostly INFPs. All that F thinking can mess with you. :alttongue:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Call me a sensor, but I want some examples (actually academic writing on many subjects usually demands examples for clarification). Cough 'em up, people! I feel like I'm the only person interested in hearing people's interpretations of their concrete experiences.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
Call me a sensor, but I want some examples (actually academic writing on many subjects usually demands examples for clarification). Cough 'em up, people! I feel like I'm the only person interested in hearing people's interpretations of their concrete experiences.

ugh.. details are so unnecessary

For me it has been the opposite. I've learned from F. I've gained understandings of it, like I had to use T to see F.

I would get self conscious at certain points in conversations. I didn't understand exactly why and I didn't have a lot of time to check through with Ti. I had to go back at a later time and think about exactly what it was that made me self conscious. When I went back I realized that something insignificantly insulting or something that went against my lifestyle had been said. I figure that Fi would be able to pinpoint it right away.

Im getting some sleep now, continue tomorrow

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would get self conscious at certain points in conversations. I didn't understand exactly why and I didn't have a lot of time to check through with Ti. I had to go back at a later time and think about exactly what it was that made me self conscious. When I went back I realized that something insignificantly insulting or something that went against my lifestyle had been said. I figure that Fi would be able to pinpoint it right away.

Im getting some sleep now, continue tomorrow

See, now was that so hard :D?