• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personal Development

LucrativeSid

What types are the most interested in personal development? (MBTI and Enneagram.)

What does personal development mean to you?

How do you pursue it?

How do you measure progress?

Do you have anything else to add? I hate the idea of watching you all follow a format here. ;)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What types are the most interested in personal development? (MBTI and Enneagram.)

NTJs.

Becoming generally happier and more content.

How do you pursue it?

I don't really. I just... do stuff.

My average level of happiness.

Do you have anything else to add? I hate the idea of watching you all follow a format here. ;)

Fear the pity post.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
personal development means knowing myself...making the most of what i got

pursue it through learning new stuff...mbti...ennegrams...consciously tracking my thoughts, actions and such

progress today is measured against achievements yesterday

i dunno...i got into mbti because is was avoiding work...then i started to find it really interesting cuz for me, its like a judge slamming that mallet down and declaring me ENTP...thats how strongly typed i am. it gives a 'justification' (for the lack of a better word), to my actions, no longer do i go back questioning shit over and over. mbti helped me come to terms with myself and work to better myself.

explains so much different shit that has happened around me

G

garbage

I think different types have different approaches to personal development. Books from Covey tend to cater to NTJs, and perhaps NFJs to a certain extent, for example.

I'd imagine that Enneagram 1 as perfection-seekers and 4 as identity-seekers might seek it the most.

Anyone who feels out of place is likely going to pursue it, though that's not to say that those who pursue it necessarily feel out of place.

Developing life balance and the ability to handle a wide variety of different situations, probably because I feel that my role in life is as a generalist and enabler.

How do you pursue it?

From everywhere.. I definitely consider myself a "sponge of knowledge," especially regarding psychology and personal growth. A few examples come to mind:

• I study MBTI and other personality profiling tools.
  • I read books on personal development, including many of Covey's, test out their ideas, and use what I find useful.
  • I have a mind map that keeps track of my weekly activities and accomplishments and how they map to the roles I play and the goals I've set for myself.. this is based on something that I read from Covey :)
  • I go to Sunday School despite being a nontheist, and I'm acquainted with the distilled wisdom of many religious texts.
  • I test myself in a variety of situations many people would never throw themselves into, one of which has had me share a bunch of personal struggles with strangers and friends alike.
  • I have psychological conversations with my therapist, and I often bounce my thoughts and feelings off of others.
  • I try almost everything I'm presented with.
  • I'm learning a bunch of new skills, and I tend to trade off with a new set of them every few months.
  • I occasionally take non-addictive psychedelics so I can experience altered states of mind.. and experience the experience of altering a state of mind, if that makes sense.

By discovering more myself and testing my ability to push my own boundaries. I find that I rarely disappoint myself when I actually give myself a chance.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I don't know, all could be, I'm ESTP and I am.

Discovering one's innate dispositions, understanding what those dispositions are and how your brain's use of them is a component of experiencing your reality, assessing one's strengths and being thankful for them, identifying one's weaknesses and formulating a realistic strategy to develop in areas that are deficient.

How do you pursue it?

So far I know my MBTI and Enneagram types, I am learning what they mean, I have identified which aspects of these two apply to me, I have not gotten to the point of identifying all my weaknesses or making a plan to mitigate them.

My sense of inner peace, happiness, and the knowledge that I am more so than ever doing what I feel and think is the right thing to do as I am more self aware than ever before.

There are many tools to pursue self discovery, MBTI/Enneagram are both great, but I would hate for anyone really interested in this pursuit to forego feedback from those who have known them for many years, or even a professional counselor. No one or two tests will tell you everything!

:D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Based on the forum stats, not ESTJ.

My guess would be INXJ for the use of personality type of personal development. XNTP for understanding personality using typology systems.

Continual improvement. Recognizing strengths and finding new skills to compliment them and spotting areas of weaknesses for corrections.

How do you pursue it?
Same way I pursue anything else... step at a time... observation then lots of practice.

Observation <- measure understanding. Can I fit everything together into something that makes sense? Did I get a complete picture? Can I recognize cognitive function usages in others and how they use it?

Practice <- measure results. Did it help? Do others notice a difference?

On the whole, I don't really track progress, because the process is never ending. I just look at how well something is working out to determine what my next step should be.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Enneagram - I would think Type 3, since they are the most achieving of all. Maybe Type 1 too.

Improving myself in different ways. Basically making myself a better person based on my beliefs.

How do you pursue it?

By working on whatever it is I need to improve upon.

Good question. By comparing myself in specific areas to what I was before the 'development'. This way I can see if I've made improvements.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
LucrativeSid said:

No type is more interested in personal development than any other, they just have different approaches.

Understanding MBTI and Enneagram is not the same as personal development, they can be tools used in that respect but people can be self aware and do fine without them.

Based on the forum stats, not ESTJ.

I believe this kind of environment is not the best medium for ESTJs, to be honest I don’t see it as that much help for my own personal development either. I don’t know anyone more interested in this area than my ESTJ mother, she has dedicated the past 20 or so years of her life to personal development both for her own understanding and to help those around her and is the reason me and my siblings are so interested in understanding and developing ourselves as well.

LucrativeSid

Note: The only question that has anything to do with typology is the first question. I wasn't talking about personal development in a typology based way, but in an all on it's own way. Putting type in there would only limit it's capabilities.

I should have spent more time making this thread.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well it's nice to use MBTI to assess yourself first and foremost. BS, pseudo-science or whatever else, the truth is, MBTI made me realize really important stuff about who I am.

I now know what I like about myself and what I want to change. Progress is measured by personal comfort when facing aspects of your life or of yourself that you always dismissed or disliked (like routine for me, as an example), I'd say.

Damir

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram

i dont konw

:hi: i get positive feelings just from growth, and becoming more mature,and aware.

How do you pursue it?

Trought, some but really good theory,and allot of experience.

i compare myself to others

Dr Paul - mind os is the best stuff that i have find out

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
No single type is interested in personal development over another. They just go about it in different ways.