• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts in Isolation

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
We all know how extroverts are in public. Extroverts are the life of the party, the attention whores, the leaders, the doers, or whatever else. Not to say there aren't any introverts like this. Extroverts just tend to be described like this more than introverts.

But what is it like being alone for long periods of time? Like a full weekend or even weeks or longer. Do you always find yourself reaching for the phone or chatting on the internet?

Introverts, feel free to describe what it's like as well.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
its different. there have been several weekends when i would screen calls more umm...lets say thoroughly. my friends would wonder whatever the hell happened to me

i enjoy these weekends. they are spent either watching marathon of movies and shows or learning new and interesting stuff or reading fiction...non-fiction rarely interests me unless its hands-on or psycho shit like mbti

then on sunday night ill go out to dinner with ma homies and i will enjoy this particular meal waaay more than my lunch...tv and the internet only get you so far

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Weeks alone.. incredible. No way. I go pathologically depressed after 3 weeks of relative isolation, like when I'm sick.

I can have feeling of isolation from personality, but then I'll seek some stimulus anyway.

I feel it's a hard extrovert thing to seek stimulus even though you feel you'll lack the connection.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Extroverts in isolation gradually go insane. I like watching them go crazy as they see no one wanting to be around them. Three weeks of seclusion sounds awesome to me!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We all know how extroverts are in public.

I'm most probably extrovert but what you've described is not extroversion according to MBTI. Being the life of the party/the attention whores/the leaders/the doers is not the same as extroversion. Just as being secluded/timid/withdrawn/quiet is not introversion. Extroverts get their energy from external stimuli, this does not have to be people.

Long periods on my own do not faze me, I love, even need, my alone time. I hate phones. I do not need to be around other people all the time. I’d much rather spend my time on my own doing things that I’m passionate about then being around people for the sake of being around people.

mortabunt said:
Extroverts in isolation gradually go insane.

Nope. As long as I have something to do isolation is fine.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Grizzly Man was an extreme extrovert who preferred animals to humans. Unfortunately, it led to his demise. Extroversion isn't always about seeking human interaction, it's about getting gratification from what is outside the self.

050817_grizzlyMan_hmed.hlarge.jpg

grizzlyman.jpg

It made for a great movie.

Grizzly_man_ver2.jpg

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Depends. When I'm alone for let's say a week, I go and do fun stuff I can't do when I'm not alone. That's no problem for me at all! I start pranking people, or I go shopping and then I'll just buy some presents for everyone I like. But I hate it when I'm in a group of people where everyone refuses to talk to me and where I get no attention at all. I hate being treated like that and it just freaks me out when people are acting that way. If something like that happen to me, I become very silent and then I start to make evil plans to ruin those people's lives. I can't help it.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Grizzly Man was an extreme extrovert who preferred animals to humans. Unfortunately, it led to his demise. Extroversion isn't always about seeking human interaction, it's about getting gratification from what is outside the self.

050817_grizzlyMan_hmed.hlarge.jpg

grizzlyman.jpg

It made for a great movie.

Grizzly_man_ver2.jpg

This is an excellent example. Though (supposedly) an E, I much prefer time spent alone. I really like traveling, hiking, taking long walks with the goal of checking things out, going to museums, (...I just realized this sounds a little like a personal ad, sorry for the digression...) and just thinking and "being" by myself. If it weren't for my children, I could probably go several weeks without any contact with other humans (save that which is necessary for survival, such as grocery shopping and related activities). When I was in my 20s I ran about 45-50 miles a week, primarily for that reason. I never tire of being alone. I think my E comes out mostly when there are things that need to be done or when I feel like I need feedback from others regarding thoughts or ideas. I know I have blind spots in my thought processes, especially when it comes to anticipating the emotional aspects of an issue, so I like to consult with others to see how they work.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
enjoy these weekends. they are spent either watching marathon of movies and shows or learning new and interesting stuff or reading...

Long periods on my own do not faze me, I love, even need, my alone time. I hate phones. I do not need to be around other people all the time. I’d much rather spend my time on my own doing things that I’m passionate about then being around people for the sake of being around people.

Nope. As long as I have something to do isolation is fine.

I could probably go several weeks without any contact with other humans (save that which is necessary for survival, such as grocery shopping and related activities). When I was in my 20s I ran about 45-50 miles a week, primarily for that reason. I never tire of being alone.

All of this pretty much sums it up for me.

G

garbage

Interesting to see this from the T perspective.. mine's different ;)

I'd treated myself as an introvert for many, many years, shying away from people. I was also miserable. Anymore, I can't go for more than a day without talking to someone, and I've always got a chatroom open when I'm stuck doing work in isolation. But I do a fair amount of introspection and I do live alone, so take that as you will.

As far as thinking, learning, and my interests, I'm just at my best when I'm interacting with or bouncing ideas off of other people.