• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Games and functions

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a hard time diferentiating when I'm using Te and Ti in a gaming environment, but gaming of most kinds is one of my primary hobbies. Here are my hypothesis on function and gaming.

Te - Long term planning and strategy building.
Ti - Adapting to changes as they occur.

A typical turn based strategy game would make use of both Ti and Te, and I think which one you naturally prefer would influnce how you play the game. I think someone with a Te preference would enjoy learning the rules and making a game plan to leverage them and test its practice in actual gameplay, Te would also be concerned with planning ahead for branches caused by outside forces. Ti would also want to understand the rules, but it would be from more of a theoretical/mechanical standpoint so that they could make the best use of things as they occur. I beleive that Ti would be more likely to just skim the rules and just jump into playing adapting as they go and Te would want to read the rules completely and use that as the starting point for forming a strategy.

Where I find inconstancy in myself in this theory of Ti and Te is that when I get a computer turn based strategy game, I will usually read the rules completely before even trying the tutorial, then I will not work on a comprehensive strategy until I've played a few test games to see if my ideas worked and I understood the concepts as I thought I did or not. When it comes to board games tho, I will just want a brief overview of the rules and want to learn as I go. This probably has to do with the unpredictability intriduced by human players, but I'd say I approach computer strategy games from a Te focus and board games more from a Ti focus and its generaly not dependant on the specific game.

Even though real time strategy games do involve strategy and adaptation, I think these types of games are equaly if not more dependant on Se for quick impulse reactions.

Ne and Ni would both be interacting with other functions while gaming to either help forumlate strategies or more often to analyze and adapt to the events of the game.

Si would be good for remebering things like what works well against what situations and anything else where recalling the past may be beneficial to aiding in future strategies or reacting to common events.

Using Fi and Fe strategically may seem to go against the nature of those functions, but in games involving diplomacy or other interactions with other players, they can help with putting yourself in their shoes and working tactfully with them to form alliances. Playing games will probably not develop Fi or Fe, but the benfits of understanding your opponents and not having them all wanting to kill you at the same time can be rather important. :)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So I threw together this function analysis for StarCraft:

Te - Most notable use is pre-game, where build orders and other things are calculated out for maximum efficiency.

Ti - Used more tactically than Te. Quickly assessing the game state, quickly maximizing potential in a battle. "My 18 hydras and 36 zerglings versus his 5 Siege Tanks and 24 marines. Time to retreat."

Ni - Creating a vision of how the game will play out, and working to fulfill it. "I want go for an economical build, do a contain for a little bit to give me time to expand. He's going to try and harass with sairs, and quickly mass enough army to break the contain. I'll get some lurks and keep retreating and burrowing to stall for time as I gather my own army.... etc."

Se - "Instinctual responses", such as moving your hydras out of a storm, or sniping scourges.

Si - Noticing hard to miss things such as cloaked DTs or a Defiler in the middle of a large battle. Recognizing common situations and what to do.

Ne - Formulating possibilities of what the enemy is doing and how to counter. "He's pushing out now. He's probably finished Defiler tech, and is likely going to use this attack as a chance to expand again."

Fe - Manipulating the opponent. "I'll retreat just a bit now. It'll make him think that my reinforcements are drying up so he'll pursue. In actuality this is just a feint to make him overextend."

Fi - Recognizing the opponent's mental state. "The opponent is getting impatient and frustrated. I've been avoiding a direct confrontation, and slowly picking off his troops. His play is getting sloppier, and he's missing more things. Now would be a good time to attack."

Also, yes, I do believe I combined some of the functions (especially I infused Ne into stuff). Deal.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That makes a lot of sense.

deleted
Yeah just play Starcraft, and you'll become superhuman like a lot of us.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Oh when I said Warcraft being a heavy Si game, I meant World of Warcraft.

Warcraft/Starcraft is mainly Ne/Te.

That's why WoW is so addicting to me. The mathematical formulas behind all of the skills, talents, characters, omg, I loved it. Then the game is so structured and laid out, just like an ISTJ wants.

I don't know about noticing details around you being Si. That seems more Se. I keep finding myself going back to RTS games, but I tend to formulate a strategy hours before I actually play, then implement while I'm playing and stick to that one strategy. I don't play just to adapt to changing circumstances and that's why I don't play it online. I suck at that. RTS games just tug at my Te.

FPS games seem like the best for developing Se. When I started learning how to drive, my mother and sister were amazed at how good my reflexes are. I attributed that to my years of FPS games, haha. Diablo 2, I can attest to being Si/Te also. It might have some aspects of Ni/Ne too.

I would've thought checkers/chess was Ne also.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Examples of games, or mindset of activity, that rely most heavily on a function:

Ni - Risk/Clue/Canasta/Yahtzee/Mama Mia/Jambo
Ne - Taboo/Balderdash/Scattergories/Myst/Sim City
Si - Warcraft/Diablo/Halo/Capture the Flag/Red Rover
Se - Tetris/Pong/Pacman/Wii-mote action games/Hide-n-seek
Fi - Silent Hill/Final Fantasy/Metal Gear Solid/Charades/Pictionary
Fe - The Sims/Life/Mother May I/RL social games like...Password/Cranium/Apples to Apples
Ti - Scrabble/Poker/Trivial Pursuit/Boggle/Balderdash(for a different reason if you catch my drift
evilgrin0039.gif
)
Te - Chess/Checkers/Qwirkle/Carcassonne/Dvonn/Football/Simon Says

If you induce these games to kids while they're extremely young, they will likely develop these function tendencies to a certain extent lol. Depends, though. Kids like games :) not all games.

If you become engulfed, the game will definitely help you with developing that function.

Civ is Ne/Te.

i was playing a lot chess before and at age 10 (Te)

-a WoW style game from like 10 to 11 (Si) but i was terrible at it

-i played a lot of Red Alert, Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, 12 onward (Te?) i didnt really like playing the way you were "supposed to" ie i liked doing things as ridiculous and over the top as possible: 150 monks or 100 trebechets to just overwhelm the enemy at ONE epic battle...every four tiles a bombard tower to make an unattackable fortress.

-i also played the Sims a lot (Fe)... i would again, enjoy playing it the way you ARENT supposed to haha. i would try to make my Sims as miserable as possible :devil:, but still have a nice house haha.

-the only video games i can honeslty say that im good at are football video games. the strategy part is easy for me (Te/Ni?)

-im HORRENDUS at Halo, super smash or any button/stick intense game (Se)

so by Lemmons system :newwink: id be:
Te > Ni > Fe > Ne > Ti > Si > Se > Fi

i dont really find it that accurate... but its a nice little video game system :D

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even though real time strategy games do involve strategy and adaptation, I think these types of games are equaly if not more dependant on Se for quick impulse reactions.

Ne and Ni would both be interacting with other functions while gaming to either help forumlate strategies or more often to analyze and adapt to the events of the game.

Si would be good for remembering things like what works well against what situations and anything else where recalling the past may be beneficial to aiding in future strategies or reacting to common events.

Using Fi and Fe strategically may seem to go against the nature of those functions, but in games involving diplomacy or other interactions with other players, they can help with putting yourself in their shoes and working tactfully with them to form alliances. Playing games will probably not develop Fi or Fe, but the benfits of understanding your opponents and not having them all wanting to kill you at the same time can be rather important. :)
Yes, I think so. These were great points. Like you, though, I found mixed evidence for the Ti vs. Te styles.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The thing that drew me to the original Super Mario was all the possibilities with secret passages (trying out different pipes or blocks, etc) and hidden things. Drove my Ne wild. Later incarnations of it seem to be more about dexterity (Se), and just do not have the same magic of the original.

If Pacman is an Se game; I'm not sure why I'm so into it. The physical and tactical aspect of it always made it tricky and - don't get as far as I probably could with more Se skill.

Tetris I assumed was Te, and it used to remind me of working as a store stock man and stacking boxes.. It was that that seemed like an evidence of a possible "relief" Te use, but now it's being suggested as really Ti? That would make sense for my prodessed type. But it does seem that the goal in either case is external efficiency: filling every space for maximum clearance. I wondered if maybe it could be said that an internal framework was somehow involved.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The thing that drew me to the original Super Mario was all the possibilities with secret passages (trying out different pipes or blocks, etc) and hidden things. Drove my Ne wild. Later incarnations of it seem to be more about dexterity (Se), and just do not have the same magic of the original.

If Pacman is an Se game; I'm not sure why I'm so into it. The physical and tactical aspect of it always made it tricky and - don't get as far as I probably could with more Se skill.

Tetris I assumed was Te, and it used to remind me of working as a store stock man and stacking boxes.. It was that that seemed like an evidence of a possible "relief" Te use, but now it's being suggested as really Ti? That would make sense for my prodessed type. But it does seem that the goal in either case is external efficiency: filling every space for maximum clearance. I wondered if maybe it could be said that an internal framework was somehow involved.

I'd venture to guess tetris requires some sort of intuition. You have to be able to plan ahead.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i like audiosurf. it requires Si, so you remember to play it more than once a year and Se to listen to the music, and Ni, so you don't get bored, when there are no bricks on the road, because you have chosen a hemi sync soundtrack.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd venture to guess tetris requires some sort of intuition. You have to be able to plan ahead.
Planning ahead would be more Te as well. It's a judgment or decision making process, not perception. I also meany to mention that it is also probably easier with good Se. (living and being able to respond in the here and how). When I use Ne, I end up not getting the pieces I need to fill in a particular section (that I had trusted in the possibility of), and eventually find myself swamped.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Planning ahead would be more Te as well. It's a judgment or decision making process, not perception. I also meany to mention that it is also probably easier with good Se. (living and being able to respond in the here and how). When I use Ne, I end up not getting the pieces I need to fill in a particular section (that I had trusted in the possibility of), and eventually find myself swamped.

Inferring possibilities and making plans are two different things.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Settlers of Catan is definitely an Ni game with some Fe.

Civ is Ne/Te.

Odd. I rule at Catan, but seriously get stressed when playing Civ. Constantly feel like I'm forgetting something, whereas during Catan I don't pay attention to my opposition, I just play the underdog and enjoy the actual game. They tend to forget about me and not realize I'm about to win that way. Civ constantly gives me the feeling like I don't have a clear oversight of what's going on.

deleted
Odd. I rule at Catan, but seriously get stressed when playing Civ. Constantly feel like I'm forgetting something, whereas during Catan I don't pay attention to my opposition, I just play the underdog and enjoy the actual game. They tend to forget about me and not realize I'm about to win that way. Civ constantly gives me the feeling like I don't have a clear oversight of what's going on.

If it makes you feel any better, I prefer to play Fi games. Rather I like the Fi aspects in games, like characters and complicated stories. I also got to love rich settings and landscapes, so what is that Se?