• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

question for the Feelers

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've had this unanswered question for a long time. Now this is hard, with bias as a Thinker, so I'm asking others: What value does logical thinking have in life, outside of the math classroom? I mean, yes, critical thinking is important, and checking proofs is important like in philosophy. But besides that, any interaction with a person should be handled with emotions, not logic. It's been said that we never use anything higher than basic math in our daily lives, and philosophy moves so slow, its no wonder why no one likes it. Why do you spend 35% of your life at work? Because you love it--not for some logical reason.

I can almost find any situation that can go without direct logical thinking. If this is true, which it seems plausible, then what place does an INTP have? I'm finding that my understanding of everything from conversation cadence to music to emotions and everything else is built on logic, and I think its bullshit.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Logic gets results in lots of non-emotional areas.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it can and should be mixed with emotions i think. when making decisions such as where to work, where to live, who to spend your life with...all of those things need a balance of both i believe....give me some of that logic. i could use it. :cheese:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had this unanswered question for a long time. Now this is hard, with bias as a Thinker, so I'm asking others: What value does logical thinking have in life, outside of the math classroom?

Well, strict logic, like math/philosophy - perhaps not as much value.

But the skills used in logic, and objective analyzing and assessing, are extremely useful in life, in my opinion. I guess I've never viewed it as not useful? Many jobs/careers require a more logical bent than a people-based/emotional one. Granted, a blending of both tends to be most useful in working smoothly with others or on a team, but many jobs and performance reviews are results-based -- and much of the work done within a corporation is incredibly objective and cutthroat/emotionless at times. People are there to get the job done.

In everyday life - this isn't exactly 'logic', but just in how I organize my days/weeks sometimes...I'll optimize my time by figuring out the most efficient order of running errands and getting things accomplished. Or in preparing for my trips/traveling -- I definitely don't get all the details ironed out (that would be annoying to me!), but I'll figure out the most logical 'path'/route to take while traveling. There are a lot of logistical things that need to be dealt with in 'the real world' - and that's where it's helpful. Or simply making life decisions - I'll always factor in what 'makes sense' as far as the timing/logistics of what I'm planning to do. It's an important piece of the puzzle for me.

If any of that makes sense.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So it seems logic has use. But it still seems that it has significantly less use than subjective thought. For example, what if you did your errands inefficiently and took your time, and stopped to smell the roses? You'd get less done. Boo.

But how about ethics? It never ends. Leadership skills? Parenting skills? Social skills? How much more important is 'emotional intelligence' than Calculus?

I'm beginning to believe that T/F is not as much of a mirror image continuum as it seems.

Is this making any sense?

maliafee

When you are having an argument with someone (like someone you're in a relationship with) and you only use emotion and fail to be logical, you can at times appear crazy, psycho, irrational, unattractive, over-emotional, stupid, etc., etc., etc.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Math makes up and unwinds the beautiful stars we love. Love and logic. Paired.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Logic isn't exactly a huge priority to me, but it's good to have in life.

Snow Turtle

Funny... I'd say spending 35% of your time doing what you love is a rather logical thing to do. Most 'logical' thought is based on values which is mostly subjective.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Funny... I'd say spending 35% of your time doing what you love is a rather logical thing to do. Most 'logical' thought is based on values which is mostly subjective.

I'm saying we wouldn't go "Well there's x number of middle school teachers, and more high school teachers, so I'll teach middle school."

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Math makes up and unwinds the beautiful stars we love. Love and logic. Paired.

+1. Logic and love should work together; T and F should do the same. One just stays dominant over the other, and in your case it's T. That doesn't mean you don't have an F to be developed. :yes:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Logic is good for systems and thinks that work logically. Know what I'm saying?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Logic is good for arguments, political debate, etc. You may feel irrationally, but that is not a problem. Logic helps you to behave with at least some rationality. We make economic decisions all the time, too. Whether to walk or take your bike is an economic decision, for instance.

Snow Turtle

I'm saying we wouldn't go "Well there's x number of middle school teachers, and more high school teachers, so I'll teach middle school."

That's illogical in some ways.

Say I was working as a team co-ordinator. I wouldn't put someone with X trait in a position that doesn't utilise it's abilities. For that reason I'd say it can be pretty important for people to do what they love as opposed to just filling in a space. It's just inefficient because these people won't working at full potential/giving it their best.

So...

Which logical system are you talking about?

L

Lasting_Pain

Logic can be used when giving presentations, job interviews, and any other formal things that come with life. If you are in the business world, you will have to rely on logic more so than emotion on a daily basis.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ethos and logos...they go hand in hand, one is not better than the other and one is not more useful than the other.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I am pretty sure that not that many people use logic in the strict sense of mathematical logic all that often, especially in their ordinary thinking. I think "logic" in the common meaning is more about decision making procedures that allow you to make logical connections between the things that you perceive at a given moment.

For example, you may be in a situation where you have to make a decision, and you see that this situation is analogous to a situation that you've dealt with in the past, or that you've heard others deal with...you then use this analogical reasoning to come to a conclusion about what you should do in your present situation.

Logic in the mathematical or philosophical sense (though there are a lot of "logics", even in this category) is different than the logic that you employ in practical reasoning, and mostly because the type of basic logic that comes intuitively in daily life is tacit, and not perceived in the form of "if p then q..."

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In interpersonal relationships there is a big difference between a reasonable person and an unreasonable person. The difference have a lot to do with prevalence of logical fallacies in their thinking. While it is true that many fallacies are effective in communicating with people, being aware of these tendencies in oneself makes self less open to manipulation by others. Also, recognizing what strategies are effective with other people can provide the desired results. Sometimes the most reasoned course is to specifically use a logical fallacy if that is the means to the end. If your employer primarily responds positively to flattery, then if you need a raise in order to not lose your home, the reasoned choice is to flatter the boss when requesting the raise. The strictly emotional impulse might be to appeal to their sympathy, but realizing how they think and what will actually motivate them is the more reasoned approach. That is different that being driven by the mood or emotion of the moment. It requires a great deal of analysis and reason.

If you want a metaphor to speak to someone who thinks primarily in technical terms, then try this. Human reasoning and behavior is a bit like a poorly written computer program. It works some of the time, but was designed inefficiently and contains many bugs. Still everything contained within it acts as a result of cause and effect. The program only does what it was programmed to do. In a case where the code cannot be redesigned, you have to work with what is there even if it isn't entirely efficient or well reasoned in its design. Think of the irrationality of people in this way, and then you can apply logic and reason to some extent to solve the issues. The main difference is that people are shaped by trillions of details, so there is not a way to view the code and decipher every cause and effect. Because of this often an intuitive approach is necessary, or using approaches to get the results you want even if you can't understand the person's process entirely.

L

Lasting_Pain

I am pretty sure that not that many people use logic in the strict sense of mathematical logic all that often, especially in their ordinary thinking. I think "logic" in the common meaning is more about decision making procedures that allow you to make logical connections between the things that you perceive at a given moment.

For example, you may be in a situation where you have to make a decision, and you see that this situation is analogous to a situation that you've dealt with in the past, or that you've heard others deal with...you then use this analogical reasoning to come to a conclusion about what you should do in your present situation.

Logic in the mathematical or philosophical sense (though there are a lot of "logics", even in this category) is different than the logic that you employ in practical reasoning, and mostly because the type of basic logic that comes intuitively in daily life is tacit, and not perceived in the form of "if p then q..."

Yea, I agree with what you say. We use logic everyday, we just do not realize it.